TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #30

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
yes very sad. Someone the other day posted about SWFA videos so I went and viewed them. They have the video of the van going the wrong way and since I live here I know that it was about 5 seconds later that the young man was hit. I hope his family didn't see it. It does not show the accident but the speed he was going is gut wrenching knowing what happened.

His family I think wants to sue LE for the high speed chase, since the van had a tracker on it. So far police have refused to give the family either the dashcam videos or the police reports.

bbm

Why didn't she see lighting already from outside and then at the latest inside?

I believe the hallway lights are left on for security. Otherwise the cameras wouldn't work at all. That's just my understanding of the lighting. It was mentioned several threads ago.

Do I recall correctly that they said they believe missy was in contact with the killer? I believe they said that in the search warrant. This seems to be a huge detail to me. Would PROBABLY eliminate the robbery idea. Would PROBABLY eliminate a random contract killer. Would PROBABLY eliminate a young "joy kill." But you would think this would PROBABLY lead them down a very narrow path.
I emphasize the word probably because this is just my opinion and I know there are twisted possibilities that go against this. Just seems we continue to steer further and further away when it seems that the killer may have been very familiar with her.
My guess is that they have this very narrowed down and they are just looking for that ah-ha connection that links this person to the crime scene.
My opinion

Post #605 has text taken directly from the SW for cell tower dump and may be what you are referencing

I believe they have a suspect in mind - that the evidence is in the cell phone records and the money trail. FBI has excellent trackers for this. This unfortunately takes time.

I would add that a death penalty case needs to be airtight. By now I would imagine the DA is involved as well-directing what evidence is needed before approving the arrest.

I read up thread that it's possible to deduce the killers motive from studying the floor plan. I've given that some thought and can't figure out how that would work. Maybe I'm missing something. JMO

QUICK POLL

Thank this post if you believe the police really have no idea whodunnit and are clutching at straws trying to find out.

I'm somewhere in between. They have a suspect (or have a narrowed down suspect list) and are past the clutching at straws point.

I hope you middle-grounders are right and the police are just narrowing down the options. Maybe they are looking at a "group" of suspects and trying to work out which one pulled the trigger, so to speak. I don't see how they could be eyeing a few unconnected individuals though, either they have a trail or they haven't.

Interesting that today's quick poll is split about 50/50, last time I asked the same question, probably 3 weeks ago, loads more of us thought they had a suspect. Seems some of us are getting disheartened over time. How sad, and how mad, that we still don't even know whether Missy's killer is male or female. I honestly thought this was an amateur who would be busted within days.

I don't think they have a suspect. I think none of their leads panned out and they're no longer getting any useful information.

I hope they're consulting with the FBI in an analysis of the investigation to identify possible leads that may have been overlooked and/or to identify new directions in which to investigate.

Well, since BB was supposedly awakened by the camp participant calling him, it seems unlikely he had been speaking to his mother already about how he'd warned Missy to be careful.

And if he had been talking to his mom, then he was lying about being awakened by the camper.

Yes, IMO it would be unlikely for him to be speaking to his mother about warning MB to be careful the morning when she was being murdered. Yet that is what she said.

I hope you middle-grounders are right and the police are just narrowing down the options. Maybe they are looking at a "group" of suspects and trying to work out which one pulled the trigger, so to speak. I don't see how they could be eyeing a few unconnected individuals though, either they have a trail or they haven't.

Interesting that today's quick poll is split about 50/50, last time I asked the same question, probably 3 weeks ago, loads more of us thought they had a suspect. Seems some of us are getting disheartened over time. How sad, and how mad, that we still don't even know whether Missy's killer is male or female. I honestly thought this was an amateur who would be busted within days.

You know, I used to be 50/50, I really hadn't made up my mind on which way. But, while on vacation, I read about a murder in the 90's and they knew their suspect but it took 3 years to get HARD evidence (other than hearsay) to arrest him. It was a murder-for-hire (I don't think that's MB's case though). After reading this book, it made me realize how much work goes on behind the scenes and how "hearsay" doesn't work, they need hard evidence to make it stick. So now I'm of the opinion that I think they know but don't have the hard evidence. If this is the case, it's a bigger triangle IMO than just a "jealous person" that my mind originally went to. In the murder-for-hire book, the ex-husband talked to a lot of people but nothing was in writing or damning to him, it was just people blaming him. Sadly I was hoping to come back from vacation and hear of an arrest but the longer this goes, I don't think it's going "cold" but I do feel like it won't be solved for quite awhile because of lack of hard evidence.

JMO for today, it changes constantly, lol!!

More curioser than it ever was before! A camper called BB sometime after MB's body was discovered at 5:00AM. Then BB calls MT between 5:00-5:30AM because KS (NBC5 report) says MT called her at 5:30AM. Somewhere in there, LE called BB twice. Why would MT and BB have a call before 5:00AM "before we knew anything happened"?

indeed intriguing, but perhaps his mom called him every morning or when he went on trips to check on him?

Considering evidence analysis turnaround time, technical challenges and possible delays etc.. I'll give it until about fall to end of this year to see if they have a suspect (arrest) or not.

-Nin

Yes, IMO it would be unlikely for him to be speaking to his mother about warning MB to be careful the morning when she was being murdered. Yet that is what she said.

Was it a Freudian slip? or he misspoke due to stress? Only time will tell. He may call his mother every morning.

I'm new to websleuths and this case is what made me join up. I hoped the perp would have been caught by now and I'm hoping that the quietness around it lately is because they know who it is and are gathering everything they need to arrest the perp. I haven't had anyone in mind who I think it could be, but I enjoy reading everyone's theory's. You guys have some great sleuthing skills. :)

I have to second this. I have posted a diagram that is generally accurate, and using detail based on personal knowledge (I'm fairly local), for the purpose of cleaning up some of the layout errors we had been seeing in the Nancy Grace sketch and so on, especially in the SW corner where so much occurred. I have also conferred and shared info on some details one-on-one with batbrat and scout in their efforts to do the same. Hopefully it will be helpful to the conversation.

But is there any real value in the game of trying to figure out every little nook and cranny, and posting every security detail of that building? As much as we're curious, how does it help the case to learn and diagram where room 6 is or room 12 or the location of every security cam? I'm not sure. Maybe not at all.

In fact, while we've finally cleaned up the previously-botched detail of the SW corner where so much occurred, I'm wondering if even THAT info is really helpful to solving this crime. I gotta admit that it's not like LE and thousands of others didn't already know what the building and its SW entrance looks like. There's no perp to be found there. I look at myself and I wonder, am I considering enough what's good for this church and its members, especially kids that attend there and need a secure setting, or am I sacrificing them for no real reason? I dunno - and I should.

An accurate floor-plan is important to me to

• match the movements of the perp in the video with the crime scene
  • to match even further movements, if MLPD releases more video

-Nin

Typically churches will use a camera system to identify threats during services. Burglary/theft is a lesser priority for them than someone coming in packing in order to shoot an estranged wife. Women at risk of domestic violence who are trying to get away from an abuser have a couple of places where they are most at risk - at the school where they pick up/drop off their kids every day, and at church services. It puts them at a given place at a given time and makes them a target.

Now with that said, Creekside IS in a pretty isolated location, so burglary might have been a concern to them.

For lower insurance rates as well. IMO

I'm new to websleuths and this case is what made me join up. I hoped the perp would have been caught by now and I'm hoping that the quietness around it lately is because they know who it is and are gathering everything they need to arrest the perp. I haven't had anyone in mind who I think it could be, but I enjoy reading everyone's theory's. You guys have some great sleuthing skills. :)
:welcome6: I am fairly new here also and YES, there are some great skills here !! I just popped in for a minute to see if any updates, but wanted to WELCOME you !!!

bbm

Why didn't she see lighting already from outside and then at the latest inside?

I believe the hallway lights are left on for security. Otherwise the cameras wouldn't work at all. That's just my understanding of the lighting. It was mentioned several threads ago.

It's possible that at least some alternating lights are left on for security (eg. every 4th or 5th ceiling flourescent is how many businesses do it). But when I remember the video of the reporter at the front of the church in the dark of night, I see NO interior lighting at all from inside the church...which makes me think maybe CC doesn't leave all the hall lights on. (I'd expect to see a bit of light emanating from the front entrance if that were true.)

image.jpg

Has anybody seen in the video any indication that any of the ceiling lights are on? I see use of a flashlight and/or headlamp by perp which seems unnecessary if the halls are completely lit (but maybe SP is using those because the classrooms he enters are dark). I seem to recall a circular reflection of light on the hall floor in one of those video frames.

Another possibility is that there are motion sensors in the hallways that turn on certain lights as someone triggers them walking by. The church building is new enough to use these, but if CoC buildings tend to be economically built, it's possible they don't have that feature. I did notice a series of slider buttons on the wall to the right as you walk in the main (west) door. If all was dark, all she'd have to do is to turn that hall light on upon entering.

The surveillance cameras could be infrared, so interior lights would not necessarily have to be on. But if I had to guess, based on what we've seen in the videos, I'd go with the idea that a minimal # (maybe 3-4 in the hallway corners?) are left on 24/7 for security purposes, and that these are not seen in the news video because of the way the church is designed (darkened rooms lining most of the perimeter of the building).

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 67
I read up thread that it's possible to deduce the killers motive from studying the floor plan. I've given that some thought and can't figure out how that would work. Maybe I'm missing something. JMO

I think you all have done a great job on the floorplans and cameras. The most injurious things to security at the CoC are the fact that a murder occurred there, LE put out that the exterior cameras were only working intermittently or not at all, the cameras as shown on MPD released videos might be a tad inadequate and need upgrading, and that LE put out that they do not have an alarm system/permit that connects to LE. All of these problems are not created by WS'ers and can be remedied by CoC.

There are many reasons to explore the floorplan and cameras:

-was this a burglary for theft gone wrong?
-was this a vandalism?
-was this a staged burglary?
-why didn't SP take anything - was SP unable to locate something?
-if there is anything of value to take, where in the building is it? (like AV equipment, or the office)
-why did SP seem to have so much trouble with entry if he is a burglar?
-how much knowledge did SP have of the CoC floorplan? of the cameras and alarms?
-why is SP so confident that they are unconcerned about being seen on the cameras?
-where was SP, what was SP doing, where did SP lie in wait or encounter MB?
-where was MB going after she went inside?
-where was MB body located?
-why didn't the cameras capture the struggle? Did SP care if the cameras captured or not?
-why didn't MB see the interior damage or opened doors when she entered?
-how did SP escape?

You know I like lists LOL, there are too many points to count on this one. Suffice it to say that an exploration of the interior of the building does yield clues to the crime in terms of SP behaviors and possible motives, as well as the encounter with victim.

In thinking about Sandy's list of questions, I'm thinking that SP was probably careful to not vandalize anything Missy would immediately notice (eg. SW doors, main entry door on the west side of the building, glass table in the west hallway). Reported damage was in areas that Missy would NOT likely notice at first upon entering - kitchen door and window on far north side and rear doors on the NE side of the building - also the chipping away at the window of the door across from Rm 12 that we saw in the video, which I'm thinking was also in the NE corner of the building. Looking at the aerial layout of the building you can see that those damaged areas of the building are directly opposite of where Missy would be - which again lends support to the idea that this was a targeted attack by someone who knew her, and knew how and where she would enter that morning. I suspect that there was damage also inside some of the rooms he entered in that 30 minutes before her arrival, but she wouldn't see that upon entering the building. My guess would be, though, that SP left very little obvious damage between the front (west) door and the SW corner of the building. If this is true, it would explain just one reason (to me at least) why LE determined this was a targeted attack.

So I'm definitely curious...not so much about labeling all the rooms in the floor plan, but in knowing if that one section (in green below in Batbrat's diagram) was left unscathed. From what little we've seen video-wise, I don't remember seeing any damage done in this main hall with the diamond-patterned tiles...only remember seeing him walking and briefly reading the bulletin board.

View attachment 97557

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member