TX TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers, 45, killed in church/suspect in SWAT gear, Midlothian, 18 Apr 2016 #49

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
possible- just think fleeing would have been easier than committing murder but agree that burglars can be irrational-
Since the person is already dressed in a fake police uniform, imagine if s/he had just said: "Mam, there's been a break in here; this is a crime scene; I need you to leave the building." Some on this board have said that the uniform looks fake and that there is no police car, but personally, in that situation, I would not be evaluating the uniform or knowing whether there might be an unmarked car- I would probably leave first and ask questions later, IMO. You would think that a burglar would dress up in the uniform to act like police if confronted...

I completely agree that the with the point about the uniform at least temporarily ensuring victim or witness cooperation. If someone dressed in a police uniform knocks on my door and wants to come in my house, I am going to ask for proof, but if I am in a public or semi-public place and the uniformed person gives me directions, I would likely follow the instructions. The uniform allows the "officer" to say to a witness "Ma'am, I need you to leave" but would also make a potential victim more likely to comply with directions, at least initially. "Ma'am, there has been a crime; I am going to need you to go through the hall in this direction . . . "

If it was 4am in a church and someone was decked out fully in SWAT gear, ALONE (SWAT is always a team, it is not a one man show), with a hammer in hand, and no standard weapon out like a SWAT member would have, it wouldn't raise a few alarm bells for you?

I can't imagine anyone with any sense at all thinking it was remotely normal to be approached by someone dressed that way at 4am.

I do think that the murderer may have thought it could lead to more compliance, but it was much more so to conceal identity, keep forensics off, add a small layer of protection, and throw general confusion into the case (and it all worked).

Does anyone know the age of the special needs students that MB taught?
Little kids, teens, adults?

I don't think there is much to that angle.

It was a long time ago, and Missy did not teach special needs for an extend period of time, 2-3 years max. There was also about a 15 year gap from when she stopped teaching and when she was murdered.

"After working in the retail industry for several years, Missy met and married her husband Brandon Bevers on June 20, 1998.

With a renewed focus on life, Missy went back to school to get her teaching certificate in Special Education. Missy taught for several years until the birth of her first daughter, Hannah, March 11, 2001."

Source for obituary:

Today as I was walking towards a pharmacy, I suddenly thought of the gait.
Once in my lifetime, I was prescribed something that caused mild neuropathy. Not the drug known to cause it, even, but go guess... It went away as soon as they changed it. I remember this typical "gloves and stockings" numbness and while in general, mild, it was rather unpleasant. But I remember that the gait slightly changed, as we depend on our proprioceptors. I wouldn't be surprised if it looked slightly like that person's one.

Now, there are so many things that can cause neuropathies.

The list itself is interesting. See how many of these meds are cancer-related? These would be something unpleasant but impossible to stop.

Alcohol - but for some reason, I am not sure the person is an alcoholic. But if they are, interestingly, disulfuram (antabuse) causes neuropathies, too.

Some HIV drugs are on the list.

Antiseizure and cardiac ones I put lower because they are usually interchangeable or replaceable. (Although, one of them, topiramate, is so widely used for everything these days that it should be considered. Another thing we often use but forget about its side effects? Minoxidil for hair loss).

And of course, diabetes can cause neuropathy, and it is probably the first thing that should be mentioned.

I suspect that the person either didn't realize that they were taking something causing peripheral neuropathy, or maybe, the condition was such that the medication could not be stopped, think cancer.

My first impression when I watched the video was that the murderer had diabetes.
"diabetes can cause neuropathy"

@x_files , some chemo therapy agents cause neuropathy. For some patients, this improves once chemo is finished, for others it persists.

No link, that's what my oncology nurse practitioner told me during a follow-up.

btw time & compression socks have improved mine greatly.

Also, an extended family member had kidney problems and Parkinson's -- doctors explained that both can cause neuropathy.

Hhhmmm, someone with a terminal illness -- might consider behaviors that others don't?

More options than we want!

jmho ymmv lrr

I don't think there is much to that angle.

It was a long time ago, and Missy did not teach special needs for an extend period of time, 2-3 years max. There was also about a 15 year gap from when she stopped teaching and when she was murdered.

