TX - Uvalde; Robb Elementary, 19 children and 3 adults killed, shooter dead, 24 MAY 2022

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.

massguy & steeltown, i agree. and yes this screams of adam lanza. currently sleuthing parents/grandmother. not finding much. not that i could post it anyway. i have three teenage boys, and i'm not a "mamma bear". was super-strict with them early on, resulting in "easier" years before/since the pandemic. no excuses, no bullcrap, study hard, work hard, play hard, even if you're stuck in your house. someone watched this kid grow up...and...epic fail...

<modsnip: Judgmental of family we know nothing about>

(and as always, so nice to see you bravo!!!)
We can't know whether mental illness was at play here, but only 25% of mass shooters have some form of mental illness (ranging from mild to severe). IMO these mass shootings generally can't be blamed on mental illness, but more so the accessibility of firearms. After all, many countries have higher rates of mental illness compared to the US but they don't have mass shootings on an every-other-day basis.

Last edited by a moderator:
LE is not subject to HIPAA restrictions. Doctors are allowed to share that type of information with family and LE.

LE cannot call and get a doctor on the phone when they need to know important details. Doctors are busy and LE is busy. They need to see hospital admissions and prescriptions. There is no such database. How would they know even know which doctor to call?

We can't know whether mental illness was at play here, but only 25% of mass shooters have some form of mental illness (ranging from mild to severe). IMO these mass shootings generally can't be blamed on mental illness, but more so the accessibility of firearms. After all, many countries have higher rates of mental illness compared to the US but they don't have mass shootings on an every-other-day basis.
This guy killed his grandmother, killed innocent students and a teacher - no sane person would do that. Sane people don't do mass shootings. JMO

Until Congress repeals or amends HIPPA laws so that LE agencies doing background checks can see psychiatric treatments and admissions, I don't see anything changing any time soon. Perhaps the times of rounding up children into one building like sitting ducks all day should come to an end.
Perhaps they also should no longer go grocery shopping. Or to the movies. Or to church. Or concerts. Or…
Seriously, where is one safe from this if someone is that determined? Jmo

MOO, I respectfully disagree. Mass killers are mentally ill. I'll go further and state my belief that there are almost always red flags all over the place before a mass killer commits the killing. Family, friends, people on social media that see disturbing posts and do nothing.

Last edited:
LE cannot call and get a doctor on the phone when they need to know important details. Doctors are busy and LE is busy. They need to see hospital admissions and prescriptions. There is no such database. How would they know even know which doctor to call?
Involuntary commitments are already included in the NICS federal background check database that is used for gun purchases. The problem has been that because states have to add those records to the database themselves, some states have been better than others about updating their records but in recent years a number of states have taken the initiative to upload all relevant records to the NICS.

Involuntary commitments are already included in the NICS federal background check database that is used for gun purchases. The problem has been that because states have to add those records to the database themselves, some states have been better than others about updating their records but in recent years a number of states have taken the initiative to upload all relevant records to the NICS.
Sounds like it would be a very good thing if they get that done. Soon. There's not really a good reason to put it off. I'm sure there are plenty of qualified citizens who would volunteer their time to enter that data.

This guy killed his grandmother, killed innocent students and a teacher - no sane person would do that. Sane people don't do mass shootings. JMO
I've done extensive research on this topic in college and the research shows that there is no significant causation or correlation between mental illness and mass shootings. IMO it's easier to say someone killed innocent children because they weren't "sane" than to accept the fact that the problem is far more nuanced than just "crazy people with guns."

Research shows that mass shooters do not have a significantly higher prevalence of mental illness than the general American public: 25% of mass shooters have some form of mental illness compared to 18.1% of all American adults.

Mass murderers who use firearms are also less likely to have experienced symptoms of psychosis (8%) in their lifetime than mass murderers who do not use firearms (18%).

Meanwhile, the availability of "long guns" has a significant association with mass shooting incidents––they are implicated in 1 out of every 3 school shootings.

People with mental illness are not inherently evil, and the public narrative equating mass shootings with mental illness is not only unsupported by research, but it risks further stigmatizing those experiencing mental illness from seeking help. It's very difficult to understand why someone would want to massacre children as it seemingly defies comprehension, but evil exists everywhere, in all forms. IMO saying that someone must be mentally ill because they kill children helps no one except people struggling to accept that gun violence is a far more complex problem than "mentally ill people with guns." After all, some of the most horrific evils throughout the course of human history were inflicted by people that were totally "sane."

MOO.

I am crying for those families. I cannot imagine what those parents are feeling tonight, or the family of the teacher. Or any person in that school or community. I wonder how the parents of Sandy Hook are feeling tonight. Our country needs to feel ashamed of itself right now.

@BillFOXLA
The father of 10-year-old Annabelle Guadalupe Rodriguez tells us his daughter is missing following the mass shooting at Robb Elementary School in Uvalde, TX, where she is a student. He provided her photo to Texas Rangers. Many parents going through this tonight

Attachments

• B469775C-5385-4FEE-8185-B6D7E7CB5E78.jpeg
    B469775C-5385-4FEE-8185-B6D7E7CB5E78.jpeg
    86 KB · Views: 73
TX Senator on CNN says the death toll is now up to 18. The grandmother is still alive, though barely.

Shooter was born in North Dakota, moved to Texas. On his 18th birthday, he went out and bought the 2 assault rifles that he used today. Bought in Uvalde area from federally licensed gun stores. Social media discussion about violence by the shooter.

Senator is saying Uvalde is a small town, doesn't have any psych services. It is in a remote area.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sazy3