TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've mentioned before of a friend I had who used a fake name to work when she ran away from home at a young age. She had told me about going to the library and looking up someone who died about the same age and taking on their identity. She had worked as a waitress for many years.... But.. Then also turned to stripping when times got tuff for her in her 20's. By the way, they make minimum wage and earn tips. They make good money enough to support themselves including rent and all living expenses. She has reconciled with her family and I no longer speak to her, but later in life after turned to Jesus as well. I suppose you see so much of the dark side with that kind of life. It truly is sad. Anyway the similarities between what my former friend did and FLEK are earily similar...but I know she is not FLEK. I suspect my friend had other friends who were well versed at hiding their true identities that it was easy for FLEK given some support from others who had gone before her with the same circumstances.

My friend had married and said she just settled its the guy she married to be with someone. She had also struggled in the marriage and at one point was ready to leave the marriage. She had also talked about going back to stripping for the easy money. Luckily we talked her out of that.

Because of of the similarities this just screams run away to me. JMHO

sorry for for the long post.

I was was also in Vegas in '89 and we wanted to get a slot machine for our house to play and have fun. At that time, not sure if it still applies today but you could not buy one unless it was older than 25 years old and we wanted a newer one or be a resident of Nevada or something like that. We were told that we could open a PO Box at the local Mailboxes etc store to do that. We did go to the local store and IIRC they didn't ask for any kind of ID in order to to so. Times certainly have changed.

Just stating someone life experiences which I think maybe somewhat helpful.

My guess is that FLEK had multiple email accounts.

She had three that I am positive about, & if my memory can be relied on one or two more. They are:

TexasRecruiter@consultant.com
csengineer2002@yahoo.com
studyrecruiter@verizon.net

The first & third were used for her online business. I think she had one more she used for her business.

An idle thought: I wonder if Yahoo had archived any of her emails. They may purge inactive accounts after a few years -- not to save space, but to avoid legal issues -- & even if they kept her emails, it may be more trouble than it's worth to access them.

She had three that I am positive about, & if my memory can be relied on one or two more. They are:

TexasRecruiter@consultant.com
csengineer2002@yahoo.com
studyrecruiter@verizon.net

The first & third were used for her online business. I think she had one more she used for her business.

An idle thought: I wonder if Yahoo had archived any of her emails. They may purge inactive accounts after a few years -- not to save space, but to avoid legal issues -- & even if they kept her emails, it may be more trouble than it's worth to access them.

Plus assignments@aneyefordetailconsulting.com

*snipped by me

Welcome, from a fellow genealogist!

If the Lori Kennedy you are talking about is from Dale Jr High in Anaheim, I know which one you mean. The group photo is alphabetical so there is no matching of names to faces. There is a tall girl in a white long sleeve shirt that resembles FLEK. Her name doesn't come up as having a portrait in that yearbook when you search Ancestry but that is because of the formatting of names in the year book--they are first name above last. If you scroll to page 71 in that same yearbook you will see a portrait picture of the Lori Kennedy from that school. IMO she does not resemble FLEK, nor does she look like the tall girl in the group photo.

Thanks for the welcome. :) And thanks for your post in reply - and I'm really wondering at the hints coming up for this person on ancestry. Utterly strange, and it's hard to imagine the algorithm being so screwed up because of case sleuthers...though not impossible, and I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

About the photo...it's complicated. Yes, the Dale Junior High group photo with the LK name listed was where I thought I spotted FLEK. And the school is in the community that comes up frequently concerning the family I'm wondering about (which might be her real family). But after you mentioned the individual photos listed in the back, I also rejected the headshot photo labeled LK as being her...just didn't look similar to me at all. (Though to me that headshot also appeared to match the tall gal in the back row with a white shirt in the group shot, who I'd passed over.) FLEK, in her first driver's license photo, has a different face and hairline, and also looks to have been of a much finer-boned build (even if a tall person who eventually reached about 160 lbs. in mid-life).

To clarify, the gal in that group shot who interested me (call her my FLEK POI) was not the gal in the back row, but another dark-haired gal, though I'm trying to figure out who she might be by plodding through the listed names. (And real life interrupted me this weekend. :eek:) The complication is, there are 53 kids listed as being in that club, but only 36 kids are pictured. I have no idea yet which of those female names might go with the gal I think looks like her. (And since this is so preliminary and subjective right now, I'm choosing not to share her photo with anyone publicly or privately. She could turn out to be completely unrelated to this mystery, and would likely be mortified to find herself being discussed on the www.)

So, a few thoughts:

- Even if I locate my group-shot FLEK POI in one of those 7-9th grade individual headshots, she isn't going to be listed as LK, so I'm no longer able to assume FLEK used the alias LK while growing up in CA.

- It's possible, too, that if FLEK were an attendee at this school, she was not photographed for any picture - group or individual. There are a few "no photo available" entries.

- It's possible based on dates and location that FLEK might have known this Anaheim student LK, and then borrowed that name (for whatever reason) later on when creating her alias.

Anyone come up with any new Howder info or a new FOIA request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I need some clarification..... Which documents do we know were in that lockbox and what items were substantiated, or provided, by the investigators?

Did FLEK have a copy of the death certificate?
Did FLEK have a copy of the newspaper chronicling the fire?

I also am VERY curious as to what else was in that box that we don't know about..... even if it seems inconsequential to others.

Is there any way to verify that she actually did acquire her GED or could she have forged that?

FLEK's resume appears to show that she had some degree of graphics and desktop publishing experience..... a perfect skill for someone trying to fabricate a past, present and future.

I agree that a list of everything that was in that lockbox would be useful. I occasionally wonder which pages from which AZ phonebook were in that lockbox, & if they might provide further information. Or, having examined them, we can discard them as irrelevant. And I wonder if there were other seemingly inconsequential items in there; odd to have a lock box for just a few sheets of paper. I suspect that the death certificate & newspaper clipping were not, because the story in the Seattle Times mentions that the Ruffs used a private investigator to find out who Becky S. Turner was, & he reported that BST had died in a house fire decades ago.

About the GED: I honestly doubt she would go as far as forging it. If she had a high school education or better -- or almost completed one -- passing a GED is fairly simple. One time when I applied for unemployment I had to take similar tests so the PTB could determine if I needed some educational help, & the questions were fairly simple. Embarrassingly simple.

As for her graphics/desktop publishing skills... Those I'm not so impressed with, based on her resume & screenshots of her website. (Anyone who hasn't seen them can find them at http://www.screenshots.com/aneyefordetailconsulting.com/ )

Thanks for the welcome. :) And thanks for your post in reply - and I'm really wondering at the hints coming up for this person on ancestry. Utterly strange, and it's hard to imagine the algorithm being so screwed up because of case sleuthers...though not impossible, and I'm going to have to keep that in mind.

About the photo...it's complicated. Yes, the Dale Junior High group photo with the LK name listed was where I thought I spotted FLEK. And the school is in the community that comes up frequently concerning the family I'm wondering about (which might be her real family). But after you mentioned the individual photos listed in the back, I also rejected the headshot photo labeled LK as being her...just didn't look similar to me at all. (Though to me that headshot also appeared to match the tall gal in the back row with a white shirt in the group shot, who I'd passed over.) FLEK, in her first driver's license photo, has a different face and hairline, and also looks to have been of a much finer-boned build (even if a tall person who eventually reached about 160 lbs. in mid-life).

To clarify, the gal in that group shot who interested me (call her my FLEK POI) was not the gal in the back row, but another dark-haired gal, though I'm trying to figure out who she might be by plodding through the listed names. (And real life interrupted me this weekend. :eek:) The complication is, there are 53 kids listed as being in that club, but only 36 kids are pictured. I have no idea yet which of those female names might go with the gal I think looks like her. (And since this is so preliminary and subjective right now, I'm choosing not to share her photo with anyone publicly or privately. She could turn out to be completely unrelated to this mystery, and would likely be mortified to find herself being discussed on the www.)

So, a few thoughts:

- Even if I locate my group-shot FLEK POI in one of those 7-9th grade individual headshots, she isn't going to be listed as LK, so I'm no longer able to assume FLEK used the alias LK while growing up in CA.

- It's possible, too, that if FLEK were an attendee at this school, she was not photographed for any picture - group or individual. There are a few "no photo available" entries.

- It's possible based on dates and location that FLEK might have known this Anaheim student LK, and then borrowed that name (for whatever reason) later on when creating her alias.

Anyone else reminded of the movie "Body Heat?" If LEK stole a classmate's name, it wouldn't be the first time...

I need some clarification..... Which documents do we know were in that lockbox and what items were substantiated, or provided, by the investigators?

Did FLEK have a copy of the death certificate?
Did FLEK have a copy of the newspaper chronicling the fire?

I also am VERY curious as to what else was in that box that we don't know about..... even if it seems inconsequential to others.

Is there any way to verify that she actually did acquire her GED or could she have forged that?

FLEK's resume appears to show that she had some degree of graphics and desktop publishing experience..... a perfect skill for someone trying to fabricate a past, present and future.

