UK UK - Alistair Wilson, 30, murdered at home, Nairn, Scotland, 28 Nov 2004

Welcome to Websleuths!
Click to learn how to make a missing person's thread

DNA Solves
DNA Solves
DNA Solves
MOD NOTE:

Discussing or challenging moderation on the thread is not allowed, and those posts doing so have been deleted.

To answer the questions raised in those posts, you may refer to the links in my signature which contain rules that we all agreed to when we signed up here.

This is a snip from one of those links:

"Quoting an outside source is allowed when the content is intended to substantiate a post. Examples are a snipped portion of a mainstream media (MSM) news article or a legal or scholarly article. While Websleuths does not prohibit quotes from sources outside of WS, we reserve the right to remove the quote and link if the source is deemed inappropriate. Random blogs and podcasts are not allowed without prior approval by a Mod or Admin."

Everybody and their dogs have podcasts these days, and some of those podcasts contain accurate information, and some don't, some are responsible and some are not. That is why we ask that you not introduce random information into a thread without asking us to vet the creators first.

As the podcast in question in this case is from the BBC, which is MSM, it is fine to discuss it here, as long as you link to it.

Interesting. I"ve seen his face pop up in the news occasionally but never knew the full details. I don't understand why the gunman would have a conversation with him, let him go back into his house and only then shoot him in the head when he came back to the door. What a patient assassin.

Another thing that massively stands out is that police released a video of a child being told his dad was dead. I don't think I can think of a case where that has happened before.

Sent from my F3311 using Tapatalk
I’m starting to wonder if the reason for that is because one of the sons followed him to the door. ( Andrew)

The reason I’m saying this is because he said in the recent appeal, the last thing he saw was his father lying dead. And Veronica too had said this. But we hear her shouting “dad get the Kids” on the 999 call. So if they were in bed, and her dad did, get the kids. How did Andrew see it?

And I thought she’d already put them to bed? That’s what she says he was doing when the doorbell rang, and that she took over when he went to the door.

Perhaps the police think the killer hesitated due to his eldest son bring them too, and that’s why they released the footage of him being told his daddy was dead by the child psychologist.

I have found information that may be of interest! It needs a better sluth than me to dig deeper, if possible..

Alistair worked for the bank of Scotland in Edinburgh before he moved to Nairn.

He was murdered 8 days After Michael Karus ( dodgy Lawyer) was sactioned and his buisness Arrowbay ltd collapssed!

Edinburgh property tycoon banned from acting as company director

Karus had gone bust with debts of up to 20million.

Between March and May 2003 and in January 2004 ( 8 months before Alistair’s death, he had embezzled the sum of £413,052.81 while acting as the executor of a deceased client deceased. Due a later prison sentence he lost his law licence.

Karus banked with the bank of Scotland in Edinburgh and it was they who came across the Embezzlement. The deceased client Edith Hampson, he stole from, also banked with them.

Karus also had hidden accounts in Panama

Dominic Cummings from the law society was viciously attacked by a hitman called Robert Graham in 2006. His real name, born in Ireland, was Paul! Francis.

Kiwi hitman's life on the run - World News - NZ Herald

This book links the two Murders!
its all strange...I. like to think the police. looked into aws previous bank stints, too.

I know a bit about. the banking world and its always. struck me that the person you might call the. innocent party. is usually moved when something untoward has happened...whether that involves uncovering a dodgy customer or some conflict with a colleague...for example, a friend of mine was proved to be right when she accused a colleague of sexually harassing her...but she was the one who had to up sticks...maybe its a form of protection for the honest party

I have found information that may be of interest! It needs a better sluth than me to dig deeper, if possible..

Alistair worked for the bank of Scotland in Edinburgh before he moved to Nairn.

He was murdered 8 days After Michael Karus ( dodgy Lawyer) was sactioned and his buisness Arrowbay ltd collapssed!

Edinburgh property tycoon banned from acting as company director

Karus had gone bust with debts of up to 20million.

Between March and May 2003 and in January 2004 ( 8 months before Alistair’s death, he had embezzled the sum of £413,052.81 while acting as the executor of a deceased client deceased. Due a later prison sentence he lost his law licence.

Karus banked with the bank of Scotland in Edinburgh and it was they who came across the Embezzlement. The deceased client Edith Hampson, he stole from, also banked with them.

Karus also had hidden accounts in Panama

Dominic Cummings from the law society was viciously attacked by a hitman called Robert Graham in 2006. His real name, born in Ireland, was Paul! Francis.

Kiwi hitman's life on the run - World News - NZ Herald

This book links the two Murders!

Very interesting

I’d agree in part re keeping info to themselves. The other reason would be to keep Veronica safe. If she’s seen to know nothing she remains safe. If she knows everything and it’s revealed, she may need to fear for her safety.
yes, I can see that...probably why we've got no e fit...however, I suspect the criminals would have been clever enough to figure. that out, which would probably have put her in greater danger.
maybe the whole thing about allowing her to continue living there was one big double bluff...but it seems highly risky. to me

''The Doorstep MurderBBC Radio Scotland''​

A behind the scenes look at the investigation into the Alistair Wilson murder, one of Scotland’s most baffling unsolved cases. Presented by Fiona Walker''

''Episode 2 - The Envelope''
they also mention the gambling rumour...but stress that it is only a rumour....but this isn't about a local bookmaker, but a rather nasty gambling syndicate in Glasgow

the gunman may have gone back for further advice because of the children but I honestly doubt it.

imagine the scenario...the people behind the crime want aw to comply with something...which I. think is the correct analysis...if. he doesn't, they will kill him.
id have. thought a better way to handle. this would. have been to contact aw privately, and when he refused to comply, say you'd think it over...then he probably wouldn't disclose anything and you could turn up somewhere, take him by surprise and kill him immediately, taking. as little time as possible to be observed.

the ideas of going back to fetch the gun or ask. for. further instructions is what strikes me as amateurish and unbelievable, but I guess it can happen.

