TX - Zuzu Verk, 22, Alpine, 12 Oct 2016 #1

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Status
Not open for further replies.
Huh? RF and his lawyer are conducting their own investigation (per the lawyer's statement)? I've never heard something like that. Why don't they help LE with their investigation, aren't they much better equipped? Odd.

Yeah we have heard something like that before... Casey Anthony was also conducting her "own investigation" for her daughter before calling police. My heart is breaking for this family.

Today Texas Equusearch took over the search. The video linked below has a nice segment with Tim Miller and also a short segment with Tim and ZuZu's parents. He must be such a comforting presence for them since he knows exactly how they feel.

From Tim Miller:

"Right now it's a process of elimination and at the end of the day when we don't have her located it doesn't really feel that bad because we know where she's not. As long as we know where she's not, we still hold on to that little glimmer of hope that we have," EquuSearch founder Tim Miller said.

attachment.php

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/398047601.html

Attachments

• IMG_1953.PNG
    IMG_1953.PNG
    567.5 KB · Views: 503
Welcome g8torgirl, and thank you for your first post!
Yes, this is a very sad case all around.
Prayers for ZuZu's family. I love her name, because it reminds me of my favorite movie.

Thank you rosefromangels! My daughter's name is Zola... we call her Zozo... I've been following ever since I heard the name Zuzu!

Welcome g8torgirl, and thank you for your first post!
Yes, this is a very sad case all around.
Prayers for ZuZu's family. I love her name, because it reminds me of my favorite movie.

Ah yes, "It's a Wonderful Life." Dear ZuZu...that would be my wish for you.

Yeah we have heard something like that before... Casey Anthony was also conducting her "own investigation" for her daughter before calling police. My heart is breaking for this family.

:welcome: Good to have you here and that's a good point you made. So RF is in "good" company with that investigating stuff. It's hard to believe an attorney would even say that.

:welcome: Good to have you here and that's a good point you made. So RF is in "good" company with that investigating stuff. It's hard to believe an attorney would even say that.

My immediate thought was that once he's through "investigating" ZuZu's disappearance, he can help O.J. find the "real" killer of Nicole Brown. :jail:

RF's attorney says he has cooperated, is distraught over ZuZu's disappearance and they are conducting their own investigation.

How did RF cooperate? Leave his apartment while they searched or something?

If RF is distraught over ZuZu's disappearance, he needs to think how her family feels and reach out and offer information.

Hmmmm...what resources could he and his attorney bring to this investigation beyond the team already working to find her?

http://www.cbs7.com/content/news/398037291.html

He was brought in for questioning early on and quickly retained a lawyer. So, the lawyer is correct to say "he did cooperate."

Conducting their own investigation is standard criminal defense procedure. Due to lawyer-client confidentiality, we can only speculate what exactly they are investigating. My assumption is they are gathering evidence to prove his innocence and/or defense if he is accused or charged with something.

I'm not surprised he isn't talking or assisting in the search. He is the last known person to have seen her. Due to the time of day, he probably has no solid alibi. Most people are sleeping during the early morning hours on a weekday.

Let's say he's innocent... he doesn't have any proof (or he wouldn't need a lawyer). Anything he says to anyone other than his lawyer could potentially build a case against him.

And if he is guilty or knowledgeable of her disappearance... LE doesn't have any proof (yet), he's staying quiet and hoping they won't find any.

Heartbreak, fear and guilt all contribute to distress. My gut says it's guilt, unfortunately.

Hi there, everyone. I actually joined WS because of Zuzu's case. This case has been keeping me up at night, giving me nightmares, and won't leave my thoughts. Truly disturbing situation.
I live in Fort Davis, am an EMS medic out here, and know RF personally. We hung out on a pretty regular basis almost all of last year with a group of college-aged kids who would all get together and do athletic games - basketball, volleyball,ultimate frisbee. I never got good vibes off of him, and so we never became close friends. He was, though, close friends with my best (female) friend. Long story incredibly short, after a night out last year, he disappeared with my best friend without telling anyone where he was taking her. I called him over and over until I reached him and demanded he bring her back immediately or I would call the police. He did. I went off on him when he returned her - and he dared to step up to me as though he was going to lay his hands on me. His friends grabbed him and held him back from getting physical. He is a large guy - over 6' and very fit. Due to this situation with me, I definitely wonder if him and Zuzu got into an argument and it escalated. Just for comparison… I am 5'1", 90lbs.

