DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Dad picked it? Huh.

O Irony. [emoji20]

I like the granite.

Photo:
http://www.wfaa.com/mobile/article/...-in-our-arms-lifetime-in-our-hearts/498122397
5c5de02aba9151d4d38f2222cc4f4f35.jpg

What do you think: "Wouldn't "Moment in our arms, FOREVER in our hearts" be the wording most folks would put as an epitaph? The word "lifetime" to me is more indicative, emotionally, of a burden. (i.e. -a "lifetime of crosses". "A lifetime of sorry". "A lifetime of burden"....etc. ) Does anyone else see this???

I am surprised at the memory capabilities children have. Although some do block it out. Example: My internationally adopted daughter wasn't even 2 when adopted yet she has vivid memories at the age of 6 of names, songs and bad things at the orphanage, my domestically adopted daughter was adopted at the age of 12 and cannot remember the things that were horrible. I think I am most astounded at my younger daughter having memories since she was so young.

It's crazy mind-blowing how well the memory works!! When I escaped with babies in tow, my youngest was 9 months old. Around 2yrs old he started to say things that no one had spoken esp around the kids, like "i am happy we don't see that guy who used to hurt you", We would drive by the church we had attended before escape and he would say "remember when" to my older child and would talk about who had been there and what activities they had done. It was pretty creepy. He is a teen now and remembers far less than he did when every dr said she shouldnt recall any of it! Time to rewrite the books on how the memory itself works!!!

Sherin's sister hopefully falls into the category of little memory of it all, but chances are good that she remembers it all vividly for now. I hope she is a talker and has given information that we have yet to see!

MOO (accidentally typed mop, because i am also thinking about what I have to do tomorrow, LOL)

I don't know. Don't totally see how he could be completely submissive and also override her on adoption, if she was always opposed.

Still puzzling them out.

We don't know that she was always opposed. She might have agreed to the adoption thinking it would go well. Even once they had a biological child she might have thought Sherin would be another child to love her and adore her, and the added bonus of looking good for adopting a poor, abandoned child.

I would like to see their lawyers order psych evaluations for both of them, mostly because in my mind I think WM needs it in case it's relevant for him, in case he is mentally unable to defend himself, and in case he needs to serve his sentence in a psych facility, perhaps with the option of an early parole, but if it was for both of them, then maybe it could reveal some of the power structures in the marriage and in their 'parenting'.

I don't know about such things. I wouldn't expect a psych evaluation would be normal in a case like this, but his lawyers might find it useful in helping them understand their client, especially if there's a possibility that it might help them construct a defense argument for him...and it might be like in the Bella Bond trial where the lawyers from one side accuse the other side of the actual crime. From what the lawyers for WM have been saying I'm not really seeing signs of that defense other than, perhaps, when they have said that he's really a great father and that's the angle they want to portray...how can they do that with the evidence of the broken bones and suspicion of abuse from a doctor who specializes in child abuse? If they do intend to argue that WM is a 'great father', then they're going to 'have' to blame the abuse on Sini. They didn't really show that might be their primary argument when they defended the lack of pictures of Sherin in the home--I think the lawyers should have pleaded the 5th on that.

Weird. I just woke up... I dreamed about Sherin. All I can remember is group of people rescued her, a woman was holding her, she was laughing and smiling while the woman played with her and fussed over her. She looked happy, loved, adorable, radiant. [emoji259]

Weird. I just woke up... I dreamed about Sherin. All I can remember is group of people rescued her, a woman was holding her, she was laughing and smiling while the woman played with her and fussed over her. She looked happy, loved, adorable, radiant. [emoji259]

Wouldn't that have been the greatest " ending " , ( or new beginning ) we could have hoped and prayed for ? To be reunited with loved ones ?
Did you maybe see a glimpse of heaven ? Certainly she is there, surrounded by all its serenity, beauty and love ?
She's touched so many lives that didn't know her in this life .... all MOO, but it gives me hope and comfort.

