GUILTY TX - Moriah Wilson, 25, Cyclist Fatally Shot Before Race, Austin, 2022 *arrest* #9

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm a Travis County taxpayer. From a practical point of view, Travis County has already spent plenty on her successful prosecution. No reason to spend more money on hearings and a trial since she's already sentenced to prison for another crime.
I agree, except that she’s eligible for parole in 30 years, and convicting her for the escape attempt might keep her locked away longer.

I agree, except that she’s eligible for parole in 30 years, and convicting her for the escape attempt might keep her locked away longer.
Was it dismissed without prejudice? Withdrawn? Could she, technically, be tried thirty years from now?

She's likely to spend her next thirty years plotting her next act of revenge.

She's cold.

JMO

Was it dismissed without prejudice? Withdrawn? Could she, technically, be tried thirty years from now?

She's likely to spend her next thirty years plotting her next act of revenge.

She's cold.

JMO
In Texas the statue of limitations for felony escape is 3 years. She would have to be tried within that time period.

She's not going to be out in 30 years. She's not going to make parole her first time and probably not even her second or third time. She is where she belongs...behind bars and away from the rest of us. moo

@CoffindafferFBI

#KaitlinArmstrong won't be standing trial for her attempted escape. She has been sentenced to life and quite frankly, the details of the escape would have been very embarrassing. Hopefully, they have made appropriate changes to prevent future escapes.

2:21 PM · Dec 1, 2023

View attachment 465210

Embarrassing for who? Are they worried about embarrassing her? It’s not more embarrassing than hunting down and killing a woman that she thought was going to get in the way of her love life.

We know that a court appointed lawyer was responsible for negotiating the dismissal here. And same with the filing the notice of appeal since R Coffer couldn't distance himself fast enough from KA -- filed his notice to withdraw before 3pm on sentencing day! I wonder if KA's escape attempt on 10/11 affected the relationship -- somewhat unusual for your trial attorney to drop you and your case before Noticing the Court of client's intent to appeal (automatic).
JMO

KA was ill-served with RC as her attorney. I think it's possible that she tried to escape just before the trial because she had lost faith in her attorney and any hope of being well-represented by him. I do hope she appeals. I think she would have done better with a female attorney, and also an attorney who cared about her and wanted to give her the best defense possible. That didn't happen with Coffer. I think she would have been found guilty, no matter who represented her, but I don't think she would have received the 90 year sentence if she had decent legal representation. I hope that she gets a chance to appeal her sentence, whatever the grounds are that would apply. I think Coffer took the case early on when he was able to get publicity and notoriety, but then didn't give KA's case the time and attention it needed to reach a better outcome.

KA was ill-served with RC as her attorney. I think it's possible that she tried to escape just before the trial because she had lost faith in her attorney and any hope of being well-represented by him. I do hope she appeals. I think she would have done better with a female attorney, and also an attorney who cared about her and wanted to give her the best defense possible. That didn't happen with Coffer. I think she would have been found guilty, no matter who represented her, but I don't think she would have received the 90 year sentence if she had decent legal representation. I hope that she gets a chance to appeal her sentence, whatever the grounds are that would apply. I think Coffer took the case early on when he was able to get publicity and notoriety, but then didn't give KA's case the time and attention it needed to reach a better outcome.
Do we have confirmation that RC had negotiated a plea deal that KA turned down? If true, responsibility for the 90 year sentence falls right upon KA.

I hope that she gets a chance to appeal her sentence, whatever the grounds are that would apply. I think Coffer took the case early on when he was able to get publicity and notoriety, but then didn't give KA's case the time and attention it needed to reach a better outcome.

She deserved a fair trial but not the "best" representation possible. Do you think every defendant who doesn't get "the best" attorney has grounds to appeal?

"To reach a better outcome" for the defendant isn't the goal of our justice system. She received the sentence she received because she earned it, with her choices. No one else holds the blame for her planning that cruel murder, least of all her attorney.
IMO.

She received the sentence she received because she earned it, with her choices.
The evidence was brutally damning. GPS tracking KA's stalking, screams, shots fired, Cash coming home and finding her friend barely clinging to life. KA's DNA found on MW's bike.
Even the finest defense attorney couldn't put lipstick on that pig.

Right? And why should anyone who hunts down and kills someone, for absolutely no good reason at all, get to walk free someday? If you care about your freedom, maybe just decide to live and let live, even if you're hurting. Or choose to practice peaceful communication.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member