GUILTY TX - Sida Osman, 5, Fort Worth, 25 June 2013

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A Tarrant County Medical Examiner's report confirmed Thursday that Sida Osman, 5, died from blunt force trauma to the head.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/local/tarr...eek-help-to-find-missing-child-213092281.html

His death has been ruled a homicide
by the Tarrant County Medical Examiner. Fort Worth police are continuing their investigation.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/26/4964896/authorities-searching-for-missing.html#storylink=cpy

Okay, now you can all be angry! :furious:

Thanks, but I was already angry....

What a waste of two lives. Poor little Sida, who was doing nothing but riding his bike, being a kid, not harming anyone. And this 13 year old boy, who appears to have had a doomed life from the beginning. It always breaks me heart to see kids killing kids. They shouldn't be worried about getting killed or who they are going to kill, they should be thinking about who is their best friend this week. It's just a sad situation. No one wins in something like this. No one.

FORT WORTH — A 13-year-old Fort Worth boy confessed to killing his 5-year-old neighbor by hitting him twice in the head with a bowling ball, according to allegations detailed in a detention hearing Friday.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/0...ating.html#my-headlines-default#storylink=cpy

A bowling ball. I thought maybe it was a branch from a tree he found, but a bowling ball. Was this planned? Where did the bowling ball come from?

Anyone know what the sentencing is for a juvenille in TX with a capital murder conviction?

FORT WORTH — A 13-year-old Fort Worth boy confessed to killing his 5-year-old neighbor by hitting him twice in the head with a bowling ball, according to allegations detailed in a detention hearing Friday.

Read more here: http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/0...ating.html#my-headlines-default#storylink=cpy

A bowling ball. I thought maybe it was a branch from a tree he found, but a bowling ball. Was this planned? Where did the bowling ball come from?

Anyone know what the sentencing is for a juvenille in TX with a capital murder conviction?

WTHell...... A bowling ball? I know this house was abandoned. Did the previous residences leave a bowling ball behind. Those things are not readily available. My husband and I both have balls b/c that was what we enjoyed doing before we had kiddos. Though they have been sitting around forever only getting used recently since the kids are older and able to join in. Well no I have a bowling ball 2 months ago when we decided lets go bowling and take the kids we realized his ball had a meeting with Texas heat and exploded in the bag. (He just had to buy some kind of special ball.)

I just have not been able to bring myself to thank any of these posts since Sida was found. But I do thank you all for posting them here. I just can't...

so sorry for you little man.

I heard about the bowling ball last night on the news and its' horrific :(
The only comfort I could find in that is thinking that made it quicker than
repeated hits . Before I had imagined this older boy hitting him dozens of times
which would take a really long time and now I think it may have been very quick, so
Sida's suffering and time of fear is less. Rest in peace little angel. I'm so sorry you
crossed a monster's path.

http://www.star-telegram.com/2013/06/28/4970644/teen-accused-of-fatally-beating.html

The suspect, who is not being identified because he is a juvenile, wore handcuffs shackled to a belt around his waist during the morning hearing. Dressed in a tan jumpsuit issued to juvenile defendants, the teen showed little emotion as he stood before the judge.

BBM - this sentence sends chills down my spine. :( What on earth could he be capable of if he is ever released back into society (which I'd imagine he will at some point). You can't rehabilitate lack of empathy.

I don't beleive it was only twice. My immediate thought when I read twice, was he knew he had to say more than once and came up with twice..... I think an autopsy will have a better gauge at the number of blows.

isn't he too young for capital murder?
this case makes me sick, literally queasy.

isn't he too young for capital murder?
this case makes me sick, literally queasy.

"Even though Texas is viewed around the country as a state that has fast-tracked capital punishment, Texas appears to be a bit kinder when it comes to juveniles. Having already outlawed the death penalty for juveniles, as of September 1, 2009, Texas also has outlawed life sentences without the possibility of parole for juveniles convicted of capital murder."

http://www.houstongalvestonlawyer.c...Longer-Eligible-for-Life-Without-Parole.shtml

The way I always understood the Graham ruling was this: juveniles cannot be sentenced to LWOP for non- homicide crimes. They cannot receive the death penalty (what most of us think when we hear "capital") but they can still receive a LWOP sentence. For example- in Louisiana the sentence for an adult convicted of 1st Degree Murder is mandatory LWOP. In a juvenile case, they can still be sentenced to LWOP but LWOP cannot be the mandatory sentence- sentencing juveniles must have other options besides LWOP.
I am no where near a legal expert, this is MOO and how I always believed the Graham ruling worked.

"Even though Texas is viewed around the country as a state that has fast-tracked capital punishment, Texas appears to be a bit kinder when it comes to juveniles. Having already outlawed the death penalty for juveniles, as of September 1, 2009, Texas also has outlawed life sentences without the possibility of parole for juveniles convicted of capital murder."

http://www.houstongalvestonlawyer.c...Longer-Eligible-for-Life-Without-Parole.shtml

The way I always understood the Graham ruling was this: juveniles cannot be sentenced to LWOP for non- homicide crimes. They cannot receive the death penalty (what most of us think when we hear "capital") but they can still receive a LWOP sentence. For example- in Louisiana the sentence for an adult convicted of 1st Degree Murder is mandatory LWOP. In a juvenile case, they can still be sentenced to LWOP but LWOP cannot be the mandatory sentence- sentencing juveniles must have other options besides LWOP.
I am no where near a legal expert, this is MOO and how I always believed the Graham ruling worked.