OT—

For those of you who haven't seen it there is a fun thread that asks how you came up with your screen name. Some of our regulars here have participated and I love the stories posted. (Yes I did explain grochyom) For those of you who haven’t please do. I would love to know more about the wonderful posters on this Thead that I have come to respect and appreciative so much. It is something to do as our informtion seems to be in a lull.

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/showthread.php?326153-What-is-the-story-behind-your-WS-name

For Grouchy Mom, UMMM you ran out of storage space, can't reply

Isn't she just a little older than Sherin? I am not sure that she would have too many memories of that time, except the one of being taken away from her parents.

Yes, she is a little older than Sherin was. Young children, though, have sharp concentration and, years later, a memory will reappear. I remember a lot things before age 4. I remember what adults said, what they did, if I felt betrayed, etc.

Wouldn't that have been the greatest " ending " , ( or new beginning ) we could have hoped and prayed for ? To be reunited with loved ones ?
Did you maybe see a glimpse of heaven ? Certainly she is there, surrounded by all its serenity, beauty and love ?
She's touched so many lives that didn't know her in this life .... all MOO, but it gives me hope and comfort.

This just makes me tingle. I think you are right -- I think the dreamer had a glimpse of heaven. It was so we could all hear how happy she is now. :)

We don't know that she was always opposed. She might have agreed to the adoption thinking it would go well. Even once they had a biological child she might have thought Sherin would be another child to love her and adore her, and the added bonus of looking good for adopting a poor, abandoned child.

I would like to see their lawyers order psych evaluations for both of them, mostly because in my mind I think WM needs it in case it's relevant for him, in case he is mentally unable to defend himself, and in case he needs to serve his sentence in a psych facility, perhaps with the option of an early parole, but if it was for both of them, then maybe it could reveal some of the power structures in the marriage and in their 'parenting'.

I don't know about such things. I wouldn't expect a psych evaluation would be normal in a case like this, but his lawyers might find it useful in helping them understand their client, especially if there's a possibility that it might help them construct a defense argument for him...and it might be like in the Bella Bond trial where the lawyers from one side accuse the other side of the actual crime. From what the lawyers for WM have been saying I'm not really seeing signs of that defense other than, perhaps, when they have said that he's really a great father and that's the angle they want to portray...how can they do that with the evidence of the broken bones and suspicion of abuse from a doctor who specializes in child abuse? If they do intend to argue that WM is a 'great father', then they're going to 'have' to blame the abuse on Sini. They didn't really show that might be their primary argument when they defended the lack of pictures of Sherin in the home--I think the lawyers should have pleaded the 5th on that.

I think that the bar for competence is set pretty low. As in, absence of hallucinations, presence of reasoning ability, capability of discerning right from wrong. And if someone is found incompetent to assist in their defense, then they are sent to a secure treatment facility and evaluated regularly until the demonstrate competence.

Not guilty by reason of insanity would be something else again, and figure in at trial. That would focus on state of mind at the time the crime was committed--which at this point is a considerable span, possibly inclusive of the entire time Sherin was in their home, but certainly all of the time moving forward since the first CPS report. It would, I suppose, hinge on convincing a jury that during that time he was either incapable of understanding what was going on or unable to act to protect Sherin.

Pleading the 5th is an individual right, not an attorney's right. But the attorney was responding to a reporter's question, not giving testimony. He could have chosen to simply respond "no comment," or "we have no knowledge of the number of pictures in the home, " or whatever. But, it would seem, that the attorneys are attempting to create a persona for their clients, doing whatever they can to normalize them, provide reasonable explanations for actions, etc. Personally, I think he blew that one.

I think that the bar for competence is set pretty low. As in, absence of hallucinations, presence of reasoning ability, capability of discerning right from wrong. And if someone is found incompetent to assist in their defense, then they are sent to a secure treatment facility and evaluated regularly until the demonstrate competence.

