TX TX - President John F. Kennedy, 46, Dallas, 22 Nov 1963

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
So very sad. I was not alive. My Mom was so shocked and devastated and she often remembers this tragedy and said my oldest brother as a lil one walked around, repeating her words I am sure, saying poor misser Kennedy.

So very sad. I was not alive. My Mom was so shocked and devastated and she often remembers this tragedy and said my oldest brother as a lil one walked around, repeating her words I am sure, saying poor misser Kennedy.
Yes, it was a very traumatic, sad time for the US. We'd never experienced anything like that in our time. I'd even go so far as to say it was more traumatic than 9-11.

President Lyndon Baines Johnson spoke at 6:10 p.m. at Andrews Air Force Base, Md., near Washington, upon his arrival from Dallas, Tex. following the assassination of President John F. Kennedy. This was his first public speech as President:

"This is a sad time for all people. We have suffered a loss that cannot be weighed. For me, it is a deep personal tragedy. I know that the world shares the sorrow that Mrs. Kennedy and her family bear. I will do my best. That is all I can do. I ask for your help - and God's."

LINK:

Also murdered on 22 November 1963 in Dallas, Texas was Dallas Police Officer J. D. Tippit.

Dallas Police Officer J. D. Tippit, age 39, Shot to death on 22 November 1963.

LINKS:

I remember that day, but from a young child's perspective.

We lived in the Dallas/Fort Worth area at the time. I was 3, my sister 4 1/2.

There was a children's program featuring a character called Mr. Peppermint:

1700608337568.jpeg

Sis & I were big fans.

What Sis & I didn't understand was that Mr. Peppermint was also a reporter for the TV station, Jerry Haynes:

1700608407715.png

Jerry Haynes was the station's reporter assigned to the Presidential visit. His reporting was live television.

My sister & I brought our Mom to the TV quickly. We told her firmly & loudly "Mr. Peppermint is on TV, and he isn't wearing his clothes!"

Indeed, Mom wanted to know what exactly Mr. Peppermint doing on TV at that time.

I don't remember the assassination, but remember the day!

Just minutes after President John F. Kennedy was fatally shot as his motorcade rolled through downtown Dallas, Associated Press reporter Peggy Simpson rushed to the scene.
https://t.co/0o1Uyqj4UD

1700665171017.png

DALLAS -- Just minutes after President John F. Kennedy was fatally shot as his motorcade rolled through downtown Dallas, Associated Press reporter Peggy Simpson rushed to the scene and immediately attached herself to the police officers who had converged on the building from which a sniper's bullets had been fired.

"I was sort of under their armpit," Simpson said, noting that every time she was able to get any information from them, she would rush to a pay phone to call her editors, and then "go back to the cops."

Simpson, now 84, is among the last surviving witnesses who are sharing their stories as the nation marks the 60th anniversary of the Nov. 22, 1963, assassination on Wednesday.

@mariashriver

On this day in 1963, my uncle was killed by an assassin’s bullet. This day is forever seared into my heart and mind. Go gently today, as millions of people are working through their trauma. Millions of people are grieving things that happened years ago or decades ago, or just moments ago. Millions will never be the same again. Let’s start by acknowledging our own pain. Our own pain guides us to our own healing, which in turn can help heal others.

12:35 PM · Nov 22, 2023

1700752247647.png

60 Years ago...

477719996_1140x641.jpg

Sunday morning, 24 November 1963, Lee Harvey Oswald is fatally shot in the basement of the Dallas Police Department building as he is being transferred to the county jail by Jack Ruby.

LINKS:

60 Years ago...

policeman holding rifle used in kennedy assassination

A Dallas policeman holds up the rifle said to have been used to kill President John F. Kennedy on 22 November 1963.

LINK:

My first thought was that he majorly contaminated the crime scene by picking this up with his bare hands.

My mother was at the doctor's office and he had just found my almost 6-month-old fetal heartbeat when the nurse walked in and told them the news. She was on her first day of maternity leave when she saw Oswald get shot on live TV.

