TX TX - Samantha Broberg, 33, missing from Carnival cruise ship, 13 May 2016

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure you can fall off the boat. The rails go just below chest level. There's many people that have fallen/gone missing on boats vacation.
How terrible for her and her family.

A "boat" vacation is different. If you own a boat, or your friend owns one, or you rent one and pilot it, you can certainly fall off it. Absolutely.

A commercial passenger cruise ship is different, and are designed so that you can't slip whoopsie and go into the sea. Even that cruise ship a couple years ago that endured hurricane like conditions where the ship was tossed around for hours at a 45 degree angle lost no passengers.

From investigative photos it appears she must have "fallen overboard" on Lido or Panorama deck, as opposed to climbing a railing between balcony staterooms or from the Promenade deck.

From investigative photos it appears she must have "fallen overboard" on Lido or Panorama deck, as opposed to climbing a railing between balcony staterooms or from the Promenade deck.

Sorry, what are you quoting? Also, the fact that they don't know which deck it was sounds like they don't have video of the incident.

(And yes, they will use the word "fallen" even if the person had to climb up on something in order to do the falling. They will often use neutral language even when they have video evidence that the person jumped.)

I'm going to assume people who are implying you could easily have a few beers and slip off the side of a large cruise ship have never actually been on one, and leave it at that. I understand people may choose to hold other opinions.

Sorry, what are you quoting? Also, the fact that they don't know which deck it was sounds like they don't have video of the incident.

(And yes, they will use the word "fallen" even if the person had to climb up on something in order to do the falling. They will often use neutral language even when they have video evidence that the person jumped.)

I'm going to assume people who are implying you could easily have a few beers and slip off the side of a large cruise ship have never actually been on one, and leave it at that. I understand people may choose to hold other opinions.

It's all in the news.

The ship reported that a surveillance video showed a woman falling overboard about 2 a.m. Friday

From the photos it appears she went overboard on the Panorama deck, one deck up from Lido (pool deck), I see some sort of extended ledge off the balcony rail?

34266C6800000578-3590089-image-m-14_1463204099257.jpg
34266C6000000578-3590089-image-m-13_1463204073065.jpg

I don't see the extended ledge you're seeing, Jersey Girl. I see a railing that would have come up to about her armpits.

The media is saying "fell" over, but those who have seen the video are saying things like she 'went overboard'.

I don't see the extended ledge you're seeing, Jersey Girl. I see a railing that would have come up to about her armpits.

The media is saying "fell" over, but those who have seen the video are saying things like she 'went overboard'.

The white piece of metal sticking out from the balcony rail. I don't know if it is a platform with stairs going down or what, similar to fire escape stairs. You'd clearly have to climb over the railing to step onto it.

I think the thing you're seeing is the flat surface that the railing top is affixed to. It looks to be maybe 8 inches wide. But if you look, the footings holding the rail top take up that whole space - I don't think you could get a foothold for longer than a few seconds because the railing on top makes it impossible to put your feet on the surface.

And if she "fell" from there, I'd call that "jumping".

I had just read about the woman overboard on NBC website before noticing the discussion here. More than 30 cruises for me, and I agree that it is nearly impossible for someone to "accidentally" fall overboard. Passengers are warned (usually during muster drill when dangers of fire onboard are also addressed) about climbing, standing, sitting on balcony or deck railings. Parents are urged to refrain from holding children on railings or posing them on railings for photos. It's up to passengers to heed such warnings, but there are actually very few places on a cruise vessel where one could fall directly into the water without some type of self-propulsion. :moo:

I had just read about the woman overboard on NBC website before noticing the discussion here. More than 30 cruises for me, and I agree that it is nearly impossible for someone to "accidentally" fall overboard. Passengers are warned (usually during muster drill when dangers of fire onboard are also addressed) about climbing, standing, sitting on balcony or deck railings. Parents are urged to refrain from holding children on railings or posing them on railings for photos. It's up to passengers to heed such warnings, but there are actually very few places on a cruise vessel where one could fall directly into the water without some type of self-propulsion. :moo:

Another frequent cruiser, and I concur.

