TX - Nichol Olsen, 37, & her 2 daughters found shot dead inside mansion, Bexar County, 10 Jan 2019

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Also, IMO, when NO was discovered, I assume the weapon was nearby, LE/ME knows the caliber weapon used for four shots. They know how much ammo was used in the found weapon, etc.
MOO......cut/dry.
They certainly didn’t whisk CW away in cuffs.
RSABBM for focus

“Salazar was unable to say who owned the handgun found near Olsen’s body. ‘There’s a common misconception - people say ‘Who was it registered to?’ In Texas, we don’t register guns,’ he said.” (BBM)
Sheriff says boyfriend of woman in San Antonio triple shooting is ‘person of interest,’ but not a suspect

That would definitely be an indication that Nichol shot herself, IMO. But surely, the fact that the gun was found in close proximity to Nichol’s body alone cannot be the only thing her manner of death is based on, IMO.

So what else lead the ME to conclude that Nichol committed suicide?

“Speaking to DailyMail.com this weekend in a wide-ranging interview, he said: ‘This case is far from over....

[SBM]

The medical examiner's office has not released any records to support its finding.

Sheriff Salazar has not seen a piece of paper yet that states more than cause or manner of death and the lack of narrative which could explain such a theory is proving frustrating.

[SBM]”
'This case is far from over': Why Texas cops are unconvinced Texas mom killed herself | Daily Mail Online

“Wheeler has cooperated fully with the investigation since the day of the shootings and willingly submitted to tests scanning his hands for any traces of gunshot residue, the sheriff said. Those test results are still pending.

[SBM]

Olsen’s hands also were tested for any traces of gunshot residue, Salazar said. Investigators haven’t yet received those test results.

There were no signs that anyone had forced their way inside the residence, the sheriff said.

Investigators haven’t determined the exact time of the shootings, but believe they occurred between 10 p.m. on Jan. 9 and 9 a.m. on Jan. 10.

[SBM]

In addition to the gunshot residue tests, investigators are still waiting on the results of ballistics tests, DNA tests, toxicology reports, cell phone records, data from cell phone towers showing the whereabouts of people’s cell phones and GPS records showing vehicles’ locations.
(BBM)
Sheriff says boyfriend of woman in San Antonio triple shooting is ‘person of interest,’ but not a suspect

Gotta go soon, but found an interesting article
[WARNING: Autopsy photos included]:
“The investigating officers and relatives were not satisfied as to the manner of death being suicide since the deceased was known for being someone living his life lavishly and happily and the way many people would dream to live. The autopsy finding and circumstantial evidences however were in contrast to his personal history provided. It was later during the course of investigation and interrogation that he was allegedly known to have some episodes of psychiatric bipolar disorder in the past. On detailed interrogation and examination of the scene a surprising story was revealed.”
http://medind.nic.in/jbc/t13/i1/jbct13i1p30.pdf

One thing I find curious is that there are multiple accounts of family and friends coming forward to media saying they don’t believe she would hurt herself or her girls, etc....

But I haven’t seen the first comment from anyone, anywhere supporting CW, saying he loved and adored her and would never hurt her, that he’s a great guy, etc. His very, very high dollar attorney has made positive-sounding statements I guess (my client is innocent sort of things), but no friends or neighbors or family or college roommate or anything? Nothing? It seems... strange.

I didn't want this to be lost in the thread. This is a good point!!!!! Anyone coming out to defend the character of CW?

I didn't want this to be lost in the thread. This is a good point!!!!! Anyone coming out to defend the character of CW?

What bearing would that have on anything? Who would it serve, in a substantive manner?

Three people are dead, two of them minors. People are grieving.

Getting involved in a media circus may serve the voyeuristic needs of some, but staying quiet is always entirely defensible. Many would say it is the preferred and dignified course of action.

If he was your friend would you run to the media or remain quiet?

What bearing would that have on anything? Who would it serve, in a substantive manner?

Getting involved in a media circus may serve the voyeuristic needs of some, but staying quiet is always entirely defensible. Many would say it is the preferred and dignified course of action.

You are right. The smartest thing would be to let your lawyer do the talking for you. In this circumstance, friends trying to defend, etc would more likely hurt your case (possible slip up or something taken out of context) than to help it.

Very true. Social media trolls would like nothing better than to have one of his friends speak out. There is no reason for any of them to speak out because he hasn't done anything wrong.

Can anyone supply a link to MSM article or LE statement that references the younger child being shot twice? I can’t find it and my memories are of wording more like, “gunshot to the head and injury to the neck.” Something which could be interpreted as two shots or one. I am wondering if perhaps the gunshot was fired from above and resulted in an exit wound in the neck or even if the neck injury could be from strangulation, etc. I see discussions of four shots and four bullets, but cannot find info that it’s really what happened. I’ll keep looking too.

