TX - 'Lori Ruff', Longview, WhtFem UP9863, *General Discussion and Theories* #4

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have previously looked at a Florida connection. There are some good leads I never followed there, because I was looking at them as related to my Ohio theory. There is an uncle and aunt who lived there on the mothers side who lived in Miami and another Florida town. I know this sound kooky, but I am originally from the East coast and lived in Florida for some time. That pic where she is tan... She has a definite Florida " look". Think of this too, if she did dabble in dancing, there are TONS of strip clubs in Florida and lots of girls do a " circuit" where they rotate from a cycle of clubs like Vegas, Florida, California... Not uncommon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi Linda! :seeya: Hope your feeling better!!!

Being from the Midwest, I'm not familiar with Texas hardly at all, but I did do some property management in the early 2000's for a shopping center in Brownsville. I stayed on South Padre Island, which I guess is known for its spring break crowd. When I was there they had the Sand Castle Contests and I have to say there were some amazing sand castles like I have never seen before! As I understand, Texas has a huge beautiful gulf coastline and I'm wondering if FLEK could get a tan like that along the Texas coastline as well? Places such as Galveston or something like that? There is also the possibility she was in Cali and got tan there or went to a tanning booth. I would imagine if she was stripping that she would want to look tan, so she got more tips. I guess I just can't say for sure that she got that tan in FL.

Hi Linda! :seeya: Hope your feeling better!!!

Being from the Midwest, I'm not familiar with Texas hardly at all, but I did do some property management in the early 2000's for a shopping center in Brownsville. I stayed on South Padre Island, which I guess is known for its spring break crowd. When I was there they had the Sand Castle Contests and I have to say there were some amazing sand castles like I have never seen before! As I understand, Texas has a huge beautiful gulf coastline and I'm wondering if FLEK could get a tan like that along the Texas coastline as well? Places such as Galveston or something like that? There is also the possibility she was in Cali and got tan there or went to a tanning booth. I would imagine if she was stripping that she would want to look tan, so she got more tips. I guess I just can't say for sure that she got that tan in FL.

So true! She did get her passport in Houston which is a gulf town. The sun is literally EVERYWHERE , heck she could have greased up with baby oil and layer out on a blanket in the back yard in Dallas( um, I might have some personal experience with this.. I will not admit it, lol)... Just like everything in this case, we are guessing. Hahah!

I was thinking tanning bed. Those things got crazy popular in the 90s. I knew a couple people who worked at one and they got free unlimited tanning. They were as dark as Lori, easily.

I was thinking tanning bed. Those things got crazy popular in the 90s. I knew a couple people who worked at one and they got free unlimited tanning. They were as dark as Lori, easily.

She could have gotten a tan anywhere that time of year. It was summer, but there is always the tanning bed. I don't think it gives us a clear indication where she might have been before Boise. I am thinking she needed the ID for travel, so for some reason she picked Boise to get it. She is either from near there, already was moving through there, or perhaps her research told her it is easy to get an Idaho ID there. I really doubt she presented it to the Dallas court since it would prove she was not a resident of Dallas County. So why did she get it 3 weeks before, knowing it would be useless in 3 weeks? I think so she could board a plane, train or bus for the trip to Dallas.

She could have gotten a tan anywhere that time of year. It was summer, but there is always the tanning bed. I don't think it gives us a clear indication where she might have been before Boise. I am thinking she needed the ID for travel, so for some reason she picked Boise to get it. She is either from near there, already was moving through there, or perhaps her research told her it is easy to get an Idaho ID there. I really doubt she presented it to the Dallas court since it would prove she was not a resident of Dallas County. So why did she get it 3 weeks before, knowing it would be useless in 3 weeks? I think so she could board a plane, train or bus for the trip to Dallas.

My memory is a little fuzzy, but did people really need to show ID to board a bus or train in the 1980's? I took a Greyhound bus once across several states in the 1990's and I don't recall having to show ID to buy the ticket or board the bus. I paid in cash. I might have needed ID if I had used a check or credit card. I also have taken a train across part of the US and Canada. I think I had to show ID for the train but that would have been the early 2000's, so after 9/11. I know for sure she would need it for boarding a plane though. They tightened airport security in the 1970's after the DB Cooper hijacking and a string of copycats. As of today, there are direct flights from Boise to Dallas. I have no clue how to check if they had direct flights in 1988. Could she have flown into Boise under her real name and flown out as Becky Sue Turner?

