Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #5 *Arrest*

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
From my experience as a VICTIM I was interviewed several times over a short amount of time and the SHORTEST interview was 14 hours of questioning, with no food or water offered, in a small room with two chairs and a desk and a camera aimed at me. I was the victim, and it was clearly the same room they used for all interrogations. If Sini was with LE for even two or three "interviews" and they all lasted 8 or so hours, I can easily understand the extreme exhaustion and the mentality that she has better things to focus on, like coming up with a plan for her living arrangements, for her daughters living arrangements, her job, how much time can she take off work, will work want her back, will she get her things back from LE or have to come up with more money for that, is WM spending a small fortune or has he drained their accounts on bond and legal fees and so on... Can you imagine having you child in foster care and your other one dead and calling friends and family up and saying "yeah they found her body, it looks like my husband did it, would you mind taking my other child to raise possibly indefinitely?" I mean yes that's what family is for, but the entire family is grieving, it's asking someone to clear out a room, create a home for this child that meets the standards of CPS and to have CPS coming in and out whenever they please. Sini has a TON on her mind right now... if she has said everything she knows and LE is still wanting to interview her more and she has nothing to change or add, why would she go in and put herself through it all AGAIN?
Because he has changed his story. Therefore, they must have new questions that were not asked before. It seems pretty simple to me why they need to interview her again.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

I don't think that's extensive at all. Logically, since her husband's story has changed, LE must now have new questions for her. If she cared at all about justice for her daughter, she'd talk to LE again. It's clear that she doesn't care about justice for Sherin, which makes me wonder how much she cared about Sherin at all.

"Justice" seems a rather vague and elusive conceptualization, even from my distance as an observer behind a computer screen. Will there by more "justice" if WM gets 99 years for murder, as opposed to 99 years for felony child endangering? If he were to be shot at sunrise tomorrow, would justice be any more satisfied?

I cannot imagine living the life of Sini Mathews these past days. The loss of one's child at the hand of one's husband is mind-blowing, life-destroying. Given that reality, how far could any of us go to cooperate with the folks who really want to find a way they can arrest us as well?.

I think they might be doing it to pressure her into talking to them again. It's intimidating, don't you think, when you've been interviewed about your dead child and the police want to keep questioning you, and then they say things in public to implicate you? Maybe they're hoping she comes back so they can question her one more time.

I believe I'm following TOS here - afaik she is still considered a victim. But maybe I'm wrong and she's now a POI/suspect.

I believe she is still considered a victim here . (I was not intending to suggest otherwise.) Since they already have WM in jail on very serious charges, I cannot see any gain in further alienating here or causing her to fear them. That's JMO.

And let's be real, prison for a person who has hurt a child is a lot more than a made up routine... it's living in fear of being killed every single day, every day he is in there, before and after the trial. It's worrying about both CO's and inmates beating him, shanking him, raping him, torturing him and so on. IF he is lucky, he will always be in a prison with protective custody, this is where they tend to keep inmates with these types of charges as it protects them from other inmates, BUT many of these people are still fathers etc and while they have a charge that requires the extra "watch" it doesn't make them exempt from attacking each other... If Wesley is protecting someone else he will have wished he had the death penalty and the protection of death row in a few years... :(
I did speculate the other day that perhaps the OS (older sister) unintentionally did something to Sherin that could have caused her death, given the size difference and the way kids can rough house and so on it could have happened... I feel like ONLY in that case would WM be protecting someone else, and I know that's just my opinion and a huge stretch, however we have seen over the years (thankfully, infrequently) kids causing the death of other kids and parents covering it up... Again this is JMO and I am NOT saying the OS had anything to do with this, just suggesting that IF a parent would be willing to take on the prison system his only motivator would likely be to protect his child and not another adult... again JMO

BBM, From previous conversations on this topic i believe that type of prisoner are kept separate from other types of prisoners. I think that was info. from someone that worked in the prison system.

