TX - Scott Buchholtz-Sanchez, 3 wks, decapitated, San Antonio, July 2009 *Insanity*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I agree with this post-I think that this woman will absolutely pay the price for this horror once she is brought back to herself. Imagine, just imagine when she is brought back to being able to think clearly and to realize what she did. OMG. There are no words.

I am a HUGE advocate for testing the day after delivery. There is a physician by the name of Dr Klaiber who wrote a book called Hormones and the Mind, IIRC. He believes that women who will suffer PPD and the like can be dx'd as soon as the day after delivery but easily within 3 wks by drawing blood and measuring the recovery of their hormones after birth.

The only problem with this, is that sometimes its not a case of excess or not enough of the right hormones. Sometimes its just a sensitivity to hormones which wont show up on a test, so those as risk could be overlooked if their hormone levels seem normal.
I guess nothing is foolproof.

Every woman who gives birth should be educated about the possibility of PPD and PPP, and given a magnet or something with an emergency contact number for them to call when they hear voices, or are just not coping.
That way, even if the mom isn't in the right frame of mind to call, someone else in the home can.

JMO

I was just wondering what the baby's father was thinking when he decided to have unprotected sex with a lady that has been diagnosed with a mental illness. Did he not stop to think for one minute about bringing a baby into the world, and if she would be able to cope, and what quality of life it would mean for the baby?

Does anyone know the baby's fathers history?

Quite clearly in this case, the lady was in desperate need of help. Maybe the sister was unable to understand what she was going through, maybe she didnt know how to help. But i can guarnatee that she had no idea that her sister was going to cut and and eat her little baby. It seemed like she was trying to help her sister and we wern't there so we dont know why she gave the baby back to her that night.

This lady had been diagnosed with a mental illness and she was having a breakdown and the hosptial sent her home. Maybe she wasnt taking her meds for whatever reason, but surely the hosptial should have picked up on this? She must have previous notes on her notes telling them of her mental state, im also pretty sure they must have known that she had a 3 week old baby at home. This would raise a red flag to me, so not too sure what went on at the hosptial and what they were thinking sending her home. Not making excuses for her, but I am not in her shoes and because i would class myself as in a normal thinking frame of mind, how could I possibly know what this woman was thinking and experiencing?

Just seems such a very sad case on both sides, as maybe this lady could have been helped and maybe her little boy could still be alive.

Just my opinion.

IIRC, dad claims to be a schizophrenic as well.

FWIW, it sounds to me like her family was exhausted-a moment of poor judgement to give her the baby and try and get some sleep....imagine the realization of what had happened...how that would wash over you what your simple act had set in motion.

I cannot get over how this represents the worst of everything-from healthcare issues, to mental health care issues, women's issues, child issues....a perfect storm.

If ever there was some kind of reform needed, this case could be the lightening rod for all of it....and any legislation coming out of it should be named for this poor angel.

IIRC, dad claims to be a schizophrenic as well.

FWIW, it sounds to me like her family was exhausted-a moment of poor judgement to give her the baby and try and get some sleep....imagine the realization of what had happened...how that would wash over you what your simple act had set in motion.

I cannot get over how this represents the worst of everything-from healthcare issues, to mental health care issues, women's issues, child issues....a perfect storm.

If ever there was some kind of reform needed, this case could be the lightening rod for all of it....and any legislation coming out of it should be named for this poor angel.

Thanks for the info. I completely agree with your post.

Mom who mutilated newborn enters plea

A San Antonio woman accused of killing and mutilating her baby pleaded not guilty by reason of insanity Thursday.

At the conclusion of a brief hearing, state District Judge Raymond Angelini ordered Otty Sanchez, 33, to be confined to the North Texas State Hospital Vernon campus, which houses maximum security psychiatric patients.
---
Otty Sanchez will be brought back before the judge within 30 days, after the hospital evaluates her mental competency again. After that, she will be brought back to court annually.

Although it is possible she could be deemed “cured” at some point and released into society, the possibility is slim, her attorney said outside the courtroom.

“I don't think realistically this is ever the type of thing that can be cured,” [defense attorney Ed] Camara said.

and more, at
http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/mom_who_mutilated_newborn_enters_plea_97608114.html

Very sad. Mental health care workers need to be vigilant about what their clients might do regarding posing dangers to themselves and others.

MJ

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NNT1
Back