TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #1

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have read through a lot of this thread tonight and must say that I am kind of bug eyed so take my 1 comment with a grain of salt. This lady went through a lot of trouble to hide her identity. I do not see her as being a person who would give up, but instead would dig in her heels and double down. It just does not make sense to me that she would end her life. She obviously valued her life tremendously to go through the multiple steps of changing her identity, what happened to make her give up suddenly?

Same here, she might have been mentally unstable but she was determined to do what she needed to do. The only thing that I see that could make her give up suddenly is the threat of being exposed as a fraud in the divorce and whatever she was hiding was more horrible than just telling Blake.

I feel for LEK, but I think it's important to note that she is not a "hero" per se. She fabricated and stole identities and lied completely to her husband. He never knew her real name. It is an acutely selfish way to live your life--regardless of what her circumstances were before the ID change.

I've been thinking about this all night. It's a gem of truth to hold on to! FLEK committed a crime, regardless of her motives for doing so. The ends do not justify the means, especially for a seemingly religious person. And this is certainly no way to build a marriage!

There's been some speculation about her mental health, whether she had a problem before her name change or not,or even if a mental health problem may have led to the name change. I wouldn't be surprised, however, if the majority of her problems cropped up after the name change.

She seems to have done everything by the book. She changed her handwriting. She probably changed her favorite hobbies, foods, etc. as well. Living alone and denying your basic self on a daily basis, all the while not having any meaningful friendships or relationships must have taken their toll. There's a reason most criminals on the run eventually turn themselves in. I'm amazed she made it as long as she did. (22 years, at least!) From that standpoint alone, it's no wonder she shot herself. (My wife has also speculated that she may have committed suicide in such a dramatic was to overcompensate for faking her own death earlier in life.)

If she was indeed a serious Christian, she would have eventually run across the idea that, had she committed a serious crime, that she should turn herself in and throw herself on the mercy of the court. Most clergy, had she confided in them, would not have pressured her to do so, but would have at the least encouraged her to prayerfully consider it. This makes me wonder if she buried her old self so deep that it was bound to cause trouble in the end. Confession truly is good for the soul.

I can't help but wonder what her life would have looked like had she come clean. Where would she be today if she found a man/family she could confide in. Who knows? If that family were the Ruff's, they might have even taken up her cause with zeal!

It has been said that all neurosis is really an attempt to evade legitimate suffering. FLEK's life may easily prove the point.

At any rate, the more I roll all this over, the ST article, the evidence presented, countless posts on the internet; the more skeptical I become that any of the evidence is helpful in determining FLEK's true identity. I think it's going to come down to someone recognizing her. Hopefully that will bring some closure to all parties involved.

i agree with those of you talking about the mental strain of living the identity lie for twenty years.

1) something happened to cause her to change her identity so completely and securely as to make it nearly impossible to unravel (this wasn't simply a name change situation). that points to some type of past trauma.

2) in twenty years of living this second identity we have found no one who indicates she ever mentioned it in any way.

3) she's not here to defend herself, but accounts from others indicate she showed signs of mentally instability both before and after the divorce. we just don't know how long before because there are giant periods of time where we have no idea what she was doing.

4) whether her suicide was caused by the irrationality of mental illness or the more rational notion that she thought she would be "found out", she committed suicide leaving behind a child. that's not something to be taken lightly.

i guess i'm saying while suicide should never be an option we can draw a pretty linear series of dots in this lady's life that led to the suicide. whether you believe she suffered from mental illness or simply the strain of living a lie, we don't have to have fancy theories to see why it happened. my 2 cents.

also, can someone point me to the information about shredded documents and specifics about the custody battle? i don't remember reading that in the msm i've seen.

I've been thinking about this all night. It's a gem of truth to hold on to! FLEK committed a crime, regardless of her motives for doing so. The ends do not justify the means, especially for a seemingly religious person. And this is certainly no way to build a marriage!

She seems to have done everything by the book. She changed her handwriting. She probably changed her favorite hobbies, foods, etc. as well. Living alone and denying your basic self on a daily basis, all the while not having any meaningful friendships or relationships must have taken their toll. There's a reason most criminals on the run eventually turn themselves in. I'm amazed she made it as long as she did. (22 years, at least!) From that standpoint alone, it's no wonder she shot herself.