Not guilty by reason of insanity would be something else again, and figure in at trial. That would focus on state of mind at the time the crime was committed--which at this point is a considerable span, possibly inclusive of the entire time Sherin was in their home, but certainly all of the time moving forward since the first CPS report. It would, I suppose, hinge on convincing a jury that during that time he was either incapable of understanding what was going on or unable to act to protect Sherin.

Pleading the 5th is an individual right, not an attorney's right. But the attorney was responding to a reporter's question, not giving testimony. He could have chosen to simply respond "no comment," or "we have no knowledge of the number of pictures in the home, " or whatever. But, it would seem, that the attorneys are attempting to create a persona for their clients, doing whatever they can to normalize them, provide reasonable explanations for actions, etc. Personally, I think he blew that one.

Yes, I was joking about the lawyers should have pled the fifth, because if their intention is to make WM sound like a good dad the lawyer comments about the lack of pictures of Sherin do not make him sound at all like a good dad.

I have no idea if WM is legally competent or not, but I do think it's important for his lawyers to know. The smile from WM to Sini did not strike me as a sign of competence. If the charges get upgraded, then I do feel it's very important to ensure competence is investigated by a psych evaluation prior to a possible dp trial. WM can clearly hold down a job, he has a job that needs a high working IQ, so he's not incompetent in that sense, but *if* there's a chance of emotional pressure from Sini that's altered his ability to think rationally, and if he is convinced in his own mind that he must take the rap for everything in that home...to me that's not full competence, but I don't know what the legal standards are for a person who's been 'brainwashed' in this way, and nor do I know if that has happened to WM.

This is a horrific case, I want to make sure the right person goes down for the right thing.

If Sini is the one who spent most of the time at home with Sherin, I think there's a very good chance she's been the primary abuser. From what we've heard she has shown zero concern for Sherin. I see signs of remorse in WM's expressions, but none in Sini. She didn't say they had to call the police the moment she allegedly woke that morning. When the police did arrive she seems to have given them the impression she was more concerned about the baby shower than her own baby being missing. I believe she knew Sherin was dead and there was no point searching for her, but who'd want to go to a baby shower if they were covering for their husband murdering their child? But if WM doesn't testify against her, how can they 'prove' to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she had any part in Sherin's abuse, death, or cover-up?

So, to me, that leaves WM as either co-abuser, willingly turning a blind eye or participating, or he's been 'brainwashed' to the point that he makes excuses for Sini, will protect her even to giving his life for her crimes as well as his own. I've never known a case like this where psych exams were called for or an insanity defense was used. But if he needs a couple of years of treatment in order to get to the point where he can tell the truth, what would that mean for a trial?

This case isn't going to get to trial soon enough. I want the whole world to know who Sini really is, not who she pretended to be. For those who believe, please join me in praying for justice and truth to be revealed in this case. :praying:

Yes, I was joking about the lawyers should have pled the fifth, because if their intention is to make WM sound like a good dad the lawyer comments about the lack of pictures of Sherin do not make him sound at all like a good dad.

I have no idea if WM is legally competent or not, but I do think it's important for his lawyers to know. The smile from WM to Sini did not strike me as a sign of competence. If the charges get upgraded, then I do feel it's very important to ensure competence is investigated by a psych evaluation prior to a possible dp trial. WM can clearly hold down a job, he has a job that needs a high working IQ, so he's not incompetent in that sense, but *if* there's a chance of emotional pressure from Sini that's altered his ability to think rationally, and if he is convinced in his own mind that he must take the rap for everything in that home...to me that's not full competence, but I don't know what the legal standards are for a person who's been 'brainwashed' in this way, and nor do I know if that has happened to WM.

This is a horrific case, I want to make sure the right person goes down for the right thing.