To me it seems more likely this was an argument gone awry than premeditated. And that leaves a few things... First of all, only him to get rid of her body - which means that while there is SO. MUCH. LAND out here, a vast portion of it is extremely, extremely rough terrain. I don't believe he would have hiked out 5 miles with her body. Yes he is very large and she is very small, but I do know that dead weight is very heavy weight regardless, and he wouldn't have been able to trek her out incredibly far by himself. I do believe he drove her somewhere, but I am guessing she won't be as far off the beaten path as some assume. If you look on google earth at the amount of mountainous terrain heading away from Fort Davis via 118(hwy off where I live) I very much wonder if she may be out there. It would not be difficult to drive past the observatory a ways, pull over, and drop someone literally straight over the edge of a mountain. They would become easily obscured by brush. These areas need to be searched! I have been searching here in Jeff Davis county, and will continue tomorrow. I am distraught for this family and Zuzu. How I pray she is found safe, but my hopes are dwindling..

Your post is very credible, and I agree with your theory. Look up thread as to where I suggest searchers look right off 118. A straight shot up from where her car was found, but far enough away from observing eyes. I agree that searching off hey 118 is a good possibility, and agree he wouldn't have carried her far.

Hi there, everyone. I actually joined WS because of Zuzu's case. This case has been keeping me up at night, giving me nightmares, and won't leave my thoughts. Truly disturbing situation.
I live in Fort Davis, am an EMS medic out here, and know RF personally. We hung out on a pretty regular basis almost all of last year with a group of college-aged kids who would all get together and do athletic games - basketball, volleyball,ultimate frisbee. I never got good vibes off of him, and so we never became close friends. He was, though, close friends with my best (female) friend. Long story incredibly short, after a night out last year, he disappeared with my best friend without telling anyone where he was taking her. I called him over and over until I reached him and demanded he bring her back immediately or I would call the police. He did. I went off on him when he returned her - and he dared to step up to me as though he was going to lay his hands on me. His friends grabbed him and held him back from getting physical. He is a large guy - over 6' and very fit. Due to this situation with me, I definitely wonder if him and Zuzu got into an argument and it escalated. Just for comparison… I am 5'1", 90lbs.

To me it seems more likely this was an argument gone awry than premeditated. And that leaves a few things... First of all, only him to get rid of her body - which means that while there is SO. MUCH. LAND out here, a vast portion of it is extremely, extremely rough terrain. I don't believe he would have hiked out 5 miles with her body. Yes he is very large and she is very small, but I do know that dead weight is very heavy weight regardless, and he wouldn't have been able to trek her out incredibly far by himself. I do believe he drove her somewhere, but I am guessing she won't be as far off the beaten path as some assume. If you look on google earth at the amount of mountainous terrain heading away from Fort Davis via 118(hwy off where I live) I very much wonder if she may be out there. It would not be difficult to drive past the observatory a ways, pull over, and drop someone literally straight over the edge of a mountain. They would become easily obscured by brush. These areas need to be searched! I have been searching here in Jeff Davis county, and will continue tomorrow. I am distraught for this family and Zuzu. How I pray she is found safe, but my hopes are dwindling..
BBM

Welcome and thanks for joining us, medic. :greetings: This is very distressing, especially for those of you who live there.

That's a very scary story. Wow! Good for you for being such a strong advocate for your friend! Did you ever find out where he had taken her and if she felt in danger? He seems like someone who doesn't like to be crossed, so I expect you're right that it could have been an argument that went too far.

