TX TX - Stacie Madison, 17, & Susan Smalley, 18, Carrollton, 19 March 1988

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
My name is Shawn Sutherland. I am the author of the book about the 1988 disappearances of Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley entitled This Night Wounds Time. The Friends of the Carrollton Public Library have invited me to discuss the book on the evening of Monday, May 24, 2010 at 7:00 p.m. It is anticipated that this "event" will take place at the Josey Ranch branch of the Carrollton Public Library, although this is subject to change depending upon the amount of interest it generates. This meeting is open to the public.

My name is Shawn Sutherland. I am the author of the book This Night Wounds Time, which examines the Madison/Smalley case.

I delivered an address about the book to the Friends of the Carrollton Public Library on Monday, May 24, 2010. A complete transcript of that address is available at http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?uid=59664093867&topic=15122

The readers of this board will probably be most interested in the following excerpt:

"As I’ve said, this book was written to reignite fires that had long grown cold. I stand here tonight happy to report that it served that purpose; the Carrollton Police Department is back on this case, with possibly more gusto than they’ve ever had! Not only that, but the Denton County District Attorney’s Office 'is assisting the Carrollton Police Department with the investigation' and, this is a direct quote from them to me, 'our office became involved after the book revealed a possible Denton County connection to this crime. At that point we offered our assistance to the Carrollton Police Department.' I know all of this because I can finally reveal that - since shortly after the publication of this book - I’ve been working with the Carrollton Police Department as a 'consultant' on the case."

"'88 case of missing teens gets jump-start: Book spurs investigators to re-examine episode that shook Carrollton"
By Jon Nielsen
The Dallas Morning News
July 6, 2010

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcon...llton/stories/070610dnmetmissing.20496b1.html

The poster is from another generation.

A dozen tiny pinpricks above the words "MISSING PERSONS" mark where the flier has been tacked and retacked onto a bulletin board in the Carrollton Police Department lobby.

Below the block text pounded out on an old typewriter are pictures of the two teens missing since 1988.

Stacie Madison and Susan Renee Smalley stare back from their senior class photos. Their smiles, frozen in time, express youthful optimism.

Thousands of Carrollton residents remember the days and weeks after the teens vanished. They remember the posters scattered about the city and in the windows of businesses up and down Forest Lane, a popular teen hangout where the girls disappeared.

Time passed. The headlines subsided. As Carrollton grew, the memory faded until a full-time paralegal decided to write a book that reignited the investigation.

more at link probably

Dellemma, thanks for taking the time to reply.

I’m wondering a few things.

Why would the car be left where it was and locked?
I’m assuming this would have been in the early hours of the Sunday morning.
Was there a diner or restaurant nearby?

Did they meet up with someone they knew?

Were they planning to go to a party?
I note they tried to buy beer earlier in the evening.

What might the police know that has never been released to the public?
They usually have knowledge of an evidentiary nature.

It would be interesting to know the theories of detectives that worked the case.

Soon it will be 20 years since these young ladies vanished.
It is extremely unlikely the case will be solved and that is sad.

It is highly likely and very unfortunate that they simply crossed paths with a predator.

Yes, There was an Asian restaurant nearby and a Mexican Restaurant. If two young people were looking for alcohol, do they have rice sakki or beer at Asian restaurant, or possibly beer at Mexican restaurant?

‎"Reconnecting can lead to connection in case"
By James Roth
The Carrollton Leader
July 16, 2010
http://www.courier-gazette.com/articles/2010/07/16/carrollton_leader/news/78.txt

A 1988 missing persons’ case involving two popular Carrollton girls is drawing new attention because of modern technology.

On March 19, 1988, Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley were two normal girls who attended Newman Smith High School just months away from graduation. However, after that night, the city of Carrollton was changed forever.

That evening, Madison and Smalley traveled to many locations across the Metroplex. According to police, the girls went to the mall, then to a friends party in Arlington and then to a Steak and Ale restaurant in Addison where Smalley worked.

more at link probably

I live very close to where the car was found. I wonder if they drove it there to meet someone, to just hang out or if they met up with someone someplace else and that person drove the car to this site to dump it so it wouldn't stand out right away.

Late last year a thought provoking book about the mystery was released. It is titled This Night Wounds Time.
It is a cheap book to purchase as no profits are being made by the author.
It was written in the hope it would help solve this crime.
You can read about the book at Amazon.

I didn’t have too much of a clue about this case but now I think I know who had reason to be the abductor.
The trick is for investigators to make a case. Life wasn’t meant to be easy.

I need to find a copy of this book.

I need to find a copy of this book.

Order it through Amazon; that's how I got mine. I've read it four times now, and I'm pretty sure I know who is responsible. PD needs concrete proof, though, before they can do anything.

I will look on Amazon. Did reading the book also give you ideas as to where they might be?

I will look on Amazon. Did reading the book also give you ideas as to where they might be?

The book gives the possibility of a very specific location. I'm surprised they don't use ground penetrating radar to see if the bodies could be located.

So the September 19th post on the Facebook page for these girls says that someone mentioned in the book, as Jason Lawton, is under investigation for another offense? Anyone know if this info will be traced back the the disappearances? The blog for the book and Facebook page are not discussing it at this time.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=59664093867&v=wall&ref=mf

I find it weird that Stacie's boyfriend KE wasn't concerned that night. He said she was supposed to pick him up from work when his shift ended at 10:45 that Saturday night. When she was a no-show, he found another way home, then went to bed "puzzled". If I had been him, I would have tried calling her on the phone and calling her mom and friends to find out what had happened. As her boyfriend, I would've been worried enough to find out something. It was like he couldn't be bothered; or maybe that's not the real story he told.......By the way, I've GOT to order this book!

It must be a year since the book 'This Night Wounds Time' was released.

Sadly, the case status hasn't changed and it is highly unlikely it ever will.

Many will believe they know who carried out this double abduction but proving it is another matter.

I got the book at the library yesterday and have already finished it. Very well written. Several things stood out that I would like to discuss but I want to re-read it first. I will say that from the initial reading, I think the guys in Arlington look as good if not better as suspects than the Lawton guy.

their mothers might not have another 22 yrs to wait,,... so sad

I think those girls were sold into slavery somewhere overseas

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Photos-Could-Help-Explain-Teen-Girls-Disappearance-136341053.html

Photos Could Help Explain Teen Girls' Disappearance

Carrollton police need help identifying people in pictures
By Sara Story
| Wednesday, Dec 28, 2011 | Updated 9:44 PM CST

The Carrollton Police Department is are asking for the public's help in solving a case that happened more than 20 years ago.

Two teenage girls, Stacie Madison and Susan Smalley, vanished in March 1988. Their disappearance remains a mystery.

The pictures released by the police containing the people they would like to identify are at the above link...

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alicat3
Back