Random thought: I know there is age progressing programs, but are there any age digressing programs? Maybe someone would recognize a younger version of FLEK.

Instead of focuses on the WHO lately, I've been focusing on the WHERE lately. I believe that FLEK was not in the State of Texas From around 1991/92 until at least 2001/2.

<modsnip> the evidence is pretty solid that LEK was living full-time in the Houston area during at least half of those years. She registered for classes at a Community College in Fall of 1990. She was caught speeding October 1992. In 1996 she obtained that Buckeye flying certificate in the Dallas area. She attended UT at Arlington for several years until 1997 -- her husband's family found her college transcripts in the house after her suicide -- & her resume shows she held jobs in the Dallas area from 1997 on. (Yes, it is possible that her resume is entirely fictitious, but IMHO that document would make her achievements sound a lot more positive than it does.)

Now it's more than possible that she might have been gone from the Dallas area for weeks or months at a time between 1988 & 1992 -- say she registered at the community college in 1990, even signed up for some classes, but never showed up -- because we don't have much solid information about where she was living those years. Nevertheless, after late 1992 it becomes much harder to argue she wasn't living in the Dallas area. Your theory that she wasn't living in the Dallas area would be plausible is if someone went thru the old phone books for the time & see if they had no trace of her -- although it's not unusual for a single woman to list her name in the phone book by initials without her address, & if she moved a lot there might be no listing for her.

But to argue that she spent those years instead somewhere other than the Dallas metro area, such as Florida, the first step would be to check the local phone books, which at the least would verify the other information we have about where she lived. And the Dallas Public Library does have a collection of phone books that cover this period of time, which makes me wish I lived in the Dallas area so I could do the research.

<modsnip> the evidence is pretty solid that LEK was living full-time in the Houston area during at least half of those years. She registered for classes at a Community College in Fall of 1990. She was caught speeding October 1992. In 1996 she obtained that Buckeye flying certificate in the Dallas area. She attended UT at Arlington for several years until 1997 -- her husband's family found her college transcripts in the house after her suicide -- & her resume shows she held jobs in the Dallas area from 1997 on. (Yes, it is possible that her resume is entirely fictitious, but IMHO that document would make her achievements sound a lot more positive than it does.)

Now it's more than possible that she might have been gone from the Dallas area for weeks or months at a time between 1988 & 1992 -- say she registered at the community college in 1990, even signed up for some classes, but never showed up -- because we don't have much solid information about where she was living those years. Nevertheless, after late 1992 it becomes much harder to argue she wasn't living in the Dallas area. Your theory that she wasn't living in the Dallas area would be plausible is if someone went thru the old phone books for the time & see if they had no trace of her -- although it's not unusual for a single woman to list her name in the phone book by initials without her address, & if she moved a lot there might be no listing for her.

But to argue that she spent those years instead somewhere other than the Dallas metro area, such as Florida, the first step would be to check the local phone books, which at the least would verify the other information we have about where she lived. And the Dallas Public Library does have a collection of phone books that cover this period of time, which makes me wish I lived in the Dallas area so I could do the research.

Do we know any of her Houston addresses? It seems like her early Dallas addresses are PO boxes (Mockingbird was 1988). Could she have lived in Houston and kept a PO box in Dallas? And what purpose would she have to have a PO box in Dallas if she was going to Community College in Houston? Could she have lived under her real name but gone to Community College as Lori? Most Community Colleges require you to be a resident of the area to qualify for reduced tuition. So she would have to have established residency in Houston somehow, IMO.

ETA: Wait, I just checked the timeline thread and it says she attended "Dallas County Community College" in Fall of 1990. So, I don't know how we got that she was in Houston. Disregard my questions above.

I agree that 'Jennifer' is significant here. I also found in one of her survey marketing forums that she used to frequent, someone was promoting FLEK's services a little too over the top.... so much so, I am guessing that was FLEK trying to generate credibility and interest for her business under the name Jennifer M_____.

