TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #7

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
@alcaprari23

Next witness: Nicole Mertz, lives in Austin. First met Kaitlin Armstrong in 2019 shortly after she moved to #ATX. Mertz is a former professional cyclist.Kaitlin was one of her best friends in Austin. They became close in 2020. They would see each other typically every day.

3:52 PM · Nov 8, 2023

This morning we looked at Kaitlin Armstrong's search history from Costa Rica, which included plastic surgery and instructions for burning off fingerprints.The defense motioned for a mistrial which the judge denied.Live tweets continue below.

Detective Spitler is still on the stand. He is taking about his interview with Strickland. He says that he was initially suspicious of Strickland but it became clear to him that it fit the profile of a witness, not a suspect.

Spitler recounting all the data from Strickland's phone that helps prove his innocence: his cell phone data, his cell phone location, the fact that Strickland was talking to a friend on the phone at the time Mo Wilson was murdered. Spitler says he is "very comfortable" with this digital evidence and it is not tunnel vision or confirmation bias.

Defense redirect: No hard evidence? No eye witnesses? No, Spitler agrees.
No Armstrong fingerprints at the scene of the murder? No, Spitler agrees.

Q: "If Colin Strickland's DNA had come back on the rape kit, would that change your analysis of this case?"A: "We could play what-ifs all day... that was never any evidence that was there and I have no reason to believe that either of them had sexual intercourse that evening... there is no evidence to suggest that he would have committed a sexual offence in the time that she unlocked the door and his motorcycle is seen driving down the alley…”

Defense is entering the vandalism incident report that was the center of the mistrial motion earlier this afternoon. It has a summary of the incident, contact info for Strickland, vehicle information and damage sustained, a narrative, investigative detectives.

The author of the report is Spitler. But he says he is not responsible for investigating it. Spitler says it does not appear any APD officers took any action related to the vandalism.

Spitler admits that he did not take any action between when Strickland first reported the vandalism to him to the request for an arrest warrant for Kaitlin Armstrong.No further questions. Witness dismissed.

@alcaprari23

Mertz says she knew Strickland pretty well. She was closer to Armstrong. Mertz says she didn't know Mo Wilson, but was familiar with her given her profession.Mertz says Strickland and Armstrong loved each other and worked well together, but it was "always off and on." They never referred to each other as boyfriend/girlfriend, Mertz says.

3:54 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

The author of the report is Spitler. But he says he is not responsible for investigating it. Spitler says it does not appear any APD officers took any action related to the vandalism.

3:47 PM · Nov 8, 2023
Sadly, this is the norm in Austin. If your house is broken into, your car stolen, vandalism etc APD does not usually respond. You are just told to go online and fill out a report.

@alcaprari23

Mertz says she and Armstrong stayed with Strickland following the Texas ice storm in 2021. Mertz left after one night, Armstrong never moved out.Strickland would refer to Armstrong as his "lady friend." She called their relationship "casual, but not casual."

3:55 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Mertz says she knows Armstrong was logged into Colin's iCloud. She knew she had access to his bank accounts and emails. She knew she sent emails from Colin's account for his business. Mertz says she watched her on a laptop access his accounts.

3:56 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Next witness: Nicole Mertz, lives in Austin. First met Kaitlin Armstrong in 2019 shortly after she moved to #ATX. Mertz is a former professional cyclist.Kaitlin was one of her best friends in Austin. They became close in 2020. They would see each other typically every day.

3:52 PM · Nov 8, 2023
I think this is one of the people who KA told that she wanted to kill Mo. JMO

@alcaprari23

Mertz says Armstrong told her in Oct. 2021 that "they were breaking up for good but they would be in business together and would still be very close and would be in each other's lives."In Nov. 2021, Mertz recounts a big group at the Meteor. Armstrong was quiet, which was not like her. Armstrong told her that Mo was in town with Strickland and she was upset. Colin had brought her to Justine's the night before, which she knew from an email Colin received from OpenTable.Mo walked into the Meteor, but left pretty quickly. Armstrong saw Mo walk in. Armstrong told Mertz that Mo was there. When she told Mertz, "she was pretty angry. Visibly angry. I had never seen her like that before, which is why I remembered it."

3:58 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Sadly, this is the norm in Austin. If your house is broken into, your car stolen, vandalism etc APD does not usually respond. You are just told to go online and fill out a report.
That is getting to be the norm in very many cities. Police Departments are almost always understaffed now. Very few people want to risk their lives protecting a growingly unappreciative population. JMO

@alcaprari23

Mertz recalls asking Armstrong what she would do if Colin ever dated someone else. "[Armstrong] said she would kill her," Mertz testifies. #KaitlinArmstrong

3:59 PM · Nov 8, 2023

Mertz says she remembers Armstrong telling her that she had called Mo earlier that day. Armstrong told Mo that she and Strickland were living together and in business together," Mertz says.

4:00 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Mertz recalls finding out about Mo Wilson's death in a news article."My first thought was that Kaitlin might have had something to do with it." She and Armstrong were still friends. About 2-3 days later, Mertz called the police and shared she had information they should know.

4:04 PM · Nov 8, 2023

@alcaprari23

Mertz recalls finding out about Mo Wilson's death in a news article."My first thought was that Kaitlin might have had something to do with it." She and Armstrong were still friends. About 2-3 days later, Mertz called the police and shared she had information they should know.

4:04 PM · Nov 8, 2023
Good on NM for calling KA in. Speaks volumes to her character.
moo

@alcaprari23

Upon noticing IG had been deleted: "It just made me think that she had something to do with it even more."Mertz spoke to Armstrong's sister, who told her that Kaitlin was safe.Q: "Why did you reach out to the police?"A: "I just kind of had a feeling. I remembered that comment that she made and I knew that she was not happy with Colin and Moriah hanging out. I just had a feeling and thought that was the right thing to do."

4:07 PM · Nov 8, 2023

IMO the defense is doing as much as they can but there’s not really any “there” there. The surveillance cam footage of CS motorcycle, his cell phone tracking, etc totally do not fit the timing if he was the shooter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NarratrixofNightmares