TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know the answer, but I love this question! lol

Maybe we should make some guesses? However, you will have to start because I don't know where to begin.
NO IDEA! It bugs me though. I think we're missing something here.

I'm not sure if you're questioning if it is true that not everything was released. So, to answer that question (in case you are asking), the article in the Seattle Times says something about "among other receipts" and other articles imply there is more than what has been released to the public. (Someone else who is keeping better tabs on that can insert a link here.) Also, this is a typical LE thing to do: leave out some details so we know who is legit when they come forward and know those details.

That's the question that all of us are wondering! My guess? LE/Velling (the SSA agent) were also stumped OR they figured that might tip off the person who said, "that lady kinda looks like so-and-so who was really into parachuting."

There are so many unknowns in this case! I wish Velling would put all his case notes on the internets and let us have a hay day. Wouldn't that be fun?!
Mandiedq, you always make good sense.

Did anybody see the old Sci-Fi movie "THX1138"? There is a great scene at the end of the movie where the protagonist is about to escape, but the evil robot cops are about to catch him. Suddenly, the evil robot cops have to turn back because their budget ran out and the protagonist escapes. Velling may be in a similar position. Especially with recent cutbacks, I suspect his investigation budget on this one has pretty much run out. Therefore, I suspect that, if he's smart, he's shared most of his file with us. Because, lets face it, as far as further investigation is concerned, we're it.

(respectfully snipped for space) Because, lets face it, as far as further investigation is concerned, we're it.

No, "we" here at WS, are not it. The key to this case is to get the story out to the general public. Somebody, somewhere might recognize her. So far it has only been published/broadcasted to a small part of the US population. It needs to be broadcasted nationally.

No, "we" here at WS, are not it. The key to this case is to get the story out to the general public. Somebody, somewhere might recognize her. So far it has only been published/broadcasted to a small part of the US population. It needs to be broadcasted nationally.
We certainly need to spread the story as far as possible.

Upon re-reading the ST article, the only items that are specifically said to have been in the strongbox are: the name change document, the letter of reference, pages from an Arizona phone book (not produced) , BST's birth certificate, "scraps of paper with scribbled notes", and "an Idaho ID card". However, the article states that the '88 Idaho ID was a "tidbit" that Velling just discovered "last week", so how could it have been in the strongbox?

Anyway it doesn't specifically say that the parachuting certificate was in the strongbox. In fact, it is very vague about exactly what was in the strongbox.

Exactly my point, we don't really know what was in the locked box....

Ok, folks. Please use the topic-specific threads instead of this one. If there isn't a topic specific thread (such as "unclaimed money"), make one! This really helps streamline the conversation and avoiding repeat information. Each of us can concentrate on one topic without being "interrupted" by thoughts from another trail altogether.

Here is the link to the forum with all the FLEK forum!

Mysterious woman from Longview, Texas - Websleuths Crime Sleuthing Community

Alternately, if you're in a FLEK thread and want to go back to the main forum, you can click on the part I circled in YELLOW below and go back to the root folder of the forum. (The red arrow points to the bold name of the thread you are currently in.)

adhu.jpg
Sorry I'm pretty new I don't know how to even do that :blushing:

Anyway it doesn't specifically say that the parachuting certificate was in the strongbox. In fact, it is very vague about exactly what was in the strongbox.

if one uses your nic, the most obvious explanation for the certificate is the hope that the instructor, pilot, or someone else associated with the business *or class* would come forward with information. it's a very specific document.

the unknowns from the investigation are nearly as interesting as the case itself -- what else was in the box, what leads have already been pursued, etc. it does make things a little frustrating from the public side.

if one uses your nic, the most obvious explanation for the certificate is the hope that the instructor, pilot, or someone else associated with the business *or class* would come forward with information. it's a very specific document.

the unknowns from the investigation are nearly as interesting as the case itself -- what else was in the box, what leads have already been pursued, etc. it does make things a little frustrating from the public side.

And parachuting is what most people I think would consider a somewhat unique thing for a woman to do. So, as you said, maybe it could jostle someone's attention / memory, perhaps an instructor or fellow classmates.

If that is the case, then why was the paragliding certificate one of the pieces of evidence Velling/ST decided to release to the public? True, we don't know all of the items in that box. But of the items that were in the box that have been released, this is the only one that has no apparent connection with creating/maintaining a new identity (except for the notes page which is so cryptic nobody knows what it means). Perhaps Velling released it for the same reason, he was puzzled by the apparent anomaly. Or he hoped somebody from the class would remember her. At any rate this box was "hidden" (Velling's word) at the bottom of her closet, and her husband was forbidden to touch it. It contained items which, if found, could blow her world apart. Why would this seemingly innocuous certificate be included in that category?

I'm new here, so excuse any errors, please. For what it's worth, there is a skydiving place located in Whitewright Texas, approximately 10 miles from Leonard, Texas, it is Skydive Dallas.Also, has it ever been established what or why they located in Leonard, Texas. Thanks in advance.

I can't make out the last name of the instructor on the certificate, but this is the only "Rich" with a last name beginning with the letter E that I could find who is presently a pilot. It is in the area, where LEK was living at that time, in the Dallas / McKinney, Texas area.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the full last name, so I'm not. There is also a phone #, which I will also not post.

