GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #10

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I think it’s unlikely that KA will succeed in having her conviction overturned based on the information provided in the recent filing.

1. Even if she were pregnant at the time of her arrest (and I don’t believe that she was), what relevance does that have on anything?
2. The fact that her attorneys failed to call various character witnesses during the punishment phase has no bearing on her guilt or innocence.

I think it’s unlikely that KA will succeed in having her conviction overturned based on the information provided in the recent filing.

1. Even if she were pregnant at the time of her arrest (and I don’t believe that she was), what relevance does that have on anything?
2. The fact that her attorneys failed to call various character witnesses during the punishment phase has no bearing on her guilt or innocence.

Agree. An experienced attorney would know that but it doesn’t prevent them from throwing something out there to try again.

An attorney friend of mine said that its not uncommon in high profile cases.

Agreed. I wanted justice for Mo and thought from the beginning that her murder was horrific and unjustified on any level.

But I, too, was puzzled by Cofer’s bored and apathetic stance towards his client.

And no sooner was she sentenced to 90 years, then he quickly sent notice that he was removing himself at once from the case. It’s strange, to say the least. I almost thought to myself, did they have an affair that went bad or something?
JMO. I thought maybe she refused to participate in her own defense. She seemed determined to make CS sorry for what he did no matter what. Mo is dead and she is in prison for life ALL THANKS TO HIM!! LOOK WHAT YOU DID TO ME. I‘M NOT GOING TO BE IGNORED DAN!1 **Bunny dies**

But reality set in when he is moving on with his life and she is stuck in prison for life. So now she is waking up.

JMO. I thought maybe she refused to participate in her own defense.

<snipped for focus>

What defense? Her attorney didn't seem to have one, didn't look like he spent much time preparing. I think she had long figured out that he wasn't going to give her adequate representation, but she didn't know what to do, and he probably kept reassuring her that he was preparing, etc. As I said above, he seemed to enjoy the notoriety when he first began to represent her, but that faded when he was out of the spotlight. As they say in Texas, all hat, no cattle.

Makes no sense to me, and does not seem fair for MW's family. Is it justice for them to go through another trial? KA took the life of their daughter, sister - they no longer have Moriah and KA is crying that she was pregnant? Too bad, imo.

So now there are two pregnancies? Hoping judge will deny any and all motions by the defense.

moo

According to a report from our partners at the Austin American-Statesman, the motion for the new trial was filed on Dec. 15, The motion states that evidence showed a prosecution witness wasn't properly qualified to say how Armstrong's DNA showed up on Wilson's bicycle, and that a new trial should also be granted because a judge denied a prior motion by the defense to stifle her statements when she was initially questioned by police.

The motion also claims that Armstrong was pregnant at the time of her arrest, as well as stating that she had also been pregnant at an additional time. It doesn't clarify what happened with either of her pregnancies.

The full report from the Austin American-Statesman can be read here.

Updated: 11:12 PM CST December 29, 2023

Strictly my opinion. - I suspect they might say that KA was pregnant by CS in October-November and that, in effect, was the reason for them "taking a break" from the relationship. Which, IMHO, can be true.

They will probably say that KA was pregnant in May 2022 and then she lost the pregnancy in CR. Which I suspect is not true; on the other hand, one never knows with KA.

Mentioning two pregnancies is senseless unless they want to tie it all up in one emotional bundle.

Austin is a more liberal city, but TX is a conservative state. This is why the first lawyer decided not to mention the pregnancies during the trial. Who can predict how individual jurors may interpret it? More questions, all in all, it can alienate the jurors even more.

MOO - KA knew the unpleasant traits of her ex, CS, and her attorney expected that she would be viewed more sympathetically, as the victim of CS's misogyny. It didn't work.

Now it is an appeal, and KS can't lose more than what she's already lost, so they decided to risk it. Plus, one can always hope for more sympathetic jurors. And, this time, she has a female lawyer.

Agreed. I wanted justice for Mo and thought from the beginning that her murder was horrific and unjustified on any level.

But I, too, was puzzled by Cofer’s bored and apathetic stance towards his client.

And no sooner was she sentenced to 90 years, then he quickly sent notice that he was removing himself at once from the case. It’s strange, to say the least. I almost thought to myself, did they have an affair that went bad or something?

Lots of things happened that reflected on KA negatively. I wonder if a lawyer can feel the general attitude of the jury? During the trial, KA dressed conservatively, almost severely, no makeup, either. I wonder if this time a more female angle will be explored. The facts speak against KA, so this time they'll lean on emotional approach.

I think the strongest argument they have pertains to the State's DNA rebuttal witness. I'm not sure it's strong enough to yield a new trial though.

