TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022 #3

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Thanks for the video link, @Seattle1 .
I have to say that those parents/relatives testifying are more gracious and restrained than I could ever be !

Thinking of the lives that could have been saved if the shooter was taken down in three minutes, as per the new reports coming out today.
Unbelievable.
It just keeps on getting worse.
My .02.

Last edited:
AP needs to be charged and see jail time for what he did. NO DOUBT IN MY MIND.

Florida is currently prosecuting the SRO from Parkland - trial coming up in the fall - and that guy was just an SRO that cowered outside the building and didn't go in.
^^rsbm

Right or wrong, I believe the state statute is going to govern any charges against PA such as with Peterson that's been charged with neglect and negligence.

No doubt PA grossly failed his citizens but as I've opined before, I don't believe PA was fit for the position he was hired. I can't get past the comments by the Board when he was hired -- leaving me with the impression that his years of law enforcement experience were incorrectly deemed a valid substitute for his mental and physical fitness for the job. To be clear, this man, Chief PA, the incident commander, abandoned his police radio at the first notice of an emergency!

IMO, the entire community (school and public) was in danger from the date he was hired.

Peterson is charged with seven counts of child neglect, three counts of culpable negligence, and one count of perjury for his alleged failures to fulfill his law enforcement duties as Cruz, a former student at the school, fired upon students and teachers.

The Broward State Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting Peterson, has already had access to the crime scene at the school to help them prepare for trial, according to the court records.

[..]

The former BSO deputy has defended his actions the day of Cruz’s killings in the school’s 1200 Building, stating he did not know the killer’s location and thought the building might have been under attack from a sniper.

“I arrived at that scene, and when I got there, I heard two to three shots outside,” Peterson said last year during a news conference with his attorney. “I immediately got on my radio, and I reported ‘Shots fired.’ I then went on my school radio to lock down the school, to safeguard the 3,200 kids on that campus.”

“I’ve been trained for 30 years, you don’t stand outside when there’s gunfire right outside, so I looked for the closest position of tactical cover, which was the 700 building, and that’s where I moved to, and at that moment I became the incident commander on the scene, still not knowing at all, never knowing, that there was a shooter or shooters inside that building shooting students and staff,” Peterson said. “I never once when I was at that 700 building knew that.”

It was kind of a no brainer from the beginning. Killer was able to enter the classroom so why in the world would LE need a key. How are all these poor people and children suppose to process all of this.

I'm recalling one of the first survivors interviewed describing how Mrs. Garcia went to lock the classroom door when she was believed shot through the glass relay window before the shooter entered the room. I think the child's memory gave credence to the idea that the classroom doors are not automatically locked full-time as recently claimed. However, it was never clear to me if Mrs. Garcia was able to lock the door and the shooter reached inside and opened the door, or if he was able to enter using the external door handle. MOO

I'm recalling one of the first survivors interviewed describing how Mrs. Garcia went to lock the classroom door when she was believed shot through the glass relay window before the shooter entered the room. I think the child's memory gave credence to the idea that the classroom doors are not automatically locked full-time as recently claimed. However, it was never clear to me if Mrs. Garcia was able to lock the door and the shooter reached inside and opened the door, or if he was able to enter using the external door handle. MOO
I understood from earlier reports, that as she was going to the door to close it (b/c she heard the shots) - the shooter suddenly appeared.
The door to the classroom was open when he came.
But he later barricaded it.
That is what I remember a student said.
MOO

Last edited:
^^rsbm

Right or wrong, I believe the state statute is going to govern any charges against PA such as with Peterson that's been charged with neglect and negligence.

No doubt PA grossly failed his citizens but as I've opined before, I don't believe PA was fit for the position he was hired. I can't get past the comments by the Board when he was hired -- leaving me with the impression that his years of law enforcement experience were incorrectly deemed a valid substitute for his mental and physical fitness for the job. To be clear, this man, Chief PA, the incident commander, abandoned his police radio at the first notice of an emergency!

IMO, the entire community (school and public) was in danger from the date he was hired.

Peterson is charged with seven counts of child neglect, three counts of culpable negligence, and one count of perjury for his alleged failures to fulfill his law enforcement duties as Cruz, a former student at the school, fired upon students and teachers.

The Broward State Attorney’s Office, which is prosecuting Peterson, has already had access to the crime scene at the school to help them prepare for trial, according to the court records.

[..]

The former BSO deputy has defended his actions the day of Cruz’s killings in the school’s 1200 Building, stating he did not know the killer’s location and thought the building might have been under attack from a sniper.

“I arrived at that scene, and when I got there, I heard two to three shots outside,” Peterson said last year during a news conference with his attorney. “I immediately got on my radio, and I reported ‘Shots fired.’ I then went on my school radio to lock down the school, to safeguard the 3,200 kids on that campus.”

