TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
The suspect in custody was identified as Dimitrios Pagourtzis, 17, of Santa Fe, according to law enforcement sources. Harris County Sheriff Ed Gonzalez said a male suspect was in custody and a person of interest was detained and questioned. He didn't identify the two but said both were believed to be students at the school.

Police found pressure cookers and pipe bombs around the school, a law enforcement source told CBS News.

There was an active search for explosives, a federal law enforcement source told CBS News justice and homeland security correspondent Jeff Pegues. Authorities were in the process of rendering them safe and asked the public to call 911 if they see anything suspicious.

BBM. Shooter likely didn't act alone.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/santa-fe-high-school-shooting-today-2018-05-18-live-stream-updates/

I have never hit my child ever. But my daughter seemed to get the idea ha ha you can't punish me if I touch you'll go to jail. Basically told her if I do go to jail I'll make sure it's a good reason. My point is it gives kids control over their parents and teens love to have control.
Heck there was a time you could get spankings in school when misbehaved and there was not school shootings then because kids were scared of consequences. Not that hitting is correct but sure as heck didn't have these problems when we could spank our kids.
I was beat for 18 years by me ex husband so I don't believe in hitting but I do believe in common sense and there was a time when we didn't have this problem.
So what has changed.

Two things have changed-

1. Years of certain political lobbies creating a culture in which guns have become part of the national identity, and extreme paranoia that our guns are going to be taken away whenever someone talks about gun control, both of which led to a massive increase in gun ownership, including stubborn gun ownership by people who should not have access to firearms or allow their children to have such access.

2. Creating notorious celebrities out of every mass murderer who uses guns. That has caused a copy-cat effect as it has given other alienated losers and loners the motivation to go do something like this.

There is zero evidence that any of these mass shooters were spoiled or not hit as children. The majority of Americans spank their kids still.

Advocating violence against children- having the person they should trust the most in the world use physical force with he intention of causing physical pain to the child as a means of "teaching" them is frankly disgusting to me.

Our prisons are full of people who were spanked, whipped, hit.

I don't think people who have spanked their kids are bad. I think most of us have given our kids a pop on the butt whether we believe in it or not. We do what was done to us. But I'm over people advocating violence against children as a means to resolve society's problems or to raise well adjusted, disciplined adults.

Studies are definitive. Multiple studies. Spanking, hitting causes much more negative than positive in general. Regardless of people's anecdotal evidence that they were spanked and turned out great.

Studies are definitive that populations of people who were spanked as children versus those who were not have higher rates of mental health issues like anxiety and depression, are more aggressive and have more behavioral issues, more sexual dysfunction. Etc.

Can we stop blaming not hitting children for atrocities like this? Love and understanding and gentle humor and common sense and fair rules and mental health assistance when needed are the things we need to employ with kids. Not aggression.

I wonder if it will spread any where else or if it's only American kids that are so incredibly ####ed up.

Kids have issues all over the world. But they don’t have the easy access to what people pretend has no impact.

Kids everywhere suffer bullyingm watch and hear about volence, have inapproprate parents, take legal and illegal drugs, are spoiled , are deprived.

But they do not have the same access to what Americans do

“A” mass shooting. So, one?

OK ...

I had my facts wrong. I pretty much knew 'Murica had a monopoly on mass shootings but thought I had heard about another. No other countries have them like this. It only happens because it can happen. With all the disaffected, trouble, disenfranchised young men in this country it's a recipe for disaster. Lawmakers do not care and some of them think introducing more guns is the answer.
And constituents think hitting kids is the answer.

Yeah, there was recently a mass shooting in Australia.

A grandfather shot 6 of his unsuspecting family members. Not close to the same as a mass shooting like this, and still exceedingly rare over there while even those kind of domestic mass murders are a weekly phenomena in our country.

Kids have issues all over the world. But they don’t have the easy access to what people pretend has no impact.

Kids everywhere suffer bullyingm watch and hear about volence, have inapproprate parents, take legal and illegal drugs, are spoiled , are deprived.

But they do not have the same access to what Americans do

GUNS GUNS and more GUNS.
And the massive amount of guns = liberty political stance isn't helping.

This is fairly local to me so I’ve been watching the news all morning. Read it was a sawed off shotgun and a pistol but not sure if its been confirmed. Not the first time I heard the shotgun reference, I heard it early in one of the live news broadcasts.

There was an officer assigned at the school and he is in critical condition. I’ve found the reference to the officers assigned. News reports are saying he was shot in the arm but I’ve also heard them say chest so I don’t know whose correct on that.
https://www.sfisd.org/domain/32

Yeah, there was recently a mass shooting in Australia.

