UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Not suggesting that a hitman killed AW, just demonstrating the line of thinking that might explain getting rid of a weapon quickly by dumping it in a nearby drain, imo.
I've no doubt that he was shot for returning the empty envelope still empty and that it was mistaken identity for a drug debt. Not a professional hit but an amateur from out of town acting for a third party. Get the money or shoot him. Wrong target, wrong street. MOO

Experts have stated that only a true master of guns could have used this murder weapon so effectively.
by Ashleigh Barbour
''Hollywood would have us believe that hitmen only strike in smokey bars, underground clubs and drive-by shootings.

For such a carefully-planned, clinically-executed killing to happen in a small Highland town would have been unthinkable before November 28, 2004 – the day Alistair Wilson was shot dead.

Criminologist and expert in profiling serial murderers, Professor David Wilson, says that the surprising thing about hits is that they usually happen in the last place to people would expect – and that even a quiet community such as Nairn was never immune.

He described the gunman who killed Mr Wilson as the ultimate “master hitman” – and says he believes he will never be caught.

Prof Wilson started researching the characteristics of assassins after serving Her Majesty’s Prison Service as a governor and latterly as Head of Prison Officers.

The Scottish criminologist said that hitmen could be put into four distinct categories.

“The first type is the ‘novice’. This is someone who is at the beginning of their killing career, possibly having just picked up their first contract,” he explained.

“The second is a ‘dilettante’. It’s usually someone older without a criminal background, who sees the quick fix money of a contract kill as their only way out of a financial crisis.

“Category three is the ‘journeyman’, who is an experienced, reliable, career criminal. But it is usually their connection to a specific criminal underworld that will lead to their downfall.

“The master hitman I don’t know a lot about – these are the types that are never caught.''

“But it’s not unusual at all for a master hitman to literally go to the door in broad daylight and shoot.''

Prof Wilson said the characteristics of the hitman who entered Nairn that fateful night tallies with what he has discovered through his research.

He said the gunman knew exactly what he was doing and how to cover his tracks.

“The master hitman comes into the community, conducts the shooting and then leaves,” he said.

“The reason they are not caught is because they are forensically aware and they don’t come from the local community where the hit transpired.''

“Sometimes they leave the gun behind, which is consistent with this case. Often the guns are modified and smuggled into the country.''

Experts have stated that only a true master of guns could have used this murder weapon so effectively.
Meanwhile, the police have said they are not looking for a hitman-<modsnip>

This was a very small gun with a .25 calibre-you compare that calibre to the 9 mm ammunition from today. This is not the type of gun that assassins, gangsters or law-enforcement officers use. It’s tiny! Alastair lived for an hour after a close-up shooting. Gangsters and paid assassins don’t allow this!

There are far riskier ways to kill someone if you were a hitman. Besides, assassinations are reserved for world leaders gang kingpins, heads of state the royal family.Etc…

It’s bizarre to me how people are trying to turn an already tragic death into a gangster movie.

When it comes to giving stories to the media for a pay packet, retired experts, criminologists ( who are not detectives) will turn it into a murder mystery because that’s what the media want. It pays the bills.

These alleged experts also claim that Tommy Hogg must have seen the killer on the bus- despite DCI McPhee saying very clearly in a 2005 interview that the man had been traced and ruled out!

Ask yourself why the people who are doing this who know this information continue to do so? I’ll tell you. It’s because it’s safe. Pin it on the dead guy.. pin it on the guy who’s already been ruled out. It’s what they do! It is also what they are advised to do by the PR teams so that they’re not facing liable.

<modsnip>

Have a good day.

Last edited by a moderator:

This was a very small gun with a .25 calibre-you compare that calibre to the 9 mm ammunition from today. This is not the type of gun that assassins, gangsters or law-enforcement officers use. It’s tiny! Alastair lived for an hour after a close-up shooting. Gangsters and paid assassins don’t allow this!

There are far riskier ways to kill someone if you were a hitman. Besides, assassinations are reserved for world leaders gang kingpins, heads of state the royal family.Etc…

It’s bizarre to me how people are trying to turn an already tragic death into a gangster movie.

When it comes to giving stories to the media for a pay packet, retired experts, criminologists ( who are not detectives) will turn it into a murder mystery because that’s what the media want. It pays the bills.

These alleged experts also claim that Tommy Hogg must have seen the killer on the bus- despite DCI McPhee saying very clearly in a 2005 interview that the man had been traced and ruled out!

Ask yourself why the people who are doing this who know this information continue to do so? I’ll tell you. It’s because it’s safe. Pin it on the dead guy.. pin it on the guy who’s already been ruled out. It’s what they do! It is also what they are advised to do by the PR teams so that they’re not facing liable.