“I’ve been trained for 30 years, you don’t stand outside when there’s gunfire right outside, so I looked for the closest position of tactical cover, which was the 700 building, and that’s where I moved to, and at that moment I became the incident commander on the scene, still not knowing at all, never knowing, that there was a shooter or shooters inside that building shooting students and staff,” Peterson said. “I never once when I was at that 700 building knew that.”

<modsnip> But people there are very angry and still very angry today at the way Peterson acted. And he did know there were shots being fired - the other guy in the golf cart that was with him testified that he heard the gunfire and left on the golf cart. There were never shots fired outside - Cruz waited until he was in the building and put the gun together in one of the stairwells - and - here's a story for you - another student came into that stairwell while he was doing that and Cruz looked at that kid and told him something like "you need to get out of here now - its going to be bad". That kid took off and was unharmed. It was all over so fast that NC was done shooting - ditched the gun and walked out (blended in) with the other evacuating students. He was arrested like an hour or so later and a nearby McDonald's.

As for PA - what he did - is far way worse than what SP did. And you are right - he was certainly not fit for duty. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

People are tired of this - all of this. Its society's norm to go to the "blame game".

I was 25 miles away - in Broward county - when Parkland happened. I watched it all unfold for days, weeks, - it was scary, and heartbreaking, and agonizing. And, SP was almost immediately thrown to the wolves.

But what PA did - he TOOK COMMAND - SP never really engaged with any other LE on scene. PA made decisions, issued commands, requested assets and/or resources. And now, to find out he disarmed and removed another LE (whose wife was in the room and dying) from the scene. No. To me - and this is JMHO - that crossed the line.
We heard that the teacher (wife) died in the ambulance - so she was still alive even when the breach happened but it had gone on so long that she died en route to the hospital. And there was another little girl reported on - she had been shot in the kidney / back and the doctor told the parents she died of exsanguination (blood loss) - so she could have been saved if they would have breached earlier.

Don't get me wrong - SR is 100% responsible for the death and destruction that day. However, under the command of PA (or lack thereof) in response to that incident caused more deaths than would have otherwise been injuries.

Interesting that the guys testifying now are from the LE licensing board for the state of Texas. Seems they not only want PA's license - they want to make sure he NEVER WORKS IN LE ANYWHERE, EVER AGAIN.

The Attorney General is the one that is going to decide whether or not to pursue PA. It was mentioned in McCraw's testimony about a Grand Jury - but had said that one had not been established yet.

JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
I found this last week. It is long but it gives a good account and, to me, it has "shades" of a puff piece. But it does say at the end that Scot Peterson is not a victim.

PA should make this a definite read as this is where his life is now headed - either way this turns out.

Scot Peterson Sleeps At Night​

The day 17 people were shot to death inside Marjory Stoneman Douglas High School, the only armed officer on the property stood outside, apparently doing nothing. He can explain, and he does—at length. Is he trying to convince the victims’ parents? The survivors? Other cops? Or himself?

One interesting note - he now lives with his girlfriend who was a teacher at Parkland! She had retired right before the shooting - but still. That was new to me.

JMHO

As terrible (an incomprehensible) as the narrative delivered by DPS Chief McCrae is, the only way forward is with truth telling.
And then accountability.

I mourn the promising futures lost that day. I grieve for all whose lives are tragically changed by this horror.

I appreciate our state's legislative efforts to investigate & hopefully create change to prevent such horrific loss of life.

MOO

OMG OMG OMG!!!

The officer whose wife (teacher) was shot and had called him to tell him she had been shot and was dying (which she did in the ambulance) -

Per McCraw - that officer tried to move forward in the hall and they (LE) TOOK HIS GUN AWAY AND REMOVED HIM FROM THE SCENE!!!!!!

OMG OMG OMG

How horrific. That poor man - my thoughts and prayers go out to him.

It is a heavy burden to hear your wife on the phone as she is dying and you could do nothing to save her.

This whole scenario should be making people outrageously angry. I have no loved ones there and I am beyond sad about how this was so botched.

Last edited:
PA needs to resign. That is the least he can do. He obviously wasn’t fit for this job but it’s too late now to right that mistake in judgement by whomever appointed him to the position.

I’d be surprised if he hasn’t received death threats. The Uvalde community needs for this to happen. I’d be fuming if I lived in that area knowing he is still in that position after 4 weeks.

I believe that officer is the man who died of a heart attack in the days following the massacre. It is a heavy burden to hear your wife on the phone as she is dying and you could do nothing to save her.

This whole scenario should be making people outrageously angry. I have no loved ones there and I am beyond sad about how this was so botched.
Sorry but no. The other teacher died and her husband, after visiting the memorial the next day, went home, sat down and died of a heart attack. They left 4 children behind.

This teacher was the second teacher - she was married to an LE officer in Uvalde. She called him after she had been shot and told him that she had been shot. He rushed to the campus and went in.

