Found Deceased TX - Maleah Davis, 4, Houston, 5 May 2019 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The owner of Maleah's daycare told KHOU that they haven't seen her since April 26. The owner said Vence picked up his son Friday but Maleah wasn't with him.

Where is Maleah Davis? Timeline in the disappearance of 4-year-old Houston girl

THIS. this. this. ^^^^ i swear, there are sirens going off in my brain right now. seriously, that's days before mom went out of town. i'm trying really hard to keep my fingers off the keyboard. i will continue with my self-control for a little while. promise. yes, i know what grandma said about her being with mom to do laundry. but...but...but...

I don't know what to think, but it makes me unhappy when people generalize that step-fathers are always bad, abusive people. I was blessed to have had an excellent stepfather, who I probably didn't appreciate as much as I should have when I was a child or teen.

Just a "shout out" that all stepdads are not bad.
I haven't seen that. I know plenty of wonderful stepdads....

I don't know what to think, but it makes me unhappy when people generalize that step-fathers are always bad, abusive people. I was blessed to have had an excellent stepfather, who I probably didn't appreciate as much as I should have when I was a child or teen.

Just a "shout out" that all stepdads are not bad.

Of course not. My brother raised his daughter from the age of 3. She's 20 now and they adore each other. He's her dad.

Regardless, it is fact that children who live with mama's new man have an incredible increased risk of sexual abuse, physical abuse and death form abuse. That's fact.

We identified 149 inflicted-injury deaths in our population during the 8-year study period. Children residing in households with unrelated adults were nearly 50 times as likely to die of inflicted injuries than children residing with 2 biological parents (adjusted odds ratio: 47.6; 95% confidence interval: 10.4–218). Children in households with a single parent and no other adults in residence had no increased risk of inflicted-injury death (adjusted odds ratio: 0.9; 95% confidence interval: 0.6–1.9). Perpetrators were identified in 132 (88.6%) of the cases. The majority of known perpetrators were male (71.2%), and most were the child’s father (34.9%) or the boyfriend of the child’s mother (24.2%). In households with unrelated adults, most perpetrators (83.9%) were the unrelated adult household member, and only 2 (6.5%) perpetrators were the biological parent of the child.
Child Deaths Resulting From Inflicted Injuries: Household Risk Factors and Perpetrator Characteristics

A five year old boy was beaten unconscious and later died at the hands of his mother’s boyfriend (McNeil, 2013). A two year old boy was left comatose from a beating given by his mother’s boyfriend. The boyfriend had been entrusted to care for the toddler two nights a week (Brignall, 2013). A four year old girl died of severe head injuries after being thrown down a set of stairs by her mother’s boyfriend. He was angry because she would not stop crying (Sedlak, 2012). These stories of child maltreatment are reported regularly in the morning paper and the nightly television news. Living in a home with an unrelated man significantly increases a child’s risk of being maltreated or fatally assaulted by that man (Yampolskaya, Greenbaum, & Berson, 2009). These situations beg for an answer to the question, “How do we prevent this kind of child maltreatment from happening?”

In the United States, 3.3 million child maltreatment reports are made annually involving 6 million children with non-biological males responsible for approximately 14% of the reported maltreatment cases. A primary prevention campaign called “Choose Your Partner Carefully” was introduced in Ohio to prevent and reduce the incidence of this problem by educating and raising the awareness of single mothers and the general public on how to prevent maltreatment by non-biological males. The campaign was designed to: 1. inform mothers that the partners they choose have an influence on their children’s lives and 2. provide assessment criteria used to determine if the partner has the potential to abuse or is abusing her children.
https://etd.ohiolink.edu/!etd.send_file?accession=osu1387564568&disposition=inline

One of the most comprehensive portraits of sexual and physical abuse of girls (and boys) comes from the Fourth National Incidence Study of Child Abuse and Neglect. As the figure above indicates, children are more likely to be abused when they do not live in a home with their married father. What’s more: girls and boys are significantly more likely to be abused when they are living in a cohabiting household with an unrelated adult—usually their mother’s boyfriend. Indeed, the report notes that “only 0.7 per 1,000 children living with two married biological parents were sexually abused, compared to 12.1 per 1,000 children living with a single parent who had an unmarried partner.” The results from this federal study are consistent with academic research (see here and here, as well) that indicates that “girls who are victimized are … more likely to have lived without their natural fathers,” and that the risk is especially high when a boyfriend or stepfather is in the picture.

The risk of physical abuse also increases when a child lives without her father, once again, particularly when an unrelated boyfriend is in the home. A 2005 study published in Pediatricsfound that “[c]hildren residing in households with unrelated adults were nearly 50 times as likely to die of inflicted injuries than children residing with 2 biological parents.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/post...overs-and-get-married/?utm_term=.257cc471ddca

And the reasons might be evolutionary:

The so-called “Cinderella Effect” is one of the foundational empirical findings in evolutionary psychology. Martin Daly and the late Margo Wilson, the two Deans of Modern Evolutionary Psychology, discovered, in their analysis of homicide data from Canada and Detroit, that stepchildren, those who live with a stepparent (usually, a stepfather), are anywhere from 40 to 100 times as likely to be murdered or maimed as those who live with two biological parents in the household.

In retrospect, this makes perfect sense. Parental love for children is evolutionarily conditional on the children’s ability to increase the parents’ reproductive success. Stepchildren do not carry any of the genes of the stepparents, so there is absolutely no evolutionary reason for stepparents to love, care for and invest in their stepchildren. Worse yet, any resources invested in stepchildren take away from investment that the stepparents could make in their own genetic children. So, in the cold, heartless calculus of evolutionary logic, it makes perfect sense for the stepfather to kill his stepchildren, so that his mate (the mother of the stepchildren) will only invest in their joint children, children whom the stepfather has had with the mother and who carry his genes. Only they can increase the stepfather’s reproductive success.
Why Are Stepparents More Likely to Kill Their Children?

What that means for me is you don't leave your very young kids alone with the new guy, and not for many years until you get to know the person and you certainly don't leave your kid alone with your man when the child has had repeated, unexplained "accidents".

To me, that's just child neglect.

Last edited:
THIS. this. this. ^^^^ i swear, there are sirens going off in my brain right now. seriously, that's days before mom went out of town. i'm trying really hard to keep my fingers off the keyboard. i will continue with my self-control for a little while. promise. yes, i know what grandma said about her being with mom to do laundry. but...but...but...

The 26th was a Friday. I agree with the other poster here who said maybe mom kept her home for more bonding time before her flight?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PrancingJeeves