GUILTY UK - David Jackson, 78, killed by wife, Somerset, Feb 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves

CoverMeCagney

Reaction score
I’ve just stumbled on this murder case from Somerset, UK - the trial has just started this week and could be an interesting one.

A wife stabbed her husband to death after 24 years of marriage. As she was led away by police, seemingly unrepentant, she said “I know what I've done and, if I've not done it properly, I'll be really annoyed”.

Berrow death: Pensioner faces trial for killing husband

Woman told 999 operator her husband was 'bleeding to death with any luck', trial hears

Woman told 999 'I thought I'd got his heart but he hasn't got one' after stabbing husband to death | Daily Mail Online

Wow. I read the DM article linked above. With all the things she said it seemed she was determined and pleased to kill him. She even refused to do what 999 (he had called them) told her to do to help him, and stabbed him again during the call! But in court

Mr Quinlan said: '[Mrs Jackson] will accept [Mr Jackson's] unlawful killing or his manslaughter but she denies her guilt properly answers his murder.'

How is it not murder? Self-defence or DV or coercive control? I can’t think what else?

Def an interesting one, thanks @CoverMeCagney

Wow. I read the DM article linked above. With all the things she said it seemed she was determined and pleased to kill him. She even refused to do what 999 (he had called them) told her to do to help him, and stabbed him again during the call! But in court

Mr Quinlan said: '[Mrs Jackson] will accept [Mr Jackson's] unlawful killing or his manslaughter but she denies her guilt properly answers his murder.'

How is it not murder? Self-defence or DV or coercive control? I can’t think what else?

Def an interesting one, thanks @CoverMeCagney
From the BBC article:

Mr Quinlan told the jury they would hear about difficulties in the Jacksons' relationship, but added: "There is a difference, though, between a relationship with some occasional difficulties and one that is abusive and coercive and controlling.

"I use these words because these are the words Penelope Jackson used to describe her relationship with David Jackson - he was abusive, she said, he was controlling and he coerced her."

Berrow death: Pensioner faces trial for killing husband

A woman threatened to chop off her husband's penis before stabbing him to death following a row on Zoom - then wrote a confession as she waited for police to arrive, a court has heard.

(Crazy court continues… however, it’ll be interesting to see what “records” there are of previous abuse)

The jury were earlier told how police found a confession written on a pad by the telephone when they arrived at the scene. The note read: 'To whom it may concern, I have taken so much abuse over the years - look at my records….. But he was a good Daddy. However the mask slipped tonight. That was unforgiveable. I accept my punishment, may he rot in hell.'

I'm definitely not getting the same vibes from this as I did from the Sally Challen case (where my sympathy was with her, albeit I could understand people having reservations about the precedent it set), even if I treat her comments at the time as being down to a temporary mental state which also caused her to kill him, there's too many suggestions from long beforehand for me to find it easy to believe the defence here. Such as:

Woman, 66, accused of murdering 'violent' husband, 78, told police 'oh, good' when told he was dead | Daily Mail Online

"Ms T. said after her divorce from the victim had been finalised, he had told her Jackson had threatened to 'do a Bobbit on him' if he ever tried to leave her.

The alleged threat was a reference to a high profile case in the US at around the same time where a wife had cut off her husband's penis.

Ms T. said: 'He was very frightened. He honestly believed she was capable of carrying out that threat.'"

and

"Ms C. said Jackson told her: 'It's much easier if your husband kills himself.'

The jury heard that Jackson's third husband had taken his own life a few days after he learned of her affair with the victim."

Bolded for emphasis... hmm? If she's found guilty of this one I hope the police look into the third husband's death too... reminds me of Ian Stewart, although I do hope it's "just" a callous comment on an actual suicide.

All in all, I'll wait to see the defence evidence for the abuse and coercive control, but thus far, even if there was any abuse, I'm not convinced this is a tale of snapping under intolerable pressure, if it really is, then it's certainly resulted in some very unusual quotes o_O

Report from a week ago -

Penelope Jackson said the “extreme violence” had started after the suicide of the victim’s son from his first marriage in 1998.

[...]

She said she had gone to bed with a knife under her pillow for protection.

The statement said: “When I woke up I felt I couldn’t do this any more and I intended to take my own life and I planned to slit my wrists.

“I told David I had had enough and was going to kill myself and he said, ‘Get on with it then,’ – I then thought, ‘Why should it be me? It’s you.’”

Jackson claimed the victim had laid down on the spare bed and goaded her into stabbing him.

[...]

Jackson tells the call handler she stabbed him because “he thought I couldn’t go through with it”.

Woman who stabbed husband said she had ‘taken so much abuse’, court hears

Wife, 66, stabbed 'pain in the *advertiser censored**e' husband, 78, to death and threatened to cut off his penis | Daily Mail Online

• Penelope Jackson, 66, knifed her 78-year-old husband David three times in the kitchen of their bungalow in Somerset on February 13 this year
  • The jury at Bristol Crown Court heard she previously called police in December 2020 after they argued about the remote control for his pacemaker
  • She said his behaviour was not so controlling in that he would stop her seeing people, but described him as a 'pain in the *advertiser censored**e
  • The pair were married for 24 years before the fatal attack earlier this year, when Jackson told the 999 operator 'I thought I'd stabbed his heart but he hasn't one'

Oh my!

I hope she likes prison.

She sounds nutso, doesn’t she!

Years ago I worked with a woman who, years prior to that, had stabbed her husband to death in bed, after a marriage filled with (documented) physical and mental abuse. I believe she only served 3 years in prison because of mitigations, but I don’t recall the details as it was so long ago. She said she was glad he was dead but wishes she hadn’t been the one to do it.

From Dotta's link above.................

But she said his jealousy persisted and she told the jury about one incident when he wielded an axe on all their furniture in 1996 when she was preparing for a post in Germany.

She added: 'The dining room was smashed to pieces. He used an axe. The sofas in the sitting room were all slashed and he chopped all the furniture up.

'I was baffled more than anything. He said he got so angry and frightened that I would go to Germany and leave him that he had taken it out on furniture. He said something like ' it is better to take it out on the furniture than on me.'

Chilling footage shows moment pensioner in pyjamas is arrested after stabbing her 'abusive' husband | Daily Mail Online

From Dotta's link above.................

But she said his jealousy persisted and she told the jury about one incident when he wielded an axe on all their furniture in 1996 when she was preparing for a post in Germany.

She added: 'The dining room was smashed to pieces. He used an axe. The sofas in the sitting room were all slashed and he chopped all the furniture up.

'I was baffled more than anything. He said he got so angry and frightened that I would go to Germany and leave him that he had taken it out on furniture. He said something like ' it is better to take it out on the furniture than on me.'

Chilling footage shows moment pensioner in pyjamas is arrested after stabbing her 'abusive' husband | Daily Mail Online
But they both stayed in this toxic union for 24 years!

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Trailerguy68
Back