I’m starting to wonder if the reason for that is because one of the sons followed him to the door. ( Andrew)

The reason I’m saying this is because he said in the recent appeal, the last thing he saw was his father lying dead. And Veronica too had said this. But we hear her shouting “dad get the Kids” on the 999 call. So if they were in bed, and her dad did, get the kids. How did Andrew see it?

And I thought she’d already put them to bed? That’s what she says he was doing when the doorbell rang, and that she took over when he went to the door.

Perhaps the police think the killer hesitated due to his eldest son bring them too, and that’s why they released the footage of him being told his daddy was dead by the child psychologist.
She shouts 'take the kids', I.e take them upstairs - 3rd floor/grandad's annexe (the boys were being read to, so not asleep), Andrew followed his mum down, that's why she was yelling at her dad, to get the kids all up and away from ground and first floor.

New information should always be supported by cited sources. Similarly, information only supported by unreliable sources or no source at all should not be posted here.

I haven't heard or posted anything about local bookmakers, but I. did say that the b b c podcast...link provided...did mention. that there was a rumour, and nothing more than a rumour, that aw was somehow connected to a nasty Glasgow betting ring...personally ive never set much store by it and even less now as it seems to be a dramatisation of the local betting shop story, as detailed by another poster...but thought id mention it

Am I right in thinking that there were TWO independent witnesses who gave descriptions of a similar man at or near the scene of the crime, and yet no e-fit was produced? Mrs Wilson gave a description of the killer that was near identical to the one given by Tommy someone. Why was an e-fit not produced? And why did police wait 10 years or more to confirm the name Paul on the envelope? It would appear that the police did not want to give out information that would help the public identify the suspect. Why? We must assume that they didn't want to do this because they didn't want the case to progress, for reasons we can only guess at, probably something to do with AW's financial/professional job. One thing is certain, Mrs W knows a lot more than she has been coached to say.

Am I right in thinking that there were TWO independent witnesses who gave descriptions of a similar man at or near the scene of the crime, and yet no e-fit was produced? Mrs Wilson gave a description of the killer that was near identical to the one given by Tommy someone. Why was an e-fit not produced? And why did police wait 10 years or more to confirm the name Paul on the envelope? It would appear that the police did not want to give out information that would help the public identify the suspect. Why? We must assume that they didn't want to do this because they didn't want the case to progress, for reasons we can only guess at, probably something to do with AW's financial/professional job. One thing is certain, Mrs W knows a lot more than she has been coached to say.
it couldn't have been for mrs ws protection, because if the account we have is. true, whoever was behind. the crime must have known she knew these things....I know. the police want to keep some things back so that only those involved know, but so little has been released that this. is. one. reason I doubt the official version

In 2006:
January: Police say they believe the gun and ammunition were smuggled into the country.

February: Senior officers visit Europe as part of inquiries to trace the gun and ammunition.

October: Detectives reveal they have traced the man who supplied the weapon, but records do not go back far enough to reveal who bought it.

Alistair Wilson: A timeline of events since the Highland banker's murder

Originally, it had been assumed that the gun had been brought back to the UK as a WW2 souvenir. It now looks as though it was legitimately bought somewhere on the continent and brought to the UK more recently. What the police have not revealed is in which country it was sold or when. Publicising this could help jog memories. I also wonder if there has been an appeal in the country where the sale was made for information.

Last edited:
Is that right, that they traced the person who supplied the gun?
I read it to mean that they've located someone (probably a legitimate dealer) through whose hands the gun passed at some time. I don't read it to mean that they have found the person who supplied it to the murderer.
However, it appears that the police were still also promoting the idea that it was a WW2 souvenir as recently as October 2020:

Alistair Wilson: Weapon still a major clue in catching killer of Highland banker

Detective Inspector Gary Winter, of the Major Investigation Team, said: “ ..... We believe this weapon is likely to have been taken to the UK after World War Two as some form of souvenir, however the ammunition used in the murder is from the 1980s or 90s."

''BBC Scotland claims to have learned that police are now interested in a specific person who has not previously been part of investigations.

The BBC say the man was a regular drinker in the pub and was said to have kept guns in his home.''

''Earlier this year, police flew to Canada to quiz former hotelier Andy Burnett about a planning application Mr Wilson formally objected to in the days before his death.

And now the presenter of a BBC Scotland podcast has suggested police want to speak to a man listed as one of Mr Burnett’s friends on social media.

Presenter Fiona Walker, who hosts the Doorstep Murder podcast, said the man worked for the emergency services at the time of the murder on November 28, 2004.''

BBC Scotland claim the police are now interested in a “specific individual”, someone not previously identified in the case.

Up until recently, police said it was difficult to find a motive. In April, they said they believe the answer to the murder lies within Mr Wilson’s personal life, and was not connected to his job with the Bank of Scotland.''

''She continued: “It is worth noting that shooting and clay pigeon shooting is not an unusual pastime in rural areas around Nairn.''

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Snoopysnoop
Back