If Sini is the one who spent most of the time at home with Sherin, I think there's a very good chance she's been the primary abuser. From what we've heard she has shown zero concern for Sherin. I see signs of remorse in WM's expressions, but none in Sini. She didn't say they had to call the police the moment she allegedly woke that morning. When the police did arrive she seems to have given them the impression she was more concerned about the baby shower than her own baby being missing. I believe she knew Sherin was dead and there was no point searching for her, but who'd want to go to a baby shower if they were covering for their husband murdering their child? But if WM doesn't testify against her, how can they 'prove' to a jury, beyond a reasonable doubt, that she had any part in Sherin's abuse, death, or cover-up?

So, to me, that leaves WM as either co-abuser, willingly turning a blind eye or participating, or he's been 'brainwashed' to the point that he makes excuses for Sini, will protect her even to giving his life for her crimes as well as his own. I've never known a case like this where psych exams were called for or an insanity defense was used. But if he needs a couple of years of treatment in order to get to the point where he can tell the truth, what would that mean for a trial?

If you want to take a look at the brainwashed defense look up the Patricia Hearst case. She was convicted for bank robbbery with the band of Sybionese Liberation Army that kidnpped her and held her hostage in 1874. She use the Stockholm syndrome and brought that condition into the public discourse.

[FONT=&amp]At the time of her arrest, Patty Hearst weighed only 87 pounds (40 kg) and was described by Dr. [/FONT]Margaret Singer[FONT=&amp] in October 1975 as "a low-IQ, low-affect zombie"[/FONT]

[FONT=&amp]On March 20, 1976, Hearst was convicted of bank robbery and using a firearm during a felony. She was given the maximum sentence possible of 35 years' imprisonment pending a reduction at final sentence hearing, which Carter declined to specify.[/FONT][SUP][71][/SUP][FONT=&amp]Because Judge Carter had died, William Horsley Orrick Jr. decided on Hearst's sentence. He gave her seven years imprisonment, commenting that "rebellious young people who, for whatever reason become revolutionaries, and voluntarily commit criminal acts will be punished".[SUP][72][/SUP][/FONT]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Hearst

If you want to take a look at the brainwashed defense look up the Patricia Hearst case. She was convicted for bank robbbery with the band of Sybionese Liberation Army that kidnpped her and held her hostage in 1874. She use the Stockholm syndrome and brought that condition into the public discourse.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patty_Hearst

BBM

Boy, her kidnappers held held her for a looooong time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

BBM

Boy, her kidnappers held held her for a looooong time!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

LOL my fingers are dyslexic today please excuse the typo. LOL no wonder she was so thin.

eta I am a senile old grouch what do you expect LOL

I think that Patty Hearst was a total victim and I don't think that she should have served any time in prison for what she was forced to do to keep herself alive.

I think that Patty Hearst was a total victim and I don't think that she should have served any time in prison for what she was forced to do to keep herself alive.

And you and I both remember it well. That was the first time most people had heard of stockholm syndrome

Hi everyone,

Haven't posted here in awhile, and wanted to share a theory proposed by a friend. Based on the cultural proclivities - I apologize if the term proclivities isn't apt here but I cannot think of a better term for some of the practices in Kerala as well as other parts of India.

When I discussed the topic of the Bihar adoption, my colleague raised an important theory that if the child was indeed adopted from Bihar - known to be poverty stricken and predisposed to child trafficking - the suggestion that Sherin was adopted to be a 'slave' rather than a child, and that when this 'slave-child' was later discovered to have special-needs, the Matthews had no qualms carrying out these atrocities.

Why would the Matthews adopt a girl from Bihar when there are numerous orphanages in Kerala? The caste system is endemic in India (including Kerala). The affluent have domestic servants. It is far cheaper to have a child maid than to hire an American housekeeper, nanny and/or domestic helper. I cannot help but wonder about this real possibility which is why they did not bat an eyelid leaving the child home alone.

This just makes me tingle. I think you are right -- I think the dreamer had a glimpse of heaven. It was so we could all hear how happy she is now. :)
Feeling the spirit always gives us tingles
It's all good , this little precious is reaching out to all of us trying to put the pieces of her life , and death , in order . The silver lining in a very black cloud .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HollyMcKee