TX - Police respond to reports of shooter at Santa Fe High School, 18 May 2018

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I actually agreed with your earlier post except for your use of the word hero. It isn't heroic to do what you are trained to do.
They cared enough and did what they could and that is all anybody can ask.IMO

I am going to start posting links to all the msm articles calling cop a hero. I am pretty sure if msm is using this term then I should be able to without any issues per rules of the site.
"The hero school police officer who was shot while confronting the gunman during Friday’s mass shooting in Texas “flatlined” twice afterward and might lose his arm, but a friend and relative tell PEOPLE they believe he will survive."
http://people.com/crime/hero-texas-shooting-officer-will-likely-survive-family/

Whole episode taking 30 minutes obviously doesn't mean it took swat 30 minutes to arrive after the cops on the scene called them.

That doesn't matter. The students were being shot for that long. Many of them were bleeding out for that long. The only one who was pulled to safety was the injured cop. Because cops have to be protected. Everybody else needs to have guns pointed at them, so the cops will be safe. 30 minutes is unexceptable. With today's weapons 500 people could be dead in 30 minutes. An entire school could be wiped out in 30 minutes.

I am going to start posting links to all the msm articles calling cop a hero. I am pretty sure if msm is using this term then I should be able to without any issues per rules of the site.
"The hero school police officer who was shot while confronting the gunman during Friday’s mass shooting in Texas “flatlined” twice afterward and might lose his arm, but a friend and relative tell PEOPLE they believe he will survive."
http://people.com/crime/hero-texas-shooting-officer-will-likely-survive-family/

Pretty sure no one said you couldn't post the word hero on this site in regard to any actions of LE.
You have your thoughts on the matter and so do I.
Moving on now.

I'm not so sure that the policy of LE going in head to head to a shooter is observed by all police departments.
Here's the report for the Pulse shooting in Orlando, June 2016 put out by Dept. of Justice, Dept. of Community Policing
Services:

DOJ says Orlando PD acted consistently with national guidelines and best practices.

Pulse shooter started firing at 2:02 AM- SWAT finally took him down at 5:15 AM- 3 hours 13 min.

https://ric-zai-inc.com/Publications/cops-w0857-pub.pdf

I'm not so sure that the policy of LE going in head to head to a shooter is observed by all police departments.
Here's the report for the Pulse shooting in Orlando, June 2016 put out by Dept. of Justice, Dept. of Community Policing
Services:

DOJ says Orlando PD acted consistently with national guidelines and best practices.

Pulse shooter started firing at 2:02 AM- SWAT finally took him down at 5:15 AM- 3 hours 13 min.

It's a policy that was developed after Columbine. It is definitely not being followed.

That doesn't matter. The students were being shot for that long. Many of them were bleeding out for that long. The only one who was pulled to safety was the injured cop. Because cops have to be protected. Everybody else needs to have guns pointed at them, so the cops will be safe. 30 minutes is unexceptable. With today's weapons 500 people could be dead in 30 minutes. An entire school could be wiped out in 30 minutes.

Unfortunately we haven't invented a teleportation device yet for a SWAT team to appear there in no time.

Unfortunately we haven't invented a teleportation device yet for a SWAT team to appear there in no time.

Again the policy after Columbine is supposed to be not to wait for SWAT. Because SWAT arrives too late, to be effective. Yet, police repeatedly wait anyway.

Again the policy after Columbine is supposed to be not to wait for SWAT. Because SWAT arrives too late, to be effective. Yet, police repeatedly wait anyway.

And here we go again. Haven't we been through this 10 times already? The office didn't wait, he confronted the shooter and got shot.

School shooting victim's mission was to promote 'mutual understanding'

https://www.cnn.com/2018/05/20/asia/santa-fe-high-school-pakistan/index.html

In Pakistan's bustling port city of Karachi, a family is in mourning.

On Friday, thousands of miles away in Texas, the eldest child of the house, 17- year-old exchange student Sabika Sheikh was one of 10 people killed in the Santa Fe High School shooting.

Ten months ago, Sabika had received a scholarship to visit the United States on a program funded by the State Department -- an initiative called the Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) program.

One of the aims of YES is to create youth ambassadors to foster "mutual understanding and respect" between the United States and countries with significant Muslim populations.

Maybe this article has been updated but when I read it, it says he lived in a mobile home and that LE searched two residences.

Maybe parents were living seperate? I haven't been able to find the article that stated there was three seperate residences. It seems to disappear so assuming it was wrong info. The dad owns a Marina in Houston so maybe he lives in Houston?

Is this the new policy for school shootings or all mass shootings?

If I recall. the Pulse law enforcement waited a significant amount of time before they entered the premises.

Good point. Las Vegas too, I think.

Maybe parents were living seperate? I haven't been able to find the article that stated there was three seperate residences. It seems to disappear so assuming it was wrong info. The dad owns a Marina in Houston so maybe he lives in Houston?

Dad seems to have had numerous addresses in and around Houston and Alva Tx. over the years. Something tells me

he lived apart from rest of family. Not confirmed though.

'13 Reasons Why' event canceled in wake of Texas school shooting

An event in Los Angeles to mark the season two premiere of the Netflix series "13 Reasons Why" has been canceled in the wake of Friday's shooting at Santa Fe High School in Texas.

