TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #3

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
My assumption was that they suspected she intended to kill the Ruffs and then herself. I could be wrong, but that's how these things usually happen (plus she did seem to be prepared to kill herself, if we assume the notes were already written).

The Longview PD said "when she discovered they weren't home, she committed suicide." If true, she would have had to have written the 11 page letter to Blake and her daughter after arriving, while idling in the driveway, because you don't write suicide notes if you are only planning to commit murder and not suicide.

It really seems like no one thought this through very hard early on.

Attachments

• quote..JPG
    quote..JPG
    22.1 KB · Views: 76
Her writing a letter to Blake would imply she did NOT intend to kill them. Otherwise he would never see it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Another thing I noticed is that Blake was reported to be evasive, but this was chalked to be "just how he is". But Lori's evasiveness (although, yes we know she had changed her name, etc) was a HUGE issue to the Ruffs vs "just how she is." Why? Was there some other reason that made them so sure she was faking her identity besides not wanting to discuss her past? If I knew someone who didn't want to discuss their past, I would just assume "bad past" not "identity thief/KGB mole". I wonder if she slipped up one day a tiny bit and this made them suspicious? If so, what was the slipup?

The Longview PD said "when she discovered they weren't home, she committed suicide." If true, she would have had to have written the 11 page letter to Blake and her daughter after arriving, while idling in the driveway, because you don't write suicide notes if you are only planning to commit murder and not suicide.

It really seems like no one thought this through very hard early on.

Agree. Seems like some major details are missing.

Another thing I noticed is that Blake was reported to be evasive, but this was chalked to be "just how he is". But Lori's evasiveness (although, yes we know she had changed her name, etc) was a HUGE issue to the Ruffs vs "just how she is." Why? Was there some other reason that made them so sure she was faking her identity besides not wanting to discuss her past? If I knew someone who didn't want to discuss their past, I would just assume "bad past" not "identity thief/KGB mole". I wonder if she slipped up one day a tiny bit and this made them suspicious? If so, what was the slipup?
It seems like there is some heavy bias against LEK from the family, and no one else has said anything about her. I wonder if there were really no other people who had anything to say about her or if the Ruff family has just asked everyone to not speak. I wonder about classmates, instructors, co-workers Lori had before the Ruffs came into the picture. I need to re-read the Seattle times interview, did Velling look into these groups of people?
When I was in school I studied with regular friends, spent time in regular coffee shops, Professors and TA's knew me. If someone had come around asking about me, these people could provide insights. Obviously I am not living under a false identity but it would be hard to function in any sort of community without giving information about yourself.
The little bits we know- she liked Cuban food, had breast implants, desperately wanted a child, she must've had a bit of an outgoing side to successfully work as a stripper & go parachuting. It takes a spine to to move yourself all over the Western side of the US, presumably alone or with very little contact.
I think the strain of keeping up the covered identity was taking an incredible toll on her. Whatever plan she had to run, she didn't have long term support. She was doing it alone. She had some good indicators of personal success, completing college, marriage, involvement in women's & church groups. These were important to her, but she didn't have the stability to maintain them.
From what we know of her there wasn't much stability in her life.

Just started following this and am getting caught up on reading. Really interesting! She had to have money coming in from somewhere to allow her to travel, change her name , and enroll in college. I saw the posts about her potentially being DS and about DS getting immunity for testifying--is there any way LE could have helped with her change in identity? I have not read back far enough to know if there was a reason for her moving away from BST identity so quickly--so maybe they did that so it would be harder to trace her? Also ironic that she took her own life on Dec 24 and BST was killed on Dec 29. :(.

As I wrote in the message you quoted, I think they assumed that she was going to kill her in-laws and then herself.

Her writing a letter to Blake would imply she did NOT intend to kill them. Otherwise he would never see it.

The police did not write that they thought she was going to kill Blake, they thought she was going to kill "her in-laws." Which to me implies Blake's parents only.

Re-read it. So frustrating. It says he saw the letter to the daughter. No mention of the one to Blake. I'm beginning to doubt that we will ever know the end to this.

I think that if it had anything of potential use to Agent Velling, they would have provided it to him (they did give him the other letter).

