TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #47

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I've had something rattling around in my head. This SP character seems to be directing the bulk of their time to physically assaulting the church. If this kind of behavior took place in your own home, you would walk in on it and think, "Who would do this to me?" "What did I do to deserve this kind of disrespect?" "That SOB just busted the place up! He didn't even steal anything!" You weren't home. In lieu of your absence, your own SP decided to beat your stuff up instead. They've done to your home what they don't have the guts to do to your face. After the incident, you feel violated, fearful, confounded, unsafe in your own home, your refuge. Its a kind of psychological rape. Your sense of security withers, you're intimidated. Your personal sense of power and control is severely diminished. You feel intimidated by what you cannot see, because they left behind something you CAN see.

Let's face it, B&E is a violent act against property requiring a measure of anger to fuel the act. Anger against what? An individual? Society in general? An institution? Its bad enough to do this kind of thing to you, a private citizen, but a church? A church is considered God's House, a place that symbolizes refuge, fellowship, coming together, love, kindness, compassion and the personal residence of the highest authority. SP doesn't show a shard of respect for any of that. SP wanders God's house like an angry ghost, a kind of lonesome, malevolent poltergeist. The odd man out. No respect for even the highest authority. Forget the murder for a moment. For a few moments think about what you see going on in that church happening in your own home.

I've had something rattling around in my head. This SP character seems to be directing the bulk of their time to physically assaulting the church. If this kind of behavior took place in your own home, you would walk in on it and think, "Who would do this to me?" "What did I do to deserve this kind of disrespect?" "That SOB just busted the place up! He didn't even steal anything!" You weren't home. In lieu of your absence, your own SP decided to beat your stuff up instead. They've done to your home what they don't have the guts to do to your face. After the incident, you feel violated, fearful, confounded, unsafe in your own home, your refuge. Its a kind of psychological rape. Your sense of security withers, you're intimidated. Your personal sense of power and control is severely diminished. You feel intimidated by what you cannot see, because they left behind something you CAN see.

Let's face it, B&E is a violent act against property requiring a measure of anger to fuel the act. Anger against what? An individual? Society in general? An institution? Its bad enough to do this kind of thing to you, a private citizen, but a church? A church is considered God's House, a place that symbolizes refuge, fellowship, coming together, love, kindness, compassion and the personal residence of the highest authority. SP doesn't show a shard of respect for any of that. SP wanders God's house like an angry ghost, a kind of lonesome, malevolent poltergeist. The odd man out. No respect for even the highest authority. Forget the murder for a moment. For a few moments think about what you see going on in that church happening in your own home.

To me that is the weirdest part of this case. The acting out seems to blur the lines of who or what the actual target is.

To me that is the weirdest part of this case. The acting out seems to blur the lines of who or what the actual target is.
Exactly. Think of this entire situation happening in your own home. You're not there, its the dead of night and the hammering, prying and breakage is going on. Your wife decides to go home, because she's not sure she turned the oven off, or forgot to feed the neighbor's dog, whatever. She goes back to the house, opens the back door and your SP, clad in balaklava, helmet and police vest, meets her right there in the kitchen. She's thinking, "What's a cop doing here?" He's thinking, "HOLY S**T!"

Here's where your SP's level of self-control and experience becomes an indicator of his level of criminal sophistication. Does he use his ruse to talk his way out of the confrontation, or is he so deep into his plan that this abrupt intervention, this reality wake-up call, blows his gaskets? If he chooses the first solution, she is mollified and he backs off leaving her alive. If he loses self-control, he blasts her and she's dead.

The incongruity that hangs over this crime is the leap it takes from a simple B&E to murder. From wandering lackadaisically door to door and bypassing valuables - to a murderous explosion. SP appears to have switched gears in a heartbeat. Unexpected confrontation.

Unless you believe like I do that the damage to the church was done for staging. And I don't believe the staging was done to confuse LE, I believe it was done to explain why a "cop" was in the building when Missy entered. My theory is that this was an attempted abduction and he needed to get Missy as close to him as possible without her becoming alarmed.

Unless you believe like I do that the damage to the church was done for staging. And I don't believe the staging was done to confuse LE, I believe it was done to explain why a "cop" was in the building when Missy entered. My theory is that this was an attempted abduction and he needed to get Missy as close to him as possible without her becoming alarmed.
Might be, but why not use the cop ruse to meet her outside, and offer her a ride in their own vehicle and away from an "active police matter"? A lot of serial killers used the cop ruse and got away with it. By using the uniform, SP could have gained her compliance and avoided breaking in and being on camera altogether.

