Found Deceased TX - Sherin Mathews, 3, Richardson, 7 Oct 2017 #6 *Arrest*

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
That is not correct. Every child comes under the purview of CPS in the US and other similar departments in other countries, nothing specific to Foster Care or Adoption.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Child_Protective_Services

And in the case of WM, prior CPS contact with the family is confirmed but no details of the contact in public domain.
In Michigan, the overarching department is Health and Human services. This department includes CPS, foster care, adoption, along with medicaid, food assistance, cash assistance, etc etc.

CPS, foster care, and adoption are distinct departments and have unique roles. There are also contracts with private agencies to oversee foster care and adoption cases. CPS is generally the first contact with allegations of abuse and/or neglect and when the investigation is complete, it is transferred to foster care if the allegations were substantiated. CPS no longer has involvement at that time unless a new complaint is filed in the future. Foster care and adoption workers provide ongoing monitoring of these cases, all of which are considered in the child welfare/foster care system.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Tensions?? How sad. While I understand that everyone has strong thoughts on all of this, can't people come together for one sole purpose....focusing on a little girl who should still be alive. Agendas aside. Can't poor Sherin get ANY peace. JMO

This case touches my heart deeply, as I know it does for everyone else.

I am thankful that her little body was found for proper burial.

I don't think I will ever get over the shock of many of these cases. They are so unfathomable and heart-wrenching.
This has been my first ever to follow this closely , and you nailed my feelings about this and all the others . I know we are all waiting for the rest of the story.

Is it unusual, the amount of nuts and community "factions" that this case has created and attracted? I've never followed one so closely before so I don't have a reference point.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Huh- was this the same thing that was the “sleepover” I read about last week? Apparently there was going to be a sleepover tonight at the tree [emoji848]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I'm sure they bill this stuff as community healing, but it's really about increasing Sini's and Sherin's community's (family, friends, church) pain as a form of revenge, IMO. Unfortunately, it does nothing for Sherin, nothing for the case, and likely increases the general community's pain.

These sideshows are unfortunate.

Is it unusual, the amount of nuts and community "factions" that this case has created and attracted? I've never followed one so closely before so I don't have a reference point.

Even in the South Asian community there is the Indo-Pak divide, within the Indian Community there is the North vs South, Overseas Indian vs Resident Indian, Hindi vs Non Hindi, Hindu vs. Muslim vs. Christian divisions to take advantage !!
Even among the Kerala Christians, the Evangelical,Pentecostal groups are much smaller and looked down upon by the "Brahmin Christians" as fringe groups !!!
Forgot the Overseas Keralite vs. Indian Keralite division
So one group takes schadenfreude looking at their perceived "other" group :banghead:

It is a jungle out there ........
Count me as Not surprised.

This is only my opinion but I think this has gone a little further off track than most. I understand the the human brain has to find a coping mechanism to deal with horrible events. The way so many have voiced the desire to do harm to Sini, trying so hard to convince everyone that she was involved, and that both parents are demons is very similar to one of the things that keeps people in abusive relationships. Your mind will go to all kinds of extremes to avoid accepting the fact that you could have been attracted to someone capable of harming you, your children or someone you love. (Blame yourself, make excuses, denial, believing the apologies and believing he/she will change, etc.)

In this case one has to demonize both parents, WM for what he has admitted to but Sini also because if she could be oblivious to what happened (or sleep through it) then it could happen to any of us. Demonizing her says she has to be culpable so therefore it couldn’t ever happen in our life. Her complicity is the only way to feel absolutely safe in our own lives.

This obsession with “possessing” Sherin either for the funeral or by claiming her as a daughter provides a way to feel superior to the “demons” who “threw her away” or trying to get her canonized sets them apart from those awful people. “We searched (even when asked not to but the demons didn’t), we held “vigils” (they never attended), we will always remember(they won’t), we love her (they never did) and we addressed the public (she stayed hid) elevates “us” and sets “us” apart from them.

Early on when Sherin was missing they could be in denial that harm had come to her but once faced with the ugly truth of her death some moved into the anger stage of grief in a huge way. They couldn’t deal with or resolve the anger with the people they believe responsible in a real and personal way (the angry signs and bottle of milk) and with WM out of reach in jail and Sini away from the public eye now they have to find a target for that anger in persons who disagree with them and with each other. In the search for why (why did it happen, why did he do it, why didn’t God protect her, why didn’t God answer our prayers to bring her back safely, why couldn’t it have been prevented) they come up with the “greater plan theory. Taking that plan a little further than theory by starting with the angel identity, quickly moving to the Princess title now Saint as ways to validate the “greater plan” and “see what I did”

Now this is in addition to the 15 min of fame crowd and some fit into both categories. Some just want to keep stretching the 15 minutes out as long as possible. The more drama the better.

JMHO

Probably, still, very difficult to prove/prosecute.

I had one online encounter on another board where pseudonyms were used. One really obnoxious poster found out my home/work info and liked to tease out the info to be threatening. I did go so far as notifying my local prosecutor's office, as well as the company that ran the board. The company would only release info via subpoena. The prosecutor needed some evidence in order to consider a subpoena. I did go back through a lot of this guy's posts, collecting screenshot before he could make them go away. He also changed his identity frequently. At first I think he was actually getting banned for violating TOS. After awhile, though I think he was just trying to make it more difficult to trace him. In the end I just disappeared myself from the board. The board, BTW is widely known for being pretty irresponsible. WS moderators warn against posting info from their threads.

Some newspapers, however, have taken to using FB identities for any of their comments. Some people use their actual identities and others use invented ones. I have reported a few threatening posts to newspaper editors and they were very happy to remove the posts and the poster.

I used to participate in Disqus. I normally only comment/participate in music threads on there, on the occasion that I drop in, these days. Some of the forums used to be very cut throat. They would get others to troll/gang up on posters, who may express a different viewpoint. It got old.

I'm sure they bill this stuff as community healing, but it's really about increasing Sini's and Sherin's community's (family, friends, church) pain as a form of revenge, IMO. Unfortunately, it does nothing for Sherin, nothing for the case, and likely increases the general community's pain.

These sideshows are unfortunate.

Bolded: I could not agree more. Keeping in mind everything that the family will be going through in the future, I feel it's time to let them move on and TRY to get used to a "new normal". JMO

Your passion is evident and I thank you for the work you've done!

I've worked with this system for over a decade in both residential treatment and currently at a Children's Advocacy Center. I've worked with workers who I felt were not doing their job. I've called supervisors and section managers, requested new workers, conducted trainings on trauma to CPS and judges to explain recantation is normal, and I've testified in numerous cases on behalf of the victim, prosecution, and AG (termination hearings).

I've seen cases that judges removed children with little apparent justification and I've left wondering what did I miss?! I've worked with cases that there was so much evidence it didn't make sense that the children continued to be reunified. The system is faulty but the overwhelming majority of workers are doing the best they can within that system. There is a more recent trend toward vilifying CPS workers for intervening in typical parenting (free range parenting) while at the same time holding them accountable for not doing more in cases that ultimately ends in child death or severe abuse. At the onset, sometimes these cases don't look much different. Again, hindsight is 20/20.

I often get lumped in to "the system" because our agency assists in interviewing children for the CPS and LE investigations yet we have no independent investigation or impact on the petition or decision to remove. Still, I have received threats from angry parents. CPS workers get threats daily. It is a role that you couldn't pay me enough to do but such a vital and important role. I'm just very careful not to generalize the entire group over a few that got into the wrong profession. The majority get into this field due to passion- the amount of education required for the mediocre pay at best certainly does not draw a large amount of "doing it for the paycheck" folks. JMO.

I generally stand up for CPS and social workers, even though I have encountered some bad eggs.

But, some of the headline-grabbing allegations of taking kids from "free range," or home schooling families or others deemed to be undeserving really have more to them than meets the eye. I followed an Arkansas case for awhile. A family and their supporters claimed that their kids were removed for giving them "supplements." Digging deeper the father, who didn't believe in doctors (or schools, or a lot of other things), had gotten hooked into one of those cure-alls that disreputable people sell on the internet. As I recall, the actual substance was something like cleaning fluid. And he was not only giving it to the kids, but there was at least one admitted "swat" to the face, sufficiently severe to cause a nose-bleed. The kids were being "home schooled" even though the family had not complied with legal requirements to make this known to the local school board, and there was some question about the actual quality of education being received, at least by the younger children. There were also some basic health and safety issues at the families place of residence. The family was ultimately able to jump some hoops and get the kids back.

But the holy hell this family, and their supporters, raised. They claimed conspiracy against them, the devil rising up against them because they are Christians, the government wanting their children for medical experimentation, the secular world wanting their children to go to public school and mix with the heathens! Anything but being able to reconsider whether their chosen "lifestyle" might actually be harming their children.

So--I always try to find some facts when I hear of some of these supposed cases of CPS over-reach.

It is protected and confidential until a petition is filed. In Michigan, entire petitions naming the children and outlining specific details about the abuse have been obtained through FOIA by the media.

That said, if SM wanted to share the reasons from her perspective regarding CPS, she's not bound to confidentiality of her own family record. I am not surprised she has not though given that she is understandably remaining silent overall. Jmo.

I don't know if you followed the same Michigan case that I did. But in at least one case in Michigan there was a portion of a CPS report that one parent incorporated into a filing in a divorce case, as an exhibit. It would seem as though it ought to have been redacted before the filing went out, but some courthouse clerk wasn't completely on their toes. The parent in that case apparently had access to to the record (although possibly not the entire record, recalling that the investigative conclusions were never actually shared--although one may presume that findings were minimal as there was no barrier to the accused parent seeing the children. IOW, there was some crafty leakage going on. Pretty sure that CPS (and their records that pertain to children) are covered under FERPA and HIPAA--both of which are federal--and protected from reporters with FOIA requests.

