TX - pregnant wife unresponsive on life support, husband hopes to fulfill her wishes

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'd be willing to bet that they ultrasound the fetus at least once a day. They have a TON of information already. I'd bet they have done an MRI.

A 20 weeker is still too small to keep it on the external fetal heart monitor 24/7....unless it isn't moving around at all.

Per what father has been saying, they haven't done anything of the sort.
They only check the heartbeat.
How would they even do an MRI? They need to fit a woman on a ventillator into an MRI machine, that's not going to be easy.
Father could release any information about the fetus he knows. He hasn't said he knows anything about its condition. In fact he is quoted saying he doesn't know anything about its condition.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...m-lawsuit-over-brain-dead-pregnant-woman?lite

snipped

Neither judge Wilkinson nor the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office would elaborate on the move, but Bud Kennedy, a reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, tweeted Thursday that Wilkinson's campaign treasurer is also general counsel for JPS Health Network, the hospital's parent company:

Yep, POLITICS!! Also Stalling!! Judge Wilkinson was assigned the case on Tuesday, so why did she wait until late on Thursday to recuse herself?

Wanted to get their,:rubberducky::rubberducky::rubberducky: in a row.

:coffeecup:

Wanted to get their,:rubberducky::rubberducky::rubberducky: in a row.

:coffeecup:

I don't think there is a judge here in Tarrant County that doesn't know the verdict they would be required to render under Texas law. If they didn't previously know you can bet they have been studying applicable laws. The key, I believe, is according to Texas law, Marlise has been declared brain dead & is therefore deceased. Erick's attorneys only received hospital records this past Wednesday after they filed the suit. Apparently Erick was largely being kept in the dark regarding his wife's condition.

The Fort Worth Star Telegram printed an article in this morning's paper that quotes from Texas Rules of Civil Procedure some of the legitimate reasons for recusal.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/16/5492173/judge-recuses-herself-from-munoz.html

This case is a real "hot potato" & I would be willing to bet there's not a judge in town that isn't scrambling to find a reason to disqualify themselves.

He wasn't kept in the dark about his wife's condition. He knew she was brain dead-you can look at much earlier interviews and he was saying his wife is brain dead. Although he doesn't seem to know anything about condition of the fetus.
He got official documents about his wife's condition. What about the fetus?

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/201...m-lawsuit-over-brain-dead-pregnant-woman?lite

snipped

Neither judge Wilkinson nor the Tarrant County District Attorney's Office would elaborate on the move, but Bud Kennedy, a reporter for the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, tweeted Thursday that Wilkinson's campaign treasurer is also general counsel for JPS Health Network, the hospital's parent company:

NBCDFW was reporting on their 6am newscast that Wilkinson's campaign manager was an attorney working for the law firm that represents Erick Munoz. I haven't been able to find a link but will continue looking & provide when I find one. Very likely rumors are flying around thicker than a London fog & we may never know why Wilkinson recused herself.

What we actually need is a judge who is near retirement, therefore not concerned with public opinion, & can deliver a non-prejudicial verdict according to the law. The key is that it is now known without doubt that Marlise is clinically brain dead & is considered deceased under Texas law. Therefore, there is no reason to provide medical treatment for a deceased person.

NBCDFW was reporting on their 6am newscast that Wilkinson's campaign manager was an attorney working for the law firm that represents Erick Munoz. I haven't been able to find a link but will continue looking & provide when I find one. Very likely rumors are flying around thicker than a London fog & we may never know why Wilkinson recused herself.

What we actually need is a judge who is near retirement, therefore not concerned with public opinion, & can deliver a non-prejudicial verdict according to the law. The key is that it is now known without doubt that Marlise is clinically brain dead & is considered deceased under Texas law. Therefore, there is no reason to provide medical treatment for a deceased person.

If under current laws somebody can just turn off life support from a pregnant brain dead woman, then the law needs to be changed. In this particular situation the family doesn't want life support, but it's not always the case.
If the law doesn't consider whether brain dead patient is pregnant, that needs to be changed. Otherwise the hospital has the right to turn off life support without permission from the family.
Even if fetus is viable and can be saved.

If under current laws somebody can just turn off life support from a pregnant brain dead woman, then the law needs to be changed. In this particular situation the family doesn't want life support, but it's not always the case.
If the law doesn't consider whether brain dead patient is pregnant, that needs to be changed. Otherwise the hospital has the right to turn off life support without permission from the family.
Even if fetus is viable and can be saved.

I agree that the laws should be much more specific.

Yep, POLITICS!! Also Stalling!! Judge Wilkinson was assigned the case on Tuesday, so why did she wait until late on Thursday to recuse herself?

