TX - Six family members slain in Christmas murder-suicide, Grapevine, 25 Dec 2011

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Wasn't there another case where a man killed his relatives on Thanksgiving?
WEST PALM BEACH, Fla. – A South Florida man pleaded guilty Thursday to gunning down four relatives during a 2009 Thanksgiving massacre in a deal that will spare him the death penalty in exchange for seven consecutive life sentences.

Family members wept in court, calling Paul Merhige a monster and describing daily life that became unbearable after he killed their loved ones in a rampage that sparked a massive manhunt. Merhige was found about a month later at a motel in the Florida Keys.
---
Read more: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2011/10/2...tives-in-thanksgiving-massacre/#ixzz1hfg87lRR

oh no I was thinking that at the start. So the younger victims were hs grandchildren or neices and nephews..........how could he?

Actually, I get the impression it may have been his own son and daughter.

I just read about this. How tragic. I wonder if they even had a chance to realize what was happening before it happened. After celebrating such a wonderful holiday with my own family, it's hard to imagine what could drive someone to do something like this, especially in the way that they did.

I just read about this. How tragic. I wonder if they even had a chance to realize what was happening before it happened. After celebrating such a wonderful holiday with my own family, it's hard to imagine what could drive someone to do something like this, especially in the way that they did.

With so many victims, it's hard to imagine that the latter ones didn't know what was coming, or realize who was killing them. It is truly sad that a joyous holiday celebration can turn into such tragedy.

MOO

Son of a gun. (gun is not the word I used in my head).

Why not just shoot yourself? Why take everyone with you? grrr.

Son of a gun. (gun is not the word I used in my head).

Why not just shoot yourself? Why take everyone with you? grrr.

Exactly. They are cowards.

Yes, that's the part I don't get. Even if you have some reason to strongly dislike or even hate another person, and you intend to kill yourself, why not save some of the bad karma and just commit suicide without the murders?

And I have a really hard time seeing how that many people could have committed such a wrong to warrant a dramatic response like that.

ohhhh.........what to say? Just a stream of thoughts here
I now pray (as I never did before) as the Christmas season begins against such violence and tragedy because it is becoming too frequent and predictable
I then see it in the news
The circumstances become more horrendous and evil
The victims become more duped and unaware
I don't understand it
It hurts like he&* to read it
I believe the victims all go to Heaven
I feel sorry for the cops and first responders
I hope families try their best to support the 'estranged' ones in their families to their best ability
I hope it was quick
I pray for the killer

Or-actually, I pray AGAINST the killer and his actions. I do pray for his Soul.

Every day in this life we have an opportunity to make a difference..........in someone's life or situation. Be it helping them or reporting them or listening. Let us try this new year to be a help to a neighbor, friend, or even a stranger.
Sometimes we think we didn't do enough. Or we think we did too much interfering. But we don't see the other side of what we did not do or try.
The movie 'A Wonderful Life' exhibits that notion. We are all here for a reason. Sometimes we wonder why. We may never know why....but we do have a duty to keep going.
One never knows when they make a difference.

Keep the faith Websleuthers.

Yes, it sounds like estranged wife and children lived there and possibly two relatives visiting for Christmas... Sad.

Not sure if all of this info was included in the earlier article, but here's an update, for what it's worth. The perpetrator and some of the victims have been identified by name by neighbors and friends.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/grapevine-update-136236323.html
Sad stuff:
---
Dozens of friends posted messages of condolence on Nona's Facebook page.

"I've written on her Facebook wall as kind of a memorial thing, but my immediate reaction was to text her — even though I knew she wouldn't answer," Allison Baum [19-year-old Nona Yazdanpanah's best friend] said.
---
Meanwhile, family friends say they will never understand what caused [Aziz] Yazdanpanah to kill his entire family.

"I don't honestly believe that the dad could have done this because he was a good person," Allison Baum said.
---
much more at TXredhead178's link above

Not sure if all of this info was included in the earlier article, but here's an update, for what it's worth. The perpetrator and some of the victims have been identified by name by neighbors and friends.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/grapevine-update-136236323.html

From the link above.

The Colleyville home where Aziz Yazdanpanah lived had been foreclosed on more than a year ago.

Sounds like financial problems.

Is that an Egyptian name in the article? Anyone know?

Yazdanpanah is a Persian last name.

The Iran-born Aziz Yazdanpanah became the focus of detectives after his vehicle was found outside the flat, and police believe he made a silent call to emergency services.

“The Persian community is devastated,” said Mashy Modjdehi, a friend of both Yazdanpanah’s wife of 24 years, Fatemah Rahmati, and her sister, Zohreh, who also was killed. Modjdehi called the two sisters “the nicest people in the world – angels”.

http://www.iol.co.za/dailynews/news/killer-santa-was-bankrupt-1.1205079

Father dressed as Santa gunned down entire family on Christmas Day because 'he was upset his estranged wife was doing well on her own'
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...panah-shot-family-jealous-estranged-wife.html

Alleged gunman in Grapevine massacre had past with police
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/More...apevine-Christmas-Day-shooting-136267618.html

Brother of two Grapevine shooting victims 'shattered' after loss
http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/More...apevine-Christmas-Day-shooting-136267618.html

He said Aziz Yazdanpanah had been unemployed for 12 years. Nasrin Rahmati was the sole provider for the family during those years, until Dr. Rhamaty became a benefactor for her and the 2 children.

The bank foreclosed on their Colleyville home more than a year ago and the family had no running water or electricity. Dr. Rahmaty felt he had to get his sister, niece and nephew out of that situation and moved them into the Grapevine apartment where the shooting took place. Despite the marital problems between Aziz Yazdanpanah and his sister, Dr. Rahmaty held no ill will toward his brother-in-law.

"We tried to help the suspect to find a job, to provide for his family," Dr. Rahmaty said.

He said Aziz Yazdanpanah had a key to the apartment. A decision he now questions.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ewreckk35
Back