TX - Terri 'Missy' Bevers,45, murdered in church/person in SWAT gear,18 Apr 2016 #34

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't imagine how this sort of device would be relevant to the MB case or how they might have gotten some "good pings" with one for this case. When you have one, you can go to an area and capture cells there. But you can't go there with one and use it to time travel back to the past to discover what cells were in that area at a possibly-incriminating time.

its extremely relevant

If they had pings from a phone they couldn't identify (on their tower dump report), they could drive around looking for more pings from that device hoping to locate it again. That's how they track criminals down. Each phone has a very specific imei signal it gives off and with the portable towers (Stingray) they can literally drive around and find you. I grew up in New York. We learned how to turn our devices off to prevent detection-not that we really needed to but NYPD is uh well...

I can't imagine how this sort of device would be relevant to the MB case or how they might have gotten some "good pings" with one for this case. When you have one, you can go to an area and capture cells there. But you can't go there with one and use it to time travel back to the past to discover what cells were in that area at a possibly-incriminating time.

I just read back into the media thread and there is a forensic expert with NYPD that was assisting LE with all the cell and tower info they had received for an hour before and after the crime. Just wanted to clarify since this info. could possibly help in solving the crime- potentially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SteveS said:
I can't imagine how this sort of Stingray device would be relevant to the MB case or how they might have gotten some "good pings" with one for this case. When you have one, you can go to an area and capture cells there. But you can't go there with one and use it to time travel back to the past to discover what cells were in that area at a possibly-incriminating time.
Can you possibly explain why this information was shared with the public after the crime against MB was committed?
its extremely relevant

If they had pings from a phone they couldn't identify (on their tower dump report), they could drive around looking for more pings from that device hoping to locate it again. That's how they track criminals down. Each phone has a very specific imei signal it gives off and with the portable towers (Stingray) they can literally drive around and find you. I grew up in New York. We learned how to turn our devices off to prevent detection-not that we really needed to but NYPD is uh well...

Thanks to both of you for your replies. And that clarifies it, and makes sense - - the Stingray can't go back and get pings from the hours before and during the crime, but it can perhaps be helpful if they found that a burner phone was being used in those hours from the cell tower dump(s), and they can't otherwise identify who used that phone.

In that case, they hope that with the Stingray, they can cruise Midlothian and maybe elsewhere, and perhaps stumble across the burner phone itself, and thereby identify its owner. (Sounds to me like a needle in a haystack thing, but it's certainly better than nothing.)

Do I have that right?

Thanks to both of you for your replies. And that clarifies it, and makes sense - - the Stingray can't go back and get pings from the hours before and during the crime, but it can perhaps be helpful if they found that a burner phone was being used in those hours from the cell tower dump(s), and they can't otherwise identify who used that phone.

In that case, they hope that with the Stingray, they can cruise Midlothian and maybe elsewhere, and perhaps stumble across the burner phone itself, and thereby identify its owner. (Sounds to me like a needle in a haystack thing, but it's certainly better than nothing.)

Do I have that right?

I read up on the burner phones when they first were mentioned and apparently, every phone, even a burner phone has an ID # and they can trace the ID to where it was sold (often 7-11 type place). How they were catching guys is they'd go back on the security video to get a visual on who was buying the phones. (obviously, it would have to be recently, person non-disguised, security camera with quality decent.) But they did catch some. So it is a needle but a bigger needle than I thought.

They can especially take - and most certainly already did IMO- the stingray to target locations, like the church, the CG camps around town, gun stores and outfitters, air-soft and paintball grounds, schools, gyms etc..

-Nin

attachment.php

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 282
its extremely relevant

Hate to quote myself but it is imsi not imei. I misspoke and needed to correct that error.

A link to Stingray Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker with a notable quote:
"The StingRay family of devices can be mounted in vehicles,[SUP][5][/SUP] on airplanes, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.[SUP][7][/SUP]Hand-carried versions are referred to under the trade name KingFish.[SUP][8]"[/SUP]

Hate to quote myself but it is imsi not imei. I misspoke and needed to correct that error.