"Justice" seems a rather vague and elusive conceptualization, even from my distance as an observer behind a computer screen. Will there by more "justice" if WM gets 99 years for murder, as opposed to 99 years for felony child endangering? If he were to be shot at sunrise tomorrow, would justice be any more satisfied?

I cannot imagine living the life of Sini Mathews these past days. The loss of one's child at the hand of one's husband is mind-blowing, life-destroying. Given that reality, how far could any of us go to cooperate with the folks who really want to find a way they can arrest us as well?.
No, justice is not a vague and elusive idea. We have no idea what evidence they have. You act as if it's a foregone conclusion that he will be convicted. It's not. They need to make their case as strong as possible, and given that his story has changed, they need to ask more questions of the one other adult who lived in that house.

Not too much to ask of a caring mother IMO.

"A spokeswoman for the jail said he underwent a mental health evaluation. His answers “raised red flags.” Combined with the high-profile nature of his case, she says a decision was made to place him on suicide watch."

http://dfw.cbslocal.com/2017/10/25/father-deceased-richardson-child-suicide-watch/

I would think that self-loathing might not be atypical of someone in his position. Unless he's a narcissist wrapped in denial. But I don't think a narcissist would have offered even the limited confession he did.

Remorse is not unknown in abusers (among the reasons they are frequently so hard to leave). I am wondering if at least part of the motivation for confessing had to do with an unbearable feeling of guilt.

Because he has changed his story. Therefore, they must have new questions that were not asked before. It seems pretty simple to me why they need to interview her again.

Yes, but even though he changed his story it doesn't mean she is any more aware of things. If this all happened in the night while she was sleeping her story would still be "I don't know what happened other than what I have seen in the media, I was asleep." I am not saying that LE is not doing their job or anything like that, but perhaps the public pressure we are seeing everywhere that has already found Sini and WM guilty is making them act more intrusively than they would be otherwise? Public pressure can have a lot of power and when it involves an officer who is choking back tears when he talks in front of the camera it is hard to know if he is seeking Sini from an emotional place or professional place.

Whatever the case, if Sini was asleep, and she has maintained that she was asleep, bringing her in and saying "was it routine to give milk in the garage?" isn't really going to fill in any blanks... if the answer is yes what does that change? if the answer is no what does that change? what if she doesn't know because he has always been awake with Sherin and allowed her to sleep? I can't imagine the line of questions being much more than stuff about their normal routine like that, and if that is the case, they could always send the lawyer a letter with the couple of questions they do have and ask that Sini speak to them just to clear those up, or they could even suggest they write a written response...
I am NOT saying that Sini shouldn't cooperate. I am just saying that if she has nothing left to add that she should be left to grieve...

No, justice is not a vague and elusive idea. We have no idea what evidence they have. You act as if it's a foregone conclusion that he will be convicted. It's not. They need to make their case as strong as possible, and given that his story has changed, they need to ask more questions of the one other adult who lived in that house.

I don't believe there is any human justice that can possibly put this right.

It's not, I agree. We don't really know who/what we are dealing with, though. I never assume a parent is caring by default in these scenarios. I suspect she will say something eventually. If not directly to LE, she will still have to answer questions for the child custody and CPS situation.

Being incarcerated for murder, kidnapping, or a sexual offense increases the risk of suicide, statistically speaking.

There are a number of factors involved in deciding to place an inmate on suicide watch.

In the jail in which I work, we ask screening questions like this:

Is this the first time you've ever been in jail?

Have you ever attempted suicide? If so, when?

Do you currently have any thoughts of suicide? If so, do you have a plan?

Do your current charges include murder, kidnapping or a sexual offense?

Do you have feelings of hopelessness or helplessness at this time?

Do you feel like harming yourself or anyone else?

Have you ever been diagnosed with a mental illness?

Have you ever been hospitalized for psychiatric reasons?

Have any relatives or close friends ever attempted/completed suicide?

These aren't all of the questions, but those are all included in both the Corrections intake screening and the medical intake screening.