This is a good point!!!!! Anyone coming out to defend the character of CW?

Defending someone publicly is not a good point. Allowing the investigation to proceed without interference by anyone including the family/friends of CW is probably appreciated by the authorities.

Social Media Sleuthing Can Have a Serious Effect on Criminal Investigations

On September 12, 19-year-old Kenneka Jenkins was found dead in a walk-in hotel freezer in Rosemont, Illinois, where she had been at a party. Nearly one month after the fact, the Cook County medical examiner ruled her death an accident, despite thousands of social media users insisting otherwise.

Meanwhile, the police were conducting their own investigation under the watchful eye of the media, protesters, and social media — the latter of which they weren’t pleased about. In mid-September, Rosemont mayor Bradley Stephens said that the online activity and speculation was “convoluting the investigation,” according to the Chicago Tribune.

One thing I find curious is that there are multiple accounts of family and friends coming forward to media saying they don’t believe she would hurt herself or her girls, etc....

But I haven’t seen the first comment from anyone, anywhere supporting CW, saying he loved and adored her and would never hurt her, that he’s a great guy, etc. His very, very high dollar attorney has made positive-sounding statements I guess (my client is innocent sort of things), but no friends or neighbors or family or college roommate or anything? Nothing? It seems... strange.

I do not believe it was lost at all; several people responded to it. o_O

Welcome to Websleuths! :) According to the SM rules, it’s OK to post a link to her twitter and other SM accounts. She is a victim.

Good question. I haven’t looked at her twitter, but maybe a former boyfriend? Obviously he was someone who had been close to her, based on all the photos together.
Boyfriend at a younger age perhaps junior high

That doesn't make much sense to me. What is a case of public opinion? Like condemning a person without evidence?
Sorry, I didn't type what I intended. I meant his case in the court of public opinion. It's a saying.

So, the OP that you quoted said that CW having friends speak out on his behalf would not help his case. You asked 'what case.' I meant to reply, I thought OP was referring to CW's case in the court of public opinion.

Sorry, I didn't type what I intended. I meant his case in the court of public opinion. It's a saying.

So, the OP that you quoted said that CW having friends speak out on his behalf would not help his case. You asked 'what case.' I meant to reply, I thought OP was referring to CW's case in the court of public opinion.
Yeah, I think some of NO's friends and family are trying to bring a case against CW in the court of public opinion. I'm guessing they're motivated by grief.

Jmo this sheriff is an idiot. Or at least, behaving like one. He must have a boss, who should yank him away from microphones. If this was a murder/suicide, as the coroner has said, he has completely muddied the waters to almost ensure that no one will believe it. It is incredibly unfair to the boyfriend, imo, if this turns out to be the case. Jmo he will never be cleared.

Jmo this sheriff is an idiot. Or at least, behaving like one. He must have a boss, who should yank him away from microphones. If this was a murder/suicide, as the coroner has said, he has completely muddied the waters to almost ensure that no one will believe it. It is incredibly unfair to the boyfriend, imo, if this turns out to be the case. Jmo he will never be cleared.
I agree completely!! While I respect that he says the coroner's report is only a piece of the puzzle (my wording, not a quote), and appreciate that he plans to investigate all aspects of the situation/case, I think he needs to stop talking and just investigate.

Well he's being disingenuous. The majority of suicides do not leave notes, nor are there typically witnesses. And he sure as heck doesn't investigate every suicide like this. (I would bet good money that he has never spent this amount of time, money, and resources on any suicide investigation.)

If he has evidence that contradicts suicide, he has been negligent withholding that from the ME.

If he has no such evidence, he is doing a disservice to the family and friends, CW, and the taxpayers that are funding his photo ops.

<modsnip - politicizing>

RSABBM for focus

“Salazar was unable to say who owned the handgun found near Olsen’s body. ‘There’s a common misconception - people say ‘Who was it registered to?’ In Texas, we don’t register guns,’ he said.” (BBM)

That would definitely be an indication that Nichol shot herself, IMO. But surely, the fact that the gun was found in close proximity to Nichol’s body alone cannot be the only thing her manner of death is based on, IMO.

So what else lead the ME to conclude that Nichol committed suicide?

“Speaking to DailyMail.com this weekend in a wide-ranging interview, he said: ‘This case is far from over....

[SBM]

The medical examiner's office has not released any records to support its finding.