From a psychological and sociological point of view I'm curious about this as well. The FBI says that people who escape from jail or who are on the run often get caught because they eventually start contacting family and friends. After a while they need that contact for various reasons.

They also start engaging in their former hobbies such as sports, going to certain types of pubs, boating, etc. and this is how detectives start narrowing down their search.

I've been wondering if she ever contacted any family (if she had any) or searched for them?

I haven't followed this case as closely as some others but have recently been interested.

I wonder why she decided to get married and even have a child. I mean I know why she did it but I would think she had to know getting that close with someone would be a risk having a child would surely bring people closer to her.... I guess I am surprised she took those risks after going thru such lengths to hide her true identity.

can someone who has looked at the addresses tell me what apartment complex is at the address 3146 Hudnall St, Dallas Tx? I cant find one However a place called the "hub" apts is at 3136 Hudnall. Did she fake this addy? the Laciner addy is also not showing as a real apt complex, he used 3310 Hudnall apt 209-h, Dallas Tx, nothing even close. WTH? AM I looking at it wrong? Confused.

can someone who has looked at the addresses tell me what apartment complex is at the address 3146 Hudnall St, Dallas Tx? I cant find one However a place called the "hub" apts is at 3136 Hudnall. Did she fake this addy? the Laciner addy is also not showing as a real apt complex, he used 3310 Hudnall apt 209-h, Dallas Tx, nothing even close. WTH? AM I looking at it wrong? Confused.

From the Google maps, it looks like 3146 Hudnall is also part of the Hub, as it is sandwiched in between buildings that say The Hub.

also, can someone point me to the information about shredded documents and specifics about the custody battle? i don't remember reading that in the msm i've seen.

These are snippets from the Seattle Times article - shredded documents -

Wanting answers

After Lori’s funeral, Miles and a few other family members made the drive to Leonard. They had felt for years that she was hiding something. Miles said he was sent to “scrub that house down to see if we can find out who in the heck she was.”

By this point, he wasn’t taking any chances. As they pulled up at the house that afternoon, they called a sheriff’s deputy to meet them.

“I didn’t know if it was booby-trapped,” he explained.

The place was a wreck. The baby’s bed was soiled; there were piles of dishes and laundry and trash bags of shredded documents.

“She’d basically given up the will to live,” Miles said.

Everywhere, there was paper filled with Lori’s scrawls. When she ran out of space, she wrote over top of whatever she had just jotted down.

And the next snippet doesn't talk about a "custody battle" but when their marriage is ending -

Finally he had enough. In the summer of 2010, he moved out of Leonard and back in with his parents. Later, he filed for divorce.

Lori unraveled.

Denny, the neighbor, said the first time he saw her after that, she and her then-2-year-old looked very thin.

“She was frantic, about to the point of incoherence,” he said. “From that point on, I never saw her focus again.”

Denny suggested Lori come to counseling at the church where he serves as pastor. She brought in notebooks in which she rambled about “what was wrong with her and how she could get him back,” he said.

As Lori sat down to talk, Denny couldn’t help but notice her hands. They were the “longest hands I’d ever seen on a person,” he said, and they were always moving. She’d fidget with her hair or hold her hand out and gaze at it. Then she’d turn it over, gaze some more, and finally put it back in her lap.

“Her hands were important to her, for some reason,” he said.

Lori spoke in circles, covering the same ground over and over. She’d say, “This is what’s going on with Blake and me ... ” And the next sentence was, “This is what’s going on with Blake and me ... ” It would go on like that for an hour.

“When she had a particular thought, her mind was stuck on it,” Denny said. To him, it seemed like obsessive-compulsive disorder. Blake said he remembered her taking medication for ADHD or Tourette’s syndrome.

Blake came in for counseling sessions, too, and brought along his brother, David. It was strange, Denny said. David did most of the talking, as if he was translating for Blake.

In the end, the counseling could not repair the marriage.

“Honestly, I don’t think she was capable of getting the help she needed because she was so obsessed about whatever she was obsessed about,” Denny said.

http://seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html

PS> I don't think any articles talk specifically about a custody battle, some of us here were speculating that when the divorce proceedings started, she had to know that his lawyer was gonna start digging to see what he could find on Lori to help his client Blake and she would be exposed.:seeya:

One more thing out of the ST article...