Just started following this and am getting caught up on reading. Really interesting! She had to have money coming in from somewhere to allow her to travel, change her name , and enroll in college. I saw the posts about her potentially being DS and about DS getting immunity for testifying--is there any way LE could have helped with her change in identity? I have not read back far enough to know if there was a reason for her moving away from BST identity so quickly--so maybe they did that so it would be harder to trace her? Also ironic that she took her own life on Dec 24 and BST was killed on Dec 29. :(.

Welcome to the discussion! Just FYI, she was dancing in strip clubs to make money. That's how she financed her travel, etc.

Welcome to the discussion! Just FYI, she was dancing in strip clubs to make money. That's how she financed her travel, etc.[/QUOT

There is so much information that I have read through on here (and a lot of it quite a while ago), so I very well could have missed it, but was the only proof that she was a stripper, just what an ex-boyfriend told Agent Velling and it is assumed this was to be true because of her having social security taken from her earnings as a stripper or was there other information?

Not saying she wasn't, but IMO this is the last woman I would pick as a former stripper.

I wouldn't put much stock in the wiki page. Anyone can edit it to say anything. Likely, it was someone reading along here or elsewhere that edited it (without a reliable source to cite the edit) .

FLEK's wiki has now been re-edited to remove reference to the rumors of her identity being discovered.
Anyone know how to contact Derek Abbott? Would be nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

FLEK's wiki has now been re-edited to remove reference to the rumors of her identity being discovered.
Anyone know how to contact Derek Abbott? Would be nice to hear it from the horse's mouth.

I believe he has already been contacted. I'll see if I can find the post.

Welcome to the discussion! Just FYI, she was dancing in strip clubs to make money. That's how she financed her travel, etc.[/QUOT

There is so much information that I have read through on here (and a lot of it quite a while ago), so I very well could have missed it, but was the only proof that she was a stripper, just what an ex-boyfriend told Agent Velling and it is assumed this was to be true because of her having social security taken from her earnings as a stripper or was there other information?

Not saying she wasn't, but IMO this is the last woman I would pick as a former stripper.

All the pictures of her are pretty minimal in makeup and hairstyles. But that doesn't mean she didn't know how to change her look with makeup. Going back to the "Jung" (?) makeup artist on the notes page- professional heavy makeup can alter appearances dramatically. That she was so low-key in her appearance most of the time doesn't mean anything. A couple good friends of mine use a lot of makeup professionally. One is a makeup artist & one is a news anchor. For work they have dressers full of makeup & know every trick in the book. The rest of the time- ponytail & mascara. Also, I don't know how to sound this without sounding judge mental, but strippers don't have to be supermodels to be successful. I think a charming personality goes a long way. This is why I have such a hard time with the idea that NO ONE has anything good to say about her personality. A shy, introverted, socially awkward woman is not going anywhere in the entertainment industry. I feel like there must've been a significant change in her personality towards the end.

I believe he has already been contacted. I'll see if I can find the post.
Thanks.
FLEK's NAMUS page is still up. It says it was last modified on Jan 22 of this year. Anyone know how to figure out what was changed?

I think a charming personality goes a long way. This is why I have such a hard time with the idea that NO ONE has anything good to say about her personality. A shy, introverted, socially awkward woman is not going anywhere in the entertainment industry. I feel like there must've been a significant change in her personality towards the end.

This is why I have such a hard time believing she was a dancer, her personality more than her looks.

it was just one former boyfriend who said that he had heard she may have been a dancer, right? No confirmation from any other source?

This is why I have such a hard time believing she was a dancer, her personality more than her looks.

it was just one former boyfriend who said that he had heard she may have been a dancer, right? No confirmation from any other source?

Correct. And given to us second hand by Velling I believe.

Still, as with SS1988 I'm inclined to believe.

Correct. And given to us second hand by Velling I believe.

Still, as with SS1988 I'm inclined to believe.

I could go either way, it is a profession for which you do not always file taxes or even prove identity, especially true when she would have been doing it.

I could go either way, it is a profession for which you do not always file taxes or even prove identity, especially true when she would have been doing it.

I don't have anything other than Velling/ss88 to go on, but it just makes sense to me. In the early 90's there just weren't opportunities for a woman to earn enough money to live on without some sort of education or skill. Not even today really. I can't come up with another explanation for her to quickly obtain enough money to accomplish all this getting around & live on while in school.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Iris June