TX - Maria Gonzalez, 11, father found her dead underneath a bed in their apt, strangled, SA & beaten, Pasadena, 12 Aug 2023 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
odd, all other reports state that the relatives found the door closed but unlocked. this is the only article I have seen that state it was locked. I am wondering if something has been lost in translation.
I was thinking some things are not translating over correctly. I for one do not speak Spanish so I used Google Translate.

"I kept calling and calling and she wouldn't answer," he told KHOU.

On his lunch break around 1 p.m., Carmelo Gonzalez asked his brother and sister-in-law, who live in the same apartment complex, to check on his daughter, Pasadena Police Chief Josh Bruegger told reporters during a news conference on Tuesday.

“At this point, the father’s alibi checks out, so he is — at this point, at least — not a suspect,” Bruegger said.

Mr González asked his brother Reginaldo González, who lives in the area with his family, to check on Maria. Maria’s uncle did not find her when he looked for her across the house with his wife but became alarmed after seeing coffee and sugar scattered on the couch.

“I felt something different immediately after opening the door,” Reginaldo González told Telemundo 47. “I thought, ‘What happened here?”

Maria’s father then arrived at the home and joined the search, eventually suggesting that his daughter could be doing laundry because the laundry basket was gone.

“He asked out loud, ‘Why is not my laundry basket here?” Reginaldo González said. “Then we found her. They put the girl inside a trash bag in the basket under the bed.”

Last edited:
This poor little girl and her father. I can't even imagine. In my opinion, this sounds a lot like the murderer is a teen.
I keep thinking about that Josh Phillips kid that killed his 8yo neighbor. The Father was quoted above saying he wanted her to grow up with her cousins. I am curious about their ages and if she was comfortable with their friends as well and if any are teens.

I totally agree!
I honestly just can't wrap my brain around the timeline-

Dad leaves for work at 9:45am.

Daughter texts dad shortly after 10am that someone was at the door.

Dad sends a few more texts, (times unknown), with no reply.

Dad contacts Aunt & Uncle 3 HOURS later about 1pm to check on her???

I just can't imagine waiting so long to have someone check on my child after receiving a concerning message 15 minutes after leaving for work. Maybe that's just me, but this has been bothering me all day just trying to make sense of the hours inbetween. If my child was concerned enough to contact me, and I didn't get a reply from them right away, I'd have immediately returned home myself. MOO
I mean, if the text is just that someone is at the door, that isn't in of itself concerning. Someone trying to break in or that keeps coming around-that's different. But if one of mine texted me this I'd be saying, "don't open it, call police if they doing go away"

I believe they would, mostly to see who would cooperate and who would refuse, disappear from their apartment, or flee.
That alone wouldn't necessarily be an indicator of anything though, since there's legit fears stemming from citizen/alien status, distrust of government and police. This alone would cause many innocent people to flee or not cooperate.

This is getting stranger. Coffee and sugar on a sofa? What happened during a home invasion with a goal of abusing a child that led to that happening? Did they go looking at the laundromat the moment dad suddenly noted he was missing a laundry basket or did they just go from that comment to looking in the apt for a basket? Did they call and/or find her phone? Without fully crossing the TOS line all I can really say at this point is that this entire scene feels staged in a way that doesn’t convey “random”, MOO. I am trying to be optimistic but I think this one is definitely a case that forensics will need to sort the details out on. May the killer be identified and removed from the community as quickly as possible.

What are some reasons coffee and sugar would be scattered about? Was it brewed coffee or coffee grounds?
I'm wondering if a 'friendly' neighbour, who knew Dad left for work, knocked on the door with a good excuse. If it was a neighbour that they all knew, she'd likely open the door.

Maybe he asked if he could borrow OR make a cup of coffee to have an excuse for being there ? Then when she relaxed and let down her guard, he attacked?

Last edited:
This poor little girl and her father. I can't even imagine. In my opinion, this sounds a lot like the murderer is a teen.
You know, I didn't think of this but now that you brought it up, I'm very much reminded of little Madyson Middleton from Santa Cruz CA, who was sadly raped and strangled to death by her 15-year-old neighbor in 2015. :( Like Maria, Madyson lived in an apartment complex. Madyson's murderer, Adrian Gonzalez, lived in the same apartment complex as her and used that familiarity to lure her and sickeningly harm her.

While it sounds like Maria was harmed in her own apartment rather than being lured to the murderer's living space (at least at this point since she was found there and there was coffee and sugar spilled on the sofa), I think it would be very possible for a neighbor, possibly a teenager, to have tricked her into letting him into the apartment under false premises.

I'm wondering if a 'friendly' neighbour, who knew Dad left for work, knocked on the door with a good excuse. If it was a neighbour that they all knew, she'd likely open the door.

Maybe he asked if he could borrow OR make a cup of coffee to have an excuse for being there ? Then when she relaxed and let down her guard, he attacked?
I am thinking something along these lines as well. A neighbor she was familiar with knocking and asking if he could come in, maybe claiming he wanted to visit her dad to say hello or speak about something, and he doesn't mind waiting until her dad is home from work. She says OK and lets him in. He asks if he can have a cup of coffee, Maria gets up to get coffee and sugar, and he catches her off guard and attacks her, leading the coffee and sugar to be spilled everywhere? Just thinking.

