GUILTY TX - Zoe Hastings, 18, abducted & murdered, Dallas, 11 Oct 2015

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Cardinal, sadly there are no exterior video cams at that Walgreens. The locals are pushing Walgreens to correct this insane problem.

dianewms, Zoe could have had a black acquaintance, I don't know, but your question was a bit off-putting to me. MOO

The suggestion that it could be unrequited love due to some subtle flirtation is a bit odd; anyone familiar with Mormons would realize that would be a highly unlikely scenario. The church may have changed their "official" stance on some issues but that doesn't change individual beliefs/practices.

To say that this could or couldn't be this or that because she is a Mormon is faulty and dangerous. Why is her religion continually brought up anyway? I really don't think it has anything to do with her murder. If she had been going to a Catholic church or some nondenominational church I don't think we would be constantly bringing up her mannerisms that we think she should have because of her religion.
My ex and entire family were Mormons, trust me there people just like us and can fall prey to just about anything (including flirting) the same like any other person can, sorry for the digression.
Moving on, many in the community have been discussing the situation. Who knows if she really moved over and let another man drive her car? But let's just assume that that did happen... We all agree, it is a very very strange thing to do no matter the person unless they are your mother or father. I just can't imagine why she would move over for an acquaintance or someone she hardly knew, which he certainly seems to be someone that no one knows of her knowing at least he doesn't match the description of someone she knows. The only thing that makes sense is that she was scared. There must have been a gun. It just seems highly unusual that she would let a stranger drive the family car.

Cardinal, sadly there are no exterior video cams at that Walgreens. The locals are pushing Walgreens to correct this insane problem.

The police chief did not answer yes or no about video. I think, without going back, when asked about video he said 'not at this time'. Which leaves it open to discussion.

This seems to be a very small area from Zoe's home to Walgreens to the Stop sign to the Church. Lots of businesses along those ways.

I believe they do have video and they have to get it out immediately. Memories of what one say October 10/11 fade quickly.

Also the 'description' fits just about every homeless person in Dallas. Long hair, skinny and 5'10". That certainly doesn't narrow it.

The public can help if they will just give something to work with.

Also I too have wondered why Zoe moved over to the passenger seat. Just seemed odd to me. I too think she was scared to death. Sudden danger and a knife or gun can do that to any of us.

I just keep waiting and waiting to hear anything but it's going quiet and that's never a good sign in a murder investigation.

Wasn't she found inside or outside the drivers side? I know there were inconsistencies about her being in or out at the start, do we know yet?

MOO!!

I'm just so curious why they circled back towards walgreens/the creek? Cause let's go with the homeless idea, when they say robbery wasnt the motive and nothing was missing. Someone who is homeless wouldnt have anywhere to clean up following such a messy attack. Someone who is homeless and car-less could really go anywhere there is woods or cover to hide his actions, so why head back to where you started?

And where did he go after leaving her at the creek?

It was a beautiful sunny day and in broad daylight, in a fairly populated area. An area with lots of runners and dog walkers. And no one saw anything?

We have someone who heard the speed sign wreck but didnt see it come around a corner and speak to someone who did see it? Did the person who was closer and they want to speak with see enough to know who was driving at that point?

I just cannot help but think they had a car near the walgreens even if they were homeless. Where did they go?

And if her phone was still in vehicle was it on, did they get any data from it and any pings to possible confirm the route traveled?

And if it was on, were her family checking the gps once she didnt show for the mission class? I know I gps my daughter to check on her often, I am just so overprotective after having a family friend murdered in 1980 .... I do it more than I admit to her. But I do notice if she has been using it, the circle when it locates her is fairly small .. if she hasnt been using it can be as much as "within 1700 yards" which is almost a mile wide? Which if that was case, it wouldve looked like she was right where she was expected to be? How maddening that would be if the case?

I just know when I lived on Country club drive, kids from Robert T Hill would walk down our street and cross and go directly into creek area. Almost exactly where she was found but on opposite side? Does this still happen, could the perp have gone to that jr high ?

Just hoping there is more evidence that will lead to the killer. I worry that if they had video we would see it by now, so I am concerned that nothing of any quality was found so far?

How long does it take to get dna back?

Kathy

Cardinal, with all due respect there are NO exterior video cams. I'm at this Walgreens several times a week - I live right off of Newcombe and Peavy where the posted speed limit sign (it was not a Stop sign as is being reported) was run over. I've had issues with this Walgreen's not having exterior cams for years. There is currently a petition that has been signed by hundreds of locals demanding Walgreens and two other businesses near by install exterior video cams with recording capabilities. It's shocking to me that in this day and age a business would not value the safety of their customers enough to have exterior cams.