According to the Q&A/chat with Velling that was done with the Seattle Times, a receipt for the $11 paid for the copy of the birth certificate was in FLEK's lockbox. I don't hear that mentioned ever, and I so wish we could see a picture of that. On another site, someone pointed out that the numbers at the top of the the birth cert indicate that it was a local copy (only 2 should be in existence), rather than one issued by the state-- It seemed like a legitimate assessment to me, but I don't know for sure of course. But it does make me wonder if the receipt is fake. I mean, she had the certificate, so why keep the receipt? It seems like an overcompensation for a lie to me.

I wondered about the GED being fake too. It was typed old-school, as desktop publishing/printing wasn't common then. It used to be easy to alter typed docs by whiting out the unwanted info, typing whatever you want in its place, and then making copies of copies until the whited out portion wasn't too obvious. But there were always telltale signs if you knew where to look. The last name does have some shadowing like it might have been highlighted-- but it doesn't look to me like white out was involved. And the last digit of her birth year as well as "11" in the last grade completed field don't line up, so maybe were added later. But I don't think this was faked because it all looks like it was done with the same typewriter. Also, FLEK seemed to like to make herself look good on paper-- would she have resisted the temptation to change the scores? Those scores, are very typical for a woman with a public school education around her age in the US. (I test people for my job).

According to the Q&A/chat with Velling that was done with the Seattle Times, a receipt for the $11 paid for the copy of the birth certificate was in FLEK's lockbox. I don't hear that mentioned ever, and I so wish we could see a picture of that. On another site, someone pointed out that the numbers at the top of the the birth cert indicate that it was a local copy (only 2 should be in existence), rather than one issued by the state-- It seemed like a legitimate assessment to me, but I don't know for sure of course. But it does make me wonder if the receipt is fake. I mean, she had the certificate, so why keep the receipt? It seems like an overcompensation for a lie to me.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...-Only-*NO-DISCUSSION*&p=12443695#post12443695

Anyone come up with any new Howder info or a new FOIA request?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have found a female relative of the extended Howder family (I don't think she's a Howder by blood but very connected via marriage/community at least. Her physical resemblance to FLEK is remarkable and IMO the closest likeness I have seen to her barring the similarities between TT and FLEK. She also looks very similar to TT's surviving adult daughter. It's hard for me to post more here without going into names of people and breaking the rules on here but if anyone is able to help me with some genealogical research on her I'd appreciate it. I have got as far as I can without ancestry access at this point.

I believe she may be a sister of FLEK. The woman in question's mother is from ID but lived in the Spokane area of WA for much of her life, she had other children and it appears maybe multiple marriages/relationships. She had one son who passed away in the early 80's in Montgomery Cty, TX and he was married to a Howder daughter I believe.

Re: the Anaheim Lori Kennedy...what is the proposed theory? That she changed her name from LK to BST and then back to LK, albeit with a presumably different social security number? Why would she choose the name of an identity she presumably was trying to get away from?

This is why the Terry Turner illegitimate daughter theory also bothers me...why would she change her name to something that makes her *easier* to identify? We know she didn't want to be identified...it's one of the few "knowns" in the case.

Re: the Anaheim Lori Kennedy...what is the proposed theory? That she changed her name from LK to BST and then back to LK, albeit with a presumably different social security number? Why would she choose the name of an identity she presumably was trying to get away from?

This is why the Terry Turner illegitimate daughter theory also bothers me...why would she change her name to something that makes her *easier* to identify? We know she didn't want to be identified...it's one of the few "knowns" in the case.

I can only offer an answer to the Anaheim one (just my opinion), as I am unfamiliar with the Terry Turner theory. The Anaheim LK does not look like FLEK, but may have been known by FLEK (in my calculations she was in the same area and class/grade level). I believe LK was born with a different given name, but changed her identity in the late 80s for protection.

After more sleuthing yesterday, I have a question (I think someone on here said she used to be FBI--Linda?)....

Would it be at all possible that a former FBI agent (Velling) could be investigating the identity change of a daughter of an FBI agent (or some other sort of asset in the intelligence community) without knowing that? In other words, would the identity change be so thorough that even another agent a couple decades later would not be privy to that knowledge?

