UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
Interesting post from Highland & Islands Police Division FB today (assuming it is allowed as it is LE?).

“Additionally, we constantly review advances in forensic science. There has been significant investment in improving our DNA technologies in the last few years. With the advent of DNA24, we are now obtaining DNA profiles from items which, when previously tested, had not produced a profile. As such, we are continuing to review the items suitable for further testing in this case.

https://www.facebook.com/HighlandIslandsPoliceDivision/

Interesting post from Highland & Islands Police Division FB today (assuming it is allowed as it is LE?).

“Additionally, we constantly review advances in forensic science. There has been significant investment in improving our DNA technologies in the last few years. With the advent of DNA24, we are now obtaining DNA profiles from items which, when previously tested, had not produced a profile. As such, we are continuing to review the items suitable for further testing in this case.

https://www.facebook.com/HighlandIslandsPoliceDivision/
From above link.
He said: "We continue to pursue several lines of enquiry, one of which is the turquoise coloured envelope that was handed to Alistair by the person who attended at his front door. This envelope was the size that could fit a card and had the name "Paul" on it. The envelope was empty and has never been recovered.

I never realised the envelope was missing.

I wonder if the envelope ever existed ? Or was it a deflection technique ?

Seems very much like the gun came from someone local. Hmmm....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is from yesterday, not sure how credible this is:

“The information is that the man who went to the front door of the house went to negotiate and not assassinate.

“He was prepared to kill, clearly because he had a gun, but he did not intend to kill. Something went wrong.

“It could mean that Alistair was given an offer which he could not refuse but in fact he did and consequently paid with his life.

“I’ve also been told it’s common knowledge among some in the legal profession in the central belt as to why Alistair was murdered.

“Those in the know will not come forward for fears that an assassin will shoot them.”

Bleksley’s source said an envelope which the killer handed to Alistair is key.

The banker took it upstairs to show wife Veronica. When he returned to the door, he was shot. The envelope was never seen again.

[...]

Bleksley says Alistair’s decision to leave the bank may be significant. He was due to start work with an Inverness environmental consultancy a fortnight later.

The ex-detective thinks the killer may have been trying to change Alistair’s mind.

He added: “Alistair was serving his notice at the bank.

“Did he want him to remain at the bank? Was he shot because he owed money?

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/murdered-nairn-bankers-life-could-11587533

<modsnip>

The envelope story still makes zero sense. Why would he go upstairs to talk to his wife about an empty envelope? We've got dozens of empty envelopes lying about our house and they are certainly not a talking point.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only reason I can think of as to why he would be handed an empty envelope, is if he were expected to put some money in it? Could he have owed money to this ‘Paul’, went to speak to his wife and then was shot when he returned the empty envelope.

If someone turns up at a door with a gun they don't politely wait on the doorstep like a wee lad collecting the weeks milk money. They'd barge in surely. Why didn't they go for the wife as well as she was a witness. It's all very odd indeed!

Police make fresh appeal over 2004 gangland-style murder of a banker on his doorstep after replica of 1920s German pocket-sized 'ladies' pistol that killed him turns up in house clearance sale

On November 28 2004 Alistair Wilson spent the perfect Sunday rambling along the blustery Scottish coast with his wife Veronica before returning home for dinner and to tuck his two young boys into bed.

Hours later a strange man came to the door asking to speak to the 30-year-old banker.

The events that unfolded in the following few minutes would see Mr Wilson shot twice in the head and once in the body and his wife and children left without a husband and father.

The investigation into his murder stunned Scottish police and remains one of the most baffling unsolved cases in its history.

