GUILTY TX - Melissa Sowders, 26, Harris County, 26 December 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Where are they saying the call was recorded? I can't find anything except a deputy was listening...

Well, I think it's plain where the Defense may be going - a self defense claim. GMAB

If it's eventually confirmed that Melissa indeed had been in possession of a firearm when she went to meet her estranged husband at McD's, I'd more inclined to believe that she brought it along for protection, based on the reports from her family members/friends that she was afraid of him.

He's a huge guy. He was obviously able to get close enough to strangle her, which begs the question: why didn't he disarm her, then, when he'd gained physical control of her with his hands around her neck (if strangulation was indeed the cause of death) & IF she had a gun? I'm not buying the "she-pulled-a-gun-on-me-so-I-strangled-her" claim.

Murdering someone by strangulation is up close & personal and is an act of rage.

Exactly. Once he started strangling her she would have dropped the gun. So why continue strangling her? I'm not even buying that she had a gun.

I would be surprised if they offered him a plea deal. He doesn't have anything to bargain with. LE already has two witnesses to testify that he confessed to them, and one of those confessions is on tape! There aren't other victims. They don't need anything from him.

Jinx hambirg! I just posted basically the same thing.

Where are they saying the call was recorded? I can't find anything except a deputy was listening...

You're right TexasCharm, it does say the deputy only listened in. Surely they would have recorded it, RIGHT? Please tell me they recorded it!

RIP Melissa

I feel so bad for her 4 girls, such a shame. :tantrum:

Aaaaarrg... reporter on video says "recorded and turned over to police" ... the article says the cal, was made with a "deputy on the other line" ...

which is it? the devil is in the details ...

Could be both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

"She said that the defendant told her he had strangled Melissa to death after she pulled a gun on him. He told her he blacked out. When he came to, she was dead. He said he stuffed her into a large black trash can and transported her to Cypress Creek. And there he submerged her body," the prosecutor said.

Sowders' sister, Amber Newsom, believes Matt killed Melissa after seeing a photo of her ultrasound on her cell phone. The victim was two months pregnant with her current boyfriend’s child. Matt Sowder also became angry about photos of her in lingerie, according to Newsom.

http://www.khou.com/news/local/matt...lowing-arrest-for-wifes-murder-238591591.html

There's his defense, heat of passion. It will be interesting to see if the DA will try and prove premeditation. I smell a plea deal.

In mo, even though Sowders’ sister believes Matt killed Melissa after he viewed her cell phone, how would she know unless she was there? If Melissa didn’t want Matt to know she was pregnant, I doubt she would give him her cell phone.

It sounds like Matt lied to his lawyer.
“”His attorney tells 11 News he is shocked by the allegations.””

Did you all listen to the video at the link?!!! Melissa's sister gives specific details!!
http://www.khou.com/news/local/matt...lowing-arrest-for-wifes-murder-238591591.html

-Melissa got in Matt's car and went with him to his apartment to play with their 18/mo.
-Matt looked at Melissa's phone, saw pregnancy test info and lingerie photos.
-Matt snapped, he strangled Melissa in from of their baby girl.
-He took the baby "home" (to his parents), came back and put Melissa's body in a trash can, put clothes on top of her, then threw it in the creek.
-The trash can floated to the top, he jumped in, shoved it in a hole and left.

KHOU will be airing an interview with the woman who recorded the phone call with Matt. Coming up at 5-

Aaaaarrg... reporter on video says "recorded and turned over to police" ... the article says the cal, was made with a "deputy on the other line" ...

which is it? the devil is in the details ...

I noticed that discrepancy, as well. In the video, the reporter said the confession phone call was recorded, but in the article it said the witness called Matt Sowders with a deputy on the line. When I watched the raw video of the hearing, I didn't hear the prosecutor mention the phone call having been recorded. If he did, I missed it. Did the reporter in the video misinterpret the information that came out in court during the hearing? IDK

I hope the phone call was recorded, otherwise the Defense can attempt to refute the alleged confession, even with witnesses who will testify to having heard him confess. Without direct evidence (such as a recording) a good defense attorney could try to spin it into a he said-she said debacle.

Some juries these days seem to need irrefutable evidence - especially in capital murder cases.

I'm choosing (perhaps erroneously) to believe the conversation was recorded, since that would have been the whole point of the phone call. It was, for all intents & purposes, a "sting" phone call in an attempt to gather incriminating evidence against the perp.

Based on how this case has unfolded & the currently available information, I believe they have their man. Nevertheless (as those of us who have followed cases over the years know), it's paramount to have solid evidence to secure a successful prosecution.

How could it be heat of passion. He said she pulled a gun on him so he strangled her.

There's his defense, heat of passion. It will be interesting to see if the DA will try and prove premeditation. I smell a plea deal.

To me, it sounds like he's trying to claim self-defense by alleging that Melissa pulled a gun on him.

If the phone call confession wasn't recorded, I smell a plea deal, as well.

In mo, even though Sowders’ sister believes Matt killed Melissa after he viewed her cell phone, how would she know unless she was there? If Melissa didn’t want Matt to know she was pregnant, I doubt she would give him her cell phone.

It sounds like Matt lied to his lawyer.
“”His attorney tells 11 News he is shocked by the allegations.””

Maybe MS revealed all the details in the recorded phone convo he had with his friend? I'm guessing the police coached her on what to ask him.

About MS getting Melissa's phone, MS could have taken her phone into a bathroom and locked the door (I had a jealous ex that did that).

To me, it sounds like he's trying to claim self-defense by alleging that Melissa pulled a gun on him.

If the phone call confession wasn't recorded, I smell a plea deal, as well.

There's just no way it wasn't recorded. We stopped using dixie cups and string for communication here in Texas several years ago. :giggle:

How could it be heat of passion. He said she pulled a gun on him so he strangled her.

He sure does remember a lot for someone who was "blacked out."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ery810
Back