I generally stand up for CPS and social workers, even though I have encountered some bad eggs.

But, some of the headline-grabbing allegations of taking kids from "free range," or home schooling families or others deemed to be undeserving really have more to them than meets the eye. I followed an Arkansas case for awhile. A family and their supporters claimed that their kids were removed for giving them "supplements." Digging deeper the father, who didn't believe in doctors (or schools, or a lot of other things), had gotten hooked into one of those cure-alls that disreputable people sell on the internet. As I recall, the actual substance was something like cleaning fluid. And he was not only giving it to the kids, but there was at least one admitted "swat" to the face, sufficiently severe to cause a nose-bleed. The kids were being "home schooled" even though the family had not complied with legal requirements to make this known to the local school board, and there was some question about the actual quality of education being received, at least by the younger children. There were also some basic health and safety issues at the families place of residence. The family was ultimately able to jump some hoops and get the kids back.

But the holy hell this family, and their supporters, raised. They claimed conspiracy against them, the devil rising up against them because they are Christians, the government wanting their children for medical experimentation, the secular world wanting their children to go to public school and mix with the heathens! Anything but being able to reconsider whether their chosen "lifestyle" might actually be harming their children.

So--I always try to find some facts when I hear of some of these supposed cases of CPS over-reach.

We have a sayin' round here; The guiltiest dogs bark the loudest.

Maybe. But if that was the case, wouldn't you think her attorneys would be more than happy to get that information out to the public, rather than let them speculate (which many have) that the involvement of CPS was in relation to something much more nefarious.

It occurs to me that every report does not result in "findings," but also that the prior involvement might have been concerning the older child. Child care providers/pre-schools and just about anyone who works with kids these days is schooled that they must report "any suspicion." So perhaps there was a report made involving the older child having a bruise, or something else suspicious and the investigation went nowhere--either because nothing nefarious happened, or not enough proof to act on. Or perhaps there some something involving the child and someone outside the family.

Could be a lot of reasons not to offer up full transparency in an attempt to clear Sini.

To me the irony of it is she was believed to have been born Buddhist, Hindu in the orphanage and Chrstian from adoption all before she was old enough to understand any of it and now they want her canonized Catholic. That alone was enough to make my head spin. LOL

IKR?! :gaah:

Just popped in to see if we had any autopsy updates yet....nope.

I also want to say that I *originally* poo-poohed what many of you were saying about the citizens who wanted to claim the remains, have a "daughter of the globe" funeral and so forth. At first it sounded well intended. HOWEVER, after taking the time to read more posts and do a little research....I am completely condemning these actions.

What I do believe started out well intended, has morphed in to something very ugly and dangerous....mobbish. This being said, I do believe this is a fringe group, and that the stable majority of the good citizenry of Richardson will find more productive outlets for their grief and outrage. Many of you have suggested a variety of excellent ideas to honor Sherin's memory. Productive, not destructive activities.

People....get a grip. We are all outraged, but lawful behavior is not only expected, it is required under law.
Get a grip!

It occurs to me that every report does not result in "findings," but also that the prior involvement might have been concerning the older child. Child care providers/pre-schools and just about anyone who works with kids these days is schooled that they must report "any suspicion." So perhaps there was a report made involving the older child having a bruise, or something else suspicious and the investigation went nowhere--either because nothing nefarious happened, or not enough proof to act on. Or perhaps there some something involving the child and someone outside the family.

Could be a lot of reasons not to offer up full transparency in an attempt to clear Sini.

I think someone said that the older child had a broken arm at one point. A dr. or school official, may have called that in.

Just popped in to see if we had any autopsy updates yet....nope.

I also want to say that I *originally* poo-poohed what many of you were saying about the citizens who wanted to claim the remains, have a "daughter of the globe" funeral and so forth. At first it sounded well intended. HOWEVER, after taking the time to read more posts and do a little research....I am completely condemning these actions.

What I do believe started out well intended, has morphed in to something very ugly and dangerous....mobbish. This being said, I do believe this is a fringe group, and that the stable majority of the good citizenry of Richardson will find more productive outlets for their grief and outrage. Many of you have suggested a variety of excellent ideas to honor Sherin's memory. Productive, not destructive activities.

People....get a grip. We are all outraged, but lawful behavior is not only expected, it is required under law.
Get a grip!
Same here. At first they didn't bother me. I thought something productive may come of the groups. Not so now.

Also, as I've said before, I have my suspicions about Sini. However, these groups who have organized on Facebook have made me feel almost protective of the woman.

Of course, I'm still maintaining skepticism about everything in this case. But at least they have reminded me what happens when unbridled suspicion takes hold. I get visions of posses reaching old jail cells for a lynching without a trial back in the day.

It's best to not only allow the law to do its thing, but also to keep proper civility within a community.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member