Painful outcome

In the fall of 2010, Lori began sending threatening emails to the Ruffs. She caused a ruckus during one custody exchange, the family said. Afterward, they noticed one of their house keys was missing. Nancy recalls hearing the squeak of their backyard gate one morning just before Christmas.

The Ruffs were so concerned they asked a judge to order Lori to cease and desist.

Maybe the above is why the Ruff's became so nervous about LEK possibly harming them in some way...who know's what she wrote in the emails.
That and how she was so evasive about her past. Who knows? I just can't help but wonder especially because of them even thinking her house was booby-trapped (see above) That is crazy. She had to have said something that freaked them out. Just thinking out loud here.

"These were ramblings from a clearly disturbed person." The police reports says.

Per the LE working the suicide of FLEK whatever she stated in those letters(there were 2, one to her "wonderful husband", and a second letter "to be opened at 18yo" to her daughter) IMO must have been extremely strange for LE to state the above quote in their actual police report.

My question is this, why are we not able to have access to, at the very least, documents such as this above referenced police report?.. It seems to me there would be nothing that would block public access to this police report..it is not an open investigation, much different it is a closed case with the death having been officially ruled as a suicide.. Therefor IMO any/all police reports wrt this specific issue(her suicide) would be available for public access, right??... Or is there something I'm missing or incorrect about wrt any/all docs regarding FLEK's death being available?

TIA to anyone who can set me straight regarding this issue:)

My question is this, why are we not able to have access to, at the very least, documents such as this above referenced police report?.. It seems to me there would be nothing that would block public access to this police report..it is not an open investigation, much different it is a closed case with the death having been officially ruled as a suicide.. Therefor IMO any/all police reports wrt this specific issue(her suicide) would be available for public access, right??... Or is there something I'm missing or incorrect about wrt any/all docs regarding FLEK's death being available?

TIA to anyone who can set me straight regarding this issue:)

I can't "set [you] straight"... but I'm assuming:

FLEK's case is still an on-going Social Security investigation. It's not closed because they haven't found out who she is.

I don't know the specific laws regarding access to information, but there is a possibility that no one has asked to access the police report or see copies of the suicide letters.

However, I could understand if the Ruff family wouldn't want people to access the letter FLEK left to the daughter. It could be a form of respect in keeping it out of public viewing so that we don't get to read it before the daughter gets to.

One more thing out of the ST article...

Painful outcome

In the fall of 2010, Lori began sending threatening emails to the Ruffs. She caused a ruckus during one custody exchange, the family said. Afterward, they noticed one of their house keys was missing. Nancy recalls hearing the squeak of their backyard gate one morning just before Christmas.

The Ruffs were so concerned they asked a judge to order Lori to cease and desist.

Usually the term "custody exchange" is used in legal talk. This is why I'm thinking it was likely there may have been some sort of legal agreement.

Because in the past while still living with her husband, FLEK had not allowed B. Ruff to take their daughter over to see his family, so I doubt she willingly sent her daughter over to have visits with the father and his family as she would not be there. If she was supportive of visitations I doubt she would be threatening the family and stealing keys and trying to enter their property.

Finally he had enough. In the summer of 2010, he moved out of Leonard and back in with his parents. Later, he filed for divorce.

Lori unraveled.

Denny, the neighbor, said the first time he saw her after that, she and her then-2-year-old looked very thin.

“She was frantic, about to the point of incoherence,” he said. “From that point on, I never saw her focus again.”

What I don't get is that they talk about how she fell apart in 2010. And yet in May 2010 she joined the Texas Business Women of Bonham and was active with them until at least the end of June (the last photo I found of here was at their June 25 meeting). It could be that she fell apart after that, but an antisocial woman without friends doesn't seem the type of person who would go and join a club that is all about social connection and empowering women?

What I don't get is that they talk about how she fell apart in 2010. And yet in May 2010 she joined the Texas Business Women of Bonham and was active with them until at least the end of June (the last photo I found of here was at their June 25 meeting). It could be that she fell apart after that, but an antisocial woman without friends doesn't seem the type of person who would go and join a club that is all about social connection and empowering women?

We don't know when she joined the TBW organization. In fact, in June 2010 she was listed as an officer, so she might have been a member for a year or two before she was named an officer.