OT

Yeah, I get it, Elley. It wasn’t a school shooting. First mass shooting in, what, two decades? One event. Thank you for clearing that up!

[emoji106][emoji6]

... Moving back on-topic. ...

Has spanking as a form of punishment increased like mass shootings have increased?

If this is a simple incident of a bullied, unstable student acting out his revenge, why has his social media presence been completely scrubbed, and quickly at that?

Second person detained. What's his connection? What are their wider connections? People have found FB and Instagram friends and followers from many places including Turkey. One screen shot shows a friend saying to him "good job brother".

Are the parents dead too? What's happening at the mobile home where bombs have apparently been found? How many bombs did he have in total? It sounds like a lot. How could he get all these explosives and high powered weapons at the age of 17, all by himself, and without being noticed??

I wonder if we'll ever get even a smattering of answers.

I have to wonder why the ATF is responding so quickly to this school shooting? IIRC, the ATF hasn't responded to other school shootings this rapidly, if at all. Is it solely because of the improvised explosives?

I'm glad they're there, but it seems strange-- out of school shooting patterns-- for them to show up so quickly.

This is from 8:28 this morning-- less than an hour after the shootings. Anyone else find that odd?

https://twitter.com/ATFHQ/status/99...hooting-today-2018-05-18-live-stream-updates/

Two things have changed-

1. Years of certain political lobbies creating a culture in which guns have become part of the national identity, and extreme paranoia that our guns are going to be taken away whenever someone talks about gun control, both of which led to a massive increase in gun ownership, including stubborn gun ownership by people who should not have access to firearms or allow their children to have such access.

2. Creating notorious celebrities out of every mass murderer who uses guns. That has caused a copy-cat effect as it has given other alienated losers and loners the motivation to go do something like this.

There is zero evidence that any of these mass shooters were spoiled or not hit as children. The majority of Americans spank their kids still.

Advocating violence against children- having the person they should trust the most in the world use physical force with he intention of causing physical pain to the child as a means of "teaching" them is frankly disgusting to me.

Our prisons are full of people who were spanked, whipped, hit.

I don't think people who have spanked their kids are bad. I think most of us have given our kids a pop on the butt whether we believe in it or not. We do what was done to us. But I'm over people advocating violence against children as a means to resolve society's problems or to raise well adjusted, disciplined adults.

Studies are definitive. Multiple studies. Spanking, hitting causes much more negative than positive in general. Regardless of people's anecdotal evidence that they were spanked and turned out great.

Studies are definitive that populations of people who were spanked as children versus those who were not have higher rates of mental health issues like anxiety and depression, are more aggressive and have more behavioral issues, more sexual dysfunction. Etc.

Can we stop blaming not hitting children for atrocities like this? Love and understanding and gentle humor and common sense and fair rules and mental health assistance when needed are the things we need to employ with kids. Not aggression.
:goodpost:

I mean, I can personally testify that beating subject to belt whippings and told not to cry for crying would make it worse and not to ever frown or have a bad reaction to an order from an adult or else get the belt again did nothing but make me a zombie that has no ability to feel or understand my own feelings because I was told I was not allowed to have them. Anxiety, depression the whole 9 and I'm one of the few who seek help for the disorders encouraged by childhood beatings.

I have to wonder why the ATF is responding so quickly to this school shooting? IIRC, the ATF hasn't responded to other school shootings this rapidly, if at all. Is it solely because of the improvised explosives?

I'm glad they're there, but it seems strange-- out of school shooting patterns-- for them to show up so quickly.

This is from 8:28 this morning-- less than an hour after the shootings. Anyone else find that odd?

https://twitter.com/ATFHQ/status/99...hooting-today-2018-05-18-live-stream-updates/

I certainly do.

If this is a simple incident of a bullied, unstable student acting out his revenge, why has his social media presence been completely scrubbed, and quickly at that?

Second person detained. What's his connection? What are their wider connections? People have found FB and Instagram friends and followers from many places including Turkey. One screen shot shows a friend saying to him "good job brother".

Are the parents dead too? What's happening at the mobile home where bombs have apparently been found? How many bombs did he have in total? It sounds like a lot. How could he get all these explosives and high powered weapons at the age of 17, all by himself, and without being noticed??

I wonder if we'll ever get even a smattering of answers.

His father is Greek, he could have relatives in any part of the world.

I certainly do.

My guess is they have a local office due to the size of Houston that made for a quick response. From the videos on the news it looks like every available police officer in the entire Houston area went to the scene. They had neighboring county officers doing traffic control.

Whatever you want to make of it, it is still a school shooting. Not much different to the dozens of others.

I think it was in response to the report of IEDs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rav17en