<modsnip>

Have a good day.
Hoping you stick around, diverse opinions are welcomed and needed!

<modsnip>

Have a good day.

The gun may have been one that's not easy to kill with but the gunman did achieve this. And then with the lack of forensic and CCTV evidence, you have to ask, was the gunman just lucky that day?

<modsnip>

Have a good day.

Libel. But otherwise, yup.

Police Scotland have not named a suspect - but the BBC revealed last year that officers are now interested in a specific man.
He has now been jailed in connection with the supply of drugs.

<modsnip - quoted post was removed> A relative of mine worked with the potential suspect, he said that he was a very odd character. my cousin has been interviewed by the Police over the past year as he worked with the man in question. Some interesting stuff has came to the surface about him. The question we have asked ourselves is “ why would he get himself involved in a planning dispute”? Very bizarre

Same person in this 2009 article? The ages would fit, but this is the other side of Scotland:

Strangely Alistair was also originally from Ayrshire (Beith)

Link/Page Citation
Byline: MAGGIE BARRY rbbm.

''As police hunted for the killer last night, it was revealed that Alistair was planning to quit his high-flying job at the Bank of Scotland.

Friends said he was planning to set up a new business in his adopted home town.

The gunman asked for him by name - removing any doubt that his killing was a case of mistaken identity.

Last night a pal said: "Alistair was ready to quit the bank and set up on his own in a new business.''

''Cops cordoned off large areas of the town as they combed gardens and outhouses leading to the beach using sniffer dogs and metal detectors.

A post mortem was carried out yesterday to retrieve bullets from Alistair's body so cops can identify the type of weapon used.

Police are conducting house-to-house inquiries and studying CCTV footage from the nearby Braevale Hotel, known as the Shambles.''

Since it is established that Alistair Wilson was the target of the killer, why not take an interest in his work at the Bank of Scotland? He was working as a business manager.
We know that this bank was suspected in money laundering cases.And " Ian Stephen the Edinburgh-based expert who was an adviser on the Cracker and Prime Suspect television shows, says : " (...)
the crime exhibited "unusual features", such as the caller coming to the door. "If he had been a professional hitman, I do not think he would have been as obvious as that. And I don't think it was mistaken identity, because he asked for Alistair Wilson by name."

He believes that similar crimes were usually related to drugs or money laundering, where someone had a particular problem or grievance. "In such cases though, whoever is behind it is normally traced within a few days as the reason for the killing emerges pretty quickly. In this case, though, there is no one in town that knows anything about it. It is one of the great unsolved mysteries - it is baffling." One year on, who killed Alistair Wilson?

I add this Heraldscotland article from 2021.

Royal Bank of Scotland group faces criminal proceedings over money laundering​

RBS group faces criminal proceedings over money laundering

By GRAHAM GRANT, 18 May 2019
''A whistleblower who lifted the lid on a financial scandal has told of his fear banker Alistair Wilson was murdered as a result of the controversy.

Paul Moore was sacked in 2004 after raising the alarm over a loans strategy that would finally overwhelm bank giant HBoS, leading to a £20.5billion taxpayer bailout''

''Last night, police sources said it could not be 'ruled out' that Mr Moore was the Paul in question, but refused to discuss whether or not efforts had been made to interview him.

Former detective Peter Bleksley, 59 – who wrote a book on the shooting, To Catch A Killer: My Hunt for the Truth Behind the Doorstep Murder – said it was possible Mr Moore was the 'Paul' mentioned on the envelope that was handed to Mr Wilson before he was killed.

Mr Bleksley believes it is 'possible' that someone who worked at the bank knew Mr Wilson may have been about to raise the alarm about some form of financial wrongdoing, by contacting Mr Moore.''

Mr Bleksley said: 'I am convinced the reason for Alistair's murder lies within his work.'

''HBoS was acquired by Lloyds in 2009 and subsequently needed a £20.5billion cash injection from British taxpayers to prevent its collapse.

Mr Moore has previously said 'sales and marketing had got out of control' at HBoS by 2004.''

Does anyone really believe the decking theory which was known about very early on in the investigation?
Surely all the evidence points to the motive lying within Alistair Wilson's working life.

MOO

Does anyone really believe the decking theory which was known about very early on in the investigation?
Surely all the evidence points to the motive lying within Alistair Wilson's working life.

MOO

Or that whole layer of his personal life between ‘dad’ and ‘banker’ which is missing from all reporting of the case.

I notice if you google the person found with the drugs ; the people who stayed at the same address on 192 one of them has a name which at forst glance could be taken as Paul !

I read somewhere that his wife opened the letter and the contents of the letters remain withheld. I can’t find that anymore. Can anyone here corroborate that detail or did I misremember this detail?

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DeeKay
Back