GUILTY TX - Mason Williams, 21 months, murdered, parents blame death on demons, Kyle, 4 Jul 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
for Monday, May 2nd morning session.

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
I'm back in the courtroom today covering week two in the trial for Dazrine Chagoya-Williams, the Kyle mom who allegedly murdered her nearly 2-year-old son Mason.

First this morning, Hon. Judge Bill Henry will decide whether a conversation that reportedly happened between Chagoya-Williams’ mother and Stevie should or should not be brought before jurors.

Linda Chagoya said Stevie told her: “Dazrine had nothing to do with it” in jail.

Judge Henry overrules the state's objection. The statement will be admitted. He acknowledges this is a very complicated legal decision.

Linda Chagoya will be back on the stand first this morning.

State is grilling Linda about why she didn't a) respond to the state's subpoena until the state reached out to her b) report the alleged jail statement by Stevie to the state before trial c) get concerned about bruising on baby Dazrine's ribs even after Mason's CPS case

Rudy Delgado is the state's next witness even though court records show his subpoena was unserved.

Delgado is Chagoya-Williams' step father.

Delgado testified that Dazrine called him before she called 911 to tell him Mason hadn't waken up after his nap. He said he told her to hang up and call 911.

He described Dazrine as peaceable, nurturing and patient.

Shannon Dougrey, a pediatric nurse practitioner, is the state's next witness -- signaling the likely end of testimony from family members.

She worked at CommuniCare in Kyle. She was Mason's primary care provider.

In early December, records show Chagoya-Williams brought Mason in for constipation. Nothing was noted aside from the constipation.

In late December, she brought him in again for a checkup. There were no red flags.

He was removed from the parents by CPS in January.

More records.
-Feb. 14, 2018: Chagoya-Williams brings Mason in for a checkup, he is found to be healthy.
-Feb 21, 2018: Chagoya-Williams brings Mason in for a cough. No major red flags, Dougrey testified. This was the last visit.
-July 4, 2018: Mason dies.

There were several appointments that Mason would have missed between Feb. 21 and July 4, Dougrey testified.

Lunch break until 1:10.

Here's what court records show as the state's witness list, by the way. Not a lot of names left on the list as people who have yet to testify:
[I can't copy/paste this]

Among those still to testify:
-Marion Forbes (Dell Children's)
-Suzanna Dana (will present the autopsy)
-Dallas Skeens (CPS)

Those will likely align with previous testimony: https://txcourts.gov/media/1448069/03-20-00114-cv-opinion.pdf

-Baby Dazrine's adoptive dad testified in Stevie's trial, may again

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV/status/1521126219273670657

I shall post the afternoon session in "my" morning! :)

for Monday, May 2nd - afternoon session:

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
So what's coming next?

The state has five more witnesses, they say.

The defense indicated Chagoya-Williams COULD testify, but gave no real nod one way or the other. They don't have to reveal what they'll present yet.

The state has 80 photos from Mason's autopsy, not all of them will be presented to the jury.

I will only be giving a broad overview of what is shown and described by Dr. Dana. The photos are disturbing.

Chagoya-Williams is sobbing in the courtroom as photos of Mason's autopsy are shown.

Dr. Dana is going through external injuries first.

External injuries included bruising, an injury to the inside of the mouth and scars from a previous burn injury.

Now detailing the internal injuries.

Jury taking their afternoon break.

Dr. Dana is detailing internal injuries to Mason including internal bleeding and rib fractures. She is cut off listing those injuries and will continue after the break.

Jurors have been emotional watching/hearing about the autopsy.

I list and describe all of the injuries in this attached article. I am not going to post them all on Twitter.

The finger-sized bruises are brought up again.

"The most that I would say is that they could be made by fingers because they're round," Dana said.

Noted you could not determine if the bruises were made by large or small hands, something Dazrine's defense keeps bringing up.

Sgt. Daniel Gooding is the state's next witness. He was involved in Stevie and Dazrine's arrest.

The jury will break for the day.

The state will start tomorrow morning with a video from Sgt. Gooding's vehicle which shows Dazrine and Stevie on their way to jail after being arrested.

I do not believe that was shown in Stevie's trial.