I'm following the McMath case and was reading over here since the cases are somewhat related. I saw this post and saw '"stalling" on the recusal issue. I was expecting to read that the Judge was assigned to the case a month ago, or even two weeks ago. But when I read two days, I had to comment. This case may be political. But a recusal order ENTERED in two days time is not evidence of that, imo. The opposite, in fact. At one of the links her notice of recusal to the presiding judge even noted the time sensitivity.

jmo

I'm following the McMath case and was reading over here since the cases are somewhat related. I saw this post and saw '"stalling" on the recusal issue. I was expecting to read that the Judge was assigned to the case a month ago, or even two weeks ago. But when I read two days, I had to comment. This case may be political. But a recusal order ENTERED in two days time is not evidence of that, imo. The opposite, in fact. At one of the links her notice of recusal to the presiding judge even noted the time sensitivity.

jmo

Maybe so. However in an earlier post someone stated that this is a
lose-lose situation for any judge & I believe that to be very true. Because a pregnancy is involved passions are running extremely high. Some people want a baby delivered regardless of whether it is dead, alive, or severely disabled & suffering. Others believe this is nothing more than a horror story experiment using a dead woman's body as a guinea pig.

Guess my ears were not working well at 6am this morning. I just now listened to the 11am NBCDFW news. They are reporting that one of the attorneys for the hospital is working on Judge Wilkinson's campaign. Sorry for my mistake!

Baby could be brain dead even with the heart beating. It's getting oxygen from the mother, which is getting it from the ventillator. If it's brain dead it would be just dead after birth, unless somebody attaches it to its own ventillator.
But hospital can do tests to check what shape the baby is in.

respectfully snipped

Thank you jjenny!

If it is growing would that be proof that it is not brain dead? Because the brain would surely be the organ 'orchestrating' growth and development, right?

If it's not sure now whether it is viable or not I must find in favor of the hospital's actions and the Texan law. Otherwise this fetus would be killed the moment the mother is taken off life support. I think it is right to wait and see how/if it develops. If it turns out in February not to be viable the mother's life support can be stopped then. imo

Maybe so. However in an earlier post someone stated that this is a
lose-lose situation for any judge & I believe that to be very true. Because a pregnancy is involved passions are running extremely high. Some people want a baby delivered regardless of whether it is dead, alive, or severely disabled & suffering. Others believe this is nothing more than a horror story experiment using a dead woman's body as a guinea pig.

That very well may be. I was responding to that statement that she was Stalling by not recusing herself in less than two days. jmo

Thank you jjenny!

If it is growing would that be proof that it is not brain dead? Because the brain would surely be the organ 'orchestrating' growth and development, right?

If it's not sure now whether it is viable or not I must find in favor of the hospital's actions and the Texan law. Otherwise this fetus would be killed the moment the mother is taken off life support. I think it is right to wait and see how/if it develops. If it turns out in February not to be viable the mother's life support can be stopped then. imo

Fetus is now at a gestation period that hospital can run tests to check a lot of things. If fetus has a brain, if a brain appears normal, etc.
If I were the father, at the very least I would have wanted to have this information before aksing for the mother's life support to be turned off. But then again, I am not him.

Why I believe this case is politically motivated fetal experimentation:

- If one believes Marlise is "still" deserving of personhood rights, her expressed wishes are being intentionally being disregarded by the interpretation of the laws in Texas. That is not informed consent, it is State coercion. And hijacking of her "personhood" rights to self determination. The state of TX doesn't care if she wrote her wishes down, or not. Merely because she has a uterus, the State of TX has determined that she cannot have decision making rights over her own body.

-If Marlise retains "personhood" rights, she has not consented to what is being done with her body, nor has she consented to what is being done to her fetus.

RSBM
BBM-Personhood ends at death. Marlise does not have the rights of personhood because she is dead.<modsnip>

I get the impression you think a woman has an absolute right to an abortion. . .?? Or the woman's rights always supersedes the state's interests? I don't want to put words in your mouth, but I'm not sure you understand what was really said regarding the state's interests in Roe v Wade.

On the basis of elements such as these, appellant and some amici argue that the woman's right is absolute and that she is entitled to terminate her pregnancy at whatever time, in whatever way, and for whatever reason she alone chooses. With this we do not agree. Appellant's arguments that Texas either has no valid interest at all in regulating the abortion decision, or no interest strong enough to support any limitation upon the woman's sole determination, are unpersuasive. The Court's decisions recognizing a right of privacy also acknowledge that some state regulation in areas protected by that right is appropriate. As noted above, a State may properly assert important interests in safeguarding health, in maintaining medical standards, and in protecting potential life. At some point in pregnancy, these respective interests become sufficiently compelling to sustain regulation of the factors that govern the abortion decision. The privacy right involved, therefore, cannot be said to be absolute. In fact, it is not clear to us that the claim asserted by some amici that one has an unlimited right to do with one's body as one pleases bears a close relationship to the right of privacy previously articulated in the Court's decisions. The Court has refused to recognize an unlimited right of this kind in the past. Jacobson v. Massachusetts, 197 U.S. 11 (1905) (vaccination); Buck v. Bell, 274 U.S. 200 (1927) ( sterilization). . . .