A link to Stingray Wiki: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker with a notable quote:
"The StingRay family of devices can be mounted in vehicles,[SUP][5][/SUP] on airplanes, helicopters and unmanned aerial vehicles.[SUP][7][/SUP]Hand-carried versions are referred to under the trade name KingFish.[SUP][8]"[/SUP]

So they can be mounted on a drone. That sure reduces the needle-in-a-haystack thing. They can just map out a grid and fly the drone street by street over an entire town. Of course, that won't help if the perp is an outsider as I suspect. I doubt they are going to fly the drone all over Dallas.

I wouldn't want to be the drone operator who crashes the thing with a $150,000+ Stingray on board...

Agree with everything, except he didn't make entry into the building at 3:50. LE said he is first seen on camera at 3:50. And we know from what LE told BB and which he relayed in one of his first interviews, that the perp spent "a few minutes" in the kitchen. I am still unclear on how LE knows how many minutes he spent in the kitchen since it's off camera. Do you have any thoughts on that?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless they have an outside (parking lot) time and a time he hit the hallway??

Interesting also, that

'The FBI has claimed that when used to identify, locate, or track a cellular device, the StingRay does not collect communications content or forward it to the service provider.[SUP][19][/SUP] Instead, the device causes a disruption in service'.

and

'
A StingRay can be used to identify and track a phone or other compatible cellular data device even while the device is not engaged in a call or accessing data services.'

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stingray_phone_tracker

I see, still no arrest.

I hope soon there will be Justice for Missy.

Is it a cold case?

IMOO.

I see, still no arrest.

I hope soon there will be Justice for Missy.

Is it a cold case?

IMOO.
NO it is not cold. We are keeping it very warm!

Sent from my SM-G386T using Tapatalk

Thanks. That's why I'm glad we have you guys. Steve's been trying to help me read straighter. Back to the drawing board.

Don't be so fast to give up on your thought WannaBDetective. I still believe as others here do as well that there IS a second perp. AND if SP did have a cell phone I highly doubt they were calling Domino's to order a pizza.
Not being Snarky. Well maybe a little. Really not. :)

...while LE notes his entry into the building at about 3:50, maybe he was there much earlier, say by 3:00 or 3:15, and it took him quite a while to get in, who knows. In addition, maybe the perp was frustrated by the experience, making him mad at the church for making it so difficult, and maybe the capricious vandalism to both exterior and interior that we see flowed simply from being pissed at the church. Juvenile response, yes indeed, but this is a baby who kills when he doesn't get what he wants, so ...
Agree with everything, except he didn't make entry into the building at 3:50. LE said he is first seen on camera at 3:50. And we know from what LE told BB and which he relayed in one of his first interviews, that the perp spent "a few minutes" in the kitchen. I am still unclear on how LE knows how many minutes he spent in the kitchen since it's off camera...

Unless they have an outside (parking lot) time and a time he hit the hallway??

I could see how maybe the SWFA camera might have picked up the lights of a car pulling into the church. Or that the sweep of lights across the interior of the church might have activated one of the interior cameras. But that wouldn't give them any insight on how long it took him to make entry into the building. He could have spent 5 minutes or 25 minutes around back. Might have sat in his car waiting for a lull in the rain. So time entering parking lot to time entering hallway doesn't seem like it would help LE determine how long he spent in the kitchen. And that's what I was wondering about specifically - how do they know that he spent a few minutes in the kitchen? I'm sure they can see evidence of things he did in there, but I don't see how that would give them a clue as to time spent.

I could see how maybe the SWFA camera might have picked up the lights of a car pulling into the church. Or that the sweep of lights across the interior of the church might have activated one of the interior cameras. But that wouldn't give them any insight on how long it took him to make entry into the building. He could have spent 5 minutes or 25 minutes around back. Might have sat in his car waiting for a lull in the rain. So time entering parking lot to time entering hallway doesn't seem like it would help LE determine how long he spent in the kitchen. And that's what I was wondering about specifically - how do they know that he spent a few minutes in the kitchen? I'm sure they can see evidence of things he did in there, but I don't see how that would give them a clue as to time spent.
There must be something, right? What are we missing?

On the SW it says "the murder of Terri "Missy" Leann Bevers between the hours of 3am-5am on April 18th. Are these approx hours since LE noted SP first seen IN the building at 3:50am or do you think they may have picked up car lights entering the parking lot from either SWFA cameras or from a camera inside CoC being activated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kat kruck