TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Amidst the horror & sadness, resilience.

Initially, Carreon told Morgan to count her out. How could she carry on after so much suffering? After fearing that she might lose her own daughter?

But when she awoke Wednesday, after barely sleeping, Carreon thought again about the children who come to see her each week. She owed it to them to be there, she thought.

And so, about 24 hours after the second deadliest school shooting in U.S. history, Carreon stood in front of a group of 10 smiling faces, struggling not to cry as the children giggled and sang along with her.

“Head, shoulders, knees and toes — knees and toes.”

Carreon thought she was there to comfort them. In the end, it was the other way around.

"Uvalde mayor and Texas state senator want to FIRE local DA from running school massacre compensation fund because she's been so slow to hand out cash that family almost had power cut-off while daughter was in hospital."

"Uvalde mayor and Texas state senator want to FIRE local DA from running school massacre compensation fund because she's been so slow to hand out cash that family almost had power cut-off while daughter was in hospital."

Coming from the Mayor -- no surprise. Per the state's Constitution, District Attorney is an elected position. And shame on the power company for not honoring a moratorium for non-payment for the community coping with this tragedy.

I hope the next news I read from the Mayor is that he's offering solutions to help with the issues resulting from the shooting-- including council members volunteering to partner with the DA's office to assist their constituents. MOO

Last edited:
@domnewlandtv

HAPPENING NOW: The Texas House committee is meeting about the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde. They are now in an executive session. Chairman Burrows said they will be looking into having hallway video from that day be made public before police breached. @KVUE

@tplohetski

Recently, I viewed the hallway video from Robb Elementary School and I'm equally as haunted today as I have been. As journalists, we argue for transparency, but rest assured that once it is finally released, it is as wrenching as it seems:

A 77-minute recording from that camera offers an unabridged view of police inaction, among the clearest accounts of what happened before and after 19 fourth graders and two teachers were gunned down in their classrooms. It also is at the center of a political struggle over what public information from that day should be released and by whom…

He continues to walk uninterrupted down the empty hallway — past a bulletin board and hand sanitizer station mounted on the wall — until he reaches Room 111. The camera shows him turning to his left and unleashing a barrage of gunfire as he advances toward the room. A boy who apparently was in the bathroom is seen peeking around the corner before police later rescue him….

No excuses are acceptable but in such a small city far away from many of the services needed, such as mental health support, getting services in place must be very challenging. It sounds like a communication problem, in part. And maybe they do not have enough support or coordination to timely respond to families?

Like I said, excuses are unacceptable, but overcoming logistical challenges needs to be a priority.

They need a skilled communicator to coordinate regular updates & contact info to the survivors & community. Firing the DA without much thought into a more emergency-response-skilled replacement is not going to help.

Deployment of all the services in this graphic is a big ask! Each of the six line items of targeted support probably needs a skilled emergency responder in charge to be successful.

59909163-10985443-image-a-18_1657064239707.jpg
MOO

Last edited:
@domnewlandtv

HAPPENING NOW: The Texas House committee is meeting about the Robb Elementary School shooting in Uvalde. They are now in an executive session. Chairman Burrows said they will be looking into having hallway video from that day be made public before police breached. @KVUE

@tplohetski

Recently, I viewed the hallway video from Robb Elementary School and I'm equally as haunted today as I have been. As journalists, we argue for transparency, but rest assured that once it is finally released, it is as wrenching as it seems:

A 77-minute recording from that camera offers an unabridged view of police inaction, among the clearest accounts of what happened before and after 19 fourth graders and two teachers were gunned down in their classrooms. It also is at the center of a political struggle over what public information from that day should be released and by whom…

He continues to walk uninterrupted down the empty hallway — past a bulletin board and hand sanitizer station mounted on the wall — until he reaches Room 111. The camera shows him turning to his left and unleashing a barrage of gunfire as he advances toward the room. A boy who apparently was in the bathroom is seen peeking around the corner before police later rescue him….

heatbreaking, agree I don't think I could watch it either.

"Reyes, 45, said he does not understand why Arredondo refused to act, and revealed that his classroom's doorknob had been broken for at least two years - something he says Arredondo knew even though the police chief claimed he had to search for keys to enter the building.

There's really no excuse for 77 minutes,' he added of the time it took for Border Patrol agents to enter the elementary school and confront Ramos, who they shot dead.

During that time, Reyes said, he had to play dead for about an hour after Ramos shot him in the arm and watched as he gunned down all 11 of his students who were in the classroom that day.

Ramos later shot him again in the back, causing him to struggle to breathe.

Now, he said, he is not sure whether he will return to teaching after spending 17 years molding young minds."

Last edited:
"Thousands have marched through the streets of Uvalde demanding answers from Texas authorities over the tragic school shooting.

Families, friends and locals walked together silently from Robb Elementary to the town square in 100F heat Sunday to honor the 19 children and two teachers shot dead at the school.

The Unheard Voices March and Rally then saw victims' family members make speeches in which they demanded justice from local and state law enforcement over their handling of the May 24 killings."

Last edited:
"Thousands have marched through the streets of Uvalde demanding answers from Texas authorities over the tragic school shooting.

Families, friends and locals walked together silently from Robb Elementary to the town square in 100F heat Sunday to honor the 19 children and two teachers shot dead at the school.

The Unheard Voices March and Rally then saw victims' family members make speeches in which they demanded justice from local and state law enforcement over their handling of the May 24 killings."

