GUILTY UK - David Jackson, 78, killed by wife, Somerset, Feb 2021

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
I find it quite refreshing that she stabbed him and was just 'yes I did it, i admit everything' rather than what the very vast majority of male domestic murderers do - run away and or try and get away with it.

Wife, 66, stabbed her husband, 78, to death 'after he belittled her for serving bubble and squeak' | Daily Mail Online

A woman stabbed her husband to death following a row over serving bubble and squeak with a steak for her birthday, a court heard today.

Penelope Jackson, 66, stabbed David Jackson, 78, three times with a kitchen knife hours after they quarrelled during a family meal to celebrate her birthday.

Jackson told the court her husband got angry because she had prepared a side dish of bubble and squeak vegetables to eat alongside the expensive meal purchased by their daughter to celebrate her birthday.

'I was just horrified - it was the eyes again - they turned on a sixpence,' Jackson told the jury.

'I was absolutely horrified that he was being so nasty. The conversation which had been loud and chatty, just died.

'I said don't do this again and started to cry and I went to the side and I was crying quietly.

'I was just inside, in bits - my whole birthday being ruined - all over bubble and squeak.'

Penelope Jackson calmly admits to stabbing her husband

I find it quite refreshing that she stabbed him and was just 'yes I did it, i admit everything' rather than what the very vast majority of male domestic murderers do - run away and or try and get away with it.
Even though it is quite scary, I find it refreshing too. It is like she is only one of the murderers out there admitting everything and speaking her mind, telling the truth. I have no doubt though that it will be used against her in court, big time.

Hope she got very good lawyer.

Why do some people stay in loveless and hateful relationships with stubbornness of the maniacs??

Probably for the same reasons why domestic violence victims rarely leave. Believe they love him, that it will not happen again, scared of unknown and drastic changes, security etc.

I would think by the time of pension age, the funds and energy to leave are probably just no longer there. Very sad situation overall.

Previously it was mentioned that she was going to Germany. Anyone know if she has an army background?

Edit to add: After reading DM article, she is retired Ministry of Defence accountant. David Jackson served as a Lieutenant in the Royal Air Force where he met his third and final wife Penelope, who was an administrator, also in the Force. He was her fourth husband. They married in 1996 and lived in France and Germany where they were stationed before settling in Somerset, UK.

39317944-9262535-Retired_accountant_Penelope_Jackson_65_has_been_charged_with_mur-m-33_1613404888357.jpg

Last edited:
Even though it is quite scary, I find it refreshing too. It is like she is only one of the murderers out there admitting everything and speaking her mind, telling the truth. I have no doubt though that it will be used against her in court, big time.

Hope she got very good lawyer.

Probably for the same reasons why domestic violence victims rarely leave. Believe they love him, that it will not happen again, scared of unknown and drastic changes, security etc.

I would think by the time of pension age, the funds and energy to leave are probably just no longer there. Very sad situation overall.
I understand your point of view, but to tell the truth this fatalistic approach angers me.

Does it mean that a DV victim has no other way but to suffer in silence till the end of life?

It is 21st century and women have so many options now - there are shelters, local government agencies etc which help victims in need.

They were married for 24 years!
What about their children? Did they watch abuse unfolding in front of their eyes? Did they live in hell made by their parents?

I pity them.

Women must start to respect and value themselves and ask for help when necessary!

Otherwise we will meet here on countless threads discussing yet another victim - female or male :(

Last edited:
I just don't believe her at all !

While I was defending her just 2 posts back, just now hearing her 999 call and seeing police body cam video.... that is pure hatred coming out of her.

Reading more testimonies from his daughter and his 2nd wife about Penny threatening and making scenes at that time years back, confronting his 2nd wife while she was still just his mistress, her usual habit of goating people, both of them having an affair while still married to previous partners... speaks some volumes about theirs or hers character.

She is now changing her story about the day of murder and what she said.... probably realizing severity of her action or the punishment she might face.

I have a feeling she is mentally unstable but it is just my opinion.

I personally do not think she is mentally unstable, quite contrary...
I am not sure but would not someone working for Ministry of Defence have to go through vigorous clearances and some occasional testings?

After reading news articles she strikes me as strong personality and I am having a feeling that probably verbal and other abuse and control was not just from his side...

On another note, there is possibility that his brain surgery last year did indeed altered his behaviour.. as she claims.

Let'see what next few days will reveal, as the case is quite a rollercoaster. Tough jobs for jurors.