P.S. to add to the conversation of there being no video cams. I and many others spoke with the manager of this store about the lack of cams since Zoe potentially was taken from their parking lot. He responded that their Loss and Prevention Department was updated on the situation and that exterior cams will be installed but he could not give me a date for the installation. Numerous of us in this immediate area have committed to personally visiting him at least once a week in person to make sure the cameras are in fact installed.

Cardinal, with all due respect there are NO exterior video cams. I'm at this Walgreens several times a week - I live right off of Newcombe and Peavy where the posted speed limit sign was run over. I've had issues with this Walgreen's not having exterior cams for years. There is currently a petition that has been signed by hundreds of locals demanding Walgreens and two other businesses near by install exterior video cams with recording capabilities. It's shocking to me that in this day and age a business would not value the safety of their customers enough to have exterior cams.

Are there no video cameras at all from Walgreens to the Stop sign then back to the church and then to where her car was found?

It looked from the maps there were a lot of 'possibilities' for video other than Walgreens.

Our Walgreens is in a very nice neighborhood with lots of cameras everywhere. One directly by the Red Box machine.

Strange they have them where they don't need them but don't have them where they do need them.

Good for the residents signing petitions and moving forward in getting machines there. After all this...well you know.

So other than Walgreens I think there has to be some video of what happened.

Didn't a group canvass that area for video? I wonder what they found?

Considering they were circling back when they hit the sign, it does seem they exited and went past a whole bunch of businesses before heading back to the creek.

While we know they have been asking for private security video from anyone's homes, have they asked for same from businesses along Buckner and casa linda shopping areas as well? And they passed two schools and a hospital if that was the route where is any footage those could have? And my guess is they stayed on main streets until Ferguson and Peavy and those are less traveled and more wooded than Garland or Buckner?

But, if you dont catch lights you could make that arc in about 7-10 minutes it isnt a huge window of time from the 4:40ish drop off to the 4:50ish hitting of the sign? Then about another 5-7 minutes to where she was found?

Amazing so very much can happen in such a short time period.

Kathy

Are there no video cameras at all from Walgreens to the Stop sign then back to the church and then to where her car was found?

It looked from the maps there were a lot of 'possibilities' for video other than Walgreens.

Our Walgreens is in a very nice neighborhood with lots of cameras everywhere. One directly by the Red Box machine.

Strange they have them where they don't need them but don't have them where they do need them.

Good for the residents signing petitions and moving forward in getting machines there. After all this...well you know.

So other than Walgreens I think there has to be some video of what happened.

Didn't a group canvass that area for video? I wonder what they found?

IF she was taken from the Red Box and IF they headed down Peavy the chances of a video catching them would be fairly small. They have asked residents in the area to check their personal home video cams but as far as I know nothing has been found. Groups canvassed the area before Zoe was buried, I have no idea if any useful information was found.

Kathy, I think it's very strange that Zoe's vehicle was obviously headed back toward Walgreens from Peavy when the sign was hit. I saw the area today where her car was found. Lots of flowers are being put out for her - it sure felt to me that someone would have to know the area well for her car to be there. Could she have been alone by this time, trying to get home/or church for help and and crashed there? The location is in a winding neighborhood, not on a main street. So many questions. RIP precious Zoe. Many people care and so want this man found.

But to leave on peavy that would have them proceeding just post abduction past the front door of walgreens, my guess is they exited on that same side as the red box = the less traveled side, onto garland road down to buckner and went to ferguson and cut back to peavy? If they went immediately to peavy that would almost suggest they did a u turn at some point to be oriented to be going in direction to hit sign?

When we canvassed we were assigned Mercer which is inside of that arc/loop I imagine they traveled. But I would doubt they were winding around inside that neighborhood, I think once he was behind wheel they were moving pretty fast, I mean the sign was flattened?

So many questions.

Kathy

Considering they were circling back when they hit the sign, it does seem they exited and went past a whole bunch of businesses before heading back to the creek.

While we know they have been asking for private security video from anyone's homes, have they asked for same from businesses along Buckner and casa linda shopping areas as well? And they passed two schools and a hospital if that was the route where is any footage those could have? And my guess is they stayed on main streets until Ferguson and Peavy and those are less traveled and more wooded than Garland or Buckner?

But, if you dont catch lights you could make that arc in about 7-10 minutes it isnt a huge window of time from the 4:40ish drop off to the 4:50ish hitting of the sign? Then about another 5-7 minutes to where she was found?

Amazing so very much can happen in such a short time period.

Kathy

Kathy, yes if after the abduction they drove past Casa Linda there surely would have been some sort of video in the area. They have red light cameras installed at the intersection of Buckner/Garland that monitor cars that run red lights. It's a super busy intersection with banks on two corners. MOO but the perp might not have chanced going in that direction due to heavy traffic/people out and about at the lake.

RIP Zoe.

As previously stated, I go to that Walgreens several times a week and if I have to park on the side where the Red Box is I still leave on Peavy (drive past the front door).

I'm interested in the bus stop located between Walgreens parking lot/Red Box side and Garland Road. There are usually always people waiting at that bus stop and it would be very easy to see anything going on at the Red Box from the benches there. I've wondered if the witness that described the black male talking to a blonde female in a white minivan was a bus passenger waiting at that stop.

I'm like you as far as I have so many questions. I'm deeply sorry that such a bright light had her life ended right here in my community. It feels as if we let her down somehow, you know what I mean?

We don't really have a timeline do we? We know she left her home about 4:30 - 4:45 and was at Walgreens shortly after then a person got into her van and drove away. The van hit a stop sign and the van was found the next morning.

We don't know that the car went directly to the spot she was found. We really know nothing from the stop sign to the place the car was found. Could have been right away or in the middle of the night.

I am thinking this killer had two things in mind. Robbery or rape. Which one was it. That of course would be stranger danger.

On the other hand it was brutal from what I read. A rage killing? Who would have that kind of rage for Zoe?

Seems like no press conferences and no newspaper articles make me wonder what they aren't saying.

For some reason I just imagine they didnt head past the front door? I mean we all assume security cameras would be working at a damn pharmacy? You would think the perp would assume that too and be trying to get out of dodge without being seen once he was driving?

And considering they were hitting the speed limit sign within 10-15 minutes (still prior to five pm supposedly) it was a short time period and I just cannot imagine they were snaking through the more residential parts of that possible drive? To move that fast, my guess is they were on streets where speeds are faster and more open lanes than peavy.

And red light cameras only trip and record if lights are ran, they dont record otherwise so unless some other driver ran a light near their vehicle there wouldnt be any footage from a red light cam?

But so many businesses, where is some damn video?

Kathy

I plan to be canvassing in the area on Saturday (weather permitting) by distributing the phamplet used in the earlier efforts. I will not be going door to door as both dozens of volunteers have already done that and I think some people who may be able to give the police some information are homeless and do not have doors to knock on.

That aside, does anybody know where exactly the van was found? Also, does anybody know if the police have called off such canvassing efforts? Though the information that I have from the Go Fund Me page and Police statements indicates that the Police are welcoming such efforts, I definetly dont want to interfere with their investigation.

I plan to be canvassing in the area on Saturday (weather permitting) by distributing the phamplet used in the earlier efforts. I will not be going door to door as both dozens of volunteers have already done that and I think some people who may be able to give the police some information are homeless and do not have doors to knock on.

That aside, does anybody know where exactly the van was found? Also, does anybody know if the police have called off such canvassing efforts? Though the information that I have from the Go Fund Me page and Police statements indicates that the Police are welcoming such efforts, I definetly dont want to interfere with their investigation.

If you think your efforts are interfering with the investigation I would just call the LE before you begin. Ask them. Better safe than sorry.

Cyrptic,

The vehicle was found in the 11700 block of Dixfield Drive off of Lippitt Drive. It's a pretty, winding neighborhood, off the main road. If you drive by the location, you will see where people are leaving flowers in the field nearby the creek where the car was found.

Near creek at about Easton & Lippett. Just opposite Lake Highlands and there is grassy meadow at the curve where van went over embankment. Noriega said in first interviews that he too drove up on the grassy meadow over the curb, once the guy flagged him down and when he approached her he could she was deceased from her skin color from a distance.

Which if you go to fox 4 and watch on their site that information is edited out but if you find where someone embedded it when sharing on social media it is a full 2 minutes longer and you hear him describe finding her. Which does differ from some media accounts and because the police are no longer discussing that I will not post here as I am unsure why that is no longer discussed?

And in rewatching that after the most recent press conference, they show several angles of the police dusting the vehicle and processing it at the scene but after they pulled it from embankment.

It does make you wonder if he stayed along the creekbed and walked hidden from view along creek versus emerging from creek where he might have been seen? That creek rambles along for a long stretch even going under a couple small bridges? Or he couldve crossed the creek and gone across Lake Highlands and been up Country Club Dr. and onto Easton within about a five minute walk?

So many options in getting away from crime scene undetected, this is why I feel he knew that creek. But why?

Kathy

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Clue Keeper
Back