And if she "fell" from there, I'd call that "jumping".

Agree.
On the media using the word "fell" , I've seen media reports that describe a person as having "fallen" from e.g. a bridge even when there's cctv or LE witnesses that make it clear the person went over from the bridge purposefully and voluntarily. The media is given guidance on how to report on suicides and I think this is where the use of "fell" comes from, but it can be misleading, because for many readers "fell" implies accidental. JMO

"Although any one incident is unfortunate, out of more than 22 million cruise passengers in 2014, there were 18 overboard incidents, or about one for every 1.25 million passengers."

At present, 90% of cruise lines do not employ an MOB (man overboard) alarm system designed to sound on the bridge or at other centralised security station when it detects a person overboard.

http://www.ship-technology.com/feat...ction-tech-be-fitted-on-cruise-ships-4583685/

Just leaning on the railing isn't going to make you fall over, and most newer ships have really good stabilizers. It's very hard for anyone to accidentally fall off, otherwise cruise lines would be out of business for lawsuits.

Relevant thread over here. Note that snark is high over here, but there are people like chengpk75 who really know their stuff about maritime law and engineering.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=49976025#post49976025

You got that right ;) DH and I used to be active on CC (mainly Princess board), hosted several roll calls/onboard meet & greets, and contributed many cruise reviews. Not sure what happened, but the general nastiness and snark became almost intolerable. We canceled our memberships a few years ago and rarely visit the site any more.

:tyou: Websleuths moderators who maintain a high level of decorum here.

You got that right ;) DH and I used to be active on CC (mainly Princess board), hosted several roll calls/onboard meet & greets, and contributed many cruise reviews. Not sure what happened, but the general nastiness and snark became almost intolerable. We canceled our memberships a few years ago and rarely visit the site any more.

:tyou: Websleuths moderators who maintain a high level of decorum here.

(I'm only one year into cruising and Cruise Critic, and man that was a rude awakening. The mods only care about making sure you don't tell anyone the name of your travel agent (so you will use their booking portal instead) and they won't let you exchange PMs or email addresses with anyone. It's awful, but still seems to be the most active site. Next trip for me three weeks from tomorrow!)

No need to spread FUD.

FUD?

And the reason the media loves making a huge deal out of norovirus on cruise ships is because cruise ships, unlike hotels and other dense tourist destinations, are REQUIRED to report gastro illness past a certain % to the CDC.

I was under the impression that the reason the media make so much of norovirus outbreaks is that there are simply so many of them, and that as cruise ships have become bigger and bigger the number of people affected in any outbreak has also grown. I've never been on a cruise personally but from what I've read the problem lies with a small number of passengers who are ill, know they are ill, but board anyway. Then they spread the infection to a significant proportion of others on board.

Agree.
On the media using the word "fell" , I've seen media reports that describe a person as having "fallen" from e.g. a bridge even when there's cctv or LE witnesses that make it clear the person went over from the bridge purposefully and voluntarily. The media is given guidance on how to report on suicides and I think this is where the use of "fell" comes from, but it can be misleading, because for many readers "fell" implies accidental. JMO

I also agree. The media aren't going to say "jumped" or "suicide" unless and until there's an official ruling saying so.

And "fell" is accurate even if the the event that initiated the fall was on purpose. First you jump, then you fall.

This woman fell. She may or may not have jumped on purpose, but she fell from the ship into the water.

I also agree. The media aren't going to say "jumped" or "suicide" unless and until there's an official ruling saying so.

And "fell" is accurate even if the the event that initiated the fall was on purpose. First you jump, then you fall.

This woman fell. She may or may not have jumped on purpose, but she fell from the ship into the water.

I hate to split hairs, but some media is saying "went overboard", which is completely correct however she happened to end up in the sea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Child in Time