I think the strongest argument they have pertains to the State's DNA rebuttal witness. I'm not sure it's strong enough to yield a new trial though.

I agree that is probably the strongest argument they have, and I think its strength will depend on a few key factors.

As trial judges are the gatekeepers of expert testimony and decide if an expert is reliable and relevant, can KA prove the judge erred in allowing the witness to testify about the DNA? Did the expert commit perjury? Can KA prove the State knowingly provided false testimony or misleading data? How much did the rebuttal testimony influence the final verdict? If the rebuttal witness hadn't been called, what is the likelihood that the verdict would be different?

My brother used to work as an appellate attorney for the Attorney General's office. I'll ask him for his opinion on this, but I don't think their arguments are strong enough for a retrial. For better or for worse, convictions are notoriously difficult to overturn.

Probably won't be much new to those who have followed the case, but Mo will be tonight's 20/20 episode. Says KA's dad will speak FWIW.

Thank you! I have it on now and am glad I'm watching. They have some crime scene photos that I haven't seen before, they showed where the bike was dumped (the bamboo grove has since been cut away) and they did a nice map overview showing all the cameras in relation to the apartment.

As an aside, I had no idea Det. Spitler was so young.

Thank you! I have it on now and am glad I'm watching. They have some crime scene photos that I haven't seen before, they showed where the bike was dumped (the bamboo grove has since been cut away) and they did a nice map overview showing all the cameras in relation to the apartment.

As an aside, I had no idea Det. Spitler was so young.
Same!

I have seen some footage of Moriah I haven’t seen before. Still pictures don’t even capture the extent of her natural beauty. She was SO charming and charismatic. So tragic her life was stolen!

Can’t help it, but KA was pretty too — and had so much to live for. Just keep asking myself WHY?! WHY didn’t she choose another way to deal with her emotional pain!

Same!

I have seen some footage of Moriah I haven’t seen before. Still pictures don’t even capture the extent of her natural beauty. She was SO charming and charismatic. So tragic her life was stolen!

Can’t help it, but KA was pretty too — and had so much to live for. Just keep asking myself WHY?! WHY didn’t she choose another way to deal with her emotional pain!
BBM
I wonder if she is thinking that these days. Or is she still convinced she was justified.

I also just watched the 20/20 expose on this case, but had not followed it earlier or when it unfolded.
From the recap, let me see if I have this right: just before leaving the US for CR, KA reaches out to her sister and travels to meet her at the sister’s residence? And then KA travels to CR and it is eventually discovered she is traveling on her sister’s passport? And the sister apparently states that she is NOT aware of how she got her passport? Oooookkkkk. Riiiiiight…..
That is difficult to believe. Sounds like aiding and abetting, and/or harboring a fugitive? And should be prosecuted. As should KA attempts to flee or escape. But at least if she makes an appeal, seems bail would be unlikely as a flight risk.
No thoughts on the pregnancy, other than for some reason I am reminded of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. MOO

From the recap, let me see if I have this right: just before leaving the US for CR, KA reaches out to her sister and travels to meet her at the sister’s residence? And then KA travels to CR and it is eventually discovered she is traveling on her sister’s passport? And the sister apparently states that she is NOT aware of how she got her passport? Oooookkkkk. Riiiiiight…..
That is difficult to believe. Sounds like aiding and abetting, and/or harboring a fugitive? And should be prosecuted.

The sister was living at a retreat-type place in upstate NY, about 2.5 hrs from Manhattan. We don't know how KA got up there (or back down to NJ to fly to Costa Rica) but she stayed there for a bit (according to a witness who saw her there and spoke to media afterwards, it was "right before the whole thing blew up"). The arrest warrant for KA was issued on the night of May 17, 2022 and she flew to Costa Rica than 24 hours later.

While her sister was on the stand, she denied giving the passport to KA, eventually conceding that KA must have taken it. Earlier in the trial, we learned that when police searched KA/her boyfriend's house in Austin right after the murder, they saw a passport card belonging to KA's sister.

Links:

I also just watched the 20/20 expose on this case, but had not followed it earlier or when it unfolded.
That is difficult to believe. Sounds like aiding and abetting, and/or harboring a fugitive? And should be prosecuted. As should KA attempts to flee or escape. But at least if she makes an appeal, seems bail would be unlikely as a flight risk.
No thoughts on the pregnancy, other than for some reason I am reminded of Elizabeth Holmes and Theranos. MOO
I don't know if KA's sister is lying about the passport, but I don't necessarily find the story so difficult to believe. My passport is in a desk drawer. A family member with access to my home could easily take it and I would be none the wiser until the next time I needed it.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back