TX - Texas inmate Arcade Comeaux escapes from prison 11/30/09

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
December 03, 2009 7:44 AM

HUNTSVILLE, Texas (AP) - Rewards totaling $30,000 are offered for information leading to Texas prison escapee Arcade Joseph Comeaux (KOH'-moh) Jr.

Department of Corrections spokeswoman Michelle Lyons said Thursday that the convicted sex offender was still on the run.

Comeaux was in a wheelchair Monday when he pulled a gun on two guards during a transfer from a unit in Huntsville to one in Beaumont. Both guards were released after being forced to drive to the Baytown area, where Comeaux ran way.

Comeaux was serving life in prison for aggravated sexual assault out of Brazos County.

The U.S. Marshal's Service is offering a $25,000 reward for information leading to the capture of Comeaux. Crime Stoppers will pay up to an additional $5,000 for tips leading to his arrest.

http://www.kfdm.com/news/comeaux-35532-leading-guards.html

Amazing. He is supposed to be using a wheelchair for mobility. Yet here he is, over powered not just one, but two men, and run off.
Boggles the mind.

I can't believe he fooled the doctors with that crap.

Regarding this whole situation, I think there is a lot more to the story than they are letting out. The whole thing from the gun in the van, to leaving the officers like he did smells funny. I don't know if we'll ever know the whole truth.

Of course, I could be jaded because I deal with inmates every day. I work at a prison, and they aren't talking a lot about it at all.

Regarding this whole situation, I think there is a lot more to the story than they are letting out. The whole thing from the gun in the van, to leaving the officers like he did smells funny. I don't know if we'll ever know the whole truth.

Of course, I could be jaded because I deal with inmates every day. I work at a prison, and they aren't talking a lot about it at all.

One article I read claimed that Comeaux wasn't patted down before they put him in the van....DUH!! :furious:

<snip>

WACO (December 6, 2009)—The search for escaped Texas sex offender Arcade Joseph Comeaux, Jr., 49, shifted to the Waco area Sunday as the U.S. Marshals Service added Comeaux to its list of most-wanted fugitives.

U.S. Marshals were in Waco Sunday, interviewing residents who may have ties with Comeaux, authorities said.

A reward of as much as $25,000 is offered for information that leads directly to Comeaux’s arrest, the Marshals Service said.

Crime Stoppers is offering an additional $5,000 reward.

Sure didn't expect him to come this way.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a long way from Houston to Waco (what, about 200 miles?). In other words, they don't know where Comeaux is. As I said before, Texas Mist, keep your doors locked.

If I'm not mistaken, it's a long way from Houston to Waco (what, about 200 miles?). In other words, they don't know where Comeaux is. As I said before, Texas Mist, keep your doors locked.

Yep - right at 200 miles....I want them to get this guy - fast!

My brother lives within minutes of where Comeaux got out in Baytown...he even said he'd seen Garth Road all blocked off that day...I have other friends & family who work in Baytown & live near the area.

And when I read tonite that the US Marshal's were checking out Waco I squealed & it scared DBF.....I told him DO NOT EVER leave our doors or windows unlocked & DO NOT open the door for people we don't know!!

This guy really terrifies me....I hope no one gets hurt while he's on the loose.

One article I read claimed that Comeaux wasn't patted down before they put him in the van....DUH!! :furious:

I read the same thing-that he wasn't even patted.
He was going to be transferred so he could be near some hospital for his supposed paralysis. It must be a miracle when a paralyzed man is able to overpower not just one, but two guards, take clothes and guns, and then run away on foot. And still be on the run all this time later.

This really is a frightening case, as well as dumbfounding. Given the nature of his initial crimes and what is supposed to be the moral hierarchy in prison, I am surprised that people on the inside would be apt to help him. In addition, given the assault on his wife, I am surprised that too many people on the outside would be too keen to assist him either. If it is true that they did not pat this prisoner down, especially given his criminal history, well... I guess I'll just agree with everybody else who said that they hope he is arrested or stopped before he claims anymore victims, because this guy is beyond dangerous.

I would imagine the people in Texas are sighing with relief this morning.

I honestly was afraid for ANYONE who this guy could happen upon.

He's one scary dude!

Phew!
RELIEF!
fran

<snip>

Arcade Joseph Comeaux Jr, 49, was caught in at about 7:40 a.m. by Houston Police in the 77 hundred block of East Little York in Houston, according to Lyons. A spokesman for the U.S. Marshal's Service says a tip led them to Comeaux, who was captured Monday morning between two buildings. The convicted sex offender had two pistols. Investigators don't know if they were the weapons he took during the escape.

http://www.kfdm.com/news/inmate-35595-escaped-custody.html

I'm glad he's caught but he needs to be locked up in solitary -- just do something different to keep him off the streets.

<snip>

HOUSTON (AP) - A convicted sex offender who led authorities on a weeklong manhunt after pulling off a daring escape during a prison transfer was captured Monday after a salesman recognized the inmate outside his Houston business and called police.

Arcade Joseph Comeaux Jr. was caught after authorities received a phone tip that he was in northeast Houston, said Alfredo Perez, a spokesman for the U.S. Marshals Service. The area is heavily wooded but includes various businesses, a charter school and some residential neighborhoods.

Brian Boyd, a salesman at a company that rents and sells cranes, said he was outside his business when he spotted Comeaux standing in a ditch by the side of the road, trying to hitchhike.

Comeaux then walked along the road, came to the company's front door and asked if he could use the phone, Boyd said.

"He was all muddy, wearing black clothing," Boyd said. "He was real calm. He looked just wiped out. He had both pants legs taped up."

The barefoot Comeaux sat on the curb outside the building while Boyd went inside. Boyd said he was 80 percent certain the man was the escaped prisoner, but he looked up his picture on the Internet to make sure and then called Houston police.

By the time Boyd came outside, Comeaux had walked to the business next door, a company that sells equipment to the oil and gas industry.

Inside, he asked employees if he could make a telephone call, said Kathy Alexander, a manager at the company.

After talking on the phone, Comeaux asked if someone could call him a cab. Alexander said the employees gave him some coffee and had him wait in the front lobby.

"Brian (Boyd) came by and said he had called the police because he suspected it was the escapee," Alexander said. "He sat out there in our foyer, drinking his coffee until the police came in and arrested him."

more here

http://www.kfdm.com/news/inmate-35595-escaped-custody.html

Whew, is right. Man, I'll bet there was some anxiety going on in that office. Can you imagine holding it together like that and "calmly" watching the guy drink his coffee? Mr. Boyd is the hero today.

Whew, is right. Man, I'll bet there was some anxiety going on in that office. Can you imagine holding it together like that and "calmly" watching the guy drink his coffee? Mr. Boyd is the hero today.

Sounds like the life on the run wasn't all Comeaux hoped for it to be.

<snip>

Rapist Arcade Joseph Comeaux Jr. busted out of state custody like a lion — handcuffing his guards and stealing their weapons and a uniform. But, after a week on the run, he was headed back to prison Monday like a lamb, following his early-morning arrest at a northeast Houston oil equipment factory.

Barefooted, soaked and seemingly exhausted, Comeaux, 49, surrendered without a fight after police surprised him shortly before 8 a.m. at the DL Flange Corp., 7785 E. Little York, where employees, at first thinking he was only a homeless man, had offered him coffee and summoned him a taxi.

Arresting officers, who relieved Comeaux of two loaded pistols, said the fugitive complained of hunger.

Recognized inmate

Brian Boyd, a salesman for CraneWorks, a business next door to the flange factory, spotted Comeaux about 7:15 a.m. Monday as the convict emerged from a roadside drainage ditch and attempted to thumb a ride. Boyd said he recognized Comeaux from photographs published after the escape.

When Comeaux asked to use a telephone, Boyd pulled the building's security gate closed and called police.

“He was real calm,” Boyd said. “He almost looked high.”

Law enforcement officials Monday said they have not determined who might be eligible to claim $30,000 in federal and private rewards for the fugitive's capture.

more here

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/metropolitan/6757077.html

I think it's rather obvious Brian Boyd, a guy who called the police which led directly to the arrest should be eligible for the reward. Clearly he provided information which led to the arrest.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CATCHASE
Back