TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #2

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
This is some nice investigative work, and very well-written. That being said, there is zero evidence that this hypothetical daughter even existed, let alone was really FLEK. I don't see how posting all of these folks' personal information is really justified here, unless I'm missing something.

Edit: Regarding William-90's posts above.

I conceded it was a bit of a long shot, and, yes, I couldn't find any concrete evidence (i.e. a record) that a daughter even existed or that this hypothetical daughter could be Jane Doe/FLEK. That being said, we seem to be as stumped about this case as everyone else, including the social services, seems to be, so, given the similarity of the first and last names and the closeness to Woodbine Cemetery of Eric and Lorene's three bedroom family home (the size of the property suggesting more than two occupants), I thought it would be avenue worth treading down.

As for disseminating their personal information, it's a bit of a grey area, to be sure. I tried to weigh this against the possibility that the King family might still be wondering where their missing child is - if they do have a missing child to wonder about - and that this information may aid social services in bringing some closure for the Ruff family. I haven't posted anything that isn't already publicly available on genealogical websites or anything that can't be found freely after a quick Google search. I deliberately omitted anything about their present whereabouts or condition.

Even so, I'm not entirely sure about the etiquette of these things. If I'd done something completely out-of-order, I was hoping that somebody else would take me up on it. But I haven't received any issue thus far, so perhaps it's all fine. I do wonder if I'm "missing something" myself.

If I'm proved wrong, if this family aren't related to FLEK/Jane Doe in any way, then I'm very happy for the mods to remove any offending post or passage.

Hi,

I'm new too, also from the UK. I keep getting stuck on the fact that no one appears to have reported LEK missing. What's the care system like in the US? If Mr and Mrs King didn't have children, would there be a record of them if they were foster carers?

Hi,

I'm new too, also from the UK. I keep getting stuck on the fact that no one appears to have reported LEK missing. What's the care system like in the US? If Mr and Mrs King didn't have children, would there be a record of them if they were foster carers?

Probably her family assumed (correctly, it would seem) that she wanted to be gone.

I think this is an excellent theory, William. I'm new here, as well -- I started reading the threads on this case after someone mentioned it in the Reddit discussion forums on the "Serial" podcast. For about a week, then, I've been poring over the discussion on FLEK.

The 2013 post (by neesaki) on the King family in Washington state to which you referred caught my eye because I have Kings in my family line (of German origin); in fact, it occurred to me that the King family might be a good lead because there might be a connection to the Pennsylvania library in FLEK's notes. The Kings have a long history in Pennsylvania; I wondered whether she might have been following a lead in her genealogical research, if she was, in fact, researching her own family, as well as her husband's, as some have guessed.

This theory would also account for FLEK's northwestern and midwestern (Lorene born in Kansas) connections.

The possible relationship to Eric A. and Lorene fits well with much of what we know of FLEK, doesn't it? Perhaps an Irish heritage accounts for her fondness for the ritual of tea time -- and her desire to share that special tradition with her daughter (it was reported that she asked her daughter to remember tea time in the letter she left for her). Several have also conjectured she was, in some way, shape, or form raised outside of mainstream American culture, whether it be in a fundamentalist religious sect or as the child of immigrants.

As others have mentioned, suicide does run in families. I noticed, sadly, that Eric A. died December 19, 1988 -- in other words, FLEK's December 24, 2010, suicide was just days after the anniversary of his death. By summer 1988, though, Jane Doe was already in Texas changing her name from BST to LEK. I wondered whether she would still have been in contact with the family by that time.

Were you able to discover a connection between Eric A. and the Robert A. King to which neesaki referred? Robert A. King was the "prominent" Tacoma stockbroker who committed suicide on November 19, 1987: http://news.google.com/newspapers?i...AAIBAJ&dq=stockbroker suicide&pg=4290,4965345
branwynbreeze posted that Ancestry showed that Robert A. had no children, but had a brother, Donald (Broughton) King and that later twin half-brothers were born. Perhaps Eric A. was a half-brother to Robert?