[...]

"13 Reasons Why" centers on a high school student's suicide and the 13 cassette tape recordings she leaves behind for various former classmates, whom she blames in part for her decision to take her own life. The show has been both praised and criticized for the way in which it explores topics of teen suicide, bullying, sexual abuse and more.

Season two of the show had just premiered Friday on Netflix.

https://abcnews.go.com/amp/GMA/News...-wake-texas-school-shooting/story?id=55273112

Im always amazed at how low the injury numbers are (obviously one person is still too many, goes without saying) when looking at the various weapon capability - looking at the Paris and Manchester terrorist attacks here too - and lack of a way to escape. Does anyone know if there is a reason in particular why it is so (relatively) low?

Let’s see how Oxford, Cambridge and Merriam Webster define hero. Interestingly, many of the definitions include those who acted in accordance with the job they signed up for. But I guess firefighters who risk their lives to run into a burning building aren’t heroic because they signed up for the job? They aren't courageous because they chose to do something dangerous? Illogical.

Definition of hero
plural heroes
1a : a mythological or legendary figure often of divine descent endowed with great strength or ability
b : an illustrious warrior
c : a person admired for achievements and noble qualities
d : one who shows great courage
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hero

hero[SUP]1[/SUP]
NOUN

• 1A person who is admired for their courage, outstanding achievements, or noble qualities.
‘a war hero’
More example sentences
Synonyms
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/hero

heronoun [ C ]
US ​ /ˈhɪər·oʊ/ plural heroes female heroine, /ˈher·oʊ·ɪn/
​
a person admired for bravery, great achievements, or good qualities
​
literature The hero is the main character of a story, play, or movie.
heroic
adjective [ not gradable ] US ​ /hɪˈroʊ·ɪk/
The ceremony at City Hall honored the heroic acts of firefighters who lost their lives.
heronoun [ C ]
UK ​ /ˈhɪə.rəʊ/ US ​ /ˈhɪr.oʊ/ plural heroes
hero noun [ C ] (PERSON)
​
B1 a person who is admired for having done something very brave or havingachieved something great:
a war hero
He became a national hero for his part in the revolution.
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/hero

heroism
noun her·o·ism \ ˈher-ə-ˌwi-zəm , ˈhe-rə- also ˈhir- \
Popularity: Top 40% of words |Updated on: 10 May 2018

Examples: heroism in a Sentence
1: heroic conduct especially as exhibited in fulfilling a high purpose or attaining a noble end
2: the qualities of a hero
See heroism defined for English-language learners
See heroism defined for kids
Examples of heroism in a Sentence

1. women who showed heroism by fighting for their right to vote
  2. the inspiring heroism of the firefighters who risked their lives to save the people trapped in the burning building
As the tragic drama unfolded in the cabin, more heroism was on display in the cockpit.
—
John Bacon, USA TODAY, "22 minutes of terror on Southwest Flight 1380: How an ordinary trip turned tragic," 18 Apr. 2018
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/heroism

Definition of heroism in English:
heroism
NOUN
mass noun

• Great bravery.
‘they fought with exemplary heroism’
https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/heroism

heroismnoun [ U ]
US ​ /ˈher·oʊˌɪz·əm/
​
great bravery:
an act of heroism
https://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/heroism

Not one of these definitions excludes those who acted in accordance with their jobs or who signed up to face danger. Pilots, police, firefighters, soldiers – all have been described and are heroes when they act heroically to save others. Even though they knew the risks when they signed up for the job and that such conduct is not unexpected.

It’s hard to be human. It’s even harder to go against human extinct to rescue others. These devastating tragedies are terrible enough without those who risk their lives to save people being denigrated or minimized. I am frankly appalled by this.

Thank God there are people willing to do these things. Not all can or could or would.

As more and more school shootings happen and with continued tax cuts to education I think online schooling will become the future for education.

Then I don't know what answer you want me to give. Schools are funded by our tax dollars and keeping students safe while they're being educated should be included in what we pay for.

You are aware of how underfunded schools are, to say nothing about the vast majority of underpaid teachers?
Our State, Arizona, just finished a teachers' strike. Teachers are paying out of their own pocket for supplies. Classes are overcrowded. Quality of education is lacking because of limited one on one for many students............ the list goes on and on. What happened to classes like art and music?

No, arming teachers and putting more stop gap security measures is just pure insanity and throwing money at our broken school systems to protect our children from other children with a GUN is more of the same.

How much would it cost us to have a similar law as the Drinking Act of 1984 pertaining to firearms?

NOT A DIME.

We already PAY our lawmakers.

You are aware of how underfunded schools are, to say nothing about the vast majority of underpaid teachers?
Our State, Arizona, just finished a teachers' strike. Teachers are paying out of their own pocket for supplies. Classes are overcrowded. Quality of education is lacking because of limited one on one for many students............ the list goes on and on. What happened to classes like art and music?

No, arming teachers and putting more stop gap security measures is just pure insanity and throwing money at our broken school systems to protect our children from other children with a GUN is more of the same.

How much would it cost us to have a similar law as the Drinking Act of 1984 pertaining to firearms?

NOT A DIME.

We already PAY our lawmakers.

I am sorry, how would making 21 years the minimum age for buying guns, have prevented this young man taking his father's guns?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member