A little more explanation: Back then, many employers required women to leave their jobs at mid-pregnancy, or even fired them outright. Hers didn't, and she wanted to work until I was born but my dad convinced her to leave the job early (and she later thanked him, because she didn't know how uncomfortable late pregnancy is). This company also kept her job open, without pay, for a year. They were very forward-thinking for their time.

Rob Reiner launches a podcast series saying he has proof that four men were involved in the shooting.
(NewsNation) — In a gripping exploration of what he calls “America’s great murder mystery,” renowned actor and director Rob Reiner has launched a 10-part podcast series titled “Who Killed JFK,” aiming to unravel the truth behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

In an interview on “NewsNation Prime,” Reiner claims he has proof that four men were involved in Kennedy’s assassination in 1963.

[...]

Reiner claims not only does he know there was more than one shooter, but he is prepared to identify the shooters and their locations.

The podcast, hosted by journalist Soledad O’Brien, promises to shed light on the enigmatic event that has lingered in the American psyche for over six decades.

[...]

Reiner is not naming the shooters until the final episodes of the 10-part podcast.

Rob Reiner launches a podcast series saying he has proof that four men were involved in the shooting.

(NewsNation) — In a gripping exploration of what he calls “America’s great murder mystery,” renowned actor and director Rob Reiner has launched a 10-part podcast series titled “Who Killed JFK,” aiming to unravel the truth behind the assassination of President John F. Kennedy.

In an interview on “NewsNation Prime,” Reiner claims he has proof that four men were involved in Kennedy’s assassination in 1963.

[...]

Reiner claims not only does he know there was more than one shooter, but he is prepared to identify the shooters and their locations.

The podcast, hosted by journalist Soledad O’Brien, promises to shed light on the enigmatic event that has lingered in the American psyche for over six decades.

[...]

Reiner is not naming the shooters until the final episodes of the 10-part podcast.
I saw an interview with the two of them on TMZ yesterday or the day before, it was interesting jmo.

“Anybody who was alive at that time can remember exactly where they were when they heard the news,” Rob Reiner says about Nov. 22, 1963, the epochal day when President John F. Kennedy was assassinated while riding in a motorcade in Dallas with his wife, Jacqueline, Texas Governor John Connelly, and his wife, Nellie. “I was in my high school physics class,” Reiner recalls. “I was 16 years old. A student came in and whispered into the teacher’s ear and the teacher turned to us and said, ‘I have some terrible news,’ and then they sent us home.”

Does Rob Reiner Know Who Killed John F. Kennedy?

PUBLISHED: NOV 22, 2023 10:00 AM EST

1702232475121.png
President and Mrs. Kennedy leaving his Inaugural Ball in 1961. Two years later, he’d be assassinated in Dallas. Now, filmmaker Rob Reiner is releasing a podcast to investigate some of the mysteries around the shooting.
BETTMANN//GETTY IMAGES

I've seen the church in Newport several times, and it's incredible - it's in a busy little tourist town in Newport and the church is its main attraction, at least for me... I was so excited to see it on my first visit! Of course, there's a nice favorite Mexican restaurant of mine there, too. Not a seafood person... lol

@LIFE
The marriage of John F. Kennedy and Jacqueline Bouvier in Rhode Island on September 12, 1953, was national news.LIFE magazine sent photographer Lisa Larsen, to cover the highly publicized event. Her photos from the occasion offer not only a before-and-after record of the nuptials, but a surprisingly intimate chronicle of one of the most high-profile American weddings of the 20th century.

1702232548472.png
1:18 PM · Sep 12, 2023

See more, below! https://life.com/people/photos-jfk-and-jackies-wedding-1953/
( Lisa Larsen/LIFE Picture Collection)

[...]

[...]

I'll give this podcast a listen. I was looking for a new podcast this morning anyway. I'm not sure how much credence I give to Rob Reiner or Soledad, but I'll give them a chance.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Monkeybean
Back