US Public Records in Ancestry show several Kings in Puyallup born in the early 1960s -- so I think it's definitely a strong possibility that Eric and Lorene had children either through birth or adoption. Thinking along these lines has me wondering, too, about the possibility of whether FLEK may have been adopted -- or whether she gave a child up for adoption before she adopted the LEK ID. That might explain a move (if it happened) from Washington to Idaho [to have a baby secretly and give it up for adoption], FLEK's overprotection of her child with Blake, the notes -- could she have been searching for her birth parents or for a child put up for adoption years earlier?, as well as her complete psychological devastation at having her daughter taken from her by her ex- and in-laws).

Thanks for sharing your theory here. I do hope you'll keep us informed if you hear anything from the SSA special agent!

OTE=William-90;11252329]Hello! My name is William, from London. Since yesterday, when I first became aware of this case, I've caught the sleuthing bug and, after a few hours, I believe I may have found Jane Doe's family. It's certainly a bit of a long shot.

My theory is that Jane Doe is the daughter of Eric Alexander King and Lorene May Wadleigh. Intuitively, I thought that there was something off-colour about the name 'Lori Erica Kennedy', as if some sort of answer lay there, hidden in plain sight. My first thought was that it signified something from her past, perhaps a play on words. I also did not believe that Jane knowing about Becky Sue Turner was the result of travelling across states and hours spent mining public records; I imagined something more mundane: she knew about Turner because she lived in the same area as the cemetery. Finding a post on here, from 2013 (by neesaki), where an Eric A. King is mentioned, only encouraged this idea. His tragic death was also interesting, fitting with the possible tragic background of our Jane Doe. So, after performing searches on ancestry.co.uk, I found these two individuals ("Eric A. K..." and "Lorene"). Here are the facts as I know them:

1) Eric Alexander King was allegedly a stockbroker from Rathdown, near Dublin, Ireland. He was born on 25 September 1936, had an older brother named Malcolm, and married Lorene May Wadleigh (daughter of Donald Jacques Wadleigh and Mildred Lorene Canfield) on 1st July 1961 in Seattle, Washington. His death, which occured in Sumner, was purportedly a suicide. I would like to read his obituary because it may hold some clues, or direct statements, about his life, his family, any children he may or may not have had, and the reason for his suicide. But Tacoma Public Library does not let anyone access these obituaries anymore. It directs me to the WA State Library, whose Borrowing & Lending Office I've emailed. Hopefully, I'll receive a reply (and maybe a copy) soon.

2) Eric was naturalized as an American on 1st May 1985. At the time of his naturalization, he, and presumably his wife, lived at 1530 Vista Drive Southeast, Puyallup (near Tacoma), which Google informs me is 2.9-3 miles away from Woodbine Cemetery, Puyallup, where Becky Sue Turner is buried. Lorene continued to live in the area of Tacoma until the early 90s. She later remarried after Eric's death.

3) Lorene was born 26 October 1937 in Kansas. She lived in Seattle and Auburn (not simultaneously) in the 90s. The name "Lori" can be used as a diminutive form of Lorene. The witnesses to Lorene and Eric's marriage were Malcolm J. King and Judith Richardson.

At this point, I do not know if they had any children. Ancestry.com (and .co.uk) has not made California Births for the 1960s publicly available. I would have to order a birth certificate from the Washington State Department of Health, but I don't know if the protocol for ordering certificates is different in the US to how it is in the UK. I believe it's worth a look, given the similarity of the names, the timing of the marriage in 1961 (if they had children soon or sometime afterwards, it would suit Jane Doe's approximate age) and the close proximity that Eric and presumably Lorene's residence had to Woodbine Cemetery.

Sources (requires ancestry.co.uk or .com registration to view original record images, except for FamilySearch results):

Eric A King in the Ireland, Civil Registration Births Index, 1864-1958

Malcolm J King, Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes (FamilySearch)

Eric A King in the Washington Death Index, 1940-1996

Eric A King in the Web: Tacoma, Washington, Obituary Index, 1939-2010

Lorene M Wadleigh [and Eric A. King] in the Washington, Marriage Records, 1865-2004

Lorene Wadleigh in the 1940 United States Federal Census

Eric Alexander King in the Washington, Naturalization Records, 1904-1991[/QUOTE]

Oh, so Robert A. King was the stockbroker who committed suicide, not Eric A. King? I must have misread neesaki's post, then. It wasn't entirely clear. Apologies to everyone for that mistake.