Sockpupetry is not an unusual recourse for people who find themselves without allies in forums. (It's a common phenomena on Wikipedia, for example.) Seeing how LEK was so limited in her social skills, I wouldn't be surprised if this Jennifer M. was her posting under another name.

<mod snip> I'm curious to see how this might fit in with the character portrait I have of her. (I don't really have one written out; it's just my inchoate impressions of her.)

My memory is a little fuzzy, but did people really need to show ID to board a bus or train in the 1980's? I took a Greyhound bus once across several states in the 1990's and I don't recall having to show ID to buy the ticket or board the bus. I paid in cash. I might have needed ID if I had used a check or credit card. I also have taken a train across part of the US and Canada. I think I had to show ID for the train but that would have been the early 2000's, so after 9/11. I know for sure she would need it for boarding a plane though. They tightened airport security in the 1970's after the DB Cooper hijacking and a string of copycats. As of today, there are direct flights from Boise to Dallas. I have no clue how to check if they had direct flights in 1988. Could she have flown into Boise under her real name and flown out as Becky Sue Turner?

Quite honestly I do not remember if we did or not. I have never ridden a bus other than local or school, so not sure. i thought we flashed id just to prove we were the one that made the reservation. Perhaps you could walk up and buy a ticket cash and not show anything at the counter. I am pretty certain most hotels required you to show ID when checking in. I cannot think of any reason she needed that ID in IDAHO unless she anticipated needing to show something with her " name" on it to someone. Most fake id's even then was to prove you were 21 and hers said she was 18. She must have needed that id for the three weeks leading up to the birth of Lori Erica Kennedy and the final rest of Becky Turner. It could have been a false start to change her name, and she found out Idaho is tougher on name change than texas...don't you hate that IDAHO is abbreviate ID and we are talking about ID..so we are talking about her ID ID..lol.

Quite honestly I do not remember if we did or not. I have never ridden a bus other than local or school, so not sure. i thought we flashed id just to prove we were the one that made the reservation. Perhaps you could walk up and buy a ticket cash and not show anything at the counter. I am pretty certain most hotels required you to show ID when checking in. I cannot think of any reason she needed that ID in IDAHO unless she anticipated needing to show something with her " name" on it to someone. Most fake id's even then was to prove you were 21 and hers said she was 18. She must have needed that id for the three weeks leading up to the birth of Lori Erica Kennedy and the final rest of Becky Turner. It could have been a false start to change her name, and she found out Idaho is tougher on name change than texas...don't you hate that IDAHO is abbreviate ID and we are talking about ID..so we are talking about her ID ID..lol.

I agree she needed it for something more than changing her name, since she didn't reference the ID ID (lol) on her name change documents and that ruling said she was a resident of Dallas...I'm left wondering if there is a Texas ID from 1988 in the name of BST that we are missing. Surely, LE would have checked the Texas DMV for that, right?

I've been thinking about why someone would get an Idaho ID that shows that he or she is 18, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I am the same age as FLEK, and a lifelong Washingtonian. The drinking age in WA has always been 21, but in Idaho, it was 19. People who went to Washington State U in Pullman, WA, constantly drove over to Idaho to drink. And 18 year olds knew exactly how to get Idaho an ID, and did it with some regularity. A few of my friends had them. The federal law raising the drinking age in the entire country went fully into effect in 1988. FLEK, with BST's ID, would have missed being grandfathered in by about 3 months. Her math scores weren't great, but still, she probably didn't get her ID for drinking. But maybe she was at WSU and learned a few tricks? Pullman is relatively close to Spokane, and some of the other small HWDR-related towns that have been discussed. Has anyone else looked at this angle? I don't want to duplicate efforts. It is a big, big school.

My friends got their IDs by using an older sib's birth cert. I used a yearbook photo and my mom to get my WA driving permit-- me and my friends used to joke about the ridiculous things we would haul into the DMV to prove our identities. We were 15-18 years old goofballs, and the staff never batted an eye. So FLEK's birth cert, complete with receipt would likely have been more than ample, even at a location that had its eye out for students trying to fake them out.

