TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just saw that she was a marijuana user. She should not have been driving in this case because she was under the influence. And, he most certainly would have smelled it on her! This could have given the officer cause to ask her to put out the cigarette and ask her to step out of the car, on top of her general lack of cooperation. Sort of life, "if you aren't going to cooperate, then let's go downtown". He knew he was dealing with someone who thought that the rules did not apply to her, so he had to be firm, had to insist she comply, and she chose not to do so. Why would she be smoking pot 2 days before starting a new job anyway? The support of her behavior shows where the country's principles are going, sadly.

With all due respect, we don't have this information. Marijuana can stay in your system for weeks, and in some cases months. There are links to this information earlier in the thread I believe.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

She was being a smart a'. I agree that if she had just bit her tongue and taken the ticket she would have been on her way in minutes. She/her family are from Naperville - a highly desired area. http://time.com/money/3312345/naperville-il-best-places-to-live/ http://livability.com/top-10/families/10-best-cities-families/2015/illinois/naperville

She should have known better. IDK what made her behave the way she did, but sometimes people are responsible for their actions and the consequences, regardless of race. Sandra was in the wrong here. I'm a little confused over why she chose TX. I'm curious about that......... it isn't necessarily a place I'd expect someone who isn't ultra conservative to choose.

She went to college there and had gotten a job with her alma mater.

Haven't read any of this thread and not going to. I suspect that many have taken the position that only one side can be right and one side is wrong. Bottom line is she was wrong for being rude and disrespectful, but being rude and disrespectful is not against the law and officers are supposed to be trained to rise above that mentality, or at least that is what I ask of the officers for whom I pay their salary. This officer was on a power trip and didn't like the fact that she refused to obey unlawful orders and things escalated from there. Both contributed to create the situation. One is supposed to rise above a criminal or ****gish (or whatever word you want to attach to it) type of mind set.

In the bigger picture, the continuing conflict will continue to grow until those in the profession and/or those with family and friends in the profession can start to admit their wrongs. I suspect that most have taken the same stance in nearly every single case that has been brought up involving an officer and they lose credibility because of that. It is as predictable as the day is long and that mentality will continue to foster the divide between segments of society and law enforcement. That and the need for officers to learn that I don't have to obey them or listen to them or hell, even listen to them, unless it is lawful under situation. Until they get rid of the arrogance that leads to them believing that ANY order they give should be obeyed, that divide will continue to grow.

Thanks just isn't enough. This was beautifully written. I think it's very hard for folks who have not had these difficult experiences with law enforcement to understand what it must feel like to be treated as a suspect all the time, no matter what.

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/07/2...land-and-our-vulnerable-bodies.html?referrer=

For almost 18 grisly minutes, Eugene savaged his victim, punching him and stripping the man’s pants before gnawing off the homeless man’s face — all as cars and cyclists rolled by on the busy causeway on a sunny Saturday afternoon.
Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/special-reports/causeway-attack/article1940245.html#storylink=cpy

The toxicology report has come in on Rudy Eugene, the perpetrator of a brutal face-eating attack on a Miami causeway that left a homeless man permanently disfigured. After weeks of breathless speculation about the drugs that could have caused this case of zombie cannibalism — namely so-called bath salts — the Miami-Dade medical examiner found no such drug in Eugene’s system.

The sole substance detected? Marijuana.
http://healthland.time.com/2012/06/27/the-cannabis-cannibal-miami-face-eater-didnt-take-bath-salts/

PHOTOS.... WARNING GRAPHIC... Just marijuana in the guys system that did this... http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/ronald-poppo-face-chewing_n_1590459.html

i am not for drugs of any kind. But BATH SALTS are NOT mj

Does anyone know at what point in the altercation, the alleged kick took place? BE told her that she was under arrest while she was still sitting in the car. Did the kick take place while she was sitting in the car? Her "arrest" and charge were reportedly for assaulting a public servant. But it appears that the kick happened after she was arrested. So for what was she originally arrested?

That is common for the way police do things in this country. Just like when they talk to somebody who has broken no laws. Then they start to hand cuff the person (for officer safety). The person in surprise pulls away and says, "what are you doing?" (a total normal human reaction). The cop then body slams them to the ground, and causes as much injury as possible, and finishes handcuffing them. Then charges them with resisting arrest. Thats their only charge, resisting arrest. The cops make a crime out of nothing.

i am not for drugs of any kind. But BATH SALTS are NOT mj

They haven't detected any bath salts in a tox screen in that case. Now, they might have been there and not detectable, but that would be a total speculation.

As of june 19,2015 it looks like 4 states allow recreational use and 18 allow for medical use, less then half doesn't seem to be many to me and medical uses doesn't really count to me either so to me there are 4 states that allow the use of marijuana, having prescription for something is different then just buying it on the street. jmo idk

http://www.governing.com/gov-data/state-marijuana-laws-map-medical-recreational.html

I consider almost half the states to be many. It will soon be a majority.

So was she arrested or charged with that? Apparently she did not show any behaviors when being booked?

No, she was not. Thats what the autopsy showed.

But she had a 'tone' as well. When he came to the drivers side window and she said in a very rude condescending way ' just waiting on you, this is your job...etc'

SB was a long time activist against police brutality. She had her own inner hostility and anger towards this officer that was evident to him.

You say your gut tells you he is an abuser. You may be right. But mine tells me that she was rude and hostile towards LE. And that is a gut instinct that I trust as well.