"After working in the retail industry for several years, Missy met and married her husband Brandon Bevers on June 20, 1998.

With a renewed focus on life, Missy went back to school to get her teaching certificate in Special Education. Missy taught for several years until the birth of her first daughter, Hannah, March 11, 2001."

Source for obituary:
Thank you for that, @lonewanderer!

Whatever our theories and postulations, and there are many, it’s still unsolved. No arrests, no convictions. When was the last warrant issued? On that limp, lame, creepy tribute or cover or whatever band groupie theory tip? How many other unsolved homicides is Midlothian coddling? Many? Bust it all up. One? Just this one? Why, how? What’s the problem? I think they need to call in well meant assistance. And I mean well. But letting a cold case grow colder is counter productive.

@x_files , some chemo therapy agents cause neuropathy. For some patients, this improves once chemo is finished, for others it persists.

No link, that's what my oncology nurse practitioner told me during a follow-up.

btw time & compression socks have improved mine greatly.

Also, an extended family member had kidney problems and Parkinson's -- doctors explained that both can cause neuropathy.

Hhhmmm, someone with a terminal illness -- might consider behaviors that others don't?

More options than we want!

jmho ymmv lrr

aw, great point! Is anyone in her circle going through chemo? Don't answer it on her. Just thinking out loud.

Whatever our theories and postulations, and there are many, it’s still unsolved. No arrests, no convictions. When was the last warrant issued? On that limp, lame, creepy tribute or cover or whatever band groupie theory tip? How many other unsolved homicides is Midlothian coddling? Many? Bust it all up. One? Just this one? Why, how? What’s the problem? I think they need to call in well meant assistance. And I mean well. But letting a cold case grow colder is counter productive.

The case needs a fresh pair of eyes on it. Too bad the FBI cannot take a look. After watching a few True Crime documents, like Netflix's 'American Nightmare' I think new investigators need to take a look at the case.
Something is being overlooked.

The case needs a fresh pair of eyes on it. Too bad the FBI cannot take a look. After watching a few True Crime documents, like Netflix's 'American Nightmare' I think new investigators need to take a look at the case.
Something is being overlooked.
One hundred percent agree. In my opinion this case can be solved. There hasn't been enough movement in this case.

A rather fair and large number of orthopedic, chemotheropeutic and neurological conditions affect gait - including FASD which also results in characteristic facial features including hooded eyelids, thin upper lips and underbites. Psychologically and sociologically, FASD often results in criminal behavior due to lack of impulse control - property damage, theft, assault.

I feel like if the murderer was there just to kill Missy they wouldn't have wanted to make anything look like it was broken into or she would just leave and call the police. The only thing they might break into would be a room that they knew she would be in so they could wait for her, but I don't think they would break the glass to do it.

I believe it was a burglary and Missy tried to stop them and was killed either because they couldn't get away because of their physical limitations or because Missy saw their face. Based on that I think the limp is real because a burglar might hide their appearance but probably not their gait. I also feel like the height of the murderer could be off because of the camera angle that it was filmed at.

I feel like if the murderer was there just to kill Missy they wouldn't have wanted to make anything look like it was broken into or she would just leave and call the police. The only thing they might break into would be a room that they knew she would be in so they could wait for her, but I don't think they would break the glass to do it.

I believe it was a burglary and Missy tried to stop them and was killed either because they couldn't get away because of their physical limitations or because Missy saw their face. Based on that I think the limp is real because a burglar might hide their appearance but probably not their gait. I also feel like the height of the murderer could be off because of the camera angle that it was filmed at.
I think, they knew, where to break in before Missy B. even showed up. They knew, from where Missy B. would arrive. She would have parked her car near the SW entrance because of the bad weather and because she had to carry the sports equipment into the church. Therefore she couldn't notice the break-in at the back side. MOO

IMHO - they don't care to solve it.

Or they know and don't have the evidence or resources to make the case.
In another small town not too far away the sheriff has decided a missing man was devoured by feral hogs and ... case closed. Sometimes it's true there is just not the will nor the resources for the job.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TommieHouston
Back