Found Deceased TX - Matthew Meinert, 38, Denton County, 6 March 2017

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
100 grand for the ? i thought they were, maybe not rich, but well off? to me, its too soon and for that amount?

Alligators up in that part of Texas are rare.

maybe not so rare. i live in central texas in the lampasas area and we have a gator or did have one in the lampasas river. dont know how it got there, but several people have seen it.

I have no experience with boats at all, but I can see it being an accident. My only hang up with an accident is the little boy not being found until the next day. I can buy him not being wet or injured, but I can't get past him not being found until the next day. Two year olds wander, but it says he was found near the boat. Some kids are really shy, but if he came to them "with open arms" the following day, I'd think he'd do the same that very night.

Stranger things have happened, so maybe the dad really did fall out of the boat or something. It all just seems off to me. I'm just glad the little boy is safe. If dad disappeared on his own, the things throwing my hinky meter off indicate that he didn't leave the little one out there alone all night, so at least there's that.

maybe not so rare. i live in central texas in the lampasas area and we have a gator or did have one in the lampasas river. dont know how it got there, but several people have seen it.

If you have seen or heard of ONE gator, then that would be considered rare.

Add to the hinky meter the fact that the boy was found the next day in a tee shirt. What happened to his button down plaid shirt that was posted just before they went missing? Also, why were his shoes off?

$100K for a go fund me is an outrage. It's not like the family is traveling back and forth some great distance to help in the search where they would need food and/or temporary housing, etc.

Also, if the boat went up into the tree roots in force, why wasn't Oliver banged up and black and blue or possibly knocked unconscious? He was found the next morning with only a couple of scrapes from the brush.

At two I regularly dressed my son in plaid shirts like that with white undershirts. I'm also curious about the two year salary for most people being the amount. And I believe MM hails from Illinois so it's possible his family is traveling from there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm curious about the account, but believe those kinds of things are very often a reflection on the person who sets up the account, and don't reflect the desires of the recipients. But I don't know in this case.

I don't know what the financial capabilities of the family are, but many families can absorb the cost of traveling across the US to help search for a missing family member without it breaking the bank. Those are the kind of families who might otherwise go on a cruse, or take a trip to Disney. In the case of a family tragedy, they'd have to put that fun money toward a sadder cause.

I'm surprised how many people immediately turn to in any tragedy, such as a death in the family where they have to pay funeral costs. It just seems like if you can pay the costs for a funeral (the way families do manage to pay for extravagant weddings) you should do that and leave for people who truly can't afford to travel.

Anyway, it doesn't seem to be a reflection on the Meinerts so much as a reflection on the very well-meaning friend who wrote the heartwarming summary on . It does put Matthew and his family in a much warmer light than the media or internet sources do.

Prayers he is found alive and well.

I didn't see anything in the message to say what the funds were to be used for. What a racket.

The family is not searching, they are at the water line watching authorities search the water.

What exactly are these funds for, that they need 100K???

It would be different if he was found deceased and they wanted to open up a trust fund for Oliver, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

also, if the boat was running whilst going onto land, there be marks left behind it. thank god that the little boy is ok, but worried about the father. if he is an avid boater, they should have had their life vests on. were the life vests neatly placked or astrewen? maybe they were taken off?

Adults don't usually wear life jackets in my observation. But it's a surprise that the boy's life jacket was found in the boat - and I'm curious if it was found in a way that looks like he wiggled out of it, or was it removed and stashed (or never put on) by an adult.

I didn't see anything in the message to say what the funds were to be used for. What a racket.

The family is not searching, they are at the water line watching authorities search the water.

What exactly are these funds for, that they need 100K???

It would be different if he was found deceased and they wanted to open up a trust fund for Oliver, but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

The account does say "travel and lost wages" and continued search costs. It seems the formal search is completely done now, as the time approaches where if he DID drown, his body will in a couple days be the most visible. I wonder if LE has discovered something that makes them think it's most likely their water searches won't yield the answer.

I think we can lay the alligator theory to rest. Yes, alligators are sometimes found away from coastal areas in Texas but rarely. And often times they get there by human interaction. It is simply not their preferred habitat. There was a man killed by an alligator near the Gulf coast in Orange a couple years back. That was the first Texas alligator fatality in ~200 years. We won't know for sure of course until Meinert surfaces, but the odds of him being killed by an alligator are slim to none.

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/new...-attack-in-Orange-is-first-in-two-6370551.php

I hadn't seen this article before. Apparently the investigation started when another boater found the boat docked on land, discovered the cell phone on board and used it to call the Meinert family about 6 p.m. That explains why the investigation began so quickly.

Also, some have noticed that Matthew is still showing as a current inmate at the Denton County Jail. On social media, I've seen statements that when someone is on work release, they still show that they are booked in even though they are currently away from the jail. Sometimes inmates serve their sentences on weekends only, or on days they don't work, or on another specified calendar schedule.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/dent...ods-second-boater-still-missing-denton-county

Any boaters here? Does that boat look like he pulled it up there on purpose or does it look more like it ran aground? I am baffled that the child had no life jacket on if the boat were moving in the water. Could the kid take it off - is he old enough to unbuckle it? ETA: Sorry I see up above speculation it likely did not run aground due to engine position and no marks.
I'm just getting on this thread and I'm sure this has been answered but I'll share anyway. I and my late husband were avid boaters. We've had every type of boat there is. We have owned a boat exactly like this one, same type, model, color, length, width, etc.
IMO, this boat was intentionally driven up on shore with the motor slightly tilted and then after fully beached, the motor was tilted the rest of the way. No way, no how could he pull or push this size boat that far from the water by just his physical strength. I will even venture that the child was safely taken to shore prior to the boat being beached. The impact of a moving boat striking the shore with enough force to be that far from the water would have caused serious injury to a small child. I know this from personal experience from hitting the beach in same type of boat. JMO.
I worried those unfamiliar would ban me for life, but it really does bring back that feeling of Sherri. And I always, always so deeply care about these people. When SP was missing, every step of every hike I took was kind of a shout out to her. And then WHAM. I feel horribly for the little boy staying out all night and do hope Matthew is safe. But that 100k triggered my hinky jokes. xo

Sent from my HTCD100LVWPP using Tapatalk

The DWI on Feb. 10 is listed as his second DWI in Texas, which is still a misdemeanor charge. The third is a felony.

I also feel he disappeared on purpose - and what would be the charge for leaving a 2 year old unattended at a lake? I would think that would be felony child endangerment.

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the DWI on 5/24/16 is listed as his second, so the one on 2/10/17 would be his third. The first was on 9/27/10

Unless I'm reading it wrong, the DWI on 5/24/16 is listed as his second, so the one on 2/10/17 would be his third. The first was on 9/27/10

3rd DWI and BWI
Offense level: 3rd Degree Felony
Maximum fine: Up to $10,000
Jail Range: 2 to 10 years in Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
License suspension: 180 days to 2 years
http://www.dwi-texas.com/texas-dwi-penalties/

or...
3rd or more DWI and BWI with 1 prior TDCJ penitentiary trip
Punished as a 2nd Degree Felony
Up to $10,000
2 to 20 years in Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
Up to 2 years

3rd or more DWI and BWI with 2 prior TDCJ penitentiary trips
Enhanced Felony Punishment
Up to $10,000
25 years to life in Texas Department of Criminal Justice (TDCJ)
Up to 2 years

That is not including the other offenses, such as driving with a non-restraint child, etc....

If that's accurate, that puts a lot into perspective.

That changes things a bit, doesn't it. Looking at his criminal record, he's constantly in violation. Repeated driving with no valid license (as he did apparently to get to the boat dock), 3 DWIs, poaching, with a pretrial court date coming up April 19. I think it's likely he was facing prison time, not just jail time. It's beginning to be clearer why LE called off the search.

That changes things a bit, doesn't it. Looking at his criminal record, he's constantly in violation. Repeated driving with no valid license (as he did apparently to get to the boat dock), 3 DWIs, poaching, with a pretrial court date coming up April 19. I think it's likely he was facing prison time, not just jail time. It's beginning to be clearer why LE called off the search.

I wonder if someone else drove his truck with the boat?
Also:
I was curious if his son ever asked for his dad or mom besides asking for juice? I read that was the extent of the conversation. Wouldn't a child ask for a parent? Or was the child with someone until he walked up and they found him, so that's why he wanted juice but no other conversation?

IMOO.

Yes that is what I said in the beginning isn't (three strikes and your out ) that's what they say here..Then it's prison time. Why would he endanger his child? He must be narcissistic.

good catch!
lots of people will be very upset if he did plan his disappearance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
n.zajk0wska
Back