TX - Shanna, 36, & Diederik Vandewege, 3 mos, slain, Fort Worth, 15 Dec 2016 *GUILTY*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I'm sorry - I would never lawyer up if my baby had his throat slashed. I would rather go to
prison. Nothing matters more than my child. I know - everyone is going to disagree w/ me -
but that is how I feel. I asked hubby - he said basically the same thing, he would never
lawyer up - we don't care if LE thinks what they think. I guess, again, that's the norm again,
hire a lawyer - don't cooperate w/ LE. Really?

I don't disagree with you. I wouldn't lawyer up either, unless it seemed clear that LE was getting ready to charge me.

Wonder if CV refused to take a poly after some of his account didn't add up or wasn't verifiable? Sometimes that's considered 'not cooperating'.

I'd take a poly if my child (or other loved one) was missing or murdered and I needed to clear myself so the investigation could move forward, even though I don't trust them. I would not take a poly under many other circumstances though.

Lawyering up and/or refusing to take a poly doesn't mean the suspect is guilty, of course, and everybody's different. I know that a lot people here and elsewhere say they would do both, no matter the circumstances.

Killing a tiny baby takes a special breed of monster, for sure. :cry:

One of the only things that comes to mind is pure rage, anger, jealousy.

Sp maybe the angry ex boyfriend scenario---coming to find revenge?

Or the jealous girlfriend or ex of the husband? Women can be very evil and cruel when they feel betrayed.

Or perhaps the husband found out he was not the father?

Or he lied to someone in town, who was shocked to find out he had a wife and a baby?

I agree, those are the likely scenarios. I think most likely is he had another woman who freaked out when SV moved to FW. Like Glenn Close in Fatal Attraction. Because if he'd suspected SV having had an affair and that guy being the killer he would fully cooperate with LE I think. Not so if it was him who had the affair because if he implicates her she might say it was all his idea.

My comments below are in general and not specifically directed at CV.

Pregnant and postpartum women statistically are at higher risk of homicide from their partner. Statistically, most homicides are usually committed by someone the victim knows.

Sociopaths often wear the mask of normalcy (think Scott Peterson). They are not "normal" people with normal human emotions. That's why the can commit such heinous crimes because they don't have a conscience. They are only motivated by what they want and achieving their desires. Other people do not matter. They are disposable. Sociopaths use people for their own gratification.

If Scott Peterson wanted to live the single life why did he just not divorce his wife? Why did he kill his wife and unborn son? Why did hot car dad leave his child in the car to die? Too busy sexting. Why did he just not leave his marriage?

So many of these cases follow a similar trajectory. Sociopathic individual is unhappy being a spouse, provider, parent so they kill their spouse, kids, etc. They always think they are smart enough to get away with it and outsmart law enforcement.

Whoever killed SV and DV wanted them both eliminated. Now whether this was some unknown assailant or someone known to SV only time will tell. Hopefully CV and his attorney will work with LE.

I find CV's behavior to be extremely odd. I live in the area and the local media has been really, really hushed. Why would he not want to cooperate with the police? Why not use the media to your advantage by being out in front of a camera and screaming at the top of your lungs to help find the killer. Haven't heard a peep out of him. His actions are not "normal". I'm quite sure the police are zeroed in on him. A previous poster on here showed CV's email is associated with multiple dating sites. I'm sure LE is looking how recent he has used the sites.

Fort Worth mom & baby murdered, husband no longer cooperating with police
FORT WORTH, Texas - Fort Worth police say a man whose wife and infant son were found murdered last week has hired a lawyer and is no longer cooperating with investigators.

Craig Vandewege called police Thursday night claiming he came home to find his 36-year-old wife, Shanna, and their 3-month-old son, Diederik, dead. The medical examiner’s office said their necks were cut . . .
More at link . . . http://www.fox4news.com/news/224869385-story

I know I am not alone, but I would lawyer up if I felt LE was pushing something on me. I've seen cases where LE has harassed someone enough to confess to a murder. If they would of had a lawyer present maybe it wouldn't have happen. Even getting a lawyer, they still catch the bad guys.

But to me it seems they can't clear the husband, maybe the time from him leaving work to getting home is not adding up. It could be anything, possible affair. If it is true about dating sites, that have been used recently then yeah he got some explaining to do.