Being incarcerated for the first time, a high profile crime, a crime committed by someone well known in the community, and kidnapping/murder/sex offense charges increase the risk of suicide.

Jails are one of the highest risk places for suicide, because of being the first place someone is incarcerated and also where they often receive bad news about their cases/sentences. By the time the get to prison, the risk is lower because usually they know what they're facing by that point.

This is all just generalized info, but WM may have specifically stated he was suicidal, or the screening questions may have indicated the need for suicide watch (assuming he's on suicide watch). It's almost 100% guaranteed he's in Administrative Segregation at this point, due to the fact that this is a well publicized crime and it's a crime against a child. A beautiful, darling, precious child, whom I think we all wish we could lovingly cradle in our arms, smelling her sweet baby smell, protecting her from all evil. [emoji174]

Excellent post! Just to add, I have interviewed defendants for PSI's who have said their attorneys told them to say they are suicidal for better protection or to benefit the case. These are usually the ones that felt it was the wrong decision after seeing what being on suicide watch was really like and were coming out on the better end.

Yes, but even though he changed his story it doesn't mean she is any more aware of things. If this all happened in the night while she was sleeping her story would still be "I don't know what happened other than what I have seen in the media, I was asleep." I am not saying that LE is not doing their job or anything like that, but perhaps the public pressure we are seeing everywhere that has already found Sini and WM guilty is making them act more intrusively than they would be otherwise? Public pressure can have a lot of power and when it involves an officer who is choking back tears when he talks in front of the camera it is hard to know if he is seeking Sini from an emotional place or professional place.

Whatever the case, if Sini was asleep, and she has maintained that she was asleep, bringing her in and saying "was it routine to give milk in the garage?" isn't really going to fill in any blanks... if the answer is yes what does that change? if the answer is no what does that change? what if she doesn't know because he has always been awake with Sherin and allowed her to sleep? I can't imagine the line of questions being much more than stuff about their normal routine like that, and if that is the case, they could always send the lawyer a letter with the couple of questions they do have and ask that Sini speak to them just to clear those up, or they could even suggest they write a written response...
I am NOT saying that Sini shouldn't cooperate. I am just saying that if she has nothing left to add that she should be left to grieve...
Hang on. You mean you can't imagine it would be important to now ask questions like if the milk was stored in a fridge in the garage, if feedings normally took place in the garage and why, and gobs of other background information they need to have for prosecution?

Just because she may have slept through this particular incident does not mean that she does not have valuable knowledge that LE and the prosecution needs to know about.

And to refuse to give them more background information she is jeopardizing the case and possibly preventing justice for her daughter's death.

So every time he changes his story they have to go after her again? I don't think so. Good for her for having an attorney and knowing her rights.

I agree. Personally I don’t understand any of it. I’m not trying to compare my life to theirs, but I have two daughters as well. I work full time and have long commutes. I also go to school full time (most of my classes are online) so in addition I’m up pretty late and extremely tired when I go to be. But, I would know if my husband got out of bed. Or if my daughter got up. I don’t think WM is a saint or innocent, but I also believe there’s a lot more to the story. Even if I didn’t cooperate with LE I’d still be doing everything I could to find my child or get answers about what happened to her.

So every time he changes his story they have to go after her again? I don't think so. Good for her for having an attorney and knowing her rights.
Go after her? Excuse me, but these two stories are vastly different , and I would expect the background they need would be as well. I mean, first I imagine they asked her about what was normal punishment for Sherin, based on the crazy tree story. But now we have the garage.

You don't think she should answer questions about the garage that her little girl died in? Really? OK. But I, and it seems most of the rest of the world, think she should.

It's her right to plead the 5th, but it makes her look guilty as hell.

Hang on. You mean you can't imagine they would want to now ask questions like if the milk was stored in a fridge in the garage, if feedings normally took place in the garage and why, and gobs of other background information they need to have for prosecution?

Just because she may have slept through this particular incident does not mean that she does not have valuable knowledge that LE and the prosecution needs to know about.