Today, in the testimony - it was that officer that was going to go in - when he went into the hallway PA ordered LE to take his gun from him and had him removed from the scene!

I believe that officer is the man who died of a heart attack in the days following the massacre. It is a heavy burden to hear your wife on the phone as she is dying and you could do nothing to save her.
The husband who died of heart attack was Mr Garcia.

The husband of Mrs Mireles is former SWAT.

@KENS5
·

BREAKING: Uvalde City Council unanimously votes to deny embattled district police chief Pete Arredondo a leave of absence, setting up his potential departure from the governing body if he misses a third straight meeting

@perryrussom
NEW: Uvalde City Council votes to DENY Pete Arredondo a leave of absence from city council meetings. Vote was unanimous
@thenewsoncnbc

Last edited:
I have a question.
Silly one haha

Is PETE a proper first name or diminutive of PETER ???

If diminutive, why is it used in formal address?

Usually a diminutive form of first name is used informally, among friends, no?

I ask as a foreigner :)

You are probably right and word on the street is he's going to "get off". But people there are very angry and still very angry today at the way Peterson acted. And he did know there were shots being fired - the other guy in the golf cart that was with him testified that he heard the gunfire and left on the golf cart. There were never shots fired outside - Cruz waited until he was in the building and put the gun together in one of the stairwells - and - here's a story for you - another student came into that stairwell while he was doing that and Cruz looked at that kid and told him something like "you need to get out of here now - its going to be bad". That kid took off and was unharmed. It was all over so fast that NC was done shooting - ditched the gun and walked out (blended in) with the other evacuating students. He was arrested like an hour or so later and a nearby McDonald's.

As for PA - what he did - is far way worse than what SP did. And you are right - he was certainly not fit for duty. It will be interesting to see how this one plays out.

People are tired of this - all of this. Its society's norm to go to the "blame game".

I was 25 miles away - in Broward county - when Parkland happened. I watched it all unfold for days, weeks, - it was scary, and heartbreaking, and agonizing. And, SP was almost immediately thrown to the wolves.

But what PA did - he TOOK COMMAND - SP never really engaged with any other LE on scene. PA made decisions, issued commands, requested assets and/or resources. And now, to find out he disarmed and removed another LE (whose wife was in the room and dying) from the scene. No. To me - and this is JMHO - that crossed the line.
We heard that the teacher (wife) died in the ambulance - so she was still alive even when the breach happened but it had gone on so long that she died en route to the hospital. And there was another little girl reported on - she had been shot in the kidney / back and the doctor told the parents she died of exsanguination (blood loss) - so she could have been saved if they would have breached earlier.

Don't get me wrong - SR is 100% responsible for the death and destruction that day. However, under the command of PA (or lack thereof) in response to that incident caused more deaths than would have otherwise been injuries.

Interesting that the guys testifying now are from the LE licensing board for the state of Texas. Seems they not only want PA's license - they want to make sure he NEVER WORKS IN LE ANYWHERE, EVER AGAIN.

The Attorney General is the one that is going to decide whether or not to pursue PA. It was mentioned in McCraw's testimony about a Grand Jury - but had said that one had not been established yet.

JMHO

While I don't know anything about Chief PA, I want to believe there would have been no shame in Chief PA acknowledging his inability to face the enemy and choosing to remain outside, exactly where he abandoned not one but two police radios.

IMO, the moment PA made the decision to remove his police radio from his person, he had both a professional and moral responsibility to immediately step down and name a qualified commander to take charge. I find this act very symbolic of what was going through his mind at this crucial moment.

Instead, PA entered the building where he knowingly continued to compound the problem by bad decisions that proved fatal to innocent children and their teachers.

It pains me to no end that the teachers and children did exactly what they were trained to do, and under the direction of PA, otherwise qualified, collective forces also failed the victims.

It should go without saying that only the shooter was responsible for the deranged action to gun down school children, but I'm not done with PA.

What he's done since the shooting (hiding behind his lawyer, contemplating how to spin the facts), causes me to believe that PA may very well have removed his radio(s) in advance, and was intended by PA to be his excuse for fumbling this emergency.

Just as in cases predating this tragedy, it's the cover-up and PA's unwillingness to acknowledge how he contributed to the tragedy that I find so deplorable and unforgivable. JMO.

I have a question.
Silly one haha

Almost everyone in the US named Peter goes by the nickname Pete. It's not diminutive. However Pete Arredono's real name is Pedro.

I have a question.
Silly one haha

To be honest, as of this date, I've never seen any MSM reference the Chief as Peter Arrendondo.

As another foreigner but with several decades in the US, I've personally found "when in Rome," a good practice to follow.

In general, I'd have to say the west, especially Texas, as probably one of the most informal and where the formal address would be Mr. Arredondo. Pete would not be seen as diminutive -- especially if PA has long referred to himself as Pete (as well if his legal name). MOO

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StacyStacyStacy
Back