Quoting myself to add- the link says Texas has outlawed LWOP for juveniles convicted of Capital Murder. I wonder if they get around that by sentencing them to 99 years or something similar like Louisiana used to do?

I kept finding info about 40 year sentences, but that was for 14,15,16 and 17 yr olds. I couldn't find anything about 13 yr olds......... and I think, but am not certain 40 years is the minimum sentence for juvenille offenders convicted of capital murder.

I sure wish a verified attorney from TX would chime in here.

I kept finding info about 40 year sentences, but that was for 14,15,16 and 17 yr olds. I couldn't find anything about 13 yr olds......... and I think, but am not certain 40 years is the minimum sentence for juvenille offenders convicted of capital murder.

I sure wish a verified attorney from TX would chime in here.

Here is a case from Sept 2010 involving capital murder charges for child killers ages 12 & 13. It talks a little about Texas law but not much about sentencing. I'm going to try and google the victims and see if this case ever went to trial and/or sentencing.

http://www.salon.com/2010/09/03/teen_capital_murder/

ETA: Juvenile sentences in a last capital murder case: http://www.dallasnews.com/news/community-news/garland-mesquite/headlines/20110328-garland-teenager-gets-20-years-in-shooting-deaths-of-mother-stepfather.ece

Thank you, guys! I hope Sida's murderer gets the 40 years, if that is the max.

I am running late here so will have to read the links later, but thank you!

I have to say I do not think he can be rehabilitated. Not blaming his mother but for yrs he has been a problem, a ticking time bomb it seems. I do think she should have been his advocate and pushed to have the courts do something more to help him and her out. Even if that meant letting him go and placing him in a home that could help address these issues he has. She obviously was in over her head with him and not able to control him. Not sure what kind of man he will be when he is released but it does not look promising right now.

I have to say I do not think he can be rehabilitated. Not blaming his mother but for yrs he has been a problem, a ticking time bomb it seems. I do think she should have been his advocate and pushed to have the courts do something more to help him and her out. Even if that meant letting him go and placing him in a home that could help address these issues he has. She obviously was in over her head with him and not able to control him. Not sure what kind of man he will be when he is released but it does not look promising right now.

I agree. Though there are some things that the courts can not and will not do which are the parents responsibility. I'm curious as to what resources she sought out for him that were not through the court. I hope she did, and did not rely solely on the court system to do it for her.

I have to agree with his not being able to be rehabilitated. It takes one cold person to beat a little child to death in the manner Sida was murdered.

FORT WORTH - 5-year-old Sida Osman was laid to rest at a Muslim cemetery in Joshua, after he was allegedly beaten to death by a 13-year-old neighbor.
<snip>
People who knew the teen say he was a troublemaker who tried to start fights with other kids.
"This kid is known for fighting little kids," Trealon Clark said. "He had a fight here. I stopped him from fighting a girl right here, he punched her two times in the mouth."

Read more: http://www.myfoxdfw.com/story/22689542/police-need-help-finding-missing-5-year-old#ixzz2XfrEFGf4

This recent spate of children killing children is downright terrifying. Leila Fowler, Autumn Pasquale, the 4 & 10 year old Utah brothers, the Romes brothers, Skylar Neese and now this little angel - all killed by other children. What is going on that so many of our children are murdering their peers as carelessly as they might destroy an old toy? Our justice system is simply not equipped to handle these crimes. The shameful lack of therapeutic and rehabilitative services combined with laws that ensure these young killers will one day walk free means that they will likely renter society far worse than they went in and with even less of a support system and fewer coping skills.

I have over a decade of experience focusing on juvenile delinquents and mental health services- so many thoughts come to mind as I read everyone's posts that I wanted to share from my perspective....
The first point I want to make is that it is certainly possible that his mother tried very hard to get her son help, and that she is not to blame here. I have not worked in Texas, but in the 2 states that I have experience in, and quite a few other states that clients had come from, there is a very very serious problem in the systems that are supposed to help children with conduct issues. I have worked with so many parents and guardians as they desperately sought to get help for minor children with anger, stealing, running away, etc. problems. There are few to no options available. If a family is rich, then there are some treatment programs that a child can be sent. If not, then if you have private health insurance, you can take your child to counseling services (outpatient, usually an hour a week.) Counseling helps people who want help. Counseling does not read minds or force someone to share their inner feelings, etc. I was considered a minor expert by a University program as one who knows how to deliver counseling to resistant delinquents. Meeting with a 13 year old with abandonment issues and probably PTSD would take a very very long time- and traditional counseling offered by most insurances, including medicaid, is not the way to help these kids. They need a different format, which is not available in the areas I am familiar with- unless you have tens of thousands to spend. Group homes and other treatment institutions are typically for kids who are wards of the state, private out of pocket pay, or court ordered. Unfortunately, too many families are faced with the choice to either hand over custody of their child, or do the best you can until the child does something bad enough to be locked up. There is one more option- long term psychiatric hospitalization. But a child has to be in danger to self or others. If a child does not say they plan to hurt self or someone else, with specific plans, it is very difficult to impossible to have them hospitalized long term. I have had plenty of kids that I was sure were going to eventually do something really bad to someone else, and my hands were tied to commit them because it is based on their words- ie say I don't want to hurt anyone and there you have it....
Sorry so long, but suffice it to say it is a system failure, IMO.
Will make my second point in a following post for sake of space

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Velvetshadow
Back