And to refuse to give them more background information she is jeopardizing the case and possibly preventing justice for her daughter's death.

They literally went through the entire house and garage and even the grass in the yard (we saw video of them in the grass), LE knows exactly where the milk was stored, if there was a mini-fridge or regular fridge in the garage and all of that. They took the trash, if the garage trash was full of pediasure containers it would be fair to assume Sherin drinks milk out there regularly. IMO the physical evidence would answer pretty much all of the questions you just asked and wouldn't require Sini to come in again. Plus, if she is seeing the media at all, on any website, or FB etc she sees thousands of people all saying she should get the death penalty and that she is a "horrible mom" and so on... It would be very easy to think that if society feels that way that the police likely are looking for anything they can to arrest... and from what we have seen in statements, it sounds like LE are continuing to search to see if they have enough to arrest anyone else, if she is following the case or her lawyers are, they would know that something as simple as her not remembering her original statement verbatim and giving a slightly different version of events, example, she could say she was in bed by 9 but last time she said 9:15 (just an example), LE could then turn around and say she has shown inconsistencies in her story... She is damned if she goes in and damned if she doesn't... At this point she is protecting her freedom and her lawyers are too...

I don't think anyone (here) would argue she should have a lawyer and should clearly know her rights. Questions WITH a lawyer present who can quickly step in on her behalf, is not too much to ask of a mother who's child died under her same roof. JMO, of course.

I don't think anyone (here) would argue she should have a lawyer and should clearly know her rights. Questions WITH a lawyer present who can quickly step in on her behalf, is not too much to ask of a omther who's child died under her same roof. JMO, of course.

I am sure the police need to talk to her to try to corroborate the husband's new story. They still have not charged him with murder. The Indian article clearly said SM was under investigation. In the past, we have always been allowed to begin discussing a person related to a victim once law enforcement had said this in mainstream media. The officer has been named, and he is the officer who has been named in other MSM stories. I await a mod to tell us it is okay to sleuth SM.

I really hope she has nothing to do with this terrible crime, for Sherin's sake and her other daughter's sake.

They literally went through the entire house and garage and even the grass in the yard (we saw video of them in the grass), LE knows exactly where the milk was stored, if there was a mini-fridge or regular fridge in the garage and all of that. They took the trash, if the garage trash was full of pediasure containers it would be fair to assume Sherin drinks milk out there regularly. IMO the physical evidence would answer pretty much all of the questions you just asked and wouldn't require Sini to come in again. Plus, if she is seeing the media at all, on any website, or FB etc she sees thousands of people all saying she should get the death penalty and that she is a "horrible mom" and so on... It would be very easy to think that if society feels that way that the police likely are looking for anything they can to arrest... and from what we have seen in statements, it sounds like LE are continuing to search to see if they have enough to arrest anyone else, if she is following the case or her lawyers are, they would know that something as simple as her not remembering her original statement verbatim and giving a slightly different version of events, example, she could say she was in bed by 9 but last time she said 9:15 (just an example), LE could then turn around and say she has shown inconsistencies in her story... She is damned if she goes in and damned if she doesn't... At this point she is protecting her freedom and her lawyers are too...
It's more than just where items are stored. Yes, they can glean a lot of information from evidence collected. But they cannot know what the normal routines were. I imagine, for instance, that they already asked her if 3 am feedings were normal. However, I DOUBT anyone even thought about asking where the feedings normally took place, because WTH would guess it might be done outside the actual house.

I can't believe you don't see that there are now more questions that need to be answered and that you would be willing to put a conviction at risk in order to spare her feelings. I can't believe she would either, though, so there's that.

I don't think anyone (here) would argue she should have a lawyer and should clearly know her rights. Questions WITH a lawyer present who can quickly step in on her behalf, is not too much to ask of a mother who's child died under her same roof. JMO, of course.

And we don't know all the details of dumb story #2 as told by him. They may want to verify some of those details with her to determine the validity of dumb story #2 to see what parts he's lying about---again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annwithane