Shanna's family were set to visit SV & CV this week for Xmas and meet the baby for the first time.

To answer a question asked upthread:

Family are considered victims unless/until specifically and officially named as either a POI or suspect. In other words, CV is off-limits for sleuthing but you may discuss what is said in MSM. You cannot speculate on his involvement or make accusations or insinuations against him.

Just bringing this post forward as a reminder.

CV is off limits for sleuthing.

I totally agree with you R@ngers#1. I also live in the area. My daughter attended Chisholm Ridge Elementry from K-5. I just don't buy the spurned lover or baby killing stranger theories. Most people would be using the media to assist them or to bring attention to the case.

I know I am not alone, but I would lawyer up if I felt LE was pushing something on me. I've seen cases where LE has harassed someone enough to confess to a murder. If they would of had a lawyer present maybe it wouldn't have happen. Even getting a lawyer, they still catch the bad guys.

But to me it seems they can't clear the husband, maybe the time from him leaving work to getting home is not adding up. It could be anything, possible affair. If it is true about dating sites, that have been used recently then yeah he got some explaining to do.

Me too, I would definitely lawyer up. Plus we don't know what LE were saying to him, they might have been openly accusing him and trying to trick him into incriminating himself (yes, you can trick an innocent person into incriminating themselves).

Of course, I would also lawyer up if I was guilty. I don't think we can infer innocence or guilt from him lawyering up.

Why no interviews with family and or CV?
Why is no one screaming we have to find the murderers?
How was SV and baby found in bed, still wearing there pajamas or what?
When was the last time anyone saw Momma and baby?
on and on...........
Why is it so difficult to learn simple facts about all these cases?

Did anyone else find this statement interesting?“Ms. Barrows will be overshadowing the pretrial investigation for now,” said the paralegal, who would only identify herself by her first name, Caitlin. http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article121971809.html#storylink=cpyJust strikes me as odd, in that the attorney's rep makes it seem like CV has been charged and there's a trial forthcoming.
Very odd wording. She would have to be very inexperienced to use "pretrial" in her statement. She was smart enough not to give her last name.

Lawyering up is not the problem here... the not cooperating is. To me, anyway.

MOO

Yes.

And IIRC ToS here prohibits posts linking to those fundraising pages/sites, which is why I did not link.

Even though those sites can be a boon to donees and a convenience to harried donors, it's a crying shame that baddies use to scam others. More than a shame, as you noted, criminal.
yikes! i was unaware of that rule and i've been on this site for years. thanks for pointing that out. it won't happen again.

funerals are expensive. sometimes ppl don't have a lot of savings.

I guess this is the norm nowadays, although I don't know why. I'm from a very small
town and our local obits request donations to . IMO - Absurd.

im willing to bet shipping and receiving and stocking staff might work nights.

the 2 nearest me both close at 8:30. But I imagine many employees are there until 9 or 9:30, closing up and counting out. I think CV might have been in a management position.

leaving the second interview on monday to retain a lawyer says to me LEs line of questioning may have been accusatory, no? it would seem to me that if CV did do this he would have retained a criminal lawyer, not one who practices family law. anyone have any theories on that?

Did anyone else find this statement interesting?

“Ms. Barrows will be overshadowing the pretrial investigation for now,” said the paralegal, who would only identify herself by her first name, Caitlin. http://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/community/fort-worth/article121971809.html#storylink=cpy

Just strikes me as odd, in that the attorney's rep makes it seem like CV has been charged and there's a trial forthcoming.

Yes, odd, "pre-trial" = unexpected wording, at least to me too.

Ditto, "overshadowing the pre-trial investigation." * bbm
Maybe she actually used another word? Maybe reporter misunderstood? IDK.

• tower above and cast a shadow over:
    "an enormous oak tree stood overshadowing the cottage"
    synonyms: cast a shadow over ·
    shade · darken · conceal · obscure · screen · [more]
    dominate · overlook
    • cast a gloom over:
      "it is easy to let this feeling of tragedy overshadow his story"
      synonyms: cast gloom over ·
      blight · take the edge off · mar · spoil · ruin
  • appear much more prominent or important than:
    "his competitive nature often overshadows the other qualities"

https://en.oxforddictionaries.com/definition/overshadow