You know, I didn't think of this but now that you brought it up, I'm very much reminded of little Madyson Middleton from Santa Cruz CA, who was sadly raped and strangled to death by her 15-year-old neighbor in 2015. :( Like Maria, Madyson lived in an apartment complex. Madyson's murderer, Adrian Gonzalez, lived in the same apartment complex as her and used that familiarity to lure her and sickeningly harm her.

While it sounds like Maria was harmed in her own apartment rather than being lured to the murderer's living space (at least at this point since she was found there and there was coffee and sugar spilled on the sofa), I think it would be very possible for a neighbor, possibly a teenager, to have tricked her into letting him into the apartment under false premises.

I am thinking something along these lines as well. A neighbor she was familiar with knocking and asking if he could come in, maybe claiming he wanted to visit her dad to say hello or speak about something, and he doesn't mind waiting until her dad is home from work. She says OK and lets him in. He asks if he can have a cup of coffee, Maria gets up to get coffee and sugar, and he catches her off guard and attacks her, leading the coffee and sugar to be spilled everywhere? Just thinking.
It’s quite plausible.

So unfortunate that the cameras weren’t working. He needs to be apprehended.

Poor child was tricked into opening the door.

"
.... Maria Gonzalez had been home alone at around 10 a.m. on Saturday when someone knocked at her front door.

The girl texted her father, Carmelo Gonzalez, 32, who had just gone to work.

In an interview with KHOU, Carmelo Gonzalez said he told his daughter not to answer the front door.

Maria Gonzalez said she wouldn't and would stay in her bed. Carmelo Gonzalez said it was the last communication he received from his daughter.

"I kept calling and calling and she wouldn't answer," he told KHOU.

On his lunch break around 1 p.m., Carmelo Gonzalez asked his brother and sister-in-law, who live in the same apartment complex, to check on his daughter, Pasadena Police Chief Josh Bruegger told reporters during a news conference on Tuesday.

The girl's aunt and uncle found the front door unlocked and when they went inside, they found things were out of place. They looked around but could not find her, Bruegger said.

Her aunt and uncle then began looking for her in the apartment complex.
When Carmelo Gonzalez returned home around 3 p.m., he searched the apartment and found his daughter underneath her bed. He told KHOU that her body was wrapped in a trash bag and had been placed inside a laundry basket. Police said the girl had been strangled to death."

"Maria Gonzalez and her father had been living in the U.S. for about four years after immigrating from Guatemala. They had been living in the apartment for about three months, Bruegger said"

Moo but knocking to doors isn’t enough to rush home. I’ve been left alone as a child so many times, if my parents would have rushed home every time someone knocked to the doors it wouldn’t Be sustainable. Imo

Maria’s mother says she’s ‘run out of tears’

Maria’s mother Ana Elizabeth Xitumul Saput told Telemundo 47 that she and her youngest daughter had stayed behind in Guatemala due to her heart issues. She said the tragic news had taken a huge toll on her and now just wants to see her daughter one last time.

“I don’t want to cry anymore ... I want justice. I need her killer to turn himself in and I’m asking God that kind-hearted people help us bring our daughter’s remains back to Guatemala,” the grieving mother said. “This person has no feelings. Don’t you have sisters, a mother?”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/crime/maria-gonzalez-murder-rape-texas-b2394899.html

“I left her alone in the apartment and she was sending voice notes saying that someone was on the door. I told her not to open the door and that I was leaving work,” an emotional Mr Gonzalez told Univision in Spanish.

Mr Gonzalez eventually found Maria’s remains wrapped inside two plastic bags and stuffed inside a basket placed under the girl’s bed.

Mr Bruegger said the door was locked when family members first arrived searching for Maria. He said the entrance did not appear to have been forced
*so I guess the relatives had keys
Girls bed, thought it was Dad's bed?
Door was locked? Upthread it says unlocked.

"This is unforgivable," Carmelo's co-worker, Azalia Castillo, told ABC13.

Castillo works with Carmelo at Wok D'Lite, a Chinese restaurant just a few minutes from his apartment. She said they work six days a week, 12 hours a day.

"We open at 10 a.m. We close at 10 p.m., and we're here just constantly," she added. "He was working, like everybody else, trying to survive."

Her voice cracked as she explained, "It was on a day that he could have been home, but he couldn't. He needed it.

Moo but knocking to doors isn’t enough to rush home. I’ve been left alone as a child so many times, if my parents would have rushed home every time someone knocked to the doors it wouldn’t Be sustainable. Imo
A previous article detailed that her father tried numerous times to contact her after her text and was getting no answer (she was normally communicative/responsive to him); that's why he finally sent his relatives to check on her.

I take it that when that relative found the front door unlocked and saw coffee & sugar spilled on the couch that they may have let dad know that as it was seen as hincky. Dad then came home from work and noticed his laundry basket 'missing' and they figured she may be out doing laundry ... only to find that basket under is bed while searching.

Whew... door locked would have narrowed suspects to a select few.

Door unlocked with no cameras leaves many possibles.

Relatives should have been contacted .0001 seconds after no reply IMO to check on her.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back