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV

Tuesday, May 3rd:
*Trial continues (Day 7) (@ 9am CT) – TX – Mason Williams (21 mos.) (July 4, 2018, Kyle; parents blame demons on death) - *Dazrine Ruth Chagoya-Williams (20/now 24) arrested & charged (7/23/18) with1st degree capital murder & 1st degree injury to a child (8 mo. old daughter). Plead not guilty. $250K Surety bond or cash. Bond reduction-denied (8/26/21).
Prior CPS reports; 8 mo. old taken by CPS. 8-month-old daughter was injured too; the infant was taken to a local hospital & found to have multiple rib fractures, a skull fracture & a lacerated kidney.
Trial began on 4/25/22.

Court hearings from 10/15/18 thru 4/24/22 & Trial Days 1-5 (4/25 thru 4/29/22) reference post #140 here:
TX - Mason Williams, 21 months, murdered, parents blame death on demons, Kyle, 4 Jul 2018

5/2/22 Monday, Trial Day 6: State witnesses: Linda Chagoya, Dazrine’s mother. Rudy Delgado, Dazrine's step father. Shannon Dougrey, a pediatric nurse practitioner. She worked at CommuniCare in Kyle. She was Mason's primary care provider.
for more info see post #141 here:
TX - Mason Williams, 21 months, murdered, parents blame death on demons, Kyle, 4 Jul 2018
Dr. Suzanna Dana (did the autopsy). Sgt. Daniel Gooding. He was involved in Stevie & Dazrine's arrest.
for more info see post #143 here:
Trial continues on 5/3/22.

*Stevie Dwayne Williams – Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 10/21/21 was found guilty of 1st degree capital murder & sentenced to LWOP. Appeal filed 12/21/21.

for Tuesday, May 3rd - morning session:

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
#HappeningToday: There are only a handful of witnesses left in the trial for the Kyle mom who allegedly murdered her nearly two-year-old son, Mason, in 2018. Jury will first hear from the sgt who transported Dazrine Chagoya-Williams to jail.
I'm in the courtroom.

Jurors not in the room:
Attorneys talking about a Brady notice the state sent last night.
State says after Stevie's trial they sent Stevie and Dazrine's cell phones to Homeland Security.
They say when the phones were returned a Kyle PD detective misplaced them.

"The actual information hasn't changed," the state said. "The issue of the lost physical phones would just go to the weight of the evidence."

The defense said they will cross-examine the detective on that.

That will come into play during testimony from Detective Swonke.

The state handed the defense a disc yesterday that had video from a Kyle PD sergeant’s vehicle on it. It showed Dazrine and Stevie on their way to jail.

The defense forgot to bring it back this morning so another copy has to be burned. It will cause a delay this morning.

Back in business. The The jury will now see the video from Sgt. Gooding's vehicle showing Dazrine being transported to jail after her arrest.
In the video, Dazrine is handcuffed, does not appear emotional and she says nothing. Sgt. Gooding advised of charges and started driving.

The ride to jail is played in its entirety.
State: "Did she {Chagoya-Williams] show any emotion at all?"
Gooding: "No ma'am."

She didn't say a word, or look at Stevie, who is also in the car, the entire ride.

Next witness is detective Joseph Swonke.

He's the detective that the state says lost Stevie and Dazrine's cell phones after they were returned by Homeland Security post-Stevie's trial.

Linda Chagoya told jurors that detectives broke he news to her that Stevie had a third child that was not with Dazrine.

But Detective Swonke says Linda knew that already when he asked her about it, said she was not surprised.

State about to get into the cell phone evidence.

Morning break happening now.

Details about the cell phone reportedly going missing sometime between Stevie and Chagoya-Williams' trial at Austin News & Weather | Austin, TX | KXAN Austin

State going through phone records now.

Call records show several calls were made by both Stevie and Dazrine before Dazrine called 911. Both called a parent or grandparent. It took roughly 12 mins from the time Stevie first called his grandma to the time 911 was called.

Jury taking an early lunch. Will return at 12:10.

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV/status/1521489603710042115

and the afternoon tweets - I'll post tomorrow morning. :)

for Tuesday, May 3rd - afternoon session.

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
10h
There's been a lot of legal behind the scenes happening today outside of the presence of the jury.

Jurors still not back in the courtroom after the early lunch. Attorneys arguing about what evidence can and can't be included moving forward right now.

The state now walking through Dazrine and Stevie's Facebook activity.

After Mason's death, they deleted or blocked family members and then ultimately deleted the profile.

State walked through a few text message exchanges between Dazrine and Stevie.

They talked about the kids acting up, their relationship and taking care of the kids.

Jury will now see photos and videos pulled.

First video shows Mason with Stevie. Mason appears to have a bruise on his forehead.

"Say 'what's up'" Stevie teases Mason in the video.
"Wassut," Mason attempts. He is laughing and happy.

