GUILTY TX - Phanta 'Jack' Phoummarath, 18, dies of alcohol poisoning, Austin, 10 Dec 2005

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amraann said:
LMAO!!!! That is exactly what I was referring to.
And maybe you did him a favor?? Maybe he was more careful not to drink so much in the future?

I don't know about that, we kind of lost touch. At no time did it occur to me that, rather than simply sleeping it off, he might have been in serious trouble or perhaps even dying. I think that was the case with these college students too. It was meant to be a prank.

I spent a lot of my college years drunk and passing out or throwing up. So did a lot of my peers. I had no idea that someone could die and those could be the only symptoms. Scary! I'm guessing that college kids today aren't a lot more well-educated on this subject than we were. My guess is that they didn't realize he was THAT sick.

The gay stuff is really nasty, but I have to admit I did a fair amount of writing on people, painting nails, and doing goofy hairstyles on passed out folks in my day...

On the subject of hazing, I know that it is illegal here. But, that doesn't seem to matter because there's generally something about it in the news at the beginning of each school year. Apparently being illegal isn't much of a deterrent.

Jeana (DP) said:
I've never hit any of my children and I don't feel that they will turn into tormentors of others because of it. There is a lot more involved here than just growing up without being hit.
I was never "hit" either. But, my mother gave us all a good *advertiser censored* burning when we deserved it. big difference in my opinion.

There are laws against hazing.

I will say this with all due respect, incidents of hazing are not compared to parties that people attended in private homes when they were teens. Take a look at what happens during a hazing in educational institutions and tell me that the same things occured at a friend's party.
Hazings are planned and meant to be made of mental and physical torment. Hazing leaders know the consequences of providing alcohol to minors (Phanta was a minor) and what would happen to a person who ingested as much alcohol as Phanta did. He was under age and they did not seek medical help after he passed out. Instead they wrote on him. The affidavit states that when one pledge voiced concerns about alcohol poisoning at the party, two actives told him “people were designated to ’take care’ of the pledges by helping them vomit and giving water".
Phanta's blood alcohol level was .41 percent when he died, more than five times the legal limit for driving.

Phoummarath's death occurred during a "crossing over" weekend when the fraternity formally makes those pledges who survived the previous "hell weekend" full members, according to the affidavit. The night before his death, Phoummarath and other pledges were allowed to party with their fraternity brothers, but were still allegedly expected to drink excessively from the bottles other student organizations brought the new members as congratulatory gifts.(this article can be seen at this link)

Texas considers hazing illegal. Hazing includes sleep deprivation; exposure to the elements; confinement in a small space; consumption of food, liquid or alcoholic beverage that may cause harm; and ostracism, shame and humiliation.

Texas has set stiff penalties. Failure to report hazing is punishable by a fine of up to $1,000 or up to 180 days in jail, or both; bodily injury can result in a fine ranging from $1,000 to $5,000, up to a year in jail, or both; and in the case of fatal injury, up to $10,000, one to two years imprisonment or both.

Phanta was a pledge who died at the hands of an organized structure. This needs to be stopped. The state of Texas will send a message to those who are involved in hazings.
I am dedicated to the Websluthes forum and this is only my respectful opinion.

Respectfully,
dark_shadows

Here is something I don't understand.

1) We have a university police department
2) They know where the fraternity houses are
3) They drive around patrolling 24/7
4) They know when the "rush week" or whatever it is called is for fraternities and sororities

So...if they drive by these houses and see that there are parties why don't they sit outside and watch? If there is evidence of underage drinking (like people stumbling around outside) then why don't they bust them before it gets out of hand and this sort of thing happens? Are they turning a blind eye? Are they understaffed? I just don't get it.

Granted I am out of the loop. As a grad student I am too old to see the "party school" side of UT that has apparently become a big deal. I thought we were known for being a "research university"...LOL.

That changes things, dark_shadows! So someone actually voiced concern about alcohol poisoning, and NOTHING was done?! That give the incident a whole 'nother slant!

Kim777 said:
Here is something I don't understand.

1) We have a university police department
2) They know where the fraternity houses are
3) They drive around patrolling 24/7
4) They know when the "rush week" or whatever it is called is for fraternities and sororities

So...if they drive by these houses and see that there are parties why don't they sit outside and watch? If there is evidence of underage drinking (like people stumbling around outside) then why don't they bust them before it gets out of hand and this sort of thing happens? Are they turning a blind eye? Are they understaffed? I just don't get it.

Granted I am out of the loop. As a grad student I am too old to see the "party school" side of UT that has apparently become a big deal. I thought we were known for being a "research university"...LOL.
Hi Kim777,:)
Thank-you very much for the post.
Respectfully,
dark_shadows

KatK said:
That changes things, dark_shadows! So someone actually voiced concern about alcohol poisoning, and NOTHING was done?! That give the incident a whole 'nother slant!
Hello KatK,:)

I want to thank-you for taking the time to read the post and respond. It is very much appreciated.

All of my Respect to you,
dark_shadows

From July 2008:

http://www.chron.com/news/houston-t...ay-4-2M-warn-against-intoxication-1755903.php

The family of a University of Texas at Austin student who died after a fraternity binge-drinking party has agreed to a $4.2 million settlement in their lawsuit against the fraternity and some of its members. The settlement, announced Tuesday by the family of Jack Phoummarath, provides money for an educational video and a scholarship in Phoummarath's memory...

Three fraternity members — Benny Chan, Andrew Nguyen and Kamal Pulukuri — pleaded no contest in September to charges of hazing.

According to the plea agreement, Chan, 24, then-chapter president; Nguyen, 22, a former pledge captain; and Pulukuri, 23, the "Hell Master" for Phoummarath's pledge class, were assessed two years' deferred adjudication probation. Each also was required to perform 100 hours of community service and pay a $1,000 fine.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Moonlit7
Back