TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
page 63 of the report.

But Chief Arredondo does not consider himself to have assumed incident command. He explained to the Committee:
[W]hile you’re in there, you don’t title yourself ... .I know our policy states you’re the incident commander. My approach and thought was responding as a police officer. And so I didn’t title myself. But once I got in there and we took that fire, back then, I realized, we need some things. We’ve got to get in that door. We need an extraction tool. We need those keys. As far as ... I’m talking about the command part ... the people that went in, there was a big group of them outside that door. I have no idea who they were and how they walked in or anything. I kind of – I wasn’t given that direction.
you can always hope and pray that there’s an incident command post outside. I just didn’t have access to that. I didn’t know anything about that.
What an idiot.

page 63 of the report.

But Chief Arredondo does not consider himself to have assumed incident command. He explained to the Committee:
[W]hile you’re in there, you don’t title yourself ... .I know our policy states you’re the incident commander. My approach and thought was responding as a police officer. And so I didn’t title myself. But once I got in there and we took that fire, back then, I realized, we need some things. We’ve got to get in that door. We need an extraction tool. We need those keys. As far as ... I’m talking about the command part ... the people that went in, there was a big group of them outside that door. I have no idea who they were and how they walked in or anything. I kind of – I wasn’t given that direction.
you can always hope and pray that there’s an incident command post outside. I just didn’t have access to that. I didn’t know anything about that.
Hope is not a strategy. (There’s a poster around our threads that always reminds us of that.)

It certainly is not a strategy to overcome a school shooter.

This community has been severely impacted by the border crisis. Regardless of one's personal political views, a school in the crosshairs is gross negligence.

As usual, I believe AP is ultimately responsible for the tragedy at Robb Elementary. The school board, too, could have taken a more assertive stance about why this school was forced into lockdown so much. Not acceptable!
MOO
^^rsbm

Seems to me much of the response to repeated bail-outs was job security. And what a good deal for PA to come home (Uvalde) to-- a newly funded gig with no supervision -- a position where he wrote the job description including how he could opt to be in charge, or not be in charge. Optional. :rolleyes:

ETA: Earlier linked -- PA's job was the highest salary for LE in the County.

I've previously posted my experience of towns like Uvalde of similar size and demographics, and how much cultural respect is valued, While I believe this donor ultimately wanted to remain anonymous, his is another good example of "getting it."

While his contribution was financial, I believe it was motivated by his recognition of how the families of Uvalde live and what they value.

And good on him. IMO, he's right up there with the Statesman bilingual reporters that quickly came forward to produce a Spanish translation of the Texas House Commission report for the Uvalde families. MOO

"I know every family there probably works their butts off just to do what they do. ... The last thing they needed was to shell out thousands of dollars for something that never should have happened."

Jackson said he felt a personal connection to the city he's driven through many times. Uvalde has been a regular stop for a bite to eat or groceries before a long drive farther west to visit a friend's ranch on hunting trips.

It was his familiarity with the feel of Uvalde's Main Street, leafy town square and the people he'd met on those stops that touched his heart when the news broke on May 24 of the shooting at Robb Elementary. Law enforcement has been heavily criticized for taking more than an hour to enter the classroom where the 18-year-old gunman carried out the attack, and a Texas House investigative report laid blame on the school district, saying a lax safety culture, spotty alert system and unlocked doors also contributed.

"The mother of the gunman responsible for the deadly mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was caught on video yelling at the mother of one of her son's victims".

Video in Spanish (Telemundo) embedded in the article.

"The mother of the gunman responsible for the deadly mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, Texas, was caught on video yelling at the mother of one of her son's victims".

There's video of the spat at the above link. It sounds like SR's mom was kinda minding her own business when a family approached her. I don't blame Garza's family for lashing out at her. Maybe SR's mom was frustrated and lost it. FWIW: SR's mom probably does not have an attorney giving her advice. (Which is usually standard practice in these situations) MOO.

According to Telemundo, Martinez was walking down a road when a black SUV with family members of Amerie's inside pulled up alongside her. They then exit the vehicle and confront her.

Good for Bo.

Wow, that is terrible. There is a LOT of pain in that town. It is going to be difficult for everyone.

There's video of the spat at the above link. It sounds like SR's mom was kinda minding her own business when a family approached her. I don't blame Garza's family for lashing out at her. Maybe SR's mom was frustrated and lost it. FWIW: SR's mom probably does not have an attorney giving her advice. (Which is usually standard practice in these situations) MOO.

According to Telemundo, Martinez was walking down a road when a black SUV with family members of Amerie's inside pulled up alongside her. They then exit the vehicle and confront her.

Here is DM more detailed report

I have a question about the classroom door locks. It is my understanding that even if the lock was working, the door could only be locked with a key, from the hallway. Like a teacher would do if leaving for the day? Do I have that correct that it would not matter if the lock was broken, there was never a way to lock the shooter out? TIA.

I remember Amerie’s family being in the news from the beginning. I feel sad for them.

I have a question about the classroom door locks. It is my understanding that even if the lock was working, the door could only be locked with a key, from the hallway. Like a teacher would do if leaving for the day? Do I have that correct that it would not matter if the lock was broken, there was never a way to lock the shooter out? TIA.
Yes, that is correct @SuziQ .

It's an old school and reported earlier that the design with locks on the exterior was made after considering teachers could be locked out of the classroom if the lock was on the interior.

It's an old school and reported earlier that the design with locks on the exterior was made after considering teachers could be locked out of the classroom if the lock was on the interior.
Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. The media and state politicians are making such a big deal over the broken lock when a working lock still would not have helped. Wouldn't Arrendondo have known that the door would not have been locked from the inside no matter what? That is so messed up. And if he didn't know, any other teacher or Admin at the school could have told him. And have we heard from the Principal at all? Who is this person?

Thank you! I thought I was going crazy. The media and state politicians are making such a big deal over the broken lock when a working lock still would not have helped. Wouldn't Arrendondo have known that the door would not have been locked from the inside no matter what? That is so messed up. And if he didn't know, any other teacher or Admin at the school could have told him. And have we heard from the Principal at all? Who is this person?

https://twitter.com/RyanWoodDFW

@RyanWoodDFW

NEW: Uvalde school board has CANCELLED tomorrow's special board meeting where the superintendent is recommending firing Uvalde CISD police chief Pete Arredondo. District cites 'due process requirements' and will reschedule the meeting.

Attachments

• C2FEF72F-0670-45B1-B09C-EDE91DB8939E.png
    C2FEF72F-0670-45B1-B09C-EDE91DB8939E.png
    70.2 KB · Views: 2

I read that the wing where the classes were on was built about 20 years ago. I'll check Historical Aerials later, but I remember checking them shortly after the shooting because Street View did not show the back parking lot.

In my opinion there's no reason for all schools to not have adequate locks that keep unwanted and dangerous people outside of school campus's and classrooms. That should have been a priorty many years ago. JMO.

^^BBM

She's identified in the 77pg TX House Comm Report as Mandy Guiterrez.

However, I recall first learning her name during a news interview at a residence across the street from the injured grandmother's house. This was MG's family home and her dad was being interviewed about his neighbor shot by her grandson. MOO

1658555277623.png

The Historical Aerials show the addition was completed sometime between 1995 and 2004.

I can't remember whether the doors had inside or outside locks. All I remember is Pete Arredondo tried out a bunch of keys and then they didn't need the keys.

Historic Aerials_ Viewer (15).pngHistoric Aerials_ Viewer (14).png

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lyle.person1
Back