Lots of videos of a giggling and happy Mason. He has bruises in the videos.

Text exchanges between Dazrine and Stevie show she was concerned about how much Mason was crying.

She detailed how he screams to the point of coughing and doesn't want to be put down.

"He's really messed up" she said during that exchange. This was after Mason was returned.

State now walking through Dazrine's Google search history.

She googled quite a few things related to an eye injury like, "why is my eyeball swollen" and "broken blood vessel in eye."

She also googled, "can my baby have more than one soft spot."

Videos of Mason before his death show obvious facial bruising and at one point the white of Mason's left eye was completely red.

The state is opening video after video and having the detective point out injuries to Mason and baby Dazrine while Mason was alive.

The jury now taking their afternoon break.

When they come back, the defense will continue its cross examination of this detective.

The jury is brought into the courtroom and sent right back out.

The defense is trying to introduce Stevie's "demons" comment. The state doesn't think it should be allowed.

More legal back and forth outside of the presence of the jury. There's been a lot of that today.

The defense will be allowed to introduce some of Stevie's statements that he made to detectives (about something "evil" or "demons" killing Mason) but the judge will give limiting instructions to the jury.

Kyle PD losing the cell phones is now being brought up in cross-examination.

"If someone wanted to test that phone in this case, at whatever timeframe, right now that's not available to best tested, correct?"

Detective confirms.

There has been a whole lot of legal arguing, researching, digging through evidence today.

The jury has been in and out of the courtroom all day as that happens.

Only two witnesses have been on the stand today.

Defense brings forward text exchange.

Chagoya-Williams: I wish you would talk to me and let me know what's going on instead of acting out.
Stevie: When did I act out
CW: Ignoring me, being rude to me and the kids, slamming
Stevie: Don't see when that happened

Defense is reading more messages between Dazrine and Stevie where she tries to convince Stevie not to "run away" from his family. She tells Stevie not to be like his dad.

Stevie shares frustration about the kids liking Dazrine more than him.

Chagoya-Williams to Stevie: "You're killing me and if you think you're not killing the kids then I don't know."

Jury sent home. A lot of legal behind the scenes stalled testimony today. Only two witnesses were on the stand.

This detective will be back tomorrow. The state still has 4 witnesses.

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV/status/1521607836421271552

Wednesday, May 4th:
*Trial continues (Day 8) (@ 9am CT) – TX – Mason Williams (21 mos.) (July 4, 2018, Kyle; parents blame demons on death) - *Dazrine Ruth Chagoya-Williams (20/now 24) arrested & charged (7/23/18) with1st degree capital murder & 1st degree injury to a child (8 mo. old daughter). Plead not guilty. $250K Surety bond or cash. Bond reduction-denied (8/26/21).
Prior CPS reports; 8 mo. old taken by CPS. 8-month-old daughter was injured too; the infant was taken to a local hospital & found to have multiple rib fractures, a skull fracture & a lacerated kidney.
Trial began on 4/25/22.

Court hearings from 10/15/18 thru 4/24/22 & Trial Days 1-6 (4/25 thru 5/2/22) reference post #144 here:

5/3/22 Tuesday, Trial Day 7: State witnesses: Sgt. Daniel Gooding continues on the stand. He was involved in Stevie & Dazrine's arrest. Jury watched the video from Sgt. Gooding's vehicle showing Dazrine being transported to jail after her arrest. Detective Joseph Swonke. He's the detective that the State says lost Stevie & Dazrine's cell phones after they were returned by Homeland Security post-Stevie's trial.
for more info see post #145 here:
Detective Joseph Swonke continued.
for more info see post #146 here:
Trial continues on 5/4/22.

*Stevie Dwayne Williams – Trial began on 10/12/21 & ended on 10/21/21 was found guilty of 1st degree capital murder & sentenced to LWOP. Appeal filed 12/21/21.

for Wed. May 4th - morning session:

Back in the courtroom this morning for the trial of Dazrine Chagoya-Williams, the Kyle mom who allegedly murdered her nearly 2-year-old son in 2018. The state only has a handful of witnesses left.

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
3h
The jury will first see videos posted to Facebook in 2018 where Chagoya-Williams and Stevie talk about Mason's prior CPS case.

Dazrine starts to explain: "Everything was cool, we were trying to calm him down actually because he was really fussy..."

Talking about Mason's burns: "The water heater was broken and also something was backed up in the kitchen sink" she explained.