And about that receipt... Is there anything on it that ties it specifically to that particular birth certificate? I don't see anything. It looks to me like the receipt and stamp could have been for any birth cert. I mention this because on another site, someone mentioned that the number at the top of the BST birth cert indicates that it is one of only two LOCAL birth certs that are made (at the hospital, I think) prior to being sent off to be filed with the state. After that, any duplicate certs would display a number at the top indicating that it is from the state. If that is so, (and I don't know that it is for sure) how did FLEK end up with a local birth cert and a receipt from the state? The family would have had one of the two local copies, I believe.

Sorry for the blathering-- I hope this isn't all just a rehashing of old stuff.

Sockpupetry is not an unusual recourse for people who find themselves without allies in forums. (It's a common phenomena on Wikipedia, for example.) Seeing how LEK was so limited in her social skills, I wouldn't be surprised if this Jennifer M. was her posting under another name.

Speaking of sockpupetry, has anyone looked into the blogger who posted FLEK's mystery shopping assignments? Her blog photo is taken from a university staff webpage. So she appears to be a real person but it's so odd that she "borrowed" that photo rather than post a new one--that's something a sock blogger would do. Then she has a couple dozen different blogs with only one post each. She started an entire new BLOG, not just a new post, for every topic she wanted to post about. And almost every blog with only one post is dated January 4, 2010. She has some posts after 2010, but not many. Blogger allows you create posts and schedule a time when they will be auto posted later. There is one blog that appears to show family members but no new pictures of the blogger. I am wondering if FLEK could have tried to create these blogs in early 2010 when her marriage was falling apart? There are records of two people who lived in the Dallas area with the same name as the blogger. One of them was born in the UK and is the daughter of a Texas oil tycoon...her father and his current wife are everywhere in the social news in black tie and formal dress. I could not locate any recent photos of his daughter however or any references to her. The other one is the daughter of the man featured in the family blog posts. So it seems obvious that the blogger wants us to conclude which one she is...but my mind just reels at the coincidence of the one with the UK birth record and the oil connections. Can anyone tell me if we already found this person's social media to verify she's not FLEK? And if she's not FLEK then I want to know if she knew FLEK.

I've been thinking about why someone would get an Idaho ID that shows that he or she is 18, and I can't believe I didn't think of this before. I am the same age as FLEK, and a lifelong Washingtonian. The drinking age in WA has always been 21, but in Idaho, it was 19. People who went to Washington State U in Pullman, WA, constantly drove over to Idaho to drink. And 18 year olds knew exactly how to get Idaho an ID, and did it with some regularity. A few of my friends had them. The federal law raising the drinking age in the entire country went fully into effect in 1988. FLEK, with BST's ID, would have missed being grandfathered in by about 3 months. Her math scores weren't great, but still, she probably didn't get her ID for drinking. But maybe she was at WSU and learned a few tricks? Pullman is relatively close to Spokane, and some of the other small HWDR-related towns that have been discussed. Has anyone else looked at this angle? I don't want to duplicate efforts. It is a big, big school.

My friends got their IDs by using an older sib's birth cert. I used a yearbook photo and my mom to get my WA driving permit-- me and my friends used to joke about the ridiculous things we would haul into the DMV to prove our identities. We were 15-18 years old goofballs, and the staff never batted an eye. So FLEK's birth cert, complete with receipt would likely have been more than ample, even at a location that had its eye out for students trying to fake them out.

And about that receipt... Is there anything on it that ties it specifically to that particular birth certificate? I don't see anything. It looks to me like the receipt and stamp could have been for any birth cert. I mention this because on another site, someone mentioned that the number at the top of the BST birth cert indicates that it is one of only two LOCAL birth certs that are made (at the hospital, I think) prior to being sent off to be filed with the state. After that, any duplicate certs would display a number at the top indicating that it is from the state. If that is so, (and I don't know that it is for sure) how did FLEK end up with a local birth cert and a receipt from the state? The family would have had one of the two local copies, I believe.

Sorry for the blathering-- I hope this isn't all just a rehashing of old stuff.

Excellent ideas on why she would know it was easy to get an ID in Idaho.