In this article from June 2010, she is listed as the Secretary for the group.
http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=39&num=62769

She was also at a meeting in August 2010: Attended meeting of Texas Business Woman of Bonham and Fannin Counties http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=40&num=63743&printer=1

I find it even more interesting that she attended a meeting in October 2010, just a little over two months before committing suicide. October 2010 – FLEK Attended Forum held by the Texas Business Woman (Lori pictured in next to last picture.) http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=41&num=65181

I wonder if the Seattle Times reporter or the SSA investigator tried to contact any of the members of this group to get their impression of FLEK's mental state during this time.

Even if they don't have a gun, all it took was for me to say, "I am filing for divorce," and my then husband freaked out and beat and come so close to strangling me to death. Honestly, I shouldn't be talking to ya'll, I should be one of the cases on this board but I survived. He died in a car wreck so I don't have to worry about him hurting me anymore, glad for that. Anyhow, don't want to derail the thread..

Sorry Smiles , been there too that "moment" of near death is something you never forget and I never looked at it from that angle!!!!! she was potentialy very dangerous! but I for some reason think it was all out of fear from whatever she was running from or maybe since mental illness runs in the family , she was running from a crazy (mental) family?

I would like to know who owned the gun that she used? If it wasn't registered to her, then to whom?

I also wish her other notebooks and notes would be made public. Something more to go on to decipher her notes for clues.

I think the suicide was simply because she was losing everything. She has no family (parents, siblings, aunts, uncles, cousins, etc). Nothing to fall back on for support. Her only family is her husband and child. Now she was losing them. At least losing the husband and probably losing the child for the majority of the time. With his family's money, he would get the majority of the visitation. He would be able to fight for it in court.

Just think. For whatever reason you have left everything behind. Worked so hard to be normal and live a normal life. Have a family. Now you are losing it all. Nothing to fall back on. No family support!

Both of my parents and my closest sibling have passed. I don't know what I would do if I lost my wife and kids. I would be devastated. I would be so lost. Would never contemplate suicide, but I can see how someone would.

I don't think the suicide had anything to do with who or what she was running from. I think the suicide had to do with what she was losing. again.

I can't find where Blake filed for divorce. I see the marriage application but no other records in Texas.. No actual marriage certificate. I wonder if they didn't get married in Texas only applied for the license but married in Vegas later...would he have to file there?

I find it even more interesting that she attended a meeting in October 2010, just a little over two months before committing suicide. October 2010 – FLEK Attended Forum held by the Texas Business Woman (Lori pictured in next to last picture.) http://www.ntxe-news.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi?archive=41&num=65181

Looking at the October photo is is even more hard to imagine that hte descriptions are accurate. She looks health and well dressed, not as they described her as thin and disheveled. Either she went downhill REALLY fast (possible) or the description of her mental status at the time of her death has been grossly exaggerated.

Just a couple of points to make.

1. I previously theorized that she may have killed herself because the Ruff's already knew she was a fake and that they didn't actually find out after she died; but before. In this case, depending on what it was she was hiding in her former life, she may have figured the gig was up and that she would never get custody if she had to explain who she really was. And, maybe what she was hiding was so bad that she didn't want to be exposed only for her daughter to be told later what the horrible secret was, or didn't want to be exposed due to the fact that her secret may expose her daughter to danger (For instance if this is a Lebaron-type case). In line with this theory, the following was quoted above: Miles said he was sent to “scrub that house down to see if we can find out who in the heck she was.” Doesn't this indicate that they knew BEFORE they went to the house and found all her stuff that she wasn't who she said she was? Something with the story being told in the media just isn't meshing. Did they find out something before she died? Did they find out something only upon her death? If you look at this quote, they certainly knew SOMETHING before they went to that house.

2. Bsublime

As has been stated, we don't know exactly when she joined that group. If I had to guess, she may have been suffering from a little post-partem depression and Blake or someone encouraged her to get out of the house and get involved in things for her own mental health. I've know many women home with the kids after their births that just need to find time to get out of the house for awhile, particularly if they are a bit depressed. As for going nuts, read about post-partem psychosis a bit; it will freak you out.

3. NCSlueth may be right on point as well. We just don't have enough information to back up any of these theories because of the limited information we've been given. I do believe that we don't have all the facts surrounding the marriage situation and when the Ruffs knew what. I'm sure that some of these questions about her motivations may be answered in her last two letters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AustinK98