TX - Sandra Bland, 28, found dead in jail cell, Waller County, 13 July 2015 #2

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just curious but are you aware of her history of defending the likes of Mike Brown? IMO they were both looking for a fight and it got out of control. It's easy to place all of the blame on the LEO because that is the narrative the MSM reports and so many jump on the bandwagon

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No, it is easy to place blame on the LEO because he is the so called professional. JMO

I noticed the info about the leaf - I hadn't joined the dots. Just awful [emoji17]

The police are not meant to be judge and jury. HOW does a woman end up in custody for 3 days when there was no pretext for arresting her in the first place?! I can't get my head around it.

There was pretext for her arrest. MSNBC and CNN saying there wasn't doesn't make it so.

Sounds like she wasn't even allowed to shower for the 3 days she was there! I don't know policy and procedure, but that seems extreme as well. (maybe not)

I think that might be typical actually. I know someone who was held for two days in a holding cell and it was little more than a sparse waiting room. No bed and no showers. This was in Texas too.

How does a leaf in her back equal excessive force? I think some desperately want this case to be something it is clearly not.

Because the leaf was embedded in a cut she got when the officer slammed her on the ground? <modsnip>

He walks to drivers window--she meets him with ' Im waiting on YOU, its your job...bla bla...' she was being rude and condescending for no reason. He asked her politely, if she wouldn't mind putting out her cig and she went all civil rights on him. There was no need for that. He made a polite request and she answered rudely.

My opinion is that the most crucial element of the job is to keep people safe - call me an idealist, naive or whatever! - did the LE's actions make anyone safer? Does anyone deserve to be threatened to be yanked out of their car for refusing to put out a cigarette - an attitude you may find objectionable, but not illegal? And then ACTUALLY physically grappled with to the point they end up covered in bruises? Leaving aside the fact that she ends up in custody and then dead [emoji17]

This heavy-handedness should NOT be routine. I believe that it doesn't matter how much one feels goaded, a LE should never react with anger. They carry lethal weapons!

Her being confrontational was pretext . Try again

Sorry I genuinely had no idea that being 'confrontational' is a legal pretext for arrest. That's really worrying since that's such a subjective term. Look how many interpretations of the interaction we've come up with just here.

My opinion is that the most crucial element of the job is to keep people safe - call me an idealist, naive or whatever! - did the LE's actions make anyone safer? Does anyone deserve to be threatened to be yanked out of their car for refusing to put out a cigarette - an attitude you may find objectionable, but not illegal? And then ACTUALLY physically grappled with to the point they end up covered in bruises? Leaving aside the fact that she ends up in custody and then dead [emoji17]

This heavy-handedness should NOT be routine. I believe that it doesn't matter how much one feels goaded, a LE should never react with anger. They carry lethal weapons!

I don't feel safer. IMO this wasn't about keeping anyone safer or keeping the peace, this was about his own emotions and lack of control.

Thank god I've never been pulled over! I'd like to think I'd be polite in those circumstances BUT if a LE tailgated me, pulled me over, asked why I was irritable, then got arsey over my reply.... Maybe I would start to lose my cool!

If I was of a different background, probability dictates I would have been pulled over at least once in my lifetime due to racial profiling where I live.

I honest to god don't think anyone here gets pulled over for not using their signal. They'd be arresting every second person sometimes!

Now you know. Try being a smart *advertiser censored* next time you are pulled over and see how that plays out. Reasonable people take the medicine and sort it out later.

... The idea that someone has to meekly submit to one's fate if pulled over by a LE is something I am really struggling to fathom, tbh.

So she shares no blame? Got it. <modsnip>

Sure she has personal responsibility just like everyone else. But being a little snarky is not against the law. Violating someone's rights, especially when you have taken an oath as a peace office, is.
That is the difference.

<modsnip>

Sorry I genuinely had no idea that being 'confrontational' is a legal pretext for arrest. That's really worrying since that's such a subjective term. Look how many interpretations of the interaction we've come up with just here.

Noncompliance to lawful order (step out of car) is even if in response to battling egos.

... The idea that someone has to meekly submit to one's fate if pulled over by a LE is something I am really struggling to fathom, tbh.

No one said be meek. How about respectful and not confrontational? That seems to work in my world

The Guardian published an article today, pointing out some details that explain some of the errors and inconsistencies in information released that have resulted in much skepticism.
Sandra Bland: suspicion and mistrust flourish amid official inconsistencies
Critics say scepticism is justified as evidence made public has only raised more questions about a young black woman&#8217;s death in police custody in rural Texas
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-suspicion-mistrust-official-inconsistencies

While the subsequent physical struggle between Encinia and Bland unfolded out of the camera&#8217;s view, audible pleadings from Bland have cast doubt over Encinia&#8217;s claims in the report that she assaulted him. The trooper was also captured telling Bland to stop recording the encounter on her cellphone, which she was entitled to do under US law.

At the same time, Encinia&#8217;s threatening to &#8220;light up&#8221; Bland with his Taser &#8211; also captured in the dashcam video &#8211; was not the first time a police officer in the county has attracted controversy for pointing a weapon at an African American who later died during a confrontation over a minor alleged offence.

More at link.

The Guardian published an article today, pointing out some details that explain some of the errors and inconsistencies in information released that have resulted in much skepticism.
Sandra Bland: suspicion and mistrust flourish amid official inconsistencies
Critics say scepticism is justified as evidence made public has only raised more questions about a young black woman&#8217;s death in police custody in rural Texas
http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...d-suspicion-mistrust-official-inconsistencies

More at link.

We are not allowed to post political blogs which is understandable. But I think the Guardian is pretty close to a political blog. They have a very leftist anti-cop agenda, imo. Here is their description:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Guardian
Wikipedia
The Guardian is a self-described centre-left British national daily newspaper. Founded in 1821 as a local paper replacing the radical Manchester Observer, ...

ETA: from the link:

The deaths of Brown, Gray, Eric Garner and other high-profile cases occurred in big urban areas, but this crisis enveloped small-town Texas, where 45,000 people live in a county larger than New York City. A torrent of protests in person and on social media and the national and international mainstream media attention gave the impression that a small staff was besieged and overwhelmed, with reporters&#8217; questions going unanswered and the apparent lack of a clear communications strategy only adding to the perception of a lack of transparency.

Theories flourished not only in the information void but when details were released in attempts to quell doubts. Such details included jail footage recorded during Bland&#8217;s last hours, which did not show the inside of her cell, or even give a clear view of the door, did not have sound and had nine minutes missing because the camera was motion-sensitive and only recorded when there was movement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member