But police have now revealed more information on the case - and the murder weapon - which they believe could lead to Mr Wilson's killer.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...make-fresh-Alistair-Wilson-murder-appeal.html

Police make fresh appeal over 2004 gangland-style murder of a banker on his doorstep after replica of 1920s German pocket-sized 'ladies' pistol that killed him turns up in house clearance sale

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...make-fresh-Alistair-Wilson-murder-appeal.html

I read that there were two other guns found in Nairn of the same type as the murder weapon. Astounding. What are the odds of that ? It's not like this is a common gun. And the Wilsons were relative newcomers to Nairn ? Seems unlikely they would have been the targets of someone in the small town ? Was the gun used in the murder stolen from the same house that was cleaned out ? The house belonged to an elderly man who went into care. Who had access to his house I wonder ? waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I'm curious as to how the killer knew Wilson would be at home, because the description of Wilson's day suggests many variables with the only certitude being that the children would be put to bed, and I would be wanting certainty that he would be at home, not just a probability. So how does the killer know for sure that Wilson is in the house? But he must know. Well, then, how?

And the murder weapon was discarded down a drain very locally, it not being clear when the gun was discarded or by whom, only that it was discovered by a council worker several days after the murder took place.

We're invited to believe that the killing was in some way money/debt/bank/underworld related, which encourages visions of a fleeing killer quickly dropping the murder weapon down a local drain within minutes of the shooting.

However, it might also suggest a disposal of the weapon being carried out by someone with limited time, no opportunity to leave Nairn and this being done at any time prior to the weapon's discovery but not immediately after the shooting. Much less exciting.

You can't leave Nairn. Why not? Because something in your situation not only keeps you there but also limits your time and opportunity within Nairn. So now we potentially have a killer who resides in Nairn, who knows that Wilson will be at home, who after the killing is unable to leave Nairn and whom is possibly limited to being on foot and so can't go far from home.

In terms of the 7 minutes and mystery envelope, muffled voices and whatever was said between husband and wife, you could be at this for years and get nowhere, given that no useful description of the stranger at the door exists, the envelope has vanished and only one party to the conversation survives. Leaving us with a dying man on a doorstep and nothing else.

Mistaken identity? That is one huge house, frankly. And Wilson can be reasonably exactly described, his picture would probably be easy to find, if you had to find such a picture. This isn't some dim murderous city gang member stupidly killing the wrong person. The house is distinct. So was the victim, by age, appearance and address.

If I was possibly going to kill Wilson, hoping he would be at home, and so forth, I'd want to be very sure that my 7 minutes spent on his doorstep didn't include my filmed by his security cameras. I'd need to be certain that no such cameras were in place. The killer needs to have all of this information.

So the person who pulls the trigger is well informed. They know that they aren't on camera. Well, how? And how does the killer then manage to escape the area, again, without any trace of a vehicle, or any CCTV evidence from anyone, or from the town? Supposedly this killer has to stop to discard the weapon. He must be covered in blood. He's just shot a man at close range. And he just vanishes into thin air. Like he never existed. Just gone. No trace of him before, during or after.

Or the alternative explanation. That the killer was already in Nairn, known to Wilson, knew where he would be and that the shooting wouldn't be captured by any camera. That this is why there is no evidence of a suspicious vehicle or blood covered man dropping a gun down a drain or evidence of his existing.

What we need here is 'who benefits?' and then who did benefit, sufficiently to justify the murder. I have no idea. Otherwise than to surmise that the killer probably lived in Nairn, knew where Wilson would be on the night of the shooting, gained significantly from the death (or expected to), had no love of Wilson, was very well informed on the situation at the house, was unable to leave Nairn and that this was literal, so that the gun had to be disposed of very locally, it being, anyway, a gun obtained locally, possibly not for the purpose of murder at all, given that Nairn seems to have a problem with gun ownership.

All conjecture and surmise of course, but no less incredible than the version of events the police and media put out about the Wilson case.

I'm curious as to how the killer knew Wilson would be at home, because the description of Wilson's day suggests many variables with the only certitude being that the children would be put to bed, and I would be wanting certainty that he would be at home, not just a probability. So how does the killer know for sure that Wilson is in the house? But he must know. Well, then, how?

And the murder weapon was discarded down a drain very locally, it not being clear when the gun was discarded or by whom, only that it was discovered by a council worker several days after the murder took place.