Chagoya-Williams said water came "up" the drain and it was "scorching hot" but the water coming out of the faucet was fine.

Chagoya-Williams said CPS verified their drain backup/water heater story.

"It's not something that you just want to go share with the world. Parents make mistakes but we didn't know," Chagoya-Williams said.

Dazrine recalls asking at the hospital in 2017: "Why are you all going to punish us for something somebody else did?"

She spends a lot of time talking about things that happened at the hospital that she thought was "weird." She was skeptical and even doubted Mason had fractures

The defense just asked Detective Swonke which parent he can show actually caused the injuries to Mason that killed him.

"We can't say for sure which one," Swonke said, noting neither would say which was responsible. "We just know they were both there when he died."

The state will present testimony from Chagoya-Williams from a previous CPS trial now.

That will likely lead into lunch.

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV/status/1521849311990005767

I need to have that 'scorching hot' water coming up out of the drain explained to me.

for Wed, May 4th - afternoon sessions:

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
12h
During this previous CPS trial attorneys asked Dazrine questions about the 911 call, her and Stevie finding Mason, why they put him in the bath and tried to use the nebulizer, CPS arriving to talk to them about baby Dazrine. She answers in mostly one or two words.

The state's next witness is Dallas Skeens, the caseworker involved in baby Dazrine's case.

The state will use Skeens to show there were no injuries to baby Dazrine after she was removed from Stevie and Chagoya-Williams' home.

-The adoptive father will come next and will also testify to that.

Skeens' testimony was quick, only a couple of minutes.

Benjamin Holladay, Dazrine's adoptive father, is now on the stand.

Chagoya-Williams is crying.

Holladay said baby Dazrine is smart and adventurous. He talks about her so kindly. She's four-years-old now.

Holladay testified during Stevie's trial too. He expressed how loved and cared for baby Dazrine would be. It still sticks out to me.

Marion Forbes from Dell Children's will take the stand now. She is the state's final witness.

I apologize, Forbes is a doctor in title.

Dr. Marion Forbes, a physician that specializes in pediatrics from Dell Children's.

The state will now have Forbes walk through x-rays/findings from when Mason was brought in for burns in 2017. This is the visit that led to CPS removing Mason for nearly a year.

Forbes will also walk through x-ray images/findings from baby Dazrine in 2018, after Mason died.

Jury will break for the day. We expect the state to rest its case tomorrow.

link: https://twitter.com/GraceReaderTV/status/1521964768449413120

Thursday, May 5th:
*Trial continues (Day 9) (@ 9am CT) – TX – Mason Williams (21 mos.) (July 4, 2018, Kyle; parents blame demons on death) - *Dazrine Ruth Chagoya-Williams (20/now 24) arrested & charged (7/23/18) with1st degree capital murder & 1st degree injury to a child (8 mo. old daughter). Plead not guilty. $250K Surety bond or cash. Bond reduction-denied (8/26/21).
Trial began on 4/25/22.

Court hearings from 10/15/18 thru 4/24/22 & Trial Days 1-7 (4/25 thru 5/3/22) reference post #147 here:

5/4/22 Wednesday, Trial Day 8: State witness: Detective Joseph Swonke. The detective that the State says lost Stevie & Dazrine's cell phones after they were returned by Homeland Security is back on stand. The jury saw videos posted to Facebook in 2018 where Chagoya-Williams & Stevie talk about Mason's prior CPS case.
The State presented testimony from Chagoya-Williams from a previous CPS trial.
for more info see post #148 here:
State witnesses: Dallas Skeens, the caseworker involved in baby Dazrine's case. Benjamin Holladay, Dazrine's adoptive father. Dr. Marion Forbes from Dell Children's. She is the State's final witness. State expected to rest their case tomorrow.
for more info see post #150 here:
Trial continues on 5/5/22.

For Thursday, May 5th

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
16h
The state is expected to rest its case today in the trial of Dazrine Chagoya-Williams, the Kyle mom who allegedly murdered her nearly 2-year-old son, Mason, in 2018.

Forbes testified the injuries from Mason’s 2017 hospital visit were similar to the injuries that led to his death less than two years later.

“The only difference being in 2017 the chest trauma was not long enough to inhibit breathing long enough to cause death,” she said.

Forbes also happened to be on-duty for the CARE team at Dell Children's when baby Dazrine was brought in by CPS, the day after Mason's death.

She is now walking through baby Dazrine's injuries, which were similar to Mason's.

Baby Dazrine had ear bruising. Forbes said that kind of bruising isn't accidental and is a sign of abuse.