As far as where he could have taken her, I think you may be onto something. It's hard to believe how dramatically the terrain changes from Alpine to Fort Davis and beyond. I've stayed at Davis Mountains State Park and visited the observatory. It's only 48 minutes from Alpine to the McDonald Observatory, so within an hour it could be done...two hour round trip. I hope you've shared this idea with LE. Have you seen them searching in your area. I thought they said they would be the other day. It's great you are searching on your own. Stay safe.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Alp...1!1s0x86ef8e1e08b7579b:0xfe4176c642e99fd3!3e0

Him being a pharmacist also means he had easy access to substances that would render someone unconscious.....just sayin. That's part of my theory from day 1.

I also want to say that I found his FB the day this thread started & after clicking to see his pic closer, I recoiled, unexpectedly. I can't explain it. Had no reason to be suspicious at that point. I hope we're all wrong about him.
Just to clarify, he's a pharmacy technician, NOT a pharmacist. Huge difference.

ETA I see someone else pointed this out.

Welcome medic.......I'm thankful your friend is alright after that frightening encounter with RF. thanks for joining us here on ZuZu's behalf.

To me it seems more likely this was an argument gone awry than premeditated.
And that leaves a few things... First of all, only him to get rid of her body - which means that while there is SO. MUCH. LAND out here, a vast portion of it is extremely, extremely rough terrain. I don't believe he would have hiked out 5 miles with her body. Yes he is very large and she is very small, but I do know that dead weight is very heavy weight regardless, and he wouldn't have been able to trek her out incredibly far by himself. I do believe he drove her somewhere, but I am guessing she won't be as far off the beaten path as some assume. If you look on google earth at the amount of mountainous terrain heading away from Fort Davis via 118(hwy off where I live) I very much wonder if she may be out there. It would not be difficult to drive past the observatory a ways, pull over, and drop someone literally straight over the edge of a mountain. They would become easily obscured by brush. These areas need to be searched! I have been searching here in Jeff Davis county, and will continue tomorrow. I am distraught for this family and Zuzu. How I pray she is found safe, but my hopes are dwindling..

Respectfully Bolded By Me.

Thank you for your very insightful post, medic. I, too, find your information completely credible. Along with Lilibet, I am also curious as to where RF took your friend, what happened, and whether he harmed her in any way; if you cannot share, or don't feel comfortable doing so, I understand 100%.

It sounds like he has a short fuse, and is quite a coward ("and he dared to step up to me as though he was going to lay his hands on me."; "He is a large guy - over 6' and very fit."; "I am 5'1", 90lbs."), and agree that something similar to what happened to you might have taken place between RF and Zuzu after they went to the movies, and it went went too far (most likely, there wouldn't have been anyone to stop him that night).

I have no idea where Zuzu could be. Following your theory, she (as in her body :() could be somewhere nearby, he could have taken her near or across the border (the latter with help - Zuzu is very small ... :(), or she could yet be elsewhere. I am sure LE has already looked into this and know the answer to it, but I would like to know after Zuzu and RF parted ways with their friends Tuesday night, how long it was until RF was seen again. Perhaps at least in part, the search areas are being determined based on that information.

Welcome, medic.
Thank you for joining the thread.
I hope your friend has spoken to LE. She may be able to offer some insight.
Prayers for everyone. Especially Zuzu and her family.

Dogs are invaluable and I hope they were used immediately. But once ZuZu was in a vehicle I'm not sure that air scent dogs could track her. I wonder if they can track specific vehicles! To find a deliberately buried body, they do need a tip about the general area according to this interesting link about how air scent dogs work. So I think they would need a specific reason to search that area off 118, even though it's a good guess. They are also very useful in wooded areas where drones can't be used.

http://www.vsrda.org/about-vsrda/using-air-scent-dogs

Interesting. That is from our state association - VA Search and Rescue Dog Assoc. I've been at a nearby park when some of their dogs and their handlers were going through recertification. The particular handler I spoke to had a half German Shepherd/half Belgian Shepherd and it was an air-scent dog. Amazing team.

Please relay this story to the police, if you haven't already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member