I can't answer your questions about the receipt but I did look up both names on it a while back. It is stamped and signed by different people. It seems both former Kern County employees are still alive today. If you search for the man's name on facebook you find a somewhat incoherent rant from someone claiming their dead husband got scammed for buying into a fur company in 1984. It seems the fur company had some certification from Kern County making them appear legit. I can't quite understand the rant however. I don't think the poster's first language is English. I tried to figure out if that "scam" was documented anywhere by media but couldn't find anything and moved on to other leads. Posting this now in case anyone wants to follow that up more. I have too many other rabbit holes right now.

Speaking of sockpupetry, has anyone looked into the blogger who posted FLEK's mystery shopping assignments? Her blog photo is taken from a university staff webpage. So she appears to be a real person but it's so odd that she "borrowed" that photo rather than post a new one--that's something a sock blogger would do. Then she has a couple dozen different blogs with only one post each. She started an entire new BLOG, not just a new post, for every topic she wanted to post about. And almost every blog with only one post is dated January 4, 2010. She has some posts after 2010, but not many. Blogger allows you create posts and schedule a time when they will be auto posted later. There is one blog that appears to show family members but no new pictures of the blogger. I am wondering if FLEK could have tried to create these blogs in early 2010 when her marriage was falling apart? There are records of two people who lived in the Dallas area with the same name as the blogger. One of them was born in the UK and is the daughter of a Texas oil tycoon...her father and his current wife are everywhere in the social news in black tie and formal dress. I could not locate any recent photos of his daughter however or any references to her. The other one is the daughter of the man featured in the family blog posts. So it seems obvious that the blogger wants us to conclude which one she is...but my mind just reels at the coincidence of the one with the UK birth record and the oil connections. Can anyone tell me if we already found this person's social media to verify she's not FLEK? And if she's not FLEK then I want to know if she knew FLEK.
Sorry which blog site are you referring to? I've never looked that closely at this side of things but you've got me curious :)

as for the bus they did not really check ID unless someone ells pay for the tick and you had to pick it up. that was back in the early 90's

this is my think out loud really so please forgive me on this.

One if she was trying to keep in contacted with someone from her past she could have use personal add in the new papers. (for the cult thing)
I am think should could be younger then she looks in the photo and say on her ID.(me being tall and a bit bigger built I could pass for 18-25 at 13-14)
Then there is the "we dont do that" she told her mil about add in the paper. It should like something I would say to a child.

Did she have any odd scares on her back ? I am not sure if i ran across anything around the left shoulder.

In the high tea photo she was wearing a pink hat. I the Red hat Society women under 55 wear pink hats. They also do high tea and such a lot. (grandmother/Aunt)

I am trying to reach out to my friend and family in the area I have lived. There is some cross over in location maybe in years to not 100% yet.

Was just playing around with name combinations, wondering if maybe her real name was a mix of her adopted names. I got this result when I searched Becky Kennedy - probably nothing (I believe people from Arkansas have distinctive accents?) but got me thinking that there might be people out there who knew FLEK under her real name who are looking for her. http://www.topix.com/forum/city/jonesboro-ar/TGNDP5G90F9V01BK8

Off to search more 'long lost friend' type forums....

Sorry which blog site are you referring to? I've never looked that closely at this side of things but you've got me curious :)

See post #98 in this thread: http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...)-41-50-Suicide-Assumed-Identity-Dec-10/page7

Another strange thing I just noticed is the posts about FLEK's business are dated 2005 but the blogger's profile says she has only been on Blogger since 2007. So strange. Blogger allows you to back date posts as well to make it look like you have been blogging for years. You can start a blog today and enter a year's worth of posts from 1998 if you want to. But I can't come up with any motive for that on the part of this blogger...Surely by 2007 those mystery shopping jobs had expired, why post them years later? Unless Lori was trying to make her business look credible to her husband's family. IDK, I'm at a loss to explain this strange blog. I looked again at all the posts on the blog Lori's business was posted on. There are other people's mystery shopping ads dating back to September 2004. Why would there be posts from 2004 on a blog started in 2007? 2004 would have been Lori's first year of marriage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mjF7nx