"Very forceful blunt trauma to that area and pinching, grabbing, pulling of the ear," Forbes explains.

Dazrine mentioned ear bruising when she called 911 for Mason.

Baby Dazrine also had bruising on her body, a fracture in her shoulder and many rib fractures.

Forbes is showing a CT scan and where the fractures are: "there's one there, there's one there, there's one there..."

Forbes testified some injuries were older than others.

The nine-month-old had external bruising, a fracture in her shoulder-area, many rib fractures, damage to her kidney, bleeding near her spine, cardiac contusion and a skull fracture.

The injuries were at various stages of healing, Forbes testified.

Defense now cross-examining Forbes. Again, she is the state's last witness. We're getting down to the wire in this trial.

Jury will take a long lunch today because the judge has another matter to attend to. They will be back at 1:10 for continued cross examination of the state's final witness. Defense says they have roughly 30 minutes left.

The defense has witnesses here ready to go.

The state rests.

The jury is not in the room.
The defense is asking for a directed verdict ruling -- meaning they're asking the judge to rule there's not enough evidence for a jury to reach the conclusion that Chagoya-Williams is guilty.

The motion for a directed verdict is denied.

Chagoya-Williams will now decide whether or not she will testify.

What is your decision? the judge asks her under oath.

Chagoya-Williams: "I do not want to testify."

The defense will start by bringing Linda Chagoya, Dazrine's mom, back to the stand.

The defense also published several additional photos of Mason's body during his autopsy. In them, hands are placed around the body, near the bruises that appear to be fingerprints.

*from fingers, not fingerprints.

Defense asked a couple clarifying questions of Linda Chagoya and will now call Benjamin Holladay back to the stand -- baby Dazrine's adoptive father.

They'll ask him to clarify some comments as well.

Isabelle Del Cueto is the defense's next witness. Amanda is her mom, Dazrine Chagoya-Williams is her aunt.

We have not heard from Isabelle prior.

Next witness is a family friend. Her name is Trudy. I couldn't understand her last name and she didn't spell it for the court reporter.

Ince is the last name, Trudy Ince.

She said she saw Mason last when he was about a year old, but then said it was before Mason was removed from his parents' custody.

Mason was removed at around 3 months.

Described Dazrine as kind and gentle.

Tiffany Gallegos is next. The defense is moving through witnesses pretty quick.

Gallegos is Dazrine's cousin.

Next up is Randall Padilla -- Dazrine's uncle.

All of Dazrine's family members have said their relationship changed with Dazrine because of Stevie.

The defense only has one more witness.

She was one of the victims' services folks out at the scene in 2018. She is apparently not here yet so there's a bit of a delay.

The defense is trying to use a victims' services employee to relay a statement she reportedly heard Dazrine say to Stevie on scene.

"You did this, didn't you?" is the statement. Stevie reportedly didn't answer.

The state does not want this statement to be included and says they'll rebuttal.

It means they'll have to bring witnesse(s) back tomorrow morning to refute the statement.

The defense rests.
The jury will go home for the day.

The state could possibly rebuttal tomorrow.

link:

For Friday, May 6

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
4h
#HappeningToday: Closing arguments will happen today in the trial of a Kyle mother who allegedly murdered her nearly 2-year-old son, Mason, in 2018. I'm in the courtroom.

Both the state and the defense officially close.
There will now be a charge conference outside of the presence of the jury.
When the jury gets back, the court will read the charge, closing arguments will happen and the jury will be sent to deliberate.

Even though the judge overruled a state objection to bring a lesser included offense to the jury, Chagoya-Williams just testified she does not want a lesser included offense.

So a jury will only have the option of finder her guilty or not guilty of capital murder of a child.

Well, hold up. The judge is looking into case law that would allow him to assert a lesser included offense.

The judge wants to hear in the words of Chagoya-Williams why she would choose this.

It's an unusual, and potentially life-changing, all or nothing trial strategy. It could be the difference between spending 20 years in prison and spending the rest of her life there.

The defense says they've urged Chagoya-Williams to include the lesser included.

When asked again if she wants the lesser included:
"I do not."

Judge disagrees and says they will keep the lesser included.

The charge is read.

Again, even though the state/Chagoya-Williams did not want lesser included offenses, the judge included them.

So to be clear, here's how this works:

Bc the judge kept the lesser included offenses, the jury could find Chagoya-Williams guilty of manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide instead of capital murder.

Closing comments will now happen.

Each side gets an hour. The state gets to split their time and gets to speak last because they have the burden of proof.

"Even if she didn't do it herself, I think she did, she knows what's happening, she knows what's going on...and she certainly didn't do anything to prevent it."

The state also asks the jury to disregard the lesser included offenses.

State hands it over to the defense for closing.

"I want to talk to you about the law applicable to this case..." they start.

Again, the state has roughly 45 mins left after the defense wraps. They get to speak last bc they have burden of proof.

"You're going to send this young 24-year-old woman to prison for life?"

"Let's focus on what they charged and what the law requires."

Jury will take a quick break before the defense continues. There's probably roughly 50 people in the courtroom today.

The defense started back up. It appears they'll use almost all of their time working to point the finger at Stevie.

"I think the evidence shows he was angry, narcissistic, lazy..."

Chagoya-Williams is crying again.

The defense ends by smacking a phone against his palm and saying the only evidence the state has of a parent actually hurting a child is a video of Stevie smacking the kids on the forehead with his phone.

"Find her not guilty because she is not guilty. Thank you." They're done.

"Dazrine Williams killed Mason."

The state ends by showing a photo of Mason.

"They killed him."

The state is done. The jury will deliberate.

A lot of you are asking how long this will take. It took Stevie's jury eight hours to come to a decision but it's a jury trial -- there is no timeline.

When they come to a decision, I'll let you know.

link:

I believe deliberations started about 12:30pm CT. So if they deliberated until say 5pm - I will approximate the time at 4 1/2 hours on Friday.

Since I had no access to WS all day yesterday - I'll go ahead & post this to keep my notes straight.

Friday, May 6th:
*Trial continues (Day 10)-VERDICT WATCH! (@ 9am CT) – TX – Mason Williams (21 mos.) (July 4, 2018, Kyle; parents blame demons on death) - *Dazrine Ruth Chagoya-Williams (20/now 24) arrested & charged (7/23/18) with1st degree capital murder & 1st degree injury to a child (8 mo. old daughter). Plead not guilty. $250K Surety bond or cash. Bond reduction-denied (8/26/21).
Trial began on 4/25/22 & State rested their case on 5/5/22 & defense rested their on 5/5/22.

Court hearings from 10/15/18 thru 4/24/22 & Trial Days 1-8 (4/25 thru 5/4/22) reference post #151 here:
5/5/22 Thursday, Trial Day 9: State witness: State witness: Dr. Marion Forbes from Dell Children's. She is the state's final witness.
State rests their case.
The defense is asking for a directed verdict ruling -- meaning they're asking the judge to rule there's not enough evidence for a jury to reach the conclusion that Chagoya-Williams is guilty. The motion for a directed verdict is denied.
Defense witnesses: Linda Chagoya, Dazrine's mom. Benjamin Holladay, baby Dazrine's adoptive father. Isabelle Del Cueto. Amanda is her mom, Dazrine Chagoya-Williams is her aunt. Trudy Ince, family friend. Tiffany Gallegos, Dazrine's cousin. Randall Padilla, Dazrine's uncle.
The defense rests.
The state could possibly rebuttal tomorrow.
for more info see post #152 here:
Trial continues on 5/6/22.

5/6/22 Friday, Trial Day 10: Even though the State/Chagoya-Williams did not want lesser included offenses, the judge included them. Because the judge kept the lesser included offenses, the jury could find Chagoya-Williams guilty of manslaughter or criminally negligent homicide instead of capital murder. Closing arguments done. Jurors are sent to deliberations. Jury deliberated for ~4 ½ hours.
For more info see post #153 here:
Jury continues deliberations on Monday, 5/9/22.

Verdict reached!!!

Grace Reader
@GraceReaderTV
·
May 6
#Breaking: There is a verdict. Folks coming back to the courtroom.

BREAKING: The jury finds Dazrine Chagoya-Williams guilty of capital murder of a child under 10.

Chagoya-Williams will be sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.

link:

Since I had to sign up to see tweets a while back - I did ask Grace IF Dazrine WAS sentenced or she will be back on another date. So awaiting an answer.

Per this article:

she was sentenced on Friday.

Chagoya-Williams’ trial began on April 25, 2022. She was convicted of capital murder of a child under 10 years of age after the jury’s guilty verdict Friday, May 6, 2022. Bill Henry, the 428th Judicial District Court Judge, sentenced Chagoya-Williams to life in prison without the possibility of parole. The sentence is automatic in a capital murder case as the State of Texas does not seek the death penalty, according to a Hays County news release.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MichelleleighD70
Back