Sheriff Salazar has not seen a piece of paper yet that states more than cause or manner of death and the lack of narrative which could explain such a theory is proving frustrating.

[SBM]”
'This case is far from over': Why Texas cops are unconvinced Texas mom killed herself | Daily Mail Online

“Wheeler has cooperated fully with the investigation since the day of the shootings and willingly submitted to tests scanning his hands for any traces of gunshot residue, the sheriff said. Those test results are still pending.

[SBM]

Olsen’s hands also were tested for any traces of gunshot residue, Salazar said. Investigators haven’t yet received those test results.

There were no signs that anyone had forced their way inside the residence, the sheriff said.

Investigators haven’t determined the exact time of the shootings, but believe they occurred between 10 p.m. on Jan. 9 and 9 a.m. on Jan. 10.

[SBM]

In addition to the gunshot residue tests, investigators are still waiting on the results of ballistics tests, DNA tests, toxicology reports, cell phone records, data from cell phone towers showing the whereabouts of people’s cell phones and GPS records showing vehicles’ locations.
(BBM)

Gotta go soon, but found an interesting article
[WARNING: Autopsy photos included]:
“The investigating officers and relatives were not satisfied as to the manner of death being suicide since the deceased was known for being someone living his life lavishly and happily and the way many people would dream to live. The autopsy finding and circumstantial evidences however were in contrast to his personal history provided. It was later during the course of investigation and interrogation that he was allegedly known to have some episodes of psychiatric bipolar disorder in the past. On detailed interrogation and examination of the scene a surprising story was revealed.”
http://medind.nic.in/jbc/t13/i1/jbct13i1p30.pdf

Jumping off of these posts, in this interview with the Daily Mail, the sheriff states:

"the medical examiner believes it’s a suicide based on what they saw. They have a more limited evidence bank to pick from.

'I have forensics and the crime scene and witness interviews and phone records and everything. "

And from "inmyhumbleopinion"s post there's this quote regarding the ME:

"The medical examiner's office has not released any records to support its finding.

Sheriff Salazar has not seen a piece of paper yet that states more than cause or manner of death and the lack of narrative which could explain such a theory is proving frustrating."

Is it just me, or does the sheriff seem to be blatantly attempting to downplay the responsibility of the medical examiner and also, IMO, come off as just disrespectful, as if the ME lacks credibility?

For reference (BBM):
Bexar County - Medical Examiner

...As an impartial, independent agency, the Medical Examiner strives to serve the public, medical professionals and justice system of our community by providing objective, valid and unbiased medical opinions on cause and manner of death....

Under Texas state law, the Medical Examiners investigate deaths in Bexar County that are due to trauma or injury, intoxication, foul play, undetermined causes, or sudden and unexpected natural disease. This investigation may take many forms, but often involves an autopsy examination of the deceased person. It also involves investigation of the death scene, medical records, and other facets of the decedent's life and death, and usually includes an analysis of blood and other body fluids in our Toxicology Laboratory to detect drugs, alcohol, or other foreign substances.

ALSO

Below is an interesting informational read as well about the role and responsibilities if the ME, even the comments at bottom. (Particularly this closing comment: "the value of the Coroner/ME's office is clear. We as a society would not want the police/sheriff's office--agencies that have the authority to use force--to also have a monopoly on the investigation of deaths. Indeed, giving the Coroner/ME final authority on death pronouncement and COD/MOD determination is a significant separation of powers.... "

7 Common Mistakes Regarding Autopsy Reports

I don’t believe this article has been posted yet (if it has, my apologies in advance):

“New insight into deaths of mother, daughters”

“St. Mary's University Associate Professor of Criminal Justice Milo Colton said this is a tricky case.

[SBM]

‘It's hard to wrap your head around how a parent could take the life of one their children,’ he said. ‘It is horrifying.’

Colton said the profile for most murder-suicides involves a male as the culprit, and in most cases domestic violence is at the root of the issue. He added the medical examiner's conclusion is right the majority of the time.

‘There are some instances where they came to a decision too quickly,’ he said. ‘San Antonio, though, has a pretty good record.’

Olsen's boyfriend found the bodies. According to Salazar, he is cooperating with investigators and at this time he is a person of interest.

[SBM]

‘I am sure they are checking his [CW’s] story, probably going to make him submit to a polygraph, checking the pings on the cellphone,’ Colton said.

[SBM]

Colton told KENS 5 that research shows a dozen murder-suicides happen every week in the U.S. In regards to this investigation, the Bexar County Sheriff's Office said Thursday there has been no update.“ (BBM)
New insight into deaths of mother, daughters

That’s about 25 murder-suicides a month. I had no idea.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member