We're invited to believe that the killing was in some way money/debt/bank/underworld related, which encourages visions of a fleeing killer quickly dropping the murder weapon down a local drain within minutes of the shooting.

However, it might also suggest a disposal of the weapon being carried out by someone with limited time, no opportunity to leave Nairn and this being done at any time prior to the weapon's discovery but not immediately after the shooting. Much less exciting.

You can't leave Nairn. Why not? Because something in your situation not only keeps you there but also limits your time and opportunity within Nairn. So now we potentially have a killer who resides in Nairn, who knows that Wilson will be at home, who after the killing is unable to leave Nairn and whom is possibly limited to being on foot and so can't go far from home.

In terms of the 7 minutes and mystery envelope, muffled voices and whatever was said between husband and wife, you could be at this for years and get nowhere, given that no useful description of the stranger at the door exists, the envelope has vanished and only one party to the conversation survives. Leaving us with a dying man on a doorstep and nothing else.

Mistaken identity? That is one huge house, frankly. And Wilson can be reasonably exactly described, his picture would probably be easy to find, if you had to find such a picture. This isn't some dim murderous city gang member stupidly killing the wrong person. The house is distinct. So was the victim, by age, appearance and address.

If I was possibly going to kill Wilson, hoping he would be at home, and so forth, I'd want to be very sure that my 7 minutes spent on his doorstep didn't include my filmed by his security cameras. I'd need to be certain that no such cameras were in place. The killer needs to have all of this information.

So the person who pulls the trigger is well informed. They know that they aren't on camera. Well, how? And how does the killer then manage to escape the area, again, without any trace of a vehicle, or any CCTV evidence from anyone, or from the town? Supposedly this killer has to stop to discard the weapon. He must be covered in blood. He's just shot a man at close range. And he just vanishes into thin air. Like he never existed. Just gone. No trace of him before, during or after.

Or the alternative explanation. That the killer was already in Nairn, known to Wilson, knew where he would be and that the shooting wouldn't be captured by any camera. That this is why there is no evidence of a suspicious vehicle or blood covered man dropping a gun down a drain or evidence of his existing.

What we need here is 'who benefits?' and then who did benefit, sufficiently to justify the murder. I have no idea. Otherwise than to surmise that the killer probably lived in Nairn, knew where Wilson would be on the night of the shooting, gained significantly from the death (or expected to), had no love of Wilson, was very well informed on the situation at the house, was unable to leave Nairn and that this was literal, so that the gun had to be disposed of very locally, it being, anyway, a gun obtained locally, possibly not for the purpose of murder at all, given that Nairn seems to have a problem with gun ownership.

All conjecture and surmise of course, but no less incredible than the version of events the police and media put out about the Wilson case.

Now this is a brilliant analysis. Spot on. Who actually benefited from this death ?

I read that there were two other guns found in Nairn of the same type as the murder weapon. Astounding. What are the odds of that ? It's not like this is a common gun.

It may depend on how common those particular pistols were in Germany where they were manufactured. A lot of souvenirs came back to the UK with soldiers who had fought in and later been stationed in Germany during WWII. (My late uncle, who was in the Royal Marines during the war, had quite a collection of top quality German binoculars "liberated" from German troops, dead and alive.) The police here still occasionally have Luger pistols and other firearms handed in when relatives clear out the houses of the elderly.

It may depend on how common those particular pistols were in Germany where they were manufactured. A lot of souvenirs came back to the UK with soldiers who had fought in and later been stationed in Germany during WWII. (My late uncle, who was in the Royal Marines during the war, had quite a collection of top quality German binoculars "liberated" from German troops, dead and alive.) The police here still occasionally have Luger pistols and other firearms handed in when relatives clear out the houses of the elderly.

You are right re the pistols and there availability. My grandfather passed in 1973 and 3 German pistols were found in a drawer, he was never in the services as he worked on the land. The family never knew where these came from, but the word was they were taken downed aircraft.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gretyr
Back