We, therefore, conclude that the right of personal privacy includes the abortion decision, but that this right is not unqualified, and must be considered against important state interests in regulation. . .

Although the results are divided, most of these courts have agreed that the right of privacy, however based, is broad enough to cover the abortion decision; that the right, nonetheless, is not absolute, and is subject to some limitations; and that, at some point, the state interests as to protection of health, medical standards, and prenatal life, become dominant. We agree with this approach.

In view of all this, we do not agree that, by adopting one theory of life, Texas may override the rights of the pregnant woman that are at stake. We repeat, however, that the State does have an important and legitimate interest in preserving and protecting the health of the pregnant woman, whether she be a resident of the State or a nonresident who seeks medical consultation and treatment there, and that it has still another important and legitimate interest in protecting the potentiality of human life. These interests are separate and distinct. Each grows in substantiality as the woman approaches term and, at a point during pregnancy, each becomes "compelling."
http://www.law.cornell.edu/supremecourt/text/410/113

The State no longer has an interest in Marlise's health. She's dead. However, they do still have an interest in the potential life. That would be the dominant interest here. Please read the decision. As long as the physicians can't determine the fetus has died, they can't turn off life support. It's my understanding that they can't test for higher brain function (basically tell if the fetus is brain dead) until the 22-24 weeks. I think that's what they are waiting for.

I do not honestly believe for one minute that these physicians would keep Marlise on life support if they knew this fetus was essentially deceased. If they knew that, this would be over. Do you really think they would keep a dead woman and her dead fetus on life support? I don't.

There are 2 new developments on the case this morning.

Pregnant, Brain-Dead Woman's Lawsuit Rebutted (from NBCDFW)
JPS Hospital denies all charges in Erick Munoz lawsuit.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pregnant-Brain-Dead-Womans-Lawsuit-Rebutted-240918491.html

Munoz case against JPS Hospital has been moved to 96th District Court. State District Judge R. H. Wallace will hear the case. The administrative judge for the region is out of town. Judge Wallace is the acting administrative judge & assigned the case to his court.

http//www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/17/5494963/Munoz-case-against-jps-moved-to.html#my-headlines-default

As I have said before, I'm not at all computer savvy & something appears to be wrong with this last link. I will go back, look at it again, & correct if I can.

However, I would like to comment on this development. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Judge Wallace for assigning the case to his own court. I may or my not agree with his decision, but regardless he is willing to take responsibility for hearing a case & making a decision that will be wildly explosive whichever way he rules.

There are 2 new developments on the case this morning.

Pregnant, Brain-Dead Woman's Lawsuit Rebutted (from NBCDFW)
JPS Hospital denies all charges in Erick Munoz lawsuit.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Pregnant-Brain-Dead-Womans-Lawsuit-Rebutted-240918491.html

Munoz case against JPS Hospital has been moved to 96th District Court. State District Judge R. H. Wallace will hear the case. The administrative judge for the region is out of town. Judge Wallace is the acting administrative judge & assigned the case to his court.

http//www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/17/5494963/Munoz-case-against-jps-moved-to.html#my-headlines-default

As I have said before, I'm not at all computer savvy & something appears to be wrong with this last link. I will go back, look at it again, & correct if I can.

However, I would like to comment on this development. I have a tremendous amount of respect for Judge Wallace for assigning the case to his own court. I may or my not agree with his decision, but regardless he is willing to take responsibility for hearing a case & making a decision that will be wildly explosive whichever way he rules.

Here's another try for the Star-Telegram link. Looks like this one works.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/17/5494963/munoz-case-against-jps-moved-to.html

Interesting. Same judge here - http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/01/08/5471086/five-suits-against-couch-family.html
Posted Thursday, Jan. 09, 2014

The suits all seek damages from Ethan Couch, 16; his parents, Fred and Tonya Couch; and his family’s company, Cleburne Metal Works.

Couch was driving drunk when his pickup, with seven teenage passengers, went out of control that night. Last month, he was sentenced in juvenile court to 10 years of probation and intensive therapy.

On Monday, state District Judge R.H. Wallace signed an order combining five suits and transferring them to his court.

I noticed Judge Wallace was appointed by Governor Perry mid-term to fill a vacancy and then was reelected by popular vote and has held his position for 6 years now.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Webster23
Back