Don't you all think that LE would have already contacted these people though ?... surely....

http://www.parachutepilot.com/States/texas_instructors.htm
Princeton Richard En....

Does anyone else here find it odd that there were previously two Lori's in the Ruff family before our LEK married into the family? An aunt and a cousin-in-law. Someone has already mentioned the possibility that she may have sought Blake out for some reason. I mean, she became the third female with that name in this family. Just seems a little eery to me.

I can't make out the last name of the instructor on the certificate, but this is the only "Rich" with a last name beginning with the letter E that I could find who is presently a pilot. It is in the area, where LEK was living at that time, in the Dallas / McKinney, Texas area.
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post the full last name, so I'm not. There is also a phone #, which I will also not post.

Don't you all think that LE would have already contacted these people though ?... surely....

http://www.parachutepilot.com/States/texas_instructors.htm
Princeton Richard En....
If the school still exists, which is doubtful, LE might have contacted them. At any rate, they would have known her long after she became LK, so they are unlikely to be able to shed any light on her origins.

I was interested, because I thought it was sequestered in the strongbox. It may just be scrap paper that the Ruffs found in her house, and forwarded to Velling because in Longview, parasailing is considered exotic. There are lots of reasons she might go parasailing, the main one being that it is fun.

ClaireNC, Reasonable minds can differ, but the fact that her grades shot through the roof on one day and were terrible on the other days is EXTREMELY suspicious. Also I beg to differ, in that reading and writing skills are intertwined (I don't mean handwriting itself, I mean the ability to express yourself with the written word). The writing portion of the GED has both multiple choice and an essay. If she had done so much reading, why couldn't she write a simple essay? At least enough to beat a 58%? On science she got 43%! That doesn't mean 43% of the population at large, that's 43% of the people who took the GED! I know several people who took the GED test, in Texas, and none of them are rocket scientists, believe me. And they all said it was extremely easy.

I'm not trying to be condescending. FLEK was obviously a very smart cookie. But as far as "book learning", she seems self taught to me. And I find the sudden near doubling of her scores on 4/14/90, and then back to D's/F's the next week is too much for me to swallow.

I have a Master's in Library Science & was an undergrad English major. Writing is a completely different animal than reading. That's why they are taught separately. Reading comprehension can be taught before Kindergarten, writing the English language is something taught later. I taught underprivileged students in a border town school district in Texas. I had elementary through high school.

It's like learning any foreign language--reading is easier than forming proper grammatical sentences in the same language. That's why Spanish speakers who sign up for Spanish get D's. It's the written portion that trips them up.

And parachuting is what most people I think would consider a somewhat unique thing for a woman to do. So, as you said, maybe it could jostle someone's attention / memory, perhaps an instructor or fellow classmates.

I wish we had a video of FLEK--I think her height is the key to getting people to remember her. I'm 5'9", and most people describe me as "tall" when talking to others about me, so I'm guessing her 5'10" frame would be memorable.

(I married a man who is 5'6", so my "tallness" is even more of a memorable trait of mine!:floorlaugh:)

I have a Master's in Library Science & was an undergrad English major. Writing is a completely different animal than reading. That's why they are taught separately. Reading comprehension can be taught before Kindergarten, writing the English language is something taught later. I taught underprivileged students in a border town school district in Texas. I had elementary through high school.

It's like learning any foreign language--reading is easier than forming proper grammatical sentences in the same language. That's why Spanish speakers who sign up for Spanish get D's. It's the written portion that trips them up.
What bothers me is the size of the gradient between 93% and 58%. And that both of her "A"s came on the same day. And that the next week she was back to "F"s.

Please, could someone with an Ancestry.com membership check out these two year book photos and tell me I'm crazy?

There is an L. K. (not kennedy) that bears strong resemblance to our LEK. The only thing is that she looks different because she has no bangs, hair is long and parted in the middle. Also, in the second one she isn't smiling at all. The eyes, nose, mouth. She looks as though she would be tall as well. It looks so much like her, even though she's not smiling, imo.

Just search under High school year books, San Jose, CA, Independence High School.

Year 1977, Junior year, the photo is on page 111, 5th row down, first photo.

Year 1978, Senior year, the photo is on page 47, 2nd row down, 2nd photo.

Please, could someone with an Ancestry.com membership check out these two year book photos and tell me I'm crazy?

There is an L. K. (not kennedy) that bears strong resemblance to our LEK. The only thing is that she looks different because she has no bangs, hair is long and parted in the middle. Also, in the second one she isn't smiling at all. The eyes, nose, mouth. She looks as though she would be tall as well. It looks so much like her, even though she's not smiling, imo.

Unfortunately this young lady is accounted for. If you check her profile on other reunion websites, you'll find that she goes by her married name now.

Does anyone else here find it odd that there were previously two Lori's in the Ruff family before our LEK married into the family? An aunt and a cousin-in-law. Someone has already mentioned the possibility that she may have sought Blake out for some reason. I mean, she became the third female with that name in this family. Just seems a little eery to me.

Doesn't seem odd to me.

My uncle is named David, I have a cousin named David (same side of the family), and my STBX is also David.

Especially considering she looks just like Blake.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
saglimtas20