TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #29

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
<modsnip>

I don't think you or I have nearly enough info to criticize MT just because of a couple of quotes. I've conducted and been on the receiving end of enough media interviews to know that often reporters ask leading questions, which can result in a quote that appears much more aggressive than it really was.

I think we need to be careful about "mother in law bias" here. So many of us have witnessed strained relationships between a spouse and a parent in law that it is tempting to assume a strained relationship.

But MB and MT did not have the typical in law relationship. They had been co-workers and knew each other before MB ever even met BB. Again, I see nothing to indicate passive aggressive behavior on MT's behalf and her longstanding relationship with MB would indicate otherwise. JMHO

<modsnip>What is in the media is within TOS and up for discussion.

There is no duty to speak to the media, ever. Someone who chooses to speak to the media most definitely should consider how their comments will be construed. I keep thinking of Susan Smith who murdered her boys, but went before the cameras crying and pleading - convincing everyone except LE. While we have learned of bucket list fishing expeditions, shirts bloodied in dog fight and crock pot meals (and frankly MT's obvious implication was that a crock pot meal was somehow "less than" a proper meal, and it is our opinions that do not matter since this is MT's expressed opinion and attitude under discussion) - and we have heard that BB would forgive the killer if they come forward - what we never seem to hear is a plea for information from the public, for someone to come forward. I have no expectation of Susan Smith crocodile tears, but JMO, MT and BB comments to the media are more focused on their loss and not focused on making a plea to Find the Killer. JMO it is odd.

I disagree. The family is in the national spotlight because they put themselves there. Ms. Bevers, the primary victim, is in the spotlight. Considering the ages of the children, all the more reason to remain out of the spotlight and very simply attained by staying quiet. The idea that public opinion would be negative seems unfounded, as there appears to be absolutely no negativity focused on Ms. Bevers family of origin.
The over used phrase "grieve differently" is often used to rationalize behaviors that seem outside the norm. It is also important to consider the difference between anticipatory death and traumatic death.
We have no history (and are not entitled to history nor should we be asking for behavioral history). There seem to be a variety of professional folks on this forum. While some professional opinions seem valued and appreciated, others are not.I don't see the equity, which is most unfortunate.

RBBM
Not quite sure how to take this comment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My apologies, the wrong link was posted. Trying again....I don't see a date other than Dec 2-3 in article. No year stated.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Cleburne-Police-Search-for-Stolen-SWAT-Gear-234391991.html

Looks like 2013

Cleburne Police Search for Stolen SWAT Gear | NBC 5 Dallas-Fort Worth - NBCDFW.com
www.nbcdfw.com › news › local › Clebu...
Mobile-friendly - Dec 4, 2013 - Police in Cleburne want to find the person who stole a bunch of gear from the police department's ...

I find it strange that after MB was murdered, suspect on the loose/unidentied and LE stating they believe she was targeted that nobody seems to be worried for their safety. If I was part of MB's inner circle I would be FREAKED out and looking over my shoulder. Just saying........seems odd!

Sadly the family are considered victims in this awful crime too. And per TOS- this is a "victim friendly site" and family are considered victims in this case at this exact moment in time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, I understand they are victims; however, they are victims because Ms. Bevers was murdered. The sentence you bolded was my point - without national interviews, local media sit-downs, letters posted on Facebook, and pretty consistently obliging TV cameras, the spotlight wouldn't shine quite so brightly, and the public might not have so much of this information. The Bevers family gave it to the public, which creates a bit of a conflict when trying to sleuth this murder.
Your point about "victim friendly site" is taken.

SteveS - Thanks. You have described the correct distinction between the SW and the Affidavit in support of a SW.

The article below explains this difference. The article was written May14, 2007, while SB244 was still pending. The legislation was approved, and became Article 18.011 which took effect Sept. 1, 2007.

http://www.kwtx.com/home/headlines/7502582.html

As a member of the general public, I find it outrageous that all such evidentiary search warrants and affidavits are not secret or sealed until there is an arrest in the case. I don't see how LE is supposed to investigate anything if they are supposed to work with media glare and public caterwauling. JMO

If all of that were sealed til an arrest, and if an arrest were never made, we would never have any recourse to hold our governmental entities accountable.

You pay taxes, which allow your local city and county police to function. You are thus a stakeholder and have the right, with your fellow taxpayers, to make sure they're doing their jobs properly rather than just taking their word for it.

The people of Midlothian and ELLIS County most definitely deserve to be wary, given the recent abuses of power and violations of the public trust.

I was listening to KS's Dateline interview this morning. Do we know which aunt/uncle met her at BB's house on the morning of MB's murder?

This is an excellent post. What is in the media is within TOS and up for discussion.

There is no duty to speak to the media, ever. Someone who chooses to speak to the media most definitely should consider how their comments will be construed. I keep thinking of Susan Smith who murdered her boys, but went before the cameras crying and pleading - convincing everyone except LE. While we have learned of bucket list fishing expeditions, shirts bloodied in dog fight and crock pot meals (and frankly MT's obvious implication was that a crock pot meal was somehow "less than" a proper meal, and it is our opinions that do not matter since this is MT's expressed opinion and attitude under discussion) - and we have heard that BB would forgive the killer if they come forward - what we never seem to hear is a plea for information from the public, for someone to come forward. I have no expectation of Susan Smith crocodile tears, but JMO, MT and BB comments to the media are more focused on their loss and not focused on making a plea to Find the Killer. JMO it is odd.