While I was defending her just 2 posts back, just now hearing her 999 call and seeing police body cam video.... that is pure hatred coming out of her.

Reading more testimonies from his daughter and his 2nd wife about Penny threatening and making scenes at that time years back, confronting his 2nd wife while she was still just his mistress, her usual habit of goating people, both of them having an affair while still married to previous partners... speaks some volumes about theirs or hers character.

She is now changing her story about the day of murder and what she said.... probably realizing severity of her action or the punishment she might face.

I personally do not think she is mentally unstable, quite contrary...
I am not sure but would not someone working for Ministry of Defence have to go through vigorous clearances and some occasional testings?

After reading news articles she strikes me as strong personality and I am having a feeling that probably verbal and other abuse and control was not just from his side...

On another note, there is possibility that his brain surgery last year did indeed altered his behaviour.. as she claims.

Let'see what next few days will reveal, as the case is quite a rollercoaster. Tough jobs for jurors.
I mean the present phase of her life, not the past.
Why would she kill her husband of 24 years if not in a fit of fury or a psychotic episode?
Does it indicate a strong personality or sb unable to control herself?

Wife stabbed husband to death when he called her 'pathetic' after she threatened to kill herself | Daily Mail Online

A wife stabbed her husband to death when he called her 'pathetic' after she threatened to kill herself with a kitchen knife in a row over a birthday dinner, a court has heard.

Penelope Jackson, 66, confronted David, 78, in the spare bedroom of their Somerset home, telling him she wanted to take her own life after he criticised her for adding bubble and squeak to a luxury meal of steak and lobster.

She claimed that when her husband, a retired lieutenant colonel, insulted her, and told her to go back to bed, she slashed him with the knife, causing a wound to his chest.

Mr Jackson called the emergency services to summon help and, during a recording of that call, Jackson could be heard stabbing her husband twice more.

When police and ambulance crews arrived at their bungalow in Berrow on the evening of February 13 this year, Mr Jackson was discovered in the kitchen with fatal knife wounds.

Last edited:
"Bubble and squeak"

English is a foreign language for me and it is for the 1st time I hear this rather comical expression.

Wasnt their whole relationship just "bubble and squeak"?
Unfortunately, it isnt comical but tragic.

The only person to say the victim was abusive is the defendant. To date none of his family/wives from previous marriages have stated they witnessed him being like that. That his behaviour altered due to surgery/age is pure conjecture.

Penelope Jackson has been married 4 times. We know husband 3 committed suicide apparently due to her affair. She states husband 1 was abusive too, yet the children of that marriage preferred to stay with him. You can follow her marriages with her maiden name of Dolling.

The victim has no way of defending themselves. PJ has subtly changed her story a number of times with the help of her defence. If there was a birthday dinner via zoom on the day of the attack was it recorded?

Having listened to the trial and watched the videos I believe this woman has either a personality disorder and/or a drinking problem.

The odds are the Jury will find her guilty of just manslaughter and the victim will be presented as the villain of the piece resulting in his own death.

The only person to say the victim was abusive is the defendant. To date none of his family/wives from previous marriages have stated they witnessed him being like that. That his behaviour altered due to surgery/age is pure conjecture.

Penelope Jackson has been married 4 times. We know husband 3 committed suicide apparently due to her affair. She states husband 1 was abusive too, yet the children of that marriage preferred to stay with him. You can follow her marriages with her maiden name of Dolling.

The victim has no way of defending themselves. PJ has subtly changed her story a number of times with the help of her defence. If there was a birthday dinner via zoom on the day of the attack was it recorded?

Having listened to the trial and watched the videos I believe this woman has either a personality disorder and/or a drinking problem.

The odds are the Jury will find her guilty of just manslaughter and the victim will be presented as the villain of the piece resulting in his own death.
She sounds like a black widow.
What is her charm that she lured 4 husbands? And the last one spent 24 years with her!

Last edited:
I see BBC Somerset reports further from the trial today;

Also giving evidence, son-in-law Tom Potterton told the court he and his wife had joined the defendant and Mr Jackson for the Zoom meal and that he had witnessed the argument, over bubble and squeak.

"David said that if Penny didn't stop going on about it, he would walk away and my wife started to diffuse the situation," he said.

"[David] said something along the lines of, 'You can't admit when you are wrong'. He was really calm, he just said it as anybody would," Mr Potterton said.

"Penny was upset. She looked as though she had been crying."

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pandaqui
Back