Last edited:
Might be, but why not use the cop ruse to meet her outside, and offer her a ride in their own vehicle and away from an "active police matter"? By using the uniform, he could have gained her compliance and avoided breaking in and being on camera altogether.
Good point. Although if I pull up and see a cop in full riot gear standing outside a building I'm about to enter, I'm probably not getting out of my truck.

I just can't see why, if his purpose was targeting and killing MB, B&E was necessary at all. If SP was bent on killing MB, there were better, less complicated ways to do it. Why take the high risk of discovery? Why spend so much time committing mischief in the church? Even if SP's logic had him covered by a half-hearted burglary, he still killed a woman. Did SP really believe LE was going to pay more attention to the B&E than the body laid out and bleeding nearby? How many times have you heard cops say, "I don't care about the five pounds of weed he had, I'm a homocide cop. I want to know why you were the last person to see him."

Homicide cops aren't necessarily so easily fooled by staging.

Here's another thing that gets me. Before he murders Missy, the little white object appears. Whether it was a box of shortbread cookies, a pen holder, a box of Ziplocks, or a big, fat, chocolate bar - it appears SP swiped it. Punk.

Reportedly, nothing was taken from the church. Fantasizing about it is IMO, not helpful. And psychoanalysis of an unknown character/perpetrator is a frivolous adventure. This is a perplexing murder case, not your run-of- the-mill B&E. Short of a confession, I suspect this case will not be solved. JMO

Reportedly, nothing was taken from the church. Fantasizing about it is IMO, not helpful. And psychoanalysis of an unknown character/perpetrator is a frivolous adventure. This is a perplexing murder case, not your run-of- the-mill B&E. Short of a confession, I suspect this case will not be solved. JMO
I respect your opinion, but I disagree.
JMHO

AHEM. I know of no other B&E that has inspired 47 threads of discussion over the course of 5 years

I'm fairly sure the intriguing video (which shows the perp without really making it knowable who he is or exactly what he's doing) and the murder (of a young physically fit pretty woman) has something to do with the 47 threads. Maybe even more than the B&E, doncha think??

I'm fairly sure the intriguing video (which shows the perp without really making it knowable who he is or exactly what he's doing) and the murder (of a young physically fit pretty woman) has something to do with the 47 threads. Maybe even more than the B&E, doncha think??

LOL. That was my sarcastic point. This was a murder. B&E's, of course, are offensive to victims, but normally the victims are the only ones ranting about them years after the fact. In this case, the victim of the B&E was a church. They have probably moved on about the damages, and are glad nothing was stolen. But the victim of the subsequent MURDER was Missy (and all who cared about her). JMO

So, no murder weapon left at the scene? No gun? No hammer? No prybar? No church tools?
Does anyone have links to official information specifically mentioning this?

Cady already gave some info on this but here's something a bit more sourced for you, coming direct from LE at the Apr 22 PC.

“We found tools around the crime scene and are currently analyzing them."

See www.yourglenrosetx.com/article/20160422/NEWS/160429778

Cady already gave some info on this but here's something a bit more sourced for you, coming direct from LE at the Apr 22 PC.

“We found tools around the crime scene and are currently analyzing them."

See www.yourglenrosetx.com/article/20160422/NEWS/160429778
Yah. I had seen that one. Well, in the moment, you can hammer and pry...or you can shoot...unless you're an octopus. I still think this is a B&E that never became a burglary, because it was interrupted by an unexpected presence and a murder.

Last edited:
I've recently come across a case I didn't know about on Websleuths, it is the cold case of Chelsea Small. There is CCTV footage of the perp. A most wonderful poster named dotr started the page and has kept it going. If anyone's interested in checking out the clothing and hat he's wearing that would be great .... you're all so good at that, have a look, maybe you can identify the emblem. He has a distinct hat and clothing. Just thought I'd pass on this info if anyone's interested. Cheers

I've recently come across a case I didn't know about on Websleuths, it is the cold case of Chelsea Small. There is CCTV footage of the perp. A most wonderful poster named dotr started the page and has kept it going. If anyone's interested in checking out the clothing and hat he's wearing that would be great .... you're all so good at that, have a look, maybe you can identify the emblem. He has a distinct hat and clothing. Just thought I'd pass on this info if anyone's interested. Cheers

Can you link? Sometimes the Search box doesn't seem to cooperate with me...Senior Moment, Blonde Moment, COVID Moment, take your pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jake12