You've made a very significant point. Never heard a plea to get justice for MB. Thank you for this post.

MT is who played matchmaker and orginally introduced BB and MB per MSM. Did she feel responsible for what she perceived as MB treating BB badly and decide to take care of it?

I didn't search social media in early days of case. Does anyone know if there were connections between MB, MT, CT, or BB to any of the busted dirty cops?

Sorry no room for more potential perps. That bus is full.

I find it strange that after MB was murdered, suspect on the loose/unidentied and LE stating they believe she was targeted that nobody seems to be worried for their safety. If I was part of MB's inner circle I would be FREAKED out and looking over my shoulder. Just saying........seems odd!

Police originally believed that it was a burglary
I am not real sure we know how her inner circle feels about their safety
Maybe they are very nervous and careful, but you have to live your life. JMO

Authorities have said they found evidence of forced entry at the church and believe Missy have walked in on a robbery while preparing for her Camp Gladiator fitness class.
Her body showed signs of a struggle. A motive for the killing has not been confirmed.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...structor-believes-targeted-jealous-woman.html

<modsnip> For me, I am loathe to take comments made by grieving family as critical ones. I assume the best and overlook the occasional awkward comment or burst of anger that can sometimes be part of the process. However, as an RN who also has a Bachelor's in Psychology, I am perhaps privy to more grieving family conversations than most. <modsnip>.

In thread #27 I asked if magazines paid for exclusive interviews. GummyWorm gave their awesome opinion as a member of the press:

http://www.websleuths.com/forums/sh...T-gear-18-Apr-2016-28&p=12643027#post12643027

"Hi gliving! I don't know, so I asked a few colleagues & here's our educated guess:
If there are multiple stories & any suggestion of exclusivity -- "told xyz magazine" -- there is probably payment.
If the person/family has representation, there is probably payment.
Payment for these stories is likely in the four-figure range, perhaps $2500-$7500, totally JMO.
I'm not judging anyone here, just to be clear. I make a living based on people talking to me!"

So when we analyze the MIL statements, we realize these aren't just off hand casual remarks. She was speaking to a professional interviewer and was most likely compensated well for her opinions. I can quickly find three articles with exclusive quotes to a magazine.

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,21008772,00.html

http://www.people.com/article/texas-fitness-instructor-died-husband-speaks

http://www.people.com/article/terri-bevers-family-slain-fitness-instructor-killing-targeted

MOO! :)

Criticized if they speak, criticized if they don't speak.

Agree. Been right at a month since we last heard from ANYONE .. MPD, BB and no new letters to the Killer from MT. Just everyone going social media private after all this time :thinking: odd JMHO, I would be wanting to keep it in the media to find my loved ones murderer.

This is an excellent post. What is in the media is within TOS and up for discussion.

I am looking for the news reports where LE is quoted as saying Missy was targeted.
Does anyone have a link handy?

Dushi, check the presser from May 20. I think LE mentions it at that time. The transcript is in MB's media thread.

This looks like crime scene investigator tools to me. I don't see workout equipment nor church equipment.

Regarding the photo I posted yesterday (below) I had wondered if the packed up equipment called out in this photo was sound equipment from the church (which may have been set aside to steal by SP) or sound equipment MB may have unloaded to use during her workout session. Or it could be part of the items unloaded from MB's truck.

attachment.php

I'm only guessing the white suv is from the crime scene investigation team.

While searching for other photos of this scene, I came across video footage which shows a 360 aerial view of the Creekside church the morning of the murder. I had not seen this before and posting it here if it may be of interest to others. Here's a snapshot taken from the footage, which can be accessed at the bottom of this page:
http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/local/Police-Release-New-Information-in-Midlothian-Murder-Investigation-376269831.html

Attachments

• equipment.png
    equipment.png
    233.7 KB · Views: 562
  • aerial.png
    aerial.png
    289.7 KB · Views: 325
I disagree. The family is in the national spotlight because they put themselves there. Ms. Bevers, the primary victim, is in the spotlight. Considering the ages of the children, all the more reason to remain out of the spotlight and very simply attained by staying quiet. The idea that public opinion would be negative seems unfounded, as there appears to be absolutely no negativity focused on Ms. Bevers family of origin.
The over used phrase "grieve differently" is often used to rationalize behaviors that seem outside the norm. It is also important to consider the difference between anticipatory death and traumatic death.
We have no history (and are not entitled to history nor should we be asking for behavioral history). There seem to be a variety of professional folks on this forum. While some professional opinions seem valued and appreciated, others are not. I don't see the equity, which is most unfortunate.

In the beginning (and even a little into the ordeal), I saw BB's statements as being an appeal to the public to bring forward information for the police to work with. If you've ever watched 48 hours, you know how critical those first two days are to get a jump on the investigation. After that, it looked like some people who had zero media experience having the spotlight shown on them (making no judgments as to guilt or innocence because I have none at this point.)

I am looking for the news reports where LE is quoted as saying Missy was targeted.
Does anyone have a link handy?
It was very early on - first days 4/18 and 4/19 where LE did not use the word "targeted" but expressed suspicion that if it was a burglary, nothing was taken from CoC.

http://www.wfaa.com/news/crime/sour...fb_comment_id=860723624038650_860762334034779
WFAA article from 4/27. "Apr 27, 2016 Sources: Police believe slain Midlothian mom was targeted"

In the 4/27 (?) presser video, BB (with RB) mentions "targeted".

By thread 9, May 3, "targeted" was commonly posted about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Crimecat8