Eric's death was obviously an early one, anyway. It still could have been a suicide. I'll wait until I've received the obituary before I make any more dim-witted misreadings or ill-thought-out ideas.

Oh Jesus I just remembered! On the notes page! LACINER! his wife and her family are from Kansas!!!! One or two of them work in Mammoth Caves.. :)

Can you share a bit more about what these two high functioning mentally ill people did...? Just curious.
In one of the cases, the patient changed her location and name 4 times to avoid state mental facilities. She would begin in low level positions, say as a hotel clerk and then get promoted. Very high-functioning. Fascinating and phenomenal human being. She is now a regional manager for a chain of restaurants and is med compliant and I believe she goes by her birth name.

The other patient was paranoid and roamed the Midwest as a farmhand.

Welcome William! :happydance:

Welcome Lucy_Girl! :happydance:

I've seen people discredit the Ruff's lock box saying the contents could be nothing or some of the articles/notes in it could be a red herring. Why is this?

People generally keep very important documents in a lock box. While we might not see the importance, but Ruff definitely did.

I've also seen plenty of people take Ruff's notes white note paper as individual notes and statements, but I'm not sure why. When you take notes, it's usually across many pages of paper. Perhaps on something like a legal pad. I find it odd that Ruff wrote all of this on one sheet of paper. It's almost as if she wanted everything to fit on one page. I feel strongly that most, if not all, of the notes are interconnect somehow.

If "Lori Ruff" is the Lori King from that letter, the possible military background would make this even more intriguing. Maybe she went AWOL and tried to hide out? Hmmm...

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?215632-402-months-40-40-2&p=9797732#post9797732

In the 402 thread there are discussions about a half brother, Norman who had a Idaho licence.
Pls read entire thread.

I read the 402 thread ... I see that Nedley G. Norman Jr.'s accomplice had a fake Idaho ID (unfortunately the linked article from which that information derives is no longer available), that Robert A. King had a half-brother, and that the same person submitted "findagrave" entries for Nedley Grant Norman, Sr.'s grave in Bremerton, Washington, and for Robert A. King's in Lakewood, Washington. Someone had e-mailed the submitter to inquire about a possible relationship (another poster mentioned it may be coincidental, as entire cemeteries -- or even multiple cemeteries -- are often compiled by volunteers). Am I missing something (completely possible -- I've several entire threads, as well as the first 45 pages (!) of the original thread -- but there's so much here -- all of it fascinating, but a bit overwhelming!)? Did the woman working on findagrave write back stating (or was other evidence found for) a relationship between Norman and King?

Here's a Debra Kay King missing from Tacoma, Washington:

https://www.findthemissing.org/en/cases/14622

http://www.missingin.org/reg7416/debra_kay_king.htm

Missing since 1984; born around 1959 (fits with the "older than she claimed to be" theory); scar on abdomen may have been overlooked by an not-very-observant husband; tattoo on hand, possibly faded or removed (if removed, perhaps accounts for her interest in her hands noted by her pastor); height seems very much out of whack -- but maybe this was a guestimate on someone's part; what some call "hazel" others might see as "blue"; blonde hair might fade with age (the hair in the picture doesn't look blonde to me).

All of this is new to me -- why would the circumstances of her disappearance be unknown and they have so little info about the case? Why would so old a case be so recently added to NamUs (added in 2012 after she's been missing since 1984 -- dna testing still in progress)?

Apologies if this has been posted somewhere already; I don't see it on the list of MPs considered or under consideration.

Thanks for highlighting that discrepancy; I amended my post above to address that.

Oh Jesus I just remembered! On the notes page! LACINER! his wife and her family are from Kansas!!!! One or two of them work in Mammoth Caves.. :)

I think you mean Kentucky, not Kansas. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay