TX - Trial of Robert Durst in the murder of Morris Black

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
A witness to what, if you please? I'm just getting caught up still. The suicide?

It's very confusing. Douglas says his brothers version of events is a lie:

Douglas told me that Robert was not at the family’s house on the night in 1950 when Bernice Durst died, but rather at a neighbor’s house, along with Douglas and two other siblings.
Douglas said that his mother, suffering from emphysema, took medication that made her unaware of where she was. It’s never been established if she fell off the roof accidentally or jumped deliberately.

http://nypost.com/2015/02/05/the-durst-case-scenario-for-hbos-new-documentary/

So...was she medicated and confused? Maybe...seems like she could have jumped out of one of the skyscrapers the family owned instead of the roof of the family home onto the driveway if suicide was her plan..

That is what has been bugging me. Why would he want his 7 yr old who was sleeping to see it? Was he looking for a witness to it? Why would he wake up a child to see that? " say goodbye to mommy" he said Seymour said.

If you wife is up on the roof, Why would you not call the police ASAP? I have to wonder if Robert saw what he thinks he saw.

Agree, it is very very strange.

A witness to what, if you please? I'm just getting caught up still. The suicide?

Douglas told me that Robert was not at the family’s house on the night in 1950 when Bernice Durst died, but rather at a neighbor’s house, along with Douglas and two other siblings.
Douglas said that his mother, suffering from emphysema, took medication that made her unaware of where she was. It’s never been established if she fell off the roof accidentally or jumped deliberately.

So...was she medicated and confused? Maybe...seems like she could have jumped out of one of the skyscrapers the family owned instead of the roof of the family home onto the driveway if suicide was her plan..

Oh thank you. What a strange thing to lie about. Maybe he's conflating a dream with reality. Was there easy access to the roof?

I'm sooo far behind but am hoping to do a marathon today and watch the whole series .. LOVING the production so far.

That he did. I noticed that when watching the show. After a while it all became a game to see what he could get away with. Why else would he still a $2.00 sandwich?

Or put a newspaper complete with address leading straight to his door in with the body parts? Or put a receipt with his real name in with same body parts?

Another version from the book, "Without a Trace" is that all the children were collected by some sort of nanny or caretaker in order to get them away from the scene but Robert slipped away from them and saw his mother fall just as a fireman on a ladder was trying to rescue her. Saw her fall and crack her head.

Oh thank you. What a strange thing to lie about. Maybe he's conflating a dream with reality. Was there easy access to the roof?

So strange...in A Deadly Secret it's reported the police were called at 8:18pm and arrived at 8:30pm. A fire truck also came with a ladder. Her husband, her father and Robert were all at the home and saw her fall
That Bernice was suffering from depression and had taken asthma medicine. The fireman was on the way up the ladder when Bernice fell head first onto the driveway

There are so many versions of what Robert saw that evening. It's hard to know what to believe. I have no doubt his mother's death affected him deeply, and telling his version of that evening's events on the stand made him a sympathetic character to the jury in Galveston.

Or put a newspaper complete with address leading straight to his door in with the body parts? Or put a receipt with his real name in with same body parts?

Or that he all but said that some of what he said on the stand was a carefully constructed lie. He doesn't want to be caught, but he likes the thrill of living on the edge. He doesn't just want to quietly get away with things, satisfied with his own cunning. He wants other poeple to know it, too.

I don't believe this account at all. There is not much I believe that RD says but the thing about his mother I believe

In the movie All Good Things, loosely based on Robert Durst and directed by Jareki in 2010 prior to The Jinx, when the movie father is dying he says he had hoped the mother seeing her son would stop her from jumping.

In the movie All Good Things, loosely based on Robert Durst and directed by Jareki in 2010 prior to The Jinx, when the movie father is dying he says he had hoped the mother seeing her son would stop her from jumping.

That sounds like a good reason.. It could be.. I just feel like there was more to it than that. I also don't trust Doug or the rest of them either. I believe they would try and protect the name at all costs .

http://therealdeal.com/blog/2015/03...the-jinx-creators-rests-on-a-single-question/

Letter from D. Durst to Jarecki

“Your docudrama relies on Robert’s self-serving, revisionist, and fictitious accounts of the past.” Douglas wrote in a letter to Jarecki dated Jan. 30 and used as evidence in the pending case. “You have spoken publicly about the tensions you have with your father…I am sorry that your relationship is dysfunctional, but do not use your movie to project your problems with your father onto mine.”

Curious how many women choose to commit suicide by jumping off a rooftop. Seems more like in her medicated state, she may have fallen or was just delusional and "thought she could fly".

:waitasec:

MOO

Curious how many women choose to commit suicide by jumping off a rooftop. Seems more like in her medicated state, she may have fallen or was just delusional and "thought she could fly".

MOO

Do we know that she was really medicated? Or if she was what she was on? Was there ever an autopsy???

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat...all_good_things_revealed_the_real_reason.html

It’s the nature of fiction that the auteur can’t help but smudge his fingerprints all over the story. And so All Good Things focuses on what I now see as distinctly Jareckian psychological concerns: overbearing papas, and the struggle to find creative freedom and individuality under the thumb of a pragmatically-minded patriarch. It’s easy to imagine this being the emotional through-line that drew Jarecki to Durst in the first place, and let him sympathetize with Durst over the years. But All Good Things is, in truth, more Andrew than Bob.

Real estate executives describe the elder Mr. Durst, who died in 1995, as a tiny, polite if eccentric man, a skilled negotiator but one who rarely raised his voice as Mr. Langella’s menacing character does.
“Seymour had no resemblance to the hulking Langella,” said Nick Chavin, a real estate advertising executive who worked for him. “He was a sweetheart.”
Robert Durst said that while he found Mr. Langella to be “not bad” in the role, his father was never as “sharp and aggressive when it comes to me.”

MOO

Plus jumping off of a two story roof is not guaranteed to kill you! Why not, if you want to jump to your death, go visit one of the office buildings the family owned and throw yourself out of the 30th floor window?
The book states Seymour, Bernice's dad and the doctor were in the house. The doctor had given her something to help her sleep
That's why the medicated story makes sense...plus the police and fireman reports in the book say she seemed "distant" when they were talking to her...trying to get her to sit down and wait. The fireman had almost reached her when she fell...some neighbors had gathered in the yard and saw this as well

Seymour never married after Bernice's death. I wonder if he ever dated. Was life just business?

That is what has been bugging me. Why would he want his 7 yr old who was sleeping to see it? Was he looking for a witness to it? Why would he wake up a child to see that? " say goodbye to mommy" he said Seymour said.

If you wife is up on the roof, Why would you not call the police ASAP? I have to wonder if Robert saw what he thinks he saw.

Obviously, we know the event happened, but I have an issue with what RD states, and not because I believe his brother is covering the family name. I actually believe that it is RD's way of saying something bad about Seymour.JMO

IMO, RD was woken up that night by someone.
IMO, RD saw his father that night.
IMO, RD knew his mother was on the roof, he probably saw her on it and may have seen her hit the pavement.
IMO, if she was on the roof, and the kids were taken outside the house, they would have heard the commotion with their mother in the middle of the night.

I'm curious as to whether there is a record of RD claiming this prior to Seymour's death? IMO, that would tell the tale.

ALL JMO

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
slowloris