Also from the article:

Kimberly Rubio, mother of Lexi, 10, said: 'What I want, you can't give me. I want my daughter back. We want answers. We seek justice. We demand change.'

Gabriel Sanmiguel with the Carnalismo National Brown Berets said many families feel like nothing has been done since the massacre.

He said: 'They want the entire story. It's also disheartening for them - for everybody to be pointing fingers. It's easy to point at one person and say it's their fault, but there was a lot of officers in that building.'

He added that families have not received any funding and the rally saw repeated chants of 'vote them out', referencing politicians who do not support gun reform.

Was this organized by the Brown Berets (BB), a pro-Chicano organization? Just curious because organizing & speaking out can be valuable but distorting the truth is not.

The BB person quoted here (portions BBM) is wrong that "nothing has been done."

Yes, there were a lot of officers in the building. This was a failure of command that starts with PA refusing to accept responsibility. Hearings at the state capital commenced in a very timely manner & have been truth seeking as far as I can tell. Do I wish an officer had stepped out & assumed command? Yes. But that did not happen & is unrealistic IMO (though tragic).

There is an enormous amount of resources that are supposed to be available to the families. We need to know the specific barriers to help they are facing & whether those barriers are state failures (promises but no action) or something else.

As to gun reform, marching for it will not change laws. You have to organize & advocate in a way that delivers a specific message about the specific changes you want. Legislative changes don't happen by emotional calls for reform.

Emotions are very high. The pain is very intense & not abating.

Apparently, the DA assigned by the governor is not leading the response in a way that reassures the victims. That needs to change.

If the promised resources are not being deployed well, that has to change.

I hope the state's response to the pain of the citizens in Uvalde will be proactive. It is not easy for government to respond well due to bureaucracy. Assigning services to agencies is not enough - response is generally hampered by unanticipated barriers & those have to be addressed for intended help to become actual help.

When in grief, no response is enough. Because no response can make whole what which has been lost (lives) & broken (trust).

My opinion only

Also from the article:

Kimberly Rubio, mother of Lexi, 10, said: 'What I want, you can't give me. I want my daughter back. We want answers. We seek justice. We demand change.'

Gabriel Sanmiguel with the Carnalismo National Brown Berets said many families feel like nothing has been done since the massacre.

He said: 'They want the entire story. It's also disheartening for them - for everybody to be pointing fingers. It's easy to point at one person and say it's their fault, but there was a lot of officers in that building.'

He added that families have not received any funding and the rally saw repeated chants of 'vote them out', referencing politicians who do not support gun reform.

Was this organized by the Brown Berets (BB), a pro-Chicano organization? Just curious because organizing & speaking out can be valuable but distorting the truth is not.

The BB person quoted here (portions BBM) is wrong that "nothing has been done."

Yes, there were a lot of officers in the building. This was a failure of command that starts with PA refusing to accept responsibility. Hearings at the state capital commenced in a very timely manner & have been truth seeking as far as I can tell. Do I wish an officer had stepped out & assumed command? Yes. But that did not happen & is unrealistic IMO (though tragic).

There is an enormous amount of resources that are supposed to be available to the families. We need to know the specific barriers to help they are facing & whether those barriers are state failures (promises but no action) or something else.

As to gun reform, marching for it will not change laws. You have to organize & advocate in a way that delivers a specific message about the specific changes you want. Legislative changes don't happen by emotional calls for reform.
The Brown Berets organize many marches in South Texas. They organize many vigils, they also are present in marches and vigils that they do not organize. They act as marshals to assure safety of participants, for instance making sure that participants are not walking into traffic and that they are keeping up with the pace of the group etc. They also carry water etc

While you may disagree with their views, for the most part, they do good for the community.

Last edited:
The Brown Berets organize many marches in South Texas. They organize many vigils, they also are present in marches and vigils that they do not organize. They act as marshals to assure safety of participants, for instance making sure that participants are not walking into traffic and that they are keeping up with the pace of the group etc. They also carry water etc
While you may disagree with their views, for the most part, they do good for the community.

I didn't criticize their right to organize, march or express an opinion. I fully support all first amendment rights.

I simply pointed out that to say nothing has been done is WRONG. The efforts may not satisfy the person I quoted or BB's point of view as an organization but there have been serious and timely efforts made by the Texas government. Will it change the past? No. Could it change the future? Maybe.

I think getting answers means all parties must respect the honest efforts of others to help. But when in the throes of grief, nothing will ever be ENOUGH for some people, I guess.

Please don't mis-characterize my post, which did not express bias.

Thank you.

Thanks for posting this link.

I don't believe anything from the hallway surveillance leading up to the 77th minute where officers finally breach the classroom door, should be excluded from release, including video of the school shooter entering the building and proceeding down the hallway (as released here by the Statesman).

Also, I'd like to be able to distinguish PA from the same to determine if others acknowledged him.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would anybody be soooo stupid to do it??

If this is true, she should film it and sue for harassment.

bullies aren't always very bright!
The Uvalde cops don't seem too sharp to me at least a few of them.
Reporting the alleged harassment incident to the DM is not the answer.

I hope the exterior school video and bodycams of those evacuating the classrooms, far from the line of fire, are also released, showing the complete action by the mother. I believe these videos will explain why the mom only talks to the DM versus the major networks that verify what they report. Time to move on and be grateful for her safe children. MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NysesPieces
Back