The family and names I've been exploring have not only been heavily military (which would explain the multiple addresses), but the father appears to have a military record that predates FLEK's birth, and his picture as a 20-yr old in uniform in CO is the spitting image of her. And, among other things, he appears to have been posted briefly at Quantico back in the 50s. And, (if this is the correct family), his son, FLEK's younger brother, was also bright, athletic, in the military, and, like dad (like FLEK) had multiple addresses across the country at the same time - reportedly residing in CA, TX, and FL in simultaneous years. Dad had two different birth dates, depending, and by the time her brother was in his mid-twenties, he had also acquired 3 variations to his birth date, either off by a month or by a couple years (though the day remained constant).

I keep thinking about that big coincidence with the huge west coast undercover drug sting culminating in 23 indictments in 1988 involving 75+ tons of Thai marijuana...biggest maritime drug bust in history at the time, with many informants as well as defendants on the run. And FLEK's decision to change her identity that year, and then her vague "letter of recommendation" from Thailand that was typed that same year on Bangkok hotel stationary...(Really? I can count on one finger the number of people I've ever heard of with that particular door opener. Just her.)

If this has been discussed before, please forgive me and fill me in on what I might be missing. I haven't been been digging too long, but things are starting to look a certain way to me.

I found an interesting article on passport issuing policies for 1990. According to the article, all passports were mailed unless there was a rush request and the applicant could show proof of imminent travel. The issuing date on the passport and the departure date on the application form are within days. Did FLEK travel to Houston to pick up the passport directly and did she have proof of travel plans?

"First, all new or renewed passports will be mailed to the applicant, rather than held for pickup in person, unless there is acute time pressure. In areas where mail service is good, Washington, D.C., for example, a rush request would have to involve a departure within 10 working days, or the applicant would have to show that before leaving visas would have to be obtained for countries whose procedures are slow. In New York and Los Angeles, where mail is slow, an applicant might be able to pick up a passport even when the departure was further off. Proof, in the form of a copy of an itinerary from a travel agent or a copy of an airline ticket, will be required with a rush request.

Second, the passport application should go through whichever of the 13 regional passport offices is nearest to the applicant's residence. The regional offices are in New York, Houston, Washington, Boston, Chicago, Honolulu, Los Angeles, Miami, New Orleans, Philadelphia, San Francisco, Seattle and Stamford, Conn.

Marlene Schwartz, chief of the Passport Service's field coordination staff, said that the rules on mail delivery and use of the nearest office were being enforced because of logjams in New York, Washington and Houston."

http://www.nytimes.com/1989/12/31/tr...pagewanted=all

I have another thought about the passport. Given what was posted here recently about the change in employment law at that time regarding verification of citizenship, I don't think she wanted the passport for travel. I think it was for employment purposes. Because she didn't have a FLEK drivers license until later than 1990, she would have needed the passport for I-9 purposes. Although they have changed the I-9 form since then, you can google the form to see what is required for an employer to lay eyes on.

Since she didn't obtain that until 1990, it is entirely possible she used the BST birth certificate and Idaho ID (identity) til at least 1990 for employment purposes. And, I still wouldn't discount the idea of her using it beyond that time either.

In an effort to keep all the facts straight, the strongbox contained a page from an Arizona Phonebook. That doesn't mean she was in Arizona, but it doesn't mean she wasn't either.

http://old.seattletimes.com/html/localnews/2021243552_janedoexml.html

If we put the note page together with the Arizona phone book page, it looks as though she maybe ripped the page out of the phone book to possible confront the person who said they were from AZ on the note page. In other words to confront that person that they "made up" the address that is listed on the note page. If only we could see that page! That would give us an approximate last name of THAT individual that could lead us to her identity!

I have another thought about the passport. Given what was posted here recently about the change in employment law at that time regarding verification of citizenship, I don't think she wanted the passport for travel. I think it was for employment purposes. Because she didn't have a FLEK drivers license until later than 1990, she would have needed the passport for I-9 purposes. Although they have changed the I-9 form since then, you can google the form to see what is required for an employer to lay eyes on.

Since she didn't obtain that until 1990, it is entirely possible she used the BST birth certificate and Idaho ID (identity) til at least 1990 for employment purposes. And, I still wouldn't discount the idea of her using it beyond that time either.

Why wouldn't she get a driver's license instead of a passport? A driver's license would have been easier to obtain and less costly. Also, why the sudden urgency to get a passport in 1990? A rush passport would have included an expedite fee in addition to the standard cost. She would also have to travel to Houston to pick up the passport. She didn't have a driver's license that we know about, so did she take a bus or did someone drive her to Houston?

Also, where did she live from 1988 to 1990? The 1988 Dallas address on the SS application is fictitious. In March, April and May of 1990 we have a sudden flurry of activity tracing her to the Melody Ln. address is Dallas. Why did she wait two years to obtain ID in TX?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx