Found Alive TX - Melissa Highsmith, 21 mos, Fort Worth, 23 Aug 1971 *found alive in 2022*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I can't imagine leaving my baby with a stranger that act will never cross my mind, but a mother who needs to work, what else could she have done? I hope with all my heart that one day she will appear alive and well ... but I believe that she will never happen ..
wherever you are melissa you are well and happy and if not you are resting in peace and without resentment to your mother.

FORT WORTH, Texas — For his entire life, Jeff Highsmith is constantly reminded of a day that occurred nine years before he was even

It is a mixture of heartbreak and hope passed down from his mother and father.

“Growing up as kids, we always knew about our sister who was kidnapped,” Highsmith said. “My parents scared us to stay close and not run off because we knew our sister was taken away from us.”

That sister, Melissa Highsmith, remains one of the oldest missing persons cases in the country and a mystery Jeff and his family are still trying to answer.
On Aug. 23, 1971, their mother, Alta, advertised for a babysitter and spoke with a supposed sitter by the name of Ruth Johnson, who agreed to come pick up the 21-month-old Melissa from the family’s apartment building on East Seminary in Fort Worth.

Since Alta had to be at work, her roommate handed Melissa to Johnson, who was described as well-dressed and wearing white gloves.

That evening, Johnson never returned Melissa and could not be reached. Fort Worth police and the FBI were soon involved, but more than 50 years later, very few leads have surfaced.
Police at the time said they discovered no evidence Melissa was harmed and hoped Johnson or whoever had the baby was taking good care of her.

Jeff and his family have several theories about what might have happened, including the possibility that Ruth Johnson was actually a man dressed as a woman.

“I pass by Seminary often and every time I do, my mind just races,” Jeff said.

In an interview archived at the SMU Jones Film Library, Alta Highsmith spoke to WFAA in the days following the kidnapping.
“I can’t give up hope. I have got to see her again,” she said. “I don’t know what to think.”

Highsmith was 21 months old on Aug. 23, 1971, when she was abducted by someone claiming to be a babysitter, center spokesperson Patti Davis said. Highsmith and her 22-year-old mother had recently moved to the area. Her mother, recently separated and working as a waitress, placed a newspaper ad for child care.

Investigators say a woman answered the ad and agreed to meet at the restaurant but the woman never showed.

They say the babysitter called the mother later, saying she really wanted the job, had a nice big yard and cared for other children.

Authorities said the mother hired the woman, who picked the child up from the mother’s roommate at their apartment while the mother was at work.

The woman told investigators her roommate said the woman who seemed nice and was dressed to impress, wearing white gloves. But when the babysitter did not return the child, the child’s mother called law enforcement.

The center released a photo of Highsmith as she looked at the time of her abduction and an age-progressed photo showing how she would look today.

Anyone who sees her or thinks they may know where she is should call the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children at 800-THE-LOST.

On Thursday, the NCMEC said it received an anonymous tip that Melissa Highsmith, abducted on August 23, 1971, had been spotted in the area of Daniel Island, by Charleston.

Last edited:
Melissa's brother, Jeff Highsmith, is traveling to South Carolina to distribute fliers in the area where she may have been spotted.

“We understand that the person who provided the tip may have known her,” Highsmith said. “An IP address of the tipster was traced to a government building in Charleston, S.C.”

“Daniel Island is where it was reported that she may have been seen, so we will go door to door and leave the fliers,” Highsmith said.

The Vanished Podcast just released the first of a two part episode about Melissa's disappearance.
This is a MUST listen. So many crazy twists and turns.

On August 18, 1971, a classified ad was published for a single day in the Fort Worth, Texas newspaper, the "Fort Worth Star-Telegram." The ad read, "Babysitter wanted from 8 to 3:30 days, Spanish Gate apartments, call after 3 pm" with a phone number listed. On August 23, 1971, a woman who said her name was Ruth Johnson came to the door of Alta Highsmith, who had placed the ad, and said she was there to pick up Alta's 21-month-old daughter, Melissa Highsmith. Alta's roommate gave the baby to the woman named Ruth, who promised to return her that afternoon. Melissa Highsmith has never been seen again. The story of Melissa's abduction is a tale we will unfold for you with exclusive interviews, new information, and questions that seem as though they should be easy to answer.

If you have any information regarding the disappearance of Melissa Highsmith, please call Sergeant John Phillips with the Fort Worth Police Department at 817-889-0842. If you are unable to reach Sergeant Phillips, you can call the Fort Worth Police Department non-emergency line at 817-392-4200 and ask for Lt. Richard Demore, the supervising officer over the violent crimes unit, where we believe Melissa's case is held.
1668684938156.png1668684947982.png1668684954832.png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back