People here are so quick to berate him for being rude and yet they seem to applaud her for being the same way. Like it is OK or even a positive thing for her to be hostile and obstinate. JMO

The cop had an attitude from the start - asking her why she was irritated etc. He knew what he was doing, he was baiting her and unfortunately she took the bait. She was annoyed to have been pulled over for what I think was a petty traffic stop - changing lanes without signalling in what looked to be a fairly traffic free road. Then he played his little cat and mouse game with her - ever increasing his own attitude - knowing full well he was getting her more irritated. Cops should be used to getting attitude- that's part of their job. It's unfortunate for them but they chose their line of work. The cop in this traffic stop was either thin-skinned and took offense to her irritation at being stopped and her responses to his baiting questions or a just plain abusive guy who shouldn't be wearing a badge. You have to give respect to get respect - he didn't respect her one iota from the the get-go. IMO.

Just saw that she was a marijuana user. She should not have been driving in this case because she was under the influence. And, he most certainly would have smelled it on her! This could have given the officer cause to ask her to put out the cigarette and ask her to step out of the car, on top of her general lack of cooperation. Sort of life, "if you aren't going to cooperate, then let's go downtown". He knew he was dealing with someone who thought that the rules did not apply to her, so he had to be firm, had to insist she comply, and she chose not to do so. Why would she be smoking pot 2 days before starting a new job anyway? The support of her behavior shows where the country's principles are going, sadly.

Yet, the Custodial Death Report (see pg. 2 of the pdf) indicates she did not appear intoxicated from either drugs and/or alcohol at the time of the incident/arrest.

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2015/07/sandra-bland-autopsy-custodial-death-report

Does anyone know at what point in the altercation, the alleged kick took place? BE told her that she was under arrest while she was still sitting in the car. Did the kick take place while she was sitting in the car? Her "arrest" and charge were reportedly for assaulting a public servant. But it appears that the kick happened after she was arrested. So for what was she originally arrested?

After she steps out of the vehicle, the trooper orders her to the side of the road, where the confrontation continues off-camera but is still audible. The officer says in an arrest affidavit that she swung her elbows at him and kicked his shin after being handcuffed.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ok-at-the-death-of-sandra-bland-in-texas-jail

Bland’s arrest takes place outside the camera range, but the audio continued.

At first, Encinia approaches Bland's vehicle and takes her license and registration before returning to the police cruiser. The officer returns to the driver's side and asks Bland to put out her cigarette. She refuses.

Encinia shouts at her to obey his orders and to get out of the car. He reaches through the open driver's-side door after Bland refuses to comply and pulls out a Taser. “Get out of the car,” he said. “I will light you up. Get out. Now. Get out of the car.”

After a few moments, Encinia steps back and Bland gets out of the car. The exchange grows more animated and hostile.

“You're about to break my wrist,” Bland is heard to say. At one point, she shouts, “You're a real man now!”

Throughout, Bland is questioning why she is being arrested and often shouts expletives. Encinia responds in angry tones that she should obey his orders.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-sandra-bland-arrest-experts-20150722-story.html

Looks like it happened out of dash cam view.

After she steps out of the vehicle, the trooper orders her to the side of the road, where the confrontation continues off-camera but is still audible. The officer says in an arrest affidavit that she swung her elbows at him and kicked his shin after being handcuffed.

http://www.usnews.com/news/us/artic...ok-at-the-death-of-sandra-bland-in-texas-jail

Bland’s arrest takes place outside the camera range, but the audio continued.

At first, Encinia approaches Bland's vehicle and takes her license and registration before returning to the police cruiser. The officer returns to the driver's side and asks Bland to put out her cigarette. She refuses.

Encinia shouts at her to obey his orders and to get out of the car. He reaches through the open driver's-side door after Bland refuses to comply and pulls out a Taser. “Get out of the car,” he said. “I will light you up. Get out. Now. Get out of the car.”

After a few moments, Encinia steps back and Bland gets out of the car. The exchange grows more animated and hostile.

“You're about to break my wrist,” Bland is heard to say. At one point, she shouts, “You're a real man now!”

Throughout, Bland is questioning why she is being arrested and often shouts expletives. Encinia responds in angry tones that she should obey his orders.

http://www.latimes.com/nation/la-na-sandra-bland-arrest-experts-20150722-story.html

Looks like it happened out of dash cam view.

BBM- did any of the witnesses corroborate that she kicked him? I don't remember reading if they did or didn't.

Well I just watched the video for the first time and only watched it up to her saying, let's do this.. just before she does get out... and all I got to say is she was not doing anything to help herself in the situation. The minute she did not produce her license when asked the first time he was on to her right then as I would have been. This video should be used as an example of how NOT to act when pulled over by a law enforcement officer. And unless there was a yield sign and not a stop sign then from what I saw she failed to stop at a stop sign when she exited that rd on the left when he turned and followed her, that too should be on the ticket. jmo idk.

How is a woman with previous suicidal tendencies hanging herself a case of negligence?

Really?

Because they knew she had previous suicidal tendencies and failed to have her on any kind of suicide watch. Legally, once a person is in state custody, it is the state's responsibility to keep him/her safe. That is clear negligence on their part.

I'd agree that they wouldn't be responsible if she had never had a previous suicide attempt, no history of depression or any other red flags indicating the potential of suicide. But she had multiple glaring red flags.

I was wondering about witnesses myself. In this day and age everyone has a phone on hand and are eager to record everything. You can hear the officer repeatedly telling someone or people "you need to leave" when out of sight of the dashcam. I think I saw
some vehicles turning around when he is at the car trying to get her out. Hmm... jmo

Has anyone seen anything with street names on it? I'd love to see a map of the area.

